Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Young Cavs winning too much?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Young Cavs winning too much?

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:43 pm

You guys, this Cavs team has been exceptionally fun to watch over the last few weeks.

Question is, are they playing too well, too soon? The schedule down the stretch is tough, but this team is in serious peril of winning 27-30 games, and playing their way out of the top pick that they need to round out the roster. (the SF/PF)

That being said, have to like the prospect of adding one more peice, sliding Varajao into the starting 5, and putting Zeller as the first big off of the bench.

I might have been more wrong on the Waiters pick than any player drafted in my Cleveland lifetime. He's not going to be the next Kyrie, but damn if he doesn't appear to be headed in the right direction. Way he played the last 2 nights with Kyrie on the bench has been surprising. (Minimizing stupid turnovers, hitting the deep (awkward looking) J's, and playing aggressive defense)

Hope i'm wrong. Hope that pick turns out alright, because the core in place isn't awful.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Re: Young Cavs winning too much?

Unread postby Doc » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:00 pm

It's been a fun ride this year. Love watching the growth. Livingston and Ellington have been my favorite acquisitions...I like Speights but he can be a huge black hole on O. Waiters has been improving, and he has this fire about him that I like. And I Iove watching Tristan improve...who would have thunk it?

Irving, Waiters, Livingston?, Ellington, Miles, Gee, Thompson, Andy, and Zeller is what we are starting with next year. Maybe Speights, maybe Walton on a cheap 1 year deal. We need another big next year and it would be nice having Gee coming off the bench. I guess having no real stars at the top of the draft, I'm ok with us playing well. Next year we should definitely be in contention for the playoffs...playing the way they have without AV, next year with him and whatever else we can add, it'll be a fun ride.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Fine with the wins. They're not a fluke. They are, as others have mentioned, well-earned and a result of having a stud PG and some growth from others. The trade was huge too. Immediate bench and immediate depth and the guys they got in that deal aren't kuckleheads. They can play some.

Win what you can win, get a player or two in the draft and keep developing.

Whatever happens after that happens.

YMMV
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Pretty critical to have one more lotto pick starting with that group. Should be Irving, Waiters, Pick, AV/Thompson, Zeller/Floor stretching big.

Team needs one more legit scoring option and some interior defense. Andy only providing one of those.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:Pretty critical to have one more lotto pick starting with that group. Should be Irving, Waiters, Pick, AV/Thompson, Zeller/Floor stretching big.

Team needs one more legit scoring option and some interior defense. Andy only providing one of those.

Still looking at a top 8-10 pick as it stands now, right? With a number of teams having the same number of wins.

Which is why I think Kyrie sits for a a lot of the last part of the season too.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:11 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Gradysmanldy wrote:Pretty critical to have one more lotto pick starting with that group. Should be Irving, Waiters, Pick, AV/Thompson, Zeller/Floor stretching big.

Still looking at a top 8-10 pick as it stands now, right? With a number of teams having the same number of wins.

Which is why I think Kyrie sits for a a lot of the last part of the season too.

Im just glad the schedule gets a bit harder, because Dion and unexpected production out of Walton and Ellington/Speights is fortunately/unfortunately keeping the team competitive. They had zero business beating Chicago on their court, and Toronto had been hot and basically beat Cleveland in every stat category in that game.

Gotta stay in the top 8, preferrably in the top 5. Top 5 gets you a floor of Tayshaun Prince/Serge Ibaka, which is definitely the type of guy they need to plug in.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:09 pm

Doc wrote:Irving, Waiters, Livingston?, Ellington, Miles, Gee, Thompson, Andy, and Zeller is what we are starting with next year. Maybe Speights, maybe Walton on a cheap 1 year deal.

Ellington is a restricted FA so you can add a ? next to his name too. I think it's likely the Cavs give him a qualifying offer and bring him back for one more year, or maybe even try to work out a 2-3 year deal like they did with Gee, but there's always the possibility he leaves.

I think winning is good. There isn't one player available worth tanking for this year and don't think this team is ready to win its way out of the top 6-8 picks anyway. If the Cavs are as hell bent on attracting a FA in '14 as it seems, next year is an important one in showing that we're close, so getting some winning experience down the stretch this year should only help.

There's an early/mid 90's Indians feel to this Cavs team for me. On that timeline we're in about 1992 where you've aquired a lot of young talent but you have to find out how it all fits together and determine the Kenny Loftin's from the Mark Lewis'. Next year will be 1993 where you're starting to develop your top tier guys into their roles and fill in around them, and the team is starting to come together and learn how to win, maybe even make a late push for the post season. 2014 would be 1994/95 when you go out and plug the gaps with your Murray, Martinez, Hershiser veterans and go for it.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 pm

I was annoyed at first but the top 8 of this draft looks kind of interchangeable (I'd love to get Oladipo wherever we end up). The confidence and growth they'll get from winning a few games probably trumps whatever ping pong advantage they're sacrificing. They're in no real danger of sliding out of the top 8-9 plus the lottery has a funny way of rewarding teams that actually try at the end of the year (like New Orleans last year).
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:01 pm

What do you guys think of the job Scott is doing? He should get a lot of credit for player development, but
I think some here had thought his team's lack of D will eventually become a liability.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:10 pm

I think if Scott is an instrument in Kyrie staying beyond '14, then he's amazing.

If Kyrie walks in '14, fuck 'em.

Either way, Oladipo or Noel is what the Cavs need to be shooting for next year. Don't need Mclemore and i'm not sold on Shabazz.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Without a clear cut superstar in the draft, this is the season to learn how to win. Should still get a good player, even if not drafting in the top 3 or so.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 am

They have enough picks stockpiled they can draft pretty much wherever they want this. Only problem, the perceived future value of those picks around the league is dropping, as the team looks like it's going to be very good as soon as next year.

Still, they lost tonight. Kyrie is on the "tank" (I have ZERO problems with this - lets watch this rook see if he can pass Lillard for ROY and develop the shit outta him as a hybrid G. ) A bunch of teams clustered at 20 wins...you're looking at landing somewhere between 3-8 regardless of how the season and ping png balls plays out. Add in the Laker's pick at 17 :thumb up: , and you can go get your guy.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 am

We get a taste of winning now, for next year to make a playoff run. Also, I think it is worth mentioning that Houston made some moves last year to stockpile picks for a trade offer with Orlando for Dwight Howard.

Right now we have Miami's '13 (top 10 protected) Sacramento's (top 13 protected), and The Lakers (swapping the least favorable pick with LA, Top 1 thru 13 protected), to accompony our own pick.

We can package these picks and a player (looking at you Andy, always injured)to a team looking to get under the luxury tax, or maybe a budding superstar (like James Harden), or even a team trying to deal a guy who is giving signs that he is not going to re-sign(Kevin Love.) I would much rather bring in a proven veteran in the prime of their career. If we draft 3 guys, roll the dice that they develop, and possibly waste 3 perfectly good years of Kyrie.

My biggest concern is that we will aquire a stiff that can't play at as high of a level anymore as they have preformed in the past (Elton Brand, Andrew Bynum) or someone who dissapears in big games (Carlos Boozer), or is always hurt and other organizations have given up on him (Andrew Bogut, or free agent Greg Oden)

I really like the direction were headed in right now, 10-7 since we made the Memphis trade. Next year, protect home court better, beat up on the lottery teams, and go .500 against the playoff teams (well maybe not that last one,since you don't need a winning record in the east to make the playoffs)...and we will be a playoff team.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Legit starting three that can score and another big preferably with some bulk on the defensive end for next year please...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:49 pm

I agree you go with a defensive big. That kid Nolens would be a nice pick up. Guy is a D freak. A healthy Andy would also be nice.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:27 am

This team really isn't so shitty these days.

If they continue to develop the young core and add some more young talent in this upcoming draft I think they could concievably be .500 next year. In fact if I were a redneck from SC I might be willing to bet my left nut on it.

If Dion played against NY we very well may have won that one too. Therefore, I'm glad he didn't play. Need another piece or two in this draft and then maybe a future FA in 2014 if we can get one. Who's going to be that first big FA to "take his talents to Edgewater Park Beach"?

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:20 am

I personally don't think Lebron is coming back to the Cavs in 2014 but how funny would it be if in July 2014 he goes on ESPN and announces that he is "taking his talents to Edgewater Beach in Cleveland"

then they break away to a Mike Polk hastily made video of Edgewater park. Maybe show some pigeons, some dead rotting sheaphead fish on the beach, some homeless sleeping on the park benches...and of course, a guy on a payphone. :partyers:

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:08 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:I personally don't think Lebron is coming back to the Cavs in 2014 but how funny would it be if in July 2014 he goes on ESPN and announces that he is "taking his talents to Edgewater Beach in Cleveland"

then they break away to a Mike Polk hastily made video of Edgewater park. Maybe show some pigeons, some dead rotting sheaphead fish on the beach, some homeless sleeping on the park benches...and of course, a guy on a payphone. :partyers:

Not half as funny as if he drummed up interest/talk of going back to Cleveland for two full years before having ANOTHER decision special to announce that he's going to the Lakers.

Cue cameras in downtown Cleveland of the sheep throwing another full on riot/tantrum.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm

well, they had Dion sit out an extra game today even though he practiced yesterday in what is probably another effort to keep the tank job going and the Cav's still win due to a great finish by Kyrie and another solid performance by TT.

On the plus side great to see the continued development of our young team and this win helps the Lakers in their quest to make the playoffs and our quest to get thier mid-teens first round pick.

When will people return to this board and start to embrace this team again???? Hell, I'm not asking for much....even Eyo and Pros coming back and rekindling their feud would be educational and quality entertainment...

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Probably as soon as we get that "other piece or two in the draft and maybe a FA in 2014 if we can get one."

They still have that pay phone at Edgewater?
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:When will people return to this board and start to embrace this team again???

Can't speak for anyone else, but I never stopped embracing them...bad as they've been the past two-plus years. There just wasn't a whole lot to discuss or even comment on, starting with what most people thought were two terrible drafts.

Never thought I'd see the day when Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson actually showed something on the court, but that day has come, PTL.

Lots of good things to be said for this team, many of which we weren't saying at the beginning of the season. Development of young'uns, re-tooled bench, and beaucoup cap space now top the list. Damn; Chris Grant looking more and more like a b-ball wizard! Who woulda thunk it?
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:19 am

pod2dawg wrote:They still have that pay phone at Edgewater?

It would be a real shame if they didn't and it would seriously degrade the quality of the hastily made video.

I'm guessing they must still have a payphone or two there. I mean who would be proactive enough at the phone company to drive down there and remove them? Now, whether they actually work or not may be another question.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:19 am

jerryroche wrote:
YahooFanChicago wrote:When will people return to this board and start to embrace this team again???

Can't speak for anyone else, but I never stopped embracing them...bad as they've been the past two-plus years. There just wasn't a whole lot to discuss or even comment on, starting with what most people thought were two terrible drafts.

Never thought I'd see the day when Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson actually showed something on the court, but that day has come, PTL.

Lots of good things to be said for this team, many of which we weren't saying at the beginning of the season. Development of young'uns, re-tooled bench, and beaucoup cap space now top the list. Damn; Chris Grant looking more and more like a b-ball wizard! Who woulda thunk it?

agree 100%

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 am

It's a Pretty Simple formula, win and People will talk. Its been pretty enjoyable this year, and alot more time on sportscenter/natl pub since Kyrie's Allstar break, def nice to see. Last nights win and the Lakers big comeback both helped our cause. Really looking like the Lakers should sneak in the playoffs.
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Lakers=playoffs.

Guaranteed.
pod2dawg

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 pm

So, I don't think they'd keep winning if this happened:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/90288 ... -cavaliers

If they're starting to float the idea of shutting down Kyrie, then I wouldn't be suprised to see it happen with 10 games left or so.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Nicastro13 wrote:It's a Pretty Simple formula, win and People will talk. Its been pretty enjoyable this year, and alot more time on sportscenter/natl pub since Kyrie's Allstar break, def nice to see. Last nights win and the Lakers big comeback both helped our cause. Really looking like the Lakers should sneak in the playoffs.

I had rehearsal and turned that game off in the 4th quarter disgusted with the Lake Show. I cannot believe they won. Wow.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 pm

well, Kyrie out with a bad shoulder, also some knee issues right? Good for the draft/tank but also very concerning. 3 years in a row with injuries now for Kyrie.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:17 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:well, Kyrie out with a bad shoulder, also some knee issues right? Good for the draft/tank but also very concerning. 3 years in a row with injuries now for Kyrie.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:22 am

Haha

I used to really want him to start to learn to play better D. I'm over that now. Not worth the risk.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 am

Amazingly the Cavs still have the 4th worst record despite all this BS winning as of late. Huge glut of nine teams all bunched up in between the 3rd and 11th worst records.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am

Kyrie will continue to get the shit beat out of him as long as he is our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd best scoring options.
pod2dawg

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

pod2dawg wrote:Kyrie will continue to get the shit beat out of him as long as he is our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd best scoring options.

Neck and neck battle between Kyrie and Daniel Gibson for the Cavs Iron-Man Award.

Speaking of which, either of them hurt their neck yet?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Shut him down for the year and get him on a weight lifting program, he needs to add 10-15 lbs if he ever plans on making it through a full season.
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm

peeker643 wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:Kyrie will continue to get the shit beat out of him as long as he is our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd best scoring options.

Neck and neck battle between Kyrie and Daniel Gibson for the Cavs Iron-Man Award.

Speaking of which, either of them hurt their neck yet?

He's taken less bumps this year than Mark Price used to take every week.

Paper Mache.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 pm

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playbypla ... 9&period=3

Daniel Gibson checks in at 3:51 left in the third. TIIIIIIIMBER

Fucking sucks that guy.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA