Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Another 3rd quarter tank?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Another 3rd quarter tank?

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu May 24, 2007 9:44 pm

Cavs up by 12 at halftime, time for their usual 3rd quarter swan dive. Let's see if they can come out with some intensity for a change.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu May 24, 2007 10:06 pm

Yep, right on cue. Two field goals in the first ten minutes and the lead is down to one. Death, taxes, and Cavs tank in the 3rd.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby StewieG » Thu May 24, 2007 10:15 pm

You should join us on the cavs board ;)
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri May 25, 2007 8:39 am

We haven't been a good third-quarter team all year. I don't know why. That's something we'll have to figure out very soon or we're going home."

- LeBron James

Sooo...it is the players or could it have something to do with the opponents' coaches making great halftime adjustments while our coach doesn't?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby StewieG » Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 am

I can tell you why. It's simple. Because in the first two quarters, they attack the hoop. In the third quarter, they inexplicably stop doing that and start hoisting up contested jumpers. It's that simple. If nobody on that team knows that, then I weep for the organization.
StewieG

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri May 25, 2007 12:17 pm

Stewie, to our points in the other thread about the point guard situation. Out of the half Detroit turned up the heat with their on the ball defense, and the triumverant of Hughes, Gibson and Jones could hardly keep their dribble alive let alone get into a set. If not for two desperation Pavlovic J's as the shot clock expired, they wouldn't have had a field goal in the first 10 minutes of the third
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby StewieG » Fri May 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Yep. But they could still at least make an effort to get something inside. It didn't even seem like they were trying to do that for the first 8 minutes. And if nobody on the floor coming out of the half is capable of scoring inside, then move LeBron to the PF. Do something. Because this team will lose again if they have another bad 3rd quarter. It's to the point where I don't even want to watch the 3rd, because I know I'm going to end up pissed off because they keep taking long jump shots, and they keep missing said jump shots.

And my kingdom for a point guard.
StewieG

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon May 28, 2007 9:08 pm

Game 3, no 3rd quarter tank and the Cavs win. There ya go.

They had a stat showing the Cavs have been outscored by a whopping 49 points in the 3rd quarter so far in the playoffs. They outscored their opponents in the other 3 quarters. I'm tellin' ya, the 3rd quarter is critical. The Cavs need to come out attacking the hoop and moving the ball on offense. They can't stand around until hoisting up desparation jumpers as the shot clock expires.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby jb » Tue May 29, 2007 2:52 pm

It is a matter of half-time adjustments when it is this regular.

We have Mike Brown. Other teams don't.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Tue May 29, 2007 4:58 pm

Cavs tend to come out very lethargic. They play like.... me.

I am always very sluggish after the 1/2, my legs just aren't there for about 10 minutes after I sit. When we were playing competetively I would often shoot around during the 1/2 to keep the fatigue at bay.

If the Cavs were a decent 3rd quarter team they would be up 3-0, but unfortunately this is a present contrary to fact apothesis.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Tue May 29, 2007 10:13 pm

Furls wrote:Cavs tend to come out very lethargic. They play like.... me.

I am always very sluggish after the 1/2, my legs just aren't there for about 10 minutes after I sit. When we were playing competetively I would often shoot around during the 1/2 to keep the fatigue at bay.

If the Cavs were a decent 3rd quarter team they would be up 3-0, but unfortunately this is a present contrary to fact apothesis.

maybe they could get a game time starting lineup and a haltime starting lineup?

sounds dumb but their play is worse
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby StewieG » Tue May 29, 2007 10:14 pm

This team needs any sort of real offense, and it sorely needs a decent PG.
StewieG

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA