Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

John Hnat on Cavs

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

John Hnat on Cavs

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:40 pm

As many may know, John Hnat is a solid Cavs analyst and NBA fan who wrote for years here. Life and other responsibilities got in the way so he stepped back drastically from his TCF duties but he does occasionally write under his own blog. Linking an article he just penned because it's very good and very insightful and lays out his thoughts on where the team is headed. And even if you don't agree with it the man can state his thoughts and positions very well.

http://t.co/b4juV7X
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: John Hnat on Cavs

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Good read, thanks for putting it up.

Somebody on another board pointed out that the Lakers will have nobody under contract by 2014, so they could sign LeBron and let him pick his own team of free agents to join him. I don't know if the salary cap is enough to allow that to be done, where you get one max player (LeBron), and then add 6-7 hand-picked free agents who are above-average players or who are former great players on the downside of their careers (like Ray Allen this year) who just want to play for a World Champion before they hang it up and will work cheap.

Interesting idea, though. It's kind of like when Wade, LeBron and Bosh got together to figure out how they could all play for the same team.

Like I said I don't know if it's doable.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Like I said I don't know if it's doable.

Don't think it is, but if it could happen to any team it would be the Lakers. Superstars magically fall from the trees for them.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:19 am

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it, I'm a homer though so I like the optimism within the article.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:33 am

When it comes to Bron there is one important question not being asked, what does Nike want?
Do they want:
a)the Prodigal Son returns home to make good , and possibly repair a tattered image or
b)Fuck image, lets play nationally televised games right across the street from ESPN West, and make it easier for us to hawk shitty movies by giving floor seats to some coked up movie star, and their dirt bag agent.

(b) will win this battle every time, regardless of what option has the better odds to win rings.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 am

Good article, but I noticed that the entire plan is contingent on Kyrie signing an extension here. Does anyone really think he'll do that? Am I just being bitter and self-pitying when I expect him to leave, or is there a reason to think he will be different?
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm

peeker643 wrote:As many may know, John Hnat is a solid Cavs analyst and NBA fan who wrote for years here. Life and other responsibilities got in the way so he stepped back drastically from his TCF duties but he does occasionally write under his own blog. Linking an article he just penned because it's very good and very insightful and lays out his thoughts on where the team is headed. And even if you don't agree with it the man can state his thoughts and positions very well.

I have some acquaintances at Squire Sanders Dempsey downtown and one of their husbands has insisted on hearing that a deal to bring LeBron back has been all but done for close to a year. I have no clue to his ties to anyone of significance, outside of his connections as SSD. He also recently claimed it is one of the worst kept secrets in the NBA.

Much stranger things have happened I suppose, just not to Cleveland basketball.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Respect John's writing but he has us winning 40-50 games next year? Will Teen Wolf be joining the squad?
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Hnat's blog entry that Peek linked is a must-read post for any Cavs fan. Especially all those sports-talk dopes who are saying Byron Scott and Chris Grant should be on the hotseat. Yes, I'm looking directly at you, "Adam the Bull" from 92.3. That guy is such a toolbox.

The only conceivable way the Cavs could be playing this season any better is if they had gotten rid of Varejao before he became "EXTREMELY damaged goods". Before he was just "damaged goods". And as somebody said before in another thread it was a damned if you, damned if you don't type of thing based on how awesome he was playing.

By and large, Cavs games HAVE been watchable this year. They typically play competitively for about 40 mins per game and have an 8-minute spell where they look like an NCAA D-III team. Just as Hnat says this is the way the Cavs should want it to make sure they keep losing. We don't want to be like the Hawks and finish with a .550 winning pct each year and have no realistic chance at an NBA title, then drafting 20th year-in and year-out. Play competitively but keep losing. Draft high again and hopefully these guys all put it together at the same time and land a big free agent or two. And the Cavs' cap situation (I'm no expert but from what I understand) is looking great.

But I agree that 40-50 wins next year is asking a lot. Unless of course Grant can pull off a few more deals like the one just completed with Memphis.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Love Hnat's writing, and I wrote to tell him and Buff that I was sorry to see them stop writing full time here at TCF when they did.

Expecting a potential FA to sign here in 2014 (ie, Lebald) defies the pretense we've already established; no premium FA (especially the preeminent one) to sign here in Cleveland is a myth.

This team doesn't get substantially better UNTIL it gets the big man it needs in the rotation. TT is showing that he may develop into a league average big, and Zeller could potentially become a rotation guy, but until you get a front court presence that can consistently punish the opposing team and defend the paint, Cavs will continue to lose more than they win.

Unfortunately, you have a 2 year window with Kyrie to get that big into place; like the fact that at least the Cavs are putting another draft bullet in the gun. (they just have to hit on one)
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Mr. Hnat will make another appearance on the front page this evening. He has personal experience with the issues facing Andy Varejao right now and he spends some time discussing it.

About 6pm tonight on the front page.

The more I can get John on the site the better off the site is, IMO.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

We are LeBron's battered wife.

Don't see the point in getting your hopes up just for him to crush them again.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:The more I can get John on the site the better off the site is, IMO.

Agree
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

idoctribefan wrote:Play competitively but keep losing. Draft high again and hopefully these guys all put it together at the same time and land a big free agent or two. And the Cavs' cap situation (I'm no expert but from what I understand) is looking great.

But I agree that 40-50 wins next year is asking a lot. Unless of course Grant can pull off a few more deals like the one just completed with Memphis.

I am currently in that limbo between wanting the Cavs to win and wanting them to have the highest draft choice possible. I'm leaning toward the former. Winning can only be learned by winning. You don't go from 18 victories one year to 60 the next.

Cavs are currently like that big slab of raw hamburger on the kitchen counter. Throw on some "seasoning," add a slice of cheese and some onions to complete the vision, throw it on the grill, and prepare for a feast.

40 wins next year is NOT asking a lot; 50 might be more like it. Many of the mistakes this season are from youngsters not really knowing how to play the game, especially on defense. The talent is there, it just hasn't had time to develop. SIXTY wins next season might be asking a lot, but certainly not 40.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:17 pm

jerryroche wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:Play competitively but keep losing. Draft high again and hopefully these guys all put it together at the same time and land a big free agent or two. And the Cavs' cap situation (I'm no expert but from what I understand) is looking great.

I am currently in that limbo between wanting the Cavs to win and wanting them to have the highest draft choice possible. I'm leaning toward the former. Winning can only be learned by winning. You don't go from 18 victories one year to 60 the next.

Cavs are currently like that big slab of raw hamburger on the kitchen counter. Throw on some "seasoning," add a slice of cheese and some onions to complete the vision, throw it on the grill, and prepare for a feast.

40 wins next year is NOT asking a lot; 50 might be more like it. Many of the mistakes this season are from youngsters not really knowing how to play the game, especially on defense. The talent is there, it just hasn't had time to develop. SIXTY wins next season might be asking a lot, but certainly not 40.

Well, Kyrie is out tonight with some sort of knee issue.

And it's about the time of year when I start wondering if that's going to be a 'problem' that keeps him on the sidelines for most of the remaining season.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:25 am

They won regardless...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:52 am

Orenthal wrote:They won regardless...

This is the kind of hard-hitting, breaking news, depthful analysis you can find only on this board.

Makes me proud.

Although I'd prefer this to any Rattail post ever.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Another feel good win against a team that has routinely decimated us only puts that last piece of the young core in peril.

Thank you for the compliment, I could speak to the "glue" that is Luke Walton and his late game steal that aided in the victory, but does anyone really care. The OP is sufficient analysis of this Cavaliers season.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:48 pm

I swear I saw Luke actually get 6 or 7 inches off the ground in a defensive rebound attempt which resulted in one of his signature "slap it out" moves tonight.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 am

Bron's coming back. It will redeem and cement his legend status in a positive light. More positive, in fgact, than had he left. The purgatory got us Kyrie and a cast of capable role plyers we never would have had with him here. 3 championships with Miami and 4 here will get him over MJ.

So it shall be written. So it shall be done.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Bet you a beer clah.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 pm

FUDU wrote:
peeker643 wrote:As many may know, John Hnat is a solid Cavs analyst and NBA fan who wrote for years here. Life and other responsibilities got in the way so he stepped back drastically from his TCF duties but he does occasionally write under his own blog. Linking an article he just penned because it's very good and very insightful and lays out his thoughts on where the team is headed. And even if you don't agree with it the man can state his thoughts and positions very well.

I have some acquaintances at Squire Sanders Dempsey downtown and one of their husbands has insisted on hearing that a deal to bring LeBron back has been all but done for close to a year. I have no clue to his ties to anyone of significance, outside of his connections as SSD. He also recently claimed it is one of the worst kept secrets in the NBA.

Much stranger things have happened I suppose, just not to Cleveland basketball.

My cousin's sister in law said she saw it and it was written in Comic sans script.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA