Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

30 Games Left ... Prediction Time

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

30 Games Left ... Prediction Time

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:40 am

How far do you see the Cavs going? And who will play in, and eventually win, the NBA Finals?

I think, even without Hughes, the Cavs will hang on to the #4 seed in the East, playing a little bit better than .500 ball the rest of the way, and ending at 48-34. This will get them home court advantage in the 1st round, and likely the Pacers, Wizards, or Bucks as their first round opponent.

For predictions sake, I will say the Pacers. Who I think the Cavs will defeat in a brutal 7 game series, with the final win being a Thriller in game 7 at the Q, which I will hopefully be at.

The good news about the #4 seed is home court. The bad news? They get the Pistons in the 2nd round. The Cavs are one year, a change of pace point guard to Snow, and a Charles Oakley clone awy from beating Detroit. Cavs go down swinging in 6 games.

Assuming Shaq stays healthy, the East Finals should be Miami and Detroit. The likely NJ-Mia 2nd round matchup should be a good one, but I don't see Joisey beating Shaq and Wade 4 outta 7 with 4 of those games in South Beach. It's irrelevant though, as neither will beat Detroit. That is an incredible basketball team, that plays great and selflessly together at both ends.

In the West, San Antonio and Dallas will play 2nd rd due to the screwy NBA seeding system. The Spurs will win, and advance to the West Finals. The other half of the west bracket will be interesting. Looks like Phoenix will be the #2 seed and likely win 1st rd. The #3/#6 matchup will be the Nuggets (get 3 seed cause of winning that shit division) versus likely either the Grizzlies or Clippers, either of whom can and should knock off the Nuggets. I could easily see the Griz or Clips also giving the Suns fits on rd 2. The more I see this Clippers team, the more I like em. Im gonna say they shock the world and advance to the West Finals to get their heads beat in by the Spurs.

Finals will be the same as last year, except this year the Pistons win in 7 games over the Spurs.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:22 am

Cavs out in the 2nd round to the Pistons in 5 games.
If Larry is back, it goes 7
Pistons-Mavs Finals
Pistons win
If Amare comes back, Pistons-Suns final
Pistons still win

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 am

Cavaliers finish with #5 seed, and lose in first round (is the first round still 5 games? Or, didn't they recently change it to 7? Anyway, I say they bow out 3-1 or 4-2).

I think the BIGGEST travesty is the possible West 2nd Round matchup of the SPurs and Mavs. They'll probably finish with two of the top three records in the league....yet square off in the 2nd round. That debacle will likely lead to a seeding change going forward. I mean, if you are Phoenix you have to LOVE your chances. No Mavs AND Spurs until the West Finals. And Phoenix gets an average Nuggets team in their Bracket at #3.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:43 am

Cavs slightly over .500 for the rest of the regular season.

They play Washington in the first round and squeak by only due to homecourt and end up stuck in the treads of the Pistons in the second. Detroit stomps the Cavs with or without Hughes in 5 games (remember, this is a pistons team that was better then the western conference all stars).

Pistons play the Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals and win a 6 game series.

In the west spurs beat the mavs in the second round (6-7 games) and then beat the suns handily (5 games) and move on to the finals to be beaten soundly by the Pistons.

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

.500?

Unread postby aoxo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:01 pm

Come on. Don't tell me you guys are buying into that 13-11 or whatever since the Hughes injury. They lost those 6 in a row on the brutal road trip immediately after losing him, but have since gone 12-4. They have 3 against Detroit, 2 vs Miami and NJ, and 1 against Dallas. Every other game they should be favored and ought to rack up the wins at about a .750 clip. Taking 1 from Detroit, splitting with Miami and NJ, and losing to Dallas leaves them at 18-11 to finish the season. Win vs Indiana in 6, lose in 6 vs Detroit but close games.
aoxo

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:07 pm

They play Dallas twice still.

And, this team has a tendency to play to the level of the competition. I say 17-13 at best for the last 30.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:39 pm

They play Dallas twice still.

And, this team has a tendency to play to the level of the competition. I say 17-13 at best for the last 30.

Exactly, and furthermore, they are not great on the road. Also, I hate to be a hater, but the team seems tired right now too, and I would not be surprised to see an end of season slump (not a full blown meltdown).

I project 47 wins (16-13 to close the year).

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA