Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Varejao out rest of the season

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Varejao out rest of the season

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Torn tendon in foot. News coming in via Twitter.

Cavs will win about three more games.
Last edited by GodHatesClevelandSport on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Varejou out rest of the season

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:59 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Torn tendon in foot. News coming in via Twitter.

Cavs will win about three more games.

That's gonna be a blow to those playoff chances for sure.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Varejao out rest of the season

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:02 pm

I couldn't name 3 people in the starting lineup.

The more ping pong balls the better.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Well that kills our best asset for a trade. LMAO if only Andy made the difference in a couple wins. At this point its obvious that no piece he will cost us any additional games. A lineup of Cass, Peeks, Madre, Lead, and CDT might win as much as these guys.

It wasn't Delonte that was the cog its was the more obvious LBJ. The bunch of support players have folded like a house of cards.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Orenthal wrote:Well that kills our best asset for a trade. LMAO if only Andy made the difference in a couple wins. At this point its obvious that no piece he will cost us any additional games. A lineup of Cass, Peeks, Madre, Lead, and CDT might win as much as these guys.

It wasn't Delonte that was the cog its was the more obvious LBJ. The bunch of support players have folded like a house of cards.

The supporting players have always sucked. It was just camoflauged by The Whore of Akron.

Andy can play. Now he's gone.

Best two other players (Mo and Jamo) offensively have never played any D, and that lack of D is why the C's made us their bitches in rd 2.

Everyone else should be in the D-League. Boobie could be a 4th guard somewhere, 3rd guard for a shit team. Manny Harris has showed some promise. Hickson makes Dru Gooden look like Socrates.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 am

Byron Scott should be one and done. He's a solid coach, but it's just not happening for him here.

This team is bad, but they're not this bad. They're not 12-70 bad. Even the pessimists were thinking 25-30 wins. Kelly Dwyer's 12-70 prediction was based on the Cavs dumping all of their veterans early in the season. No one thought they'd be this bad with all the vets still on the team.

This whole season turned on a dime when they were LeOwned on 12/2. Ever since then, just complete psychological devastation and rarely any desire to compete. That's on the coach. I think Scott has just given up trying to coach this team.

He signed on to coach LeBron. He signed on because, even if LBJ left, you still had some proven vets on the team like Mo and Twan, and maybe you make a trade and reload on the fly. He did not sign on for this.

Scott should be coaching a veteran playoff team. This is a bad match between coach and team, and it needs to end.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Wow, the first call for Byron Scott's head.

Even Mangini enjoyed a longer stay before anyone wanted to press the FIRE button.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:13 pm

papacass wrote:This whole season turned on a dime when they were LeOwned on July 8, 2010.

I think this is what you meant. Because really, all semantics aside between 10 wins and 25 wins, the season turned then into shit that day.

Personally, at this pace, I'd like to see Byron hang onto the job for another year after this lottery year.

It's working out way better than I hoped and now I don't even have to watch it. Double thumbs up :thumb up: :thumb up:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:17 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Wow, the first call for Byron Scott's head.

Even Mangini enjoyed a longer stay before anyone wanted to press the FIRE button.

It's not working out for him here. He was hired under one set of circumstances and those circumstances changed. Sometimes it happens. I like Scott, but this is not a good match.

Mangini's situation has no comparison to Scott's.
papacass

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Byron Scott knew what he was getting into. Here's an overlooked quote from the end of June. This is when I became convinced the Cavs would be complete dog meat w/out LeBron. If the probable coach of the team will go this far ...

Scott is hopeful James will return to the Cavaliers. He hasn’t spoken directly to James, but has talked to people in his camp, who say there’s a “50-50” chance James re-signs with Cleveland.

“He’s a loyal guy,” Scott said. “He wants to win.”

Without James, the Cavaliers would instantly transform from a title contending team to a rebuilding franchise. Scott isn’t fearful of that possibility because he’s been in similar situations coaching the New Jersey Nets and New Orleans Hornets.

“I would coach there without LeBron,” Scott said. “But they got a good shot at getting him back. Without him, they would probably go from 60 wins to 30 wins. But [without James], it’s still a better job than when I first started in New Jersey, and it’s still a better job than when I first started in New Orleans.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... cavs062810

Well, they ain't getting anywhere close to 30. And they are better off than New Orleans when Scott took over, if only because they have great facilities and an owner willing to spend some cash instead of an owner who just turned his team over to the NBA cuz he's going bankrupt.

Byron Scott is about the 8,000th reason the Cavs stink, with the first 7,500 being LeBron took off.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:37 pm

YES!

Love it when a plan comes together .

Get well Andy, but we badly need a 13 win season.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:46 pm

papacass wrote:Byron Scott should be one and done. He's a solid coach, but it's just not happening for him here.

This team is bad, but they're not this bad. They're not 12-70 bad. Even the pessimists were thinking 25-30 wins. Kelly Dwyer's 12-70 prediction was based on the Cavs dumping all of their veterans early in the season. No one thought they'd be this bad with all the vets still on the team.

This whole season turned on a dime when they were LeOwned on 12/2. Ever since then, just complete psychological devastation and rarely any desire to compete. That's on the coach. I think Scott has just given up trying to coach this team.

He signed on to coach LeBron. He signed on because, even if LBJ left, you still had some proven vets on the team like Mo and Twan, and maybe you make a trade and reload on the fly. He did not sign on for this.

Scott should be coaching a veteran playoff team. This is a bad match between coach and team, and it needs to end.

Yes. Yes they are.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:49 pm

pup wrote:
papacass wrote:Byron Scott should be one and done. He's a solid coach, but it's just not happening for him here.

Yes. Yes they are.

Agree with Pup. They are that bad. That's what happens when a 25 win team stumbles, struggles, loses defensive principles and deals with injuries. It becomes a 12-15 win team.

Which is wonderful. Beyond my wildest dreams.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:01 pm

I meant talentwise, they're not 12-70 bad. Obviously performance is what it is, so if they're playing this bad, they're very much a 70-loss team. Losing Andy hurts a lot, too.

But they shouldn't have bottomed out like this. It's not just the wins and losses. It's the not even trying to play defense. It's the whole attitude of the team. To me, it just shows a lack of professionalism. The team has quit and the coach has quit.

I hope it's worth it. I hope this all ends with the Cavs scoring the No. 1 pick and having their choice of Perry Jones, Terence Jones and Jared Sullinger. If there's no payoff next summer, this was all for nothing.
papacass

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:18 pm

swerb wrote:Best two other players (Mo and Jamo) offensively have never played any D, and that lack of D is why the C's made us their bitches in rd 2.

Everyone else should be in the D-League. Boobie could be a 4th guard somewhere, 3rd guard for a shit team. Manny Harris has showed some promise. Hickson makes Dru Gooden look like Socrates.

Agree with Swerb.

Papa, this team is so bad that it would take at least two years of Perry Jones, Terence Jones and Jared Sullinger drafts, PLUS signing a couple/three free-agent studs to get this team in the 45-win category again. The Cavs are in the position of not making ANY personnel mistakes for the next couple of years and ridding the roster of all the flotsam -- and it has to be done with a rookie GM.

Not a good place to be.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:18 pm

swerb wrote:Best two other players (Mo and Jamo) offensively have never played any D, and that lack of D is why the C's made us their bitches in rd 2.

Agree with Swerb.

Papa, this team is so bad that it would take at least two years of Perry Jones, Terence Jones and Jared Sullinger drafts, PLUS signing a couple/three free-agent studs to get this team in the 45-win category again. The Cavs are in the position of not making ANY personnel mistakes for the next couple of years and ridding the roster of all the flotsam -- and it has to be done with a rookie GM.

Not a good place to be.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:21 pm

jerryroche wrote:

Agree with Swerb.

Not a good place to be.

Even longer if you eliminate the 'free agent stud' thing that's just never happening. The Cavs have never signed a free agent, in his prime, stud in the history of the franchise.

Not even when they had TWoA on the roster.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:21 pm

No need to worry, we have a couple of 30th picks up coming between 2013-2017. You guys worry too much.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm

peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:

Yes. Yes they are.

Agree with Pup. They are that bad. That's what happens when a 25 win team stumbles, struggles, loses defensive principles and deals with injuries. It becomes a 12-15 win team.

Which is wonderful. Beyond my wildest dreams.

Potentially the worst front court of all time w/out Andy -- literally -- nicely matched with a back court which when healthy would be comprised of 3rd and 4th guards.

It's such a blessing. This will take a good 2, 3 seasons to fix.

If Scott is a multiplier of this garbage to possibly make it worse (which I personally think is evidence of a little knowledge proving a dangerous thing) , extend his contract until 2014.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:20 pm

jb wrote:Potentially the worst front court of all time w/out Andy -- literally -- nicely matched with a back court which when healthy would be comprised of 3rd and 4th guards.

It's such a blessing. This will take a good 2, 3 seasons to fix.

Forget worst front court of all time - how about worst 8 man rotation of all time? (At least last night)...
Mo, Harris, Eyenga, Jamison, Hickson, Sessions, Samuels, Gee.

Casual NBA fans haven't even heard of half those guys.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if it's worse than the Indians' August lineup of Donald, Asdrubal, Choo, Duncan, LaPorta, Nix, Marte, Crowe, Marson. David Huff on the mound clinches it for the Tribe though.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 pm

jerryroche wrote:

Agree with Swerb.

Not a good place to be.

They're not getting all that, so you have to perform triage.

Ultimately, they need a front end of the roster. This roster is a doughnut right now. A group of complementary pieces built around a central player who is no longer here.

You get a new nucleus of 2-3 players through the draft and/or trades you can start sifting through the remaining pieces to see what you can salvage as complementary parts. Sessions can play, despite his turnover problem. Andy is good as a third big man. Hickson is probably not worth building around. Harris? Eyenga? Could be second-unit guys.

Then, you start hitting on draft picks each year to keep the pipeline full. Which is something the Cavs have not done for 40 years.

That's how this team needs to be rebuilt. The free agency cake is a lie.
papacass

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Worst front court without Andy?

So that makes them what, the third worst with him?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA