Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Harrison Barnes is returning to UNC

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Harrison Barnes is returning to UNC

Unread postby tommieskoski » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 pm

According to Seth Davis of SI.

http://twitter.com/#!/SethDavisHoops/status/59965301420339200

Harrison Barnes will return for his sophomore season. North Carolina will be easy choice for preseason number 1.
tommieskoski

Re: Harrison Barnes is returning to UNC

Unread postby JJN » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:22 pm

DraftExpress: Harrison Barnes:"I'm here to experience college life, grow, receive a education, & be part of greatest basketball family in college sports."
2011-04-18 09:12:18
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:55 pm

JJN wrote:DraftExpress: Harrison Barnes:"I'm here to experience college life, grow, receive a education, & be part of greatest basketball family in college sports."

Bwah! :lmfao:

Three words- Lockout.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:56 pm

This is where I am with the Clips pick right now: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Fin ... yombo-3683

And more and more if we end up a 3/4 I'm starting to think we have to just say fuck it and grab Kanter and Bismack and just redo the front court entirely.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:
JJN wrote:DraftExpress: Harrison Barnes:"I'm here to experience college life, grow, receive a education, & be part of greatest basketball family in college sports."

Three words- Lockout.

it shouldn't be the lock-out. Word is agents are promising to float these guys all the money they need to get through the lock-out if they come out. Word from NC all along has been that he is going to stay, just fits him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Read the express article, and of course the nugget near the end of the write-up, about him needing a polished offensive post presence, that fits right into my Kanter fanboy take...

Sad I don't put what is going on in my head on this screen, cuz I was also thinking Maxiell when scraping the surface on Bismarck. Good to see his 'span is about 4 inches longer and he is 2 inches taller. A rotation of retard with offense (Hickson), offensively challanged shot blocking badass (Bismarck), annoying hustle guy that actually can roll to the basket and rebound (Andy), and PREMIUM post offense no slouch on the boards (Kanter) is enough to get me excited.

We suck everywhere else, but we're going to suck for a few years anyway, might as well get the bigs mature for the eventual title run...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:14 pm

On the same sit, if we happen to be #2 (course I still take Kanter)...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Der ... kdown-3684
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:37 pm

You think he stays all four years and/or gets his degree?

I'm still thinking he should have added "one more non NBA-lockout year of" after experience-receive and also fit in somewhere on the 'be part of the greatest' line as well.

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Three words- Lockout.

it shouldn't be the lock-out. Word is agents are promising to float these guys all the money they need to get through the lock-out if they come out. Word from NC all along has been that he is going to stay, just fits him.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm

I don’t think so but who knows.

I honestly think he just wants to bang bitches and hang out with his buds for another year while hooping instead of just being a rich adult.

That said there is something weird about UNC. I mean back in the day Dean Smith told Jordan and Worthy to leave and they didn’t. A lot of people have spent far more time at UNC than they needed to.

I also think how far they go in the tourney next year (and holy shit are UNC and UK going to be loaded next year) will play a major role for him and Sullinger.

I’ll say this re: the draft, we really really really need the NBA to not push through the 2 year rule and then we need to redefine tanking next year. This Anthony Davis kid is scary talented that is going to UK.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Man- you can do all that in a nicer house with NBA money.

I hear ya. But shit, in the NBA you get to be more of a kid than in college where ya gotta at least show up at a class or two and keep grades abve pathetic.

McAdoo's nephew is also headed to UNC, right?

Yes, depending on what Knight does at UK/NBA decision time it just got crowded at the Inn in terms of Final Four caliber teams. The Butlers and VCUs have a far less chance of advancing when the talented kids also have experience.

e0y2e3 wrote:I don’t think so but who knows.

I honestly think he just wants to bang bitches and hang out with his buds for another year while hooping instead of just being a rich adult.

That said there is something weird about UNC. I mean back in the day Dean Smith told Jordan and Worthy to leave and they didn’t. A lot of people have spent far more time at UNC than they needed to.

I also think how far they go in the tourney next year (and holy shit are UNC and UK going to be loaded next year) will play a major role for him and Sullinger.

I’ll say this re: the draft, we really really really need the NBA to not push through the 2 year rule and then we need to redefine tanking next year. This Anthony Davis kid is scary talented that is going to UK.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Yeah - McAdoo is real skinny right now but might have the second highest upside as a Pro out of his class (obviously behind Davis).

All I know for sure is that Kyrie's agent is floating him and word on the street is that pretty much every agent (big ones of course) was willing to float these kids. I don't know WTF is going on but it just seems like kids who know they are going to be average in the pros at best (Barnes, Henson, Sullinger) are just staying around.

And on top of your experience comment, there is also the fact that last years freshman class was pretty effing crappy re: the final four. This year's is MUCH better. As is the class after that.

Of course, I fully expect to end up with Jimmer and Kemba or some stupid shit as this point, watch the NBA input the 2 year rule and draft Sullinger and then manage to draft at the #10-15 spot for a decade.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:Man- you can do all that in a nicer house with NBA money.

I hear ya. But shit, in the NBA you get to be more of a kid than in college where ya gotta at least show up at a class or two and keep grades abve pathetic.

Yes, depending on what Knight does at UK/NBA decision time it just got crowded at the Inn in terms of Final Four caliber teams. The Butlers and VCUs have a far less chance of advancing when the talented kids also have experience.

There's also the night and day difference between his first half and second half. What if he realizes that maybe the hype/pressure of being "Thee" recruit affected his play - than he sorted things out. Maybe he just wants to go full steam into next season, go wire to wire, and see where that gets him. (All the while receiving the hand jobs and other shit)
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:49 pm

leadpipe wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Man- you can do all that in a nicer house with NBA money.

There's also the night and day difference between his first half and second half. What if he realizes that maybe the hype/pressure of being "Thee" recruit affected his play - than he sorted things out. Maybe he just wants to go full steam into next season, go wire to wire, and see where that gets him. (All the while receiving the hand jobs and other shit)

If he wasn't a sure-fire top 2-3 player this year I'd be all over that. I just don't see what he has to gain unless he's in the vast minority of kids that really do like school. If he is more power to him.

I also liked getting up at the crack of noon, shooting hoops all afternoon and bitching about 2 classes a day. That was usually my Sunday though. And no one was handing me $5million per to leave.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JJN » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:19 am

peeker643 wrote:I also liked getting up at the crack of noon, shooting hoops all afternoon and bitching about 2 classes a day.

Hell, subtract the two classes and that is the NBA. Unless you can significantly improve your draft stock (which Barnes can't, and may really hurt it), take the money. Always.

Instead of Kanter, I would like Valanciunas. Vala and Biyombo plus Hickson gives us a strong front court. Vala doesn't have the post game that Kanter does, but I'll take the bigger, more athletic, younger kid with tons of hustle, who has actually been playing the last two years.

Next years draft is going to be so stacked its absurd. Keep an eye on Quincy Miller, who is going to Baylor. 6'9 SF with a lot skill. Was really mature while spending time with a torn ACL, used it as an experience to learn the game and improve his work ethic. His coach seems to think it has really humbled the kid too. Looks and smells like Durant. Even if he is Durant-lite or Durant Zero, I'll take it.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 am

Vala plays a very soft pick and pop game that I just don't think is going to translate to the pros.

Listen to last weeks 4/13 NBA Today pod to get a good listen to it.

Really the only people high on Vala are draft express (who I normally prefer) but everywhere I look I see Darko like questions all over him. Want nothing to do with a soft Euro big who tries to play pick and pop and doesn't do a great job of it.

Bigger, sure, but at least Kanter has dominated at times at various places. Vala has a very spotty track record.

Reminds me too much of too many Euros that have failed. All the negative traits. Including being a stick and having no ups. He may be my least favorite prospect in the draft.

Rewatch the Nike Hoops Summit from last year. Kanter has shown he can ball with Americans and I frankly don't care if there is some rust. We've got time to knock it off.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 am

UNC might be able to beat a couple of NBA teams next season with Barnes staying. :hide:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:This is where I am with the Clips pick right now: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Fin ... yombo-3683

And more and more if we end up a 3/4 I'm starting to think we have to just say fuck it and grab Kanter and Bismack and just redo the front court entirely.

Lee, you think either could play the 4 ?

Wouldn't you rather have one of them and Kemba?

OK, serious about the first question...
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Three words- Lockout.

it shouldn't be the lock-out. Word is agents are promising to float these guys all the money they need to get through the lock-out if they come out.

That's what I figured. Will be interesting to see A) how much & how long they can float them and B ) if there are residual factors in future contracts for this class.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 am

Bismack is a defensive four, The Euro a post playing five.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:13 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Bismack is a defensive four, The Euro a post playing five.

So piss off to Andy and JJ isn't seen as anything more than a part time 4 ?
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:24 am

1) Most teams go four deep with their big these days

2) Andy will bring you more in a trade than anyone else, he goes ASAP. Should have been gone last summer for draft picks and youth.

3) JJ is a part time 4, IMO. Can't play D still and is still mad inconsistent. That isn't changing.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:57 am

^ add to this that '11-12 season is the last on JJ's rookie contract. Are the Cavs willing to pony up the coin that he'll be expecting despite years of inconsistent play?
I don't think JJ has it in him to play lights out for a season to earn a big payday.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:49 pm

JJ=Hinson?
Orenthal

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:1) Most teams go four deep with their big these days

2) Andy will bring you more in a trade than anyone else, he goes ASAP. Should have been gone last summer for draft picks and youth.

3) JJ is a part time 4, IMO. Can't play D still and is still mad inconsistent. That isn't changing.

Thanks mang.

The UK kids do anything for you if we slot 5 - 8 ?
jb

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA