Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Valacunias

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Valacunias

Unread postby scott » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 pm

http://www.lrytas.lt/videonews/live/

Woj just tweeted that you can see Vala versus the USA U19 squad here. Anthems right now.

More angst for Eoy?
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: Valacunias

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Jonas numbers: 25 MP, 23 PTS, 11 REB, 6-11 FG, 11-15 FT
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Brandon Phillips
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby daddywags » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Not to be a naysayer, I watched a bit of it and he looked really good to me. FTR, though, here is the roster of the US team he was playing against:

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u19/roster.html

Only one guy taller than 6'9" and he averaged 2 points and 1 rebound for Illinois last season.
daddywags

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Look guys, numbers that good weren't worth waiting another 19 hours to finalize an agreed verbal buyout. You just can't put a price on that much security.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 am

Luke Winn on U19 wrap-up:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

1. When I covered the NBA draft a few weeks ago, there was some surprise over the fact that the Cavs took Texas' Tristan Thompson at No. 4 -- mostly because every mock draft had Valanciunas in that spot, not because the assembled press strongly believed the 6-foot-11 Lithuanian was the better player. I've seen Thompson in person and on TV many times, and like him despite his offensive limitations, but after seeing Valanciunas' final five games here, I think the Cavs will deeply regret passing on him due to the year remaining on his Euro contract, and the Timberwolves and Jazz may as well. Raptors assistant GMs Maurizio Gherardini and Marc Eversley, whose team landed Valanciunas at No. 5, were in the building for the U19s, and his total dominance had to reassure them they made the right selection.

After posting stellar per-minute numbers in Euroleague, he averaged 23.0 points and 13.9 boards in the tournament, including 30 and 15 against the U.S., and 36 and 8 against Serbia in the final game. His player efficiency rating (29.0, on a pace-adjusted, per-28-minute formula) blew away the rest of the field. He's the opposite of a soft Euro big man -- "he never stops battling on the inside," one NBA scout said -- and he knocked down 81.1 percent of his free throws after drawing constant whistles. He also followed up his "I have not so strong body" gem-quote from the draft with one in the post-tourney press conference, when asked if he would now turn his focus toward his potential career in the NBA.

"Right now," Valanciunas said, "I focus on celebrating."
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 am

Givony watched the tourney w/ Winn and said even worse things, including NBA GM's texting him about how much teams that passed on Vala were going to regret it, etc....

The competition level was not very high, let's not lie here, but he showed that Noah style help defense and board destruction that you want in a modern five. Also continued to make his free throws and open shots.

His problems as mentioned before (size of ass, etc) were all also still relevant.

Also a couple of nice links:

Pruiti scouted Kyrie: http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/07/01/draft ... ie-irving/

And Vala: http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/07/11/how-j ... teammates/
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:09 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Eye, I just read part or all of most of those reports he has up just now. Will go back to look at the footage later. Intriguing stuff. I think the combination of his report paired with footage would serve a young high school or college player with some interesting learning opportunities to improve one's game. Interesting analyses of strengths and weaknesses.

Its freaky how specific statistics are kept now. Some people must have a ton of time to do that. Exaggeration alert: "On post up opportunities, when he catches the ball on the left block with his right foot above the block and he turns to his right against a left-handed defender and uses the backboard he averages 1.012 ppp."

As I read the reports, 2 things come to me even harder than before:
1) This really was a weak draft,
2) We really should have drafted Vala at 4. What the frick were we doing?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Synergy is one of the major reasons basketball is covered so much better (intelligently, interestingly and informatively) than football.

They log the video of every game and pay people to record the details of every single possesion.

Getting a really expensive sub lets you break down any game played just about anywhere and gives you access to the play charts.

Pruiti uses it for those crazy stats and the video he watches/turns into Youtubes.

Synergy is the shit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Well that and the fact that a lot of really smart and dedicated people cover the shit out of hoops.

NFL coverage is every bit as pedestrian as the sport itself.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Demeatloaf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:21 pm

I genuinely believe that Tristan Thompson is going to be a good player for Cleveland, but I cannot shake the feeling that Cleveland may regret not taking Jonas Valacunias. I was always a little bit perplexed by the buyout concerns considering that the owners have locked out the players. It's not like Cleveland is currently contending for a championship and needs an impact player immediately.

One never knows how these things will pan out, but I was a bit concerned when Cleveland didn't take (who I believed to be) the best player available who incidentally fills a position of need (Ryan Hollins?!?)
Demeatloaf

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm on record as believing not taking Valanciunas was a mistake. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat crow when the time comes. We'll know in a few years.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Demeatloaf wrote:I genuinely believe that Tristan Thompson is going to be a good player for Cleveland, but I cannot shake the feeling that Cleveland may regret not taking Jonas Valacunias. I was always a little bit perplexed by the buyout concerns considering that the owners have locked out the players. It's not like Cleveland is currently contending for a championship and needs an impact player immediately.

One never knows how these things will pan out, but I was a bit concerned when Cleveland didn't take (who I believed to be) the best player available who incidentally fills a position of need (Ryan Hollins?!?)

Welcome D! Glad to see ya made it and appreciate you stopping in. Between you and e0y2e3 I'm looking forward to the hoop talks and to whatever else you might bring.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Demeatloaf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Demeatloaf wrote:I genuinely believe that Tristan Thompson is going to be a good player for Cleveland, but I cannot shake the feeling that Cleveland may regret not taking Jonas Valacunias. I was always a little bit perplexed by the buyout concerns considering that the owners have locked out the players. It's not like Cleveland is currently contending for a championship and needs an impact player immediately.

Welcome D! Glad to see ya made it and appreciate you stopping in. Between you and e0y2e3 I'm looking forward to the hoop talks and to whatever else you might bring.

Thanks, Brian!

I uploaded my first post tonight. Hopefully the first of many.
Demeatloaf

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Ha, some sucker finally took the bait to write on the Cavs here?!?!

On a serious note, good stuff, as the Indians stuff here is second to none but man the Cavs coverage is pretty much the exact opposite. It's pretty much me posting to myself here and no one on the front page.

And you're a smart enough guy to carry the wagon there.

Cheers.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Demeatloaf wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Thanks, Brian!

I uploaded my first post tonight. Hopefully the first of many.

Putting it up now. Thanks and congrats on the first of hopefully many.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Demeatloaf » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:23 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Ha, some sucker finally took the bait to write on the Cavs here?!?!

On a serious note, good stuff, as the Indians stuff here is second to none but man the Cavs coverage is pretty much the exact opposite. It's pretty much me posting to myself here and no one on the front page.

And you're a smart enough guy to carry the wagon there.

Cheers.

Thanks. I look forward to contributing. I especially look forward to the lockout ending and having plenty more to write about.
Demeatloaf

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm still ticked. Especially now.
OldDawg

Unread postby Cleveland Matt » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:56 am

agreed I wanted them to take Valacunias and Irving, if I had know it would turn out the way it did I rather would have had Williams and Walker. TT will have a ton to prove to me before I can ever say he was worth that pick.
Cleveland Matt

Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA