Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Warriors/Mavs

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Warriors/Mavs

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:50 pm

I'll tell you what, this has been a helluva series so far. I've caught parts of each of the first three games, and I'll be locked in for the duration.

Im no Mavs hater. I actually like the team. Think the world of Avery as a coach. Terry and Josh Howard are key cogs on my dynasty league fantasy hoops team. Its a likable group to me. They've been my pick all year.

But I'd love to see Golden State snipe em 1st round. Simply put, it would be the greatest upset in the history of the NBA Playoffs. The whole Nellie vs his old team subplot is great. And the Warriors just match up great with the Mavs. They make em go small, forcing Dampier, Diop, and Devean George (three great defenders) off the floor in alot of spots.

I think they gotta win this one tonight to get it done. It's going to be tough to get the Mavs again in Big D in game 5 or 7.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:02 pm

I'd say a Warriors win tonight pretty much seals up the series. The Mavs could come back, but I can't see them winning three straight against the Warriors. Golden State is something like 6-1 against the Mavs in their last seven games against them.

GS is only 4 points behind in the 2nd Quarter. This is another great NBA playoff game to watch.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 pm

Ok. Half courter goes down. The gods are smiling on GS right now.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:46 am

What an unbelievable game! If you're awake, turn on this game now. TNT. It's back and fourth, the crowd is REALLY into it...as entertaining as this whole series has been, this game takes the cake. The winner of this game controls the series, I think. Unbelievable.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:53 am

This is unreal. Cuban may have a coronary.
consigliere

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:59 am

It's over! Warriors have a 3-1 lead in the series! Incredible!
StewieG

Unread postby GreatGoo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm predicting the mavs still come back and win this series.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:43 pm

greatgoo wrote:I'm predicting the mavs still come back and win this series.

They've got the talent, but GS has OWNED them over the past year and change. I think Dallas will win the next game at home, but pulling three games in a row off GS is a stretch when they have so many problems with them.

This series also lends credence to those that believe the League MVP should not be decided until after the postseason, although I can see both arguments.

Stick a fork in Dallas, they're done.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:42 pm

What a freaking game last night. I fell asleep mid 3rd, woke up with GS down 4 ... right before they made their comeback.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:34 pm

Not to take anything away from the Warriors, but Dallas is such a mentally weak team it isn't even funny. Apply a little bit of pressure to them and they crumble. And to think that idiot McLeod compared them to the '80s Celtics when we played them during the season. Seriously.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 01, 2007 9:57 pm

Let's go Warriors!
consigliere

Warriors/Mavs..

Unread postby CLEfan86 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Golden State in it in the fourth in game five in Dallas. What a story the Warriors are just for taking three from Dallas, imagine if they pull this out, unbelieveable.
CLEfan86

Unread postby StewieG » Wed May 02, 2007 12:44 am

Unfortunately the boys from Oakland fizzled down the stretch. But they still have a game at home to try to put it away before coming back to Dallas, where I don't think they can win again.
StewieG

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 02, 2007 7:53 am

What a game ... what a series.

Killin me though, I gotta wake up at like 5:45 every morning.

Game 6 is going to be a scene in Oakland. 10:30 start though! 9:30 I can handle ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Wolfy » Wed May 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Unbelievable series...best of the playoffs by far! Avery is trying to say the pressure is on GS...Sha...and I have monkeys flying out of my but. The first #1 loosing to a #8...OK buddy. Pressure is really on that overachieving 8 seed?
Wolfy

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 02, 2007 2:21 pm

IIRC it won't be the first 1 losing to an 8, Denver beat Seattle in the 90's?

But either way it would still be a HUGE upset and really pave the way for a Suns Spurs WC finals.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Wolfy » Wed May 02, 2007 2:25 pm

Swerb wrote:What a game ... what a series.

Game 6 is going to be a scene in Oakland. 10:30 start though! 9:30 I can handle ...

Dude...You got Tivo?

If not. It is a must have no if’s and’s or but’s...go get one, ask for Christmas, B-day, or strong arm if you have too. It is a must have after you own one...Trust Me! You can kick my dog before you mess with my Tivo.

All right, all right I don’t even own a dog, but you get my point!
Wolfy

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed May 02, 2007 2:50 pm

FUDU wrote:IIRC it won't be the first 1 losing to an 8, Denver beat Seattle in the 90's?

But either way it would still be a HUGE upset and really pave the way for a Suns Spurs WC finals.

Also Knicks over someone (Heat?). But I still remember Dikembe Motumbo, a spry 63 at the time, clutching the ball on the ground in the lane and laughing maniacally.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby pup » Wed May 02, 2007 3:03 pm

The most hated national guy discussed on these boards, Bill Simmons, makes some great points today.

1. This Warriors team is quite a bit different than the team that played 80% of their season.
2. Dallas is not that great. They beat the crap out of an overall weak NBA this year.
3. Golden State owns Dallas, with Nellie knowing the inner workings of Dallas better than anyone.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 pm

Wolfy wrote:
Swerb wrote:What a game ... what a series.

Dude...You got Tivo?

If not. It is a must have no if’s and’s or but’s...go get one, ask for Christmas, B-day, or strong arm if you have too. It is a must have after you own one...Trust Me! You can kick my dog before you mess with my Tivo.

All right, all right I don’t even own a dog, but you get my point!

I got it ... problem is ... I can't do the whole watching a game after I know the outcome thingie.

Sometimes I'll TIvo the last hour and try and watch it in the morning. But a 2 year old makes that tough.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 pm

Good stuff from Sam Amico's latest weekly NBA newsletter ...

Still more to like about Golden State-Dallas

When it comes to the Golden State-Dallas playoff series, I can't scribble in my notebook fast enough. Here are lots of random thoughts:

? This is the best first-round series I've ever seen, and suddenly, Golden State is the talk of the league. Whoever thought we'd be saying that even one month ago, when the Warriors needed a strong finish and some help to make the playoffs?

? People who love the NBA can only hope the Finals provide this much drama. This series has been THAT breathtaking, THAT intense, THAT much fun. No need for canned marketing ploys here -- this is pro basketball at its finest.

? I nearly shed a tear every time I see Warriors fans going crazy for their team. Mavericks fans are awesome too -- but you can just tell that the Golden State community is especially excited to be back in the playoffs after 12 years. For Warriors fans, this IS the Finals.

? Baron Davis has been the MVP of the playoffs. The Warriors point guard has been a bundle of energy and confidence, taking (and making) nearly every big shot. He's been unselfish, energetic, awesome. Right now, I'd take him over Steve Nash -- and I never envisioned myself writing that about ANYONE.

? Have you noticed that I'M WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS? Can you tell this series has me so FIRED UP it feels like I'm SHOUTING? I hope so.

? Josh Howard is one tough hombre. I would take the Mavericks forward over a lot of guys who get more recognition, simply because Howard picks opponents apart piece by piece. He also seems to really enjoy the role of the quiet assassin.

? Howard is averaging 21.6 points for the series and shooting a sizzling 54 percent from the floor. In the Mavericks' Game 5 win, he was 10-of-16 shooting for 23 points. He has also been an underrated rebounder and defender, grabbing 10.6 boards per game for the series.

? It's too bad that Golden State is getting next-to- nothing from forward Al Harrington. The Warriors could definitely use the rebounding help, not to mention someone with some size to defend Dirk Nowitzki.

? Don Nelson called out Harrington and young guard Monta Ellis after the Warriors' win in Game 4, saying he planned to give those two plenty of chances -- but they needed to start producing. Nelson also said until they do, he'll just have to use a six-man rotation.

? For all the criticism, Nowitzki has been great late in games. In Games 4 and 5, he buried 3-pointers to keep Mavericks afloat in the fourth quarter. He's been cool, calm and collected despite hearing complaints from fans -- and even a few from coach Avery Johnson.

? That said, you can tell Nelson has coached Nowitzki before -- as Nelson has completely taken away his sweet spot for the majority of the series.

? Nowitzki loves getting the ball near the free-throw line or top of the key and then making his move. He either turns around for a jumper over a shorter defender, or takes a couple dribbles toward the basket for a pull-up. Sometimes, Nowitzki will take the ball all the way to the hoop and either dunk or get fouled. But in this series, Nelson has sent an extra defender at Nowitzki as soon as he receives the pass. It's worked, as Dirk has looked confused and completely out of rhythm.

? I love Avery Johnson and think he's a wonderful coach. But Nelson has a clear advantage because, again, he used to coach Johnson's team. I also thought it was a major mistake for Johnson to start a smaller lineup in Game 1. Hey, Avery, you guys won 67 games -- make the Warriors adjust to YOU!

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Thu May 03, 2007 1:47 am

BTW are Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and the Chuckster the 3 worst at what the do or what?

EJ's roles is different than Kenny and Charles I know.

Kenny and Charles try so hard to make their points sound so intelligent but first they lack any decent kind of vocabulary even in regards to just basketball speak. Second they both repeat their current point like 3 times before they finish their current analysis. Then when the other ones weighs in on what the other just said they repeat that guys points but with a different set of words.

Never seen two professional analysts, that analyze the sport they actually played as professionals, stumble and bumble so much with words.

Charles: "The Lakers...Kobe is the best basketball player in the world but he can't, Kobe can't...the Lakers just aren't that good. Phoenix is just a better team period, when they play their brand of ball the Lakers cannot...the Suns are just too good, Kobe is the man but the Lakers..."

Kenny: "I think the thing about Phoenix is they are like a giant avalanche, once it gets rolling there is no stopping it. Phoenix is simply the better team."

Profound guys, nothing less than profound.

FUDU

Unread postby StewieG » Thu May 03, 2007 1:53 am

TNT's postgame show is about entertainment, plain and simple. I don't think they even try to hide that fact anymore. It's about getting a laugh. The real stars of that show are the guys that come up with the photoshopped pictures. Some of those are hilarious.

But if I want basketball analysis, I go elsewhere. Even ESPN is better than TNT for pure basketball knowledge.
StewieG

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu May 03, 2007 5:25 am

Has anyone seen when Barkely had to put the blindfold on and pick the correct donut from Crispy Cream? Absolute comedy and the only reason he is on the show. People don’t look to Sir Charles for advice on basketball. The guy is pure comedy and that is about it. Yes, his vocabulary is horrendous, but damn is that guy funny.

Swerb I agree it is an advantage that Nelson used to coach the Mavs but think it is a little overrated that he is the reason they are winning the series. I think that GS has one of the better records in the league since that trade. I also think that they are very hard to match up with. If Al Harrington were playing better this series would already be over. Regardless of all that, it is a great series and been a pleasure to watch, even though it does start at the wee hours of the morning.
Wolfy

Unread postby sandlot33 » Thu May 03, 2007 10:33 am

StewieG wrote:TNT's postgame show is about entertainment, plain and simple. I don't think they even try to hide that fact anymore. It's about getting a laugh. The real stars of that show are the guys that come up with the photoshopped pictures. Some of those are hilarious.

But if I want basketball analysis, I go elsewhere. Even ESPN is better than TNT for pure basketball knowledge.

agreed I only watch that show to laugh...and to me charles barkly is hilarious, he's just one of those guys that will say anything
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby StewieG » Thu May 03, 2007 10:10 pm

I'm PUMPED for the game tonight. Go Warriors!
StewieG

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 03, 2007 10:14 pm

StewieG wrote:I'm PUMPED for the game tonight. Go Warriors!

Yeah, me too. I just made a run for a frozen yogurt and a Starbucks in the hopes of making it up till 1:15 AM.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby StewieG » Thu May 03, 2007 10:34 pm

If this game is as good as the rest, you should have no problem staying up that late.
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Thu May 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Shit. Baron Davis heads to the bench with a hamstring issue. No idea how serious it is yet.
StewieG

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri May 04, 2007 12:39 am

I wonder who the pressure is on now Coach?
Wolfy

Unread postby StewieG » Fri May 04, 2007 12:47 am

Unbelievable. Warriors up 21 early in the 4th. Showing no signs of slowing up. Game. Set. Match.
StewieG

Unread postby FUDU » Fri May 04, 2007 1:01 am

Unreal.

This is solid proof that GS is no where near the team they appeared to be through out the first 60 games of the season.

I am willing to go so far as to say they have a great chance at defeating either Houston or Utah in the next RD, and I for one will be pulling for them all the way.

FUDU

Unread postby StewieG » Fri May 04, 2007 1:11 am

I think the Warriors match up much better with Houston than they do Utah. But both teams better take notice, because this Warrior team is good.
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Fri May 04, 2007 1:12 am

I want to see a Phoenix/Golden State western conference finals. How fast of a pace would THAT be? Has any series averaged 250 points a game between the two teams?
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Fri May 04, 2007 1:15 am

I loved the picture of the solitary Mavs fan looking pissed off in a sea of yellow. Classic.
StewieG

Unread postby FUDU » Fri May 04, 2007 1:41 am

Any bets Dirk doesn't even sniff the MVP, not even 2nd place.

IMO this is EXACTLY why these awards MUST be given out before the post season.

Dirk did deserve serious consideration for the first 82 games of the year.

Which is what the award is for.

BTW Cuban has blood shot eyes in the PG conference, must have been ballin a bit.

FUDU

Unread postby Guest » Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 am

Dirk WILL be the MVP.
Bye Mavs

Unread postby Dozen » Fri May 04, 2007 7:32 am

http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 04, 2007 7:47 am

Has Cuban melted down yet?

Man, a HUGE obstacle for the Cavs if they were to make the NBA Finals just went bye bye. I'm starting to feel something with the Cavaliers.....the door is open for them!
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 04, 2007 8:06 am

What a series. I have to say ... that was the most entertaining non NBA Finals, non Cavs playoff series I've seen in my lifetime.

What a 3rd quarter last night for the Warriors. I only made it half way through the 4th quarter, but it was well over by that point. Stephen Jackson (prolly my least favorite NBA player) was just an assasain last night. And Baron Davis ... what a series.

The Warriors will have a legitimate chance to get by Houston or Utah. And I agree with Stewie ... a Phoenix/Golden State Western Conference Finals would be must see TV.

If it's Cavs/Pistons and Suns/Warriors ... time to block those two weeks off the calendar.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri May 04, 2007 10:21 am

Consigliere wrote:Has Cuban melted down yet?

Man, a HUGE obstacle for the Cavs if they were to make the NBA Finals just went bye bye. I'm starting to feel something with the Cavaliers.....the door is open for them!

Three weeks ago you made some comment about the Cavs playing to there opponent’s level and not even making it out of the first round and how they got lucky to make it last year against Detroit...now they beat the Wizards and the Warriors beat the Mavs (I don’t know what this has to do with the Cavs?) and your talking Finals? What happened to the Bison's and all that jazz? A little wishy-washy don’t you think? What was that the winter doldrums? You shake that off? Nice to see that the Bison's errrrrrr Indians aren’t the only team you really care about with C-town. Nice to see you give the Cavaliers the love they deserve although one has nothing to do with the other considering they wont play anyone until they get past the Nets and Piston’s. It would take an act from God according to you three weeks ago, but nice to see you come around.
Wolfy

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 04, 2007 10:38 am

Wolfy wrote:Nice to see you give the Cavaliers the love they deserve although one has nothing to do with the other considering they wont play anyone until they get past the Nets and Piston’s. It would take an act from God according to you three weeks ago, but nice to see you come around.

The only reason I have come around is because of the draw the Cavs got. They got the break of a lifetime, and to me, this may be our best chance with the Cavaliers to win an NBA title. This year. The Nets/Raptors will not be easy....but this is the easiest road they likely will ever have to the Conference Finals and possibly the NBA Finals.

Getting the #2 seed was huge. Had they finished #5, I still believe they go down in the first round.

So, yeah, I have sort of come around. But, not because I think this team deserves its due. It is still a team with holes and all and I feel no differently about them today than I did a few months ago.....but the dynamic that has changed here is the door is in fact open, warts and all, for them to make a run this year. Just sayin.
consigliere

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri May 04, 2007 10:52 am

Oh, I agree. It is just nice to see after you dog me for saying the Cavs have the best shot at giving C-town its first Championship in a long time between any Cleveland team. Your retort was the Indians...SHOCKER!

I just want you to see the light...that’s all!

The Indians have what all the other teams want (in C-town) and are letting all their players go (except Westbrooke, which they only did cuz we're loosing CC and Pronk) to free agency or whatever. Could you imagine if the Cavs had the Indians talent level? Wow! The Brownies might start making plans for the Super Bowl in September!
Wolfy

Unread postby pup » Fri May 04, 2007 11:18 am

Am I the only one who sees this upset as a negative for the Cavs? The Warriors are not making it to the Finals, so this makes it easier for the Suns/Spurs winner to get there and I thought we matched up better with Dallas in a 7 gamer than either of those 2.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri May 04, 2007 11:32 am

Man, I dont know about ya'll but I am worried about the Nets...period!

The Sprus are the shiznizz...end quote. 8) :cool: 8-)
Wolfy

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 04, 2007 11:42 am

Pup wrote:Am I the only one who sees this upset as a negative for the Cavs? The Warriors are not making it to the Finals, so this makes it easier for the Suns/Spurs winner to get there and I thought we matched up better with Dallas in a 7 gamer than either of those 2.

Phoenix is winning the West, IMO ... and they are the NIGHTMARE matchup for the Cavs.

A Mavs/Suns series may have taken a little more out of the Suns, this is true. Kinda like what the Suns did to the Mavs last year ... before they went on to drop 4 straight to the Heat after going up 2-0.

But as Wolfy said, I just can't look ahead at this point. NJ and DET are both formidable. And this IS Cleveland.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 04, 2007 11:56 am

Wolfy wrote:Oh, I agree. It is just nice to see after you dog me for saying the Cavs have the best shot at giving C-town its first Championship in a long time between any Cleveland team. Your retort was the Indians...SHOCKER!

I just want you to see the light...that’s all!!

I'm just really positive right now after the Browns draft. :mrgreen:

Cavs have their best chance I think to win one right now, so go for it. But, I still say of the three teams the Indians have the best shot at a title in the next 2 years.
consigliere

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri May 04, 2007 12:18 pm

Consigliere wrote:
Wolfy wrote:Oh, I agree. It is just nice to see after you dog me for saying the Cavs have the best shot at giving C-town its first Championship in a long time between any Cleveland team. Your retort was the Indians...SHOCKER!

I just want you to see the light...that’s all!!

I'm just really positive right now after the Browns draft. :mrgreen:

Cavs have their best chance I think to win one right now, so go for it. But, I still say of the three teams the Indians have the best shot at a title in the next 2 years.

Oh, I know you do...I know you do!

Just a little harmless jab...while I can.
Wolfy

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri May 04, 2007 12:57 pm

Pup wrote:Am I the only one who sees this upset as a negative for the Cavs? The Warriors are not making it to the Finals, so this makes it easier for the Suns/Spurs winner to get there and I thought we matched up better with Dallas in a 7 gamer than either of those 2.

No. I was thinking the same thing. We have a puncher's chance against Dallas and SA, but I think Phoenix would run us off the floor. As it is, the door is wide open for the Suns now.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Fri May 04, 2007 1:05 pm

Call me crazy but we beat the Spurs if we meet em in the Finals.

Suns destroy us IMO, and I think Houston could give us more problems than we would think, not that they are going anywhere mind you.

First thing is first, beat the Nets.

FUDU

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA