Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavaliers/Nets & Pistons/Bulls

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavaliers/Nets & Pistons/Bulls

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Sure looks like the Pistons are sending a message right away.

Talk a bout a team that looked ready to take what they consider theirs.

As well as Deng has stepped up recently as Ben Gordon goes so do the Bulls.

Hopefully our boys took notice of the Pistons efforts Saturday and use it to motivate themselves to take game one this afternoon.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 12:09 pm

I like the Cavs in 6 games
Pistons in 6 also

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 06, 2007 3:21 pm

Hughes with some LARGE buckets today.

Men against boys on the offensive glass.

Really have to ? why Snow was on Carter with :30 left on the inbound?

A Nets fan has to ask why was Kidd covering James so often and when it counted most? Carter/Jefferson not interested in the challenge?

Nice battling today for our boys.

1-0 baby!

FUDU

Unread postby StewieG » Sun May 06, 2007 3:24 pm

LeBron played GREAT defense on Jefferson in the last posession. Didn't let him by for an easy layup, and didn't foul him. He can do it when he wants to...
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Dozen » Sun May 06, 2007 3:24 pm

Mr Kidd, How did that taste?

signed, Sasha Pavlovic
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 06, 2007 3:27 pm

Cavaliers win a good game to go up 1-0 at home in second RD and the post game talk is about Clemens going to NY?

WTF!!!!!

FUDU

Unread postby comish » Sun May 06, 2007 3:28 pm

Ugly Ugly Ugly, but 1-0 is better than 0-1. They looked EXCACTLY how I figured they would after a long lay-off. WHEN are we going to figure out how to get LBJ in the post :?:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Gritty win today. The Cavs were in a funk offensively, but all five members of the starting five stepped up in spots to carry the Cavs to a very important win.

I give credit to Danny Ferry for sticking by Z. After last years complete playoff no show, I figured Z's days of being a productive member of a postseason basketball team were over. He and Gooden ... who both sat in the 4th quarter of EVERY playoff game last year ... both have been huge for this team, especially on the offensive boards.

The Nets did a great job defensively on LBJ, knowing the team has no plays to get him the ball in the post. And Sasha in the first half with huge threes ... and that block late! And Larry. We all cringe every time he gets ready to fire, but those flat jumpers have been falling over the last five games.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Sun May 06, 2007 6:01 pm

I am really starting to think Z was dead tired in the playoffs last year, and part of the plan this year was to go to extreme measures to limit him sminutes to be fresh for this time of year.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby StewieG » Sun May 06, 2007 6:08 pm

Sasha's block is probably the difference in the game. It's a totally different game if he doesn't make that block, because then we're only up 2, and Jersey probably ties it at 77.

LeBron's D on Jefferson with 19 seconds remaining and Sasha's block were the 2 biggest plays of the game. Sasha's was probably bigger, but LeBron's ran the clock out.
StewieG

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 07, 2007 1:04 am

Seems to me that many of these guys are trying harder this year.

Pup's also dead-on with the idea of resting Z. Depth at center is important moving forward because it will allow Z to save his minutes and become a more valuable asset in the postseason. The depth at C this year makes it imperative that the Cavs find a way back into the draft. I've also been thinking that bringing Mihm back to play backup C/PF might not be a bad idea. He's a free agent at the end of the season.

Some guys are trying harder. Pavlovic has definitely stepped up. I think Hughes has too, though he's healthier than he was last year.

We've got an extra year of experience and a rookie who can contribute on both ends of the floor in Gibson. Gooden has been more consistent on defense and can be a danger on offense. This team still rebounds as well as anybody.

I think that they never would have won this game in the past. They clearly weren't on offensively but they never gave up. Different players stepped up when needed.

We've still got to get past the Nets, but I think this team matches up better against the Pistons than last year's team did - and the Cavs gave them fits last year.

--Fingers crossed--
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 07, 2007 2:29 am

Game 2 is the key to the series. I think if the Nets win that one, it's going to be a dogfight, probably 7 games. If the Cavs win it, I think we win the series in 5, maybe 6. I think we get one in Jersey, but not both. Huge difference in coming home up 3-1 and tied 2-2. Gotta get game 2. Hopefully they'll still be tired, and we get our legs back under us.
StewieG

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 07, 2007 8:57 am

That was a nice win yesterday. Props to the Cavaliers. I missed almost the whole game, but caught some of it on the radio on the way home from Go Diego Live with the kids.

I'll tell ya though, I wasn't one bit nervous or anxious heading into the game yesterday or wondering what the score was while I was at the show. Am I the only one that just feels like this playoff run is different? Last year's was so much more exciting.....guess most of us feel that it is a foregone conclusion we get to the EC FInals. I know that is bad, as Clevelanders especially, to think that....but I believe most of the fans are in the same boat.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Mon May 07, 2007 9:55 am

guess most of us feel that it is a foregone conclusion we get to the EC FInals. I know that is bad, as Clevelanders especially, to think that....but I believe most of the fans are in the same boat.

Anyone who thinks that should call a Dallas fan. I for one do not. The game was somewhat sloppy but had a good playoff feel to it. The Nets arent humps by any means and this series could go down to the wire. Im just gonna enjoy the ride and prolly the only playoff team for C-town this year.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 am

The Nets aren't an automatic out, but the Cavs definitely have been given the easiest road to their conference finals of anyone. They can't coast, though. The Nets are a good team, though their lack of rebounding hurts them as does their lack of an inside game on offense. I don't think the Nets and Cavs are as even as many think, but that doesn't make the Nets an easy kill.

Seems to me that a lot of people look at the Cavs as being LeBron and not much else. There's talent on the roster. It hasn't always shown itself because sometimes they have taken time off to just watch LeBron, but this team isn't loaded with stiffs. Like any NBA roster, there are some stiffs but there's good depth and the potential to have a big night from any guy in the starting lineup.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 07, 2007 11:18 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:The Nets aren't an automatic out, but the Cavs definitely have been given the easiest road to their conference finals of anyone. They can't coast, though. The Nets are a good team, though their lack of rebounding hurts them as does their lack of an inside game on offense. I don't think the Nets and Cavs are as even as many think, but that doesn't make the Nets an easy kill.

For me, at least, I am having a hard time really getting into these playoffs until we play the Bulls/Pistons in the EC Finals. Just blah matchups the first two rounds, although I admit the Nets are no schmucks.....but until this Nets/Cavs series gets to game three when the pivotal games start, these first two are so hard to really get into. In the meantime, I'll take what we have been given and hope we continue to roll. Although watching exciting series and games like in last year's playoffs is fun and tough on the heart, I'll take what we have been given so far.
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Mon May 07, 2007 6:12 pm

It's the playoffs
It doesnt matter the round or who they are playing, if you can't get into it, you're not a true fan.
Sorry

Unread postby buddycowley » Mon May 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Seems to me that a lot of people look at the Cavs as being LeBron and not much else. There's talent on the roster. It hasn't always shown itself because sometimes they have taken time off to just watch LeBron, but this team isn't loaded with stiffs. Like any NBA roster, there are some stiffs but there's good depth and the potential to have a big night from any guy in the starting lineup.

Agreed. Too many people that I talk to here in SoCal keep saying that the Cavaliers are going to have a tough time in the playoffs because they are "a one-man team."

WTF? Clearly too many people around here drink the TNT Hater-Aid, as all it seems that station can do is bag on the Cavaliers at every turn.

The key to the series is, in my mind, Sasha Pavlovic. If he can play within himself, hit some big shots when the time is right, and keep away from shitty fouls on Carter (which he did get a couple near the end of the game), the Cavaliers shouldn't even lose a game in this series either.

I love the way Z has been playing as well, but I don't see Brown leaning on him too much until he feels that he needs to. As the series drags on, I get the sense that the team will use Z more and more from Game One to Game Seven.

However, the MVP of the playoffs right now is Drew Gooden. The scary part is, he's actually stringing a number of solid games together, which is either a sign of good things to come, or a sign that Drew will hit his traditional slide of 3-4 games after blowing up in a few. His hustle, intensity, and work on the glass is keeping the Cavaliers in games.

The more confidence the secondary scorers for the Cavaliers develop, the greater the difficulty Detroit will face in beating us.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby furls » Mon May 07, 2007 7:27 pm

Z has been good and he typically plays good in games that don't feature elite, physical centers (Ben Wallace). Luckily, it doesnt seem that the Bulls will be around in the finals, so bully for us.

I am really pulling for SA in the west, I think that should the Cavs get into the finals they would stand a much better chance against the Spurs than the Suns, but I think the Spurs match up pretty good with the Suns. I just really don't want to see the Suns. I don't think they are the best team left, I just think they are the worst possible match up for the Cavs.

Like so many of you said, this team is about more than LeBron, but you would never know it listening to the media. He needs either Hughes or Pavolvic and either Z or Gooden to step up in each game.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 08, 2007 5:47 am

Pistons awaiting the winner of Cavaliers Nets series.

Bulls are toast.

FUDU

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 08, 2007 8:22 am

FUDU wrote:Pistons awaiting the winner of Cavaliers Nets series.

Bulls are toast.

Looks like it.

Although, what the Pistons did to the Bulls in Game 1 and 2 in the 2nd round is eerily similar to the beatdown the Cavaliers got in Game 1 and 2 in the second round from them last year.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 08, 2007 8:23 am

FUDU wrote:Pistons awaiting the winner of Cavaliers Nets series.

Bulls are toast.

These first two games are a perfect example of why the Bulls, as presently constructed, will never win a title.

All their scorers are jump shooters. This is why they are such a horrific road team. You go into a hostile environment ... against a team that can bring it on D like the Pistons, and it's tough to win with no one over 6'7 you can go to for easy buckets.

Gordon and Hinrich have been off. The Bulls have gotten embarrassed two straight.

Pistons in five. And they are going to be a formidable foe this year. Even more so than last year.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Dozen » Tue May 08, 2007 11:16 am

These first two games are a perfect example of why the Bulls, as presently constructed, will never win a title.

Their still gonna get a top 5 pick though, watch them get lucky and land Oden :eek :shock:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue May 08, 2007 2:40 pm

The Bulls problem right now is The Pistons are MURDERING them in the post. They are young. In coming years I would wager that between Deng and Thomas they are going to get to the bucket. Adding a potential big-timer in this years lottery.... What they are doing right now is paying there dues.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Dozen » Tue May 08, 2007 2:43 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:The Bulls problem right now is The Pistons are MURDERING them in the post. They are young. In coming years I would wager that between Deng and Thomas they are going to get to the bucket. Adding a potential big-timer in this years lottery.... What they are doing right now is paying there dues.

Exactly,good points Pipe and lets not forget what everyone thought last year when Detroit handled us the 1st 2 games. Bottom line we need the bulls to make this a series. Detroit was spent by the time they got to Miami.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 08, 2007 5:00 pm

I get what everyone is saying about the similarities of what happened to us last year in RD 2 games 1,2 and the bulls this week, but there is one HUGE difference....LeBron James.

The Bulls have nothing close to that and therefore stand little chance of getting anything more than a token victory from Detroit and only on a night when the Pistons get bored or go in a 15 minute shooting funk.

FUDU

Unread postby sandlot33 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:23 pm

Pavlovic's D on Carter is a huge reason we are winning this game...and all the offensive rebounds
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 08, 2007 10:42 pm

A sweep wouldn't surprise me now, this team is playing such simple, hard & fundamental ball.

NJ is lucky to not have been blown out twice with some of our untimely shooting slumps.

Let's get it taken care of and get the rest we will need for the Pistons.

Oh and BTW, talk about peaking at the right time, 10 wins in a row if I am not mistaken.

FUDU

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Tue May 08, 2007 10:48 pm

CAVS WIN!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

6-0

6-0

6-0

can they make it back to back sweeps?
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby StewieG » Tue May 08, 2007 11:00 pm

If this team starts hitting jump shots, it's scary. I was worried about the Nets at the start of the series, because of their "big 3", but now I'm seeing that we're a nightmare matchup for them because of our size and rebounding. They just don't have enough inside to win the series. If they get hot, they can take 1 or 2 from us, but I don't think they can take any more than that, unless all 3 of Kidd, Carter and Jefferson just start hitting unbelievable shots. I think we split in Jersey, before winning game 5 at home.
StewieG

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Tue May 08, 2007 11:02 pm

StewieG wrote:If this team starts hitting jump shots, it's scary. I was worried about the Nets at the start of the series, because of their "big 3", but now I'm seeing that we're a nightmare matchup for them because of our size and rebounding. They just don't have enough inside to win the series. If they get hot, they can take 1 or 2 from us, but I don't think they can take any more than that, unless all 3 of Kidd, Carter and Jefferson just start hitting unbelievable shots. I think we split in Jersey, before winning game 5 at home.

nah its a sweep

done deal 8) :cool: 8-) :mrgreen: :-) :smile: :)
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby comish » Tue May 08, 2007 11:07 pm

Much Much Much better game tonight. This thing should be over in five :thumleft:

They are rebounding MACHINES! :bball:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 08, 2007 11:11 pm

Good God the Nets are awful. Just a very mediocre team. Cavs SHOULD win this in no more than 5. Man, Cavs got the seeding of a lifetime, let's put the Nets away and take on Detroit in the EC Finals when the playoffs truly begin. Still feels like glorified regular season games so far, but I'll take it!!!

Go Cavs!
consigliere

Unread postby StewieG » Tue May 08, 2007 11:13 pm

nah its a sweep

done deal

I certainly hope so. The thing is, even when we aren't shooting well, as long as we're getting the offensive rebounds, we'll be in the game at the end. That's what helps us neutralize the advantage they have with Jason Kidd at the point. If we keep getting offensive rebounds the way we have been, and keep getting 20 more shots a game, they're going to have to play out of their mind to win. This is a HUGE advantage for us, and we have to keep exploiting it. We CAN sweep, it's just a matter of doing it. Hopefully Chicago can come back and at least make it a series with the Pistons, and maybe wear them down a little like we did with Detroit last year.
StewieG

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 10, 2007 11:30 pm

Wow. Pistons absolutely SHUTDOWN Chicago in the 2nd half. 20 points in a half? Wow.

Pistons in the EC Finals a formality now, and could be waiting for us. Our dream of them having to duke it out with Miami/Chicago looks like it won't become a reality now.
consigliere

Unread postby StewieG » Tue May 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Bulls are beating up on the Pistons right now. Doesn't look like Chicago's gonna blow this one.

EDIT: And the Pistons fans are leaving in droves with 6:00 to play in the game!

Bulls are shooting about 62% for the game right now. And that number has gone DOWN 10 points in the second half.
StewieG

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 15, 2007 11:49 pm

Wow, great job Chicago. Could they go home and get a win and really force a Game 7 after being down 0-3? Man, what a break this would be for the Cavs! (clap)
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA