Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

I know most y'all h8 Livy, but on Laura this is money

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

I know most y'all h8 Livy, but on Laura this is money

Unread postby jb » Sun May 13, 2007 9:46 am

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Dozen » Sun May 13, 2007 9:59 am

It's funny how different people interput a series. The Cavs were 23-7 since moving Hughes to the point and Sasha to the 2. They reel off 6 straight wins and when they lost their 1st everyone is kicking them again. This team has warts, no doubt about it but they had 50 wins and are leading in the second round 2-1. Look at the Spurs-Suns series. Most Spurs fans are jacked they are up 2-1 and the atmosphere around them is very positive. Then you look at the Cavs series where they jump out 2-0 and drop yesterdays game and alot of us are pointing fingers ect. Bottom line, it's a series........... There shouldnt be sweeps in the 2nd round. Sit back and enjoy it because we have the best possible line-up on the floor that we could have with our roster. :mrgreen:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 10:07 am

I don't mind losses so much when the game is tight or they play well but just fall short.

I do have a problem when they seem like they aren't interested in the game or have other things on their mind. They sucked yesterday.

Unread postby Dozen » Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 am

They did, but like Ive stated before........get a split and come home to finish them. Im actually glad they are getting tested a little to see how they respond to it. IMO it will help them in the next round to an extent. That was their 1st loss since Easter Sunday.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 10:13 am

I hope you're right Dozen and it lights a fire under their asses tomorrow.
I can't wait to see.

Unread postby Dozen » Sun May 13, 2007 10:15 am

FightDr wrote:I hope you're right Dozen and it lights a fire under their asses tomorrow.
I can't wait to see.

Me too Spoon :mrgreen: Just trying to look at the big picture here.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 13, 2007 10:37 am

I personally thought it was a lazy column by Livingston. And Hughes didn't deserve it given his play as of late.

Gotta write something about the Cavs game ... lets see, Hughes only had one assist! Lets make a column out of it.

Hughes may be listed as the teams PG, but LeBron is the one that fills that role. The only complaints I have with Hughes, now that he is being asked to distribute a little bit more ... is that he needs to exhibit better decision making when on the fast break. And he needs to help try and get Z involved a little more.

But to bust this guys balls just cause he had one assist?

Larry has been chasing around Jason Kidd for 40 minutes a night. And damn well the first two games. Hes playing 44 minutes a game. Hes shooting over 40% from the floor and over 80% from the line. Hes been in double digits scoring every game.

Yesterday wasn't his best game at the defensive end. He got lost on a lot of picks and switches.

But to hate on him after one bad game ... after a month of solid play and almost 20 PPG? Weak.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Benny08302 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:50 pm

This is actually one of the better columns I think Livingston has churned out recently.

And yes, LeBron is the playmaker on this team, but we should never watch a game where Larry A) has more shots than LeBron and B) has more shots than Z and Pavs COMBINED.

He's played decently, but he hasn't exactly shot the ball well (games of 4-14). He misses passes off of pick and rolls and fast breaks and he has a terrible shot selection. It's something the Cavs can over come with their rebounding, but that didn't show up last night...

He's hit some clutch shots late in games, but I'm not sure I want to give him a lot of credit for 'em, because they wouldn't need his 'clutchness' if he had hit some of other crap he hoisted.
Benny08302

Unread postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 1:48 pm

He wouldn't have to take as many shots if Lebron was more aggresive.

Unread postby Benny08302 » Sun May 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Oh I agree, LeBron needed to be more aggressive (12 assists aside) but there are possessions where Hughes just runs down and chucks a jumper (which is just slightly more annoying than the possessions where Eric Snow holds the ball for 10 seconds before simply handing it off to LeBron).

The fact that LeBron had 12 assists and no one else had more than 1 shows how poor the offense was.
Benny08302

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun May 13, 2007 11:19 pm

The Cavs need a point guard. And, this isn't necessarily to bag on Hughes, but man, do they need a guy that can create some EASY shots for some people. The only guy that does that now is the leading scorer. Hughes has done a nice job of late. When he, Lebron and Pavlovic are on the floor at the same time they are really active and causing teams problems defensively. Two issues with this are 1. How the hell did it take Mike Brown this long to figure out that you could play these guys at the same time (especially when Eric Snow was the only thing in the way) and 2. Hughes, while The Cavs best option, really isn't a true point.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby consigliere » Sun May 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Dozen wrote:It's funny how different people interput a series. The Cavs were 23-7 since moving Hughes to the point and Sasha to the 2. They reel off 6 straight wins and when they lost their 1st everyone is kicking them again. This team has warts, no doubt about it but they had 50 wins and are leading in the second round 2-1. Look at the Spurs-Suns series. Most Spurs fans are jacked they are up 2-1 and the atmosphere around them is very positive. Then you look at the Cavs series where they jump out 2-0 and drop yesterdays game and alot of us are pointing fingers ect. Bottom line, it's a series........... There shouldnt be sweeps in the 2nd round. Sit back and enjoy it because we have the best possible line-up on the floor that we could have with our roster. :mrgreen:

Two things....

Did this team get on a roll because Larry Hughes was moved to PG, or was it more that Sasha was inserted into the starting lineup and he took off? I think definitely moreso the latter. This team still needs a legit PG. Hughes is okay in the role for now, but this offseason they need to find a real game manager and distributor of the pill.

Second, I think most fans are happy with the playoff performance to date. But, the reason for some of the backlash from yesterday's loss is because of them looking like they had no urgency and being very lethargic. That is what is eating people up I think the most, and not the loss itself.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Mon May 14, 2007 7:59 am

Consigliere wrote:
Dozen wrote:It's funny how different people interput a series. The Cavs were 23-7 since moving Hughes to the point and Sasha to the 2. They reel off 6 straight wins and when they lost their 1st everyone is kicking them again. This team has warts, no doubt about it but they had 50 wins and are leading in the second round 2-1. Look at the Spurs-Suns series. Most Spurs fans are jacked they are up 2-1 and the atmosphere around them is very positive. Then you look at the Cavs series where they jump out 2-0 and drop yesterdays game and alot of us are pointing fingers ect. Bottom line, it's a series........... There shouldnt be sweeps in the 2nd round. Sit back and enjoy it because we have the best possible line-up on the floor that we could have with our roster. :mrgreen:

Two things....

Did this team get on a roll because Larry Hughes was moved to PG, or was it more that Sasha was inserted into the starting lineup and he took off? I think definitely moreso the latter. This team still needs a legit PG. Hughes is okay in the role for now, but this offseason they need to find a real game manager and distributor of the pill.

Second, I think most fans are happy with the playoff performance to date. But, the reason for some of the backlash from yesterday's loss is because of them looking like they had no urgency and being very lethargic. That is what is eating people up I think the most, and not the loss itself.

1] I think both moves compliment eachother personally. I dont see them having the same success with Snow/Gibson at the point and Pavlovic at the 2

2] They came from behind before half and got within 4 during the 4th so there was some effort. They were flat..so be it...move on. I'll take 6 wins for every loss like that from here on out. :mrgreen:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby pup » Mon May 14, 2007 8:00 am

Agreed, 99.49%. Larry Hughes is going to be their PG for a while. I think, more than distributing the ball, his length, size and defense enables the Cavs to be the best defensive team they can be. They are the tallest starting 5 in the NBA (I think) and that has been huge so far in the playoffs.

Whatever the reason is, this team is now 23-8 with Hughes, Sasha, LBJ, Z and Gooden as the starting 5. Why would we feel the need to change it this off season? You are never going to take the ball out of LeBron's hands often enough to make a "true" PG worth the cost.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 am

Pup wrote:Whatever the reason is, this team is now 23-8 with Hughes, Sasha, LBJ, Z and Gooden as the starting 5. Why would we feel the need to change it this off season?

Let's see what happens.

If we go on to win it all, then yeah, why change anything?

But, if for some reason we lose this series to the Nets, or we struggle with Detroit.....then you have to make some changes, no?
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 am

But, if for some reason we lose this series to the Nets, or we struggle with Detroit.....then you have to make some changes, no?

If we lose this series to the Nets, then yes, make changes.

If we struggle against Detroit, well a lot of teams struggle with Detroit. A lot of teams have that one team that they have to figure out how to get over the hump with. The Jordan Bulls, The Bad Boys both had to take their lumps versus one giant before becoming the giant themselves.

I think they are fine, and more important than bringing in a new PG, keepy Andy and Sasha around, continue to get improvement from those 2 plus Gibson. Shannon Brown could fill a big void, taking all of Snow's minutes and some of Hughes.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Mon May 14, 2007 10:10 am

I think they are fine, and more important than bringing in a new PG, keepy Andy and Sasha around

AV is a restricted FA and Pavlovic is under contract for 1 more season. AV however may bring in a sign and trade pg that could help. I like em, but not if he gets 5-8 million/yr.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 14, 2007 10:19 am

Pup wrote:
If we struggle against Detroit, well a lot of teams struggle with Detroit. A lot of teams have that one team that they have to figure out how to get over the hump with. The Jordan Bulls, The Bad Boys both had to take their lumps versus one giant before becoming the giant themselves.

Okay, but losing two years in a row to the Pistons would mean you are not fine. You obviously need to tinker with the formula to find the right mix to beat them. Which means, a change or two to the starting lineup.

Personally, I'd love to see Pavs as the 6th man off the bench and we get a legit PG in here. That is going to be the difference....although, I am prepared to eat crow on that given we are currently in the playoffs and have a good chance to win it all. :mrgreen:

Like I said, let's see what happens.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Mon May 14, 2007 11:19 am

Okay, but losing two years in a row to the Pistons would mean you are not fine. You obviously need to tinker with the formula to find the right mix to beat them. Which means, a change or two to the starting lineup.

I don't remember for sure, but I do not recall a major personel overhaul for those teams. It takes time. It take playoff experience. You make major changes, it is still going to take time, unless you know of a Piston Killing PG out there.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 am

I think what pup says has merit. I think Roker loves starting Larry at the 1 because of how big it makes the Cavs, and also what a formidable defensive starting five it gives them.

Short of a NBA Finals appearance, I still believe the Cavs will make a hard push for Mike Bibby this off-season. They went after him hard at the deadline, and will still like him this summer. Bibby can opt out of his deal and become a FA. However, given how lucrative his deal is ... and also given the fact that the Kings don't wanna lose him for nothing, I see a Bibby sign and trade to a city of his liking as a high probability.

PG is still the missing piece on this team. Larry at the point is the best solution right now given what we have, but its still not the best answer. As lead pipe pointed out, this team simply has to work too hard to get easy baskets. And they are below average in transition ... with LeBron James playing 45 minutes a night.

Gooden for Bibby with some spare parts thrown in this off-season. Makes alot of sense for both teams.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Thu May 17, 2007 6:04 am

Consigliere wrote:
Pup wrote:

Personally, I'd love to see Pavs as the 6th man off the bench and we get a legit PG in here. That is going to be the difference....although, I am prepared to eat crow on that given we are currently in the playoffs and have a good chance to win it all. :mrgreen:

Like I said, let's see what happens.

T, take a look at the ages of the follwoing players, consider how the NBA works as far as patience and longevity, an dthen get back to me:

Bron
Laura
Side Show Bob
Sasha
Gooden
Gibson
Shannon

Snow need to reture and free us of that albatross deal, Z can play in a role for a while, and Marshall & DJ will be gone in 2 seasons. Then you can tinker w/ adding a vet.

What this team needs is 3 things:

patience

time

a championship COACH

Bibby is too old. Wrong guy; wrong formula. Let Gibson develop and run the O through Bron. This is Bron's team. Unfair or not, as statitically great as he is, he's showing he's more Dirk than MJ this post season. Disappointing after last postseason.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA