Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Gilbert pretends playing young stiffs was strategy all along

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Gilbert pretends playing young stiffs was strategy all along

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 pm

"Brother Bart says go back to your forum kid..."

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Blame for me starts with TMLP because LBJ got his "spend it all" demand and TMLP didn't keep him in line (WAR: blowing LBJ every day and creating the monster he is today), then hits Ferry.

I'll just jump back in here again because 'Gilbert keeping Bron in line' is the funniest piece of fantasy I've read this side of Sarah Palin's twitter feed. Unless Gloria's the coach, nobody's keeping Bron in line. Hell, Bron, Bosh, 'n Wade could've teamed up with Rose 'n Noah in Chicago and decimated the league for years, but the team-up died the instant Reinsdorf told LBJ to leave Wes and Maverick back in Akron. Bron doesn't even put himself beneath Pat Riley's right-hand coach. What makes anyone think TMLP could've told him to sit down and shut up?

The only way this experiment works is if Paxson doesn't whiff on Luke Jackson over Al Jefferson and Ray Allen somehow decides to say yes instead. We were always on a seven-year timeframe, where TMLP screwed up was believing otherwise.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:52 pm

At this point in time I agree with you Madre, but when Bron was 18-19, etc, he was a different guy... in that he was still a kid.

And a real owner would have gotten into Bron's head the same way even Riley did this past summer.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Many in here said over and over again this team was not set up for a long term ride via a young and up & coming roster, most actually and that goes back to even the OBR sports talk days. But most also saw that same team as being quite legit as seasons went on and being able to beat anybody as long as they hit on some FA, over time most also saw them as being possibly the best if they ran their most athletic line up out there. Neither happened to the extent it should have, particularly the latter.

Anyone who says they saw this team as sucking for years is just damn plain full of it, and being completely disingenuous to the entire mystery of the past 3 seasons of whether or not LeBron would stay.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:43 pm

I called for like 50 wins this season.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Orenthal wrote:I called for like 50 wins this season, but in 2012 I'll say I called for 13.
:thumb up:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... ertstweets

CLEVELAND (AP)—Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is promising changes to his troubled team on his Twitter account.

Gilbert, who famously used social media to criticize LeBron James(notes) in a letter to Cleveland fans when the superstar left for Miami last summer, sent several tweets on his cavsdan account shortly before the Cavs tried to stop a 14-game losing streak Friday night against Milwaukee.

Gilbert thanked the team’s most loyal fans for their support and said “NOTHING will deter our mission to deliver to you the goods.”

Gilbert said he has learned patience and indicated he will make moves to improve his team. “You don’t panic when things get tough,” he wrote. “You think. You examine. You calculate. THEN you strike. And we will strike.”

Gilbert has kept a low profile most of the season.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:53 am

Strike? I thought they were gonna lock 'em out!

Jesus, now he's using the Lake Erie Monsters as a baseline for Cavs' success.

It's season ticket renewal time, right? Good luck, @cavsdan. LeBron took next year right out of town with him, and now you're looking at a lockout.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 am

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... lding.html

Scott said the fact that the Cavaliers are not panicking despite a streak of 24 losses in 25 games, and have not traded top assets -- yet -- reflects that Cavaliers brass believes that a turnaround is possible with the current roster. The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 24.

"If we're using that word "rebuilding" then we would have traded Antawn [Jamison] a long time ago," Scott said. "We would have traded some of the assets we feel we have. We would have traded J.J. [Hickson], we would have traded Mo [Williams]. We're not doing that.

"We still think we have some pretty good players out there, we've just got to get them all healthy and all on the same page. And in the process, we're still trying to develop some of our younger guys that are going to help us in the long run, and help us in the near future."

As if to support Scott's words, Gilbert Tweeted his philosophy on player trades, and said that the Cavaliers are positioning themselves to make moves.

"You don't panic when things get tough," Gilbert wrote. "You think. You examine. You calculate. THEN you strike. And we will strike."

Until then, the Cavaliers prefer not to call this year a "rebuilding" one.

"I'm not using that word," Scott said. "You guys can. But I'm not going to use that word."
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Gilbert pretends playing young stiffs was strategy all a

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:40 pm

So Manny Harris got "waiver"ed today.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Previous