Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

2011 Cavaliers Draft Pick Candidates

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

2011 Cavaliers Draft Pick Candidates

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:15 am

It's time to start talking about it. Thanks to their current seven game losing streak, the Cavs sit at 8-26 and have the second worst winning % in the league behind Suckramento.

Looking like the top candiates to be top five picks are ...

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

6'11 Fr SF Perry Jones, Baylor (NBA Comp - Tracy McGrady)
6'9 Fr PF Jared Sullinger, Ohio State (NBA Comp - Al Jefferson)
6'8 Fr SF Terrence Jones, Kentucky (NBA Comp - Lamar Odom)
6'8 Fr SF Harrison Barnes, North Carolina (NBA Comp - Grant Hill)
7'0 Intl PF Donatas Motiejunas, Lithuania (NBA Comp - Andrea Bargnani)
6'3 Fr PG Brandon Knight, Kentucky (NBA Comp - Jason Terry)
6'9 Soph PF Derrick Williams, Arizona (NBA Comp - David West)
6'9 Sr SF Kyle Singler, Duke (NBA Comp - Kiki Vandeweghe)
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 Cavaliers Draft Pick Candidates

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:20 am

Kyrie Irving (unless he's said he's staying?)
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:33 am

StewieG wrote:Kyrie Irving (unless he's said he's staying?)

Out for the year with an injury. Not sure how that affects things. Kid is a playa though.

Also got a chance to see the two Kentucky kids last night. The PG Knight is a helluva player as well. 18 years old, could start in the NBA tonight.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:35 am

I love the fact you went old school with Kiki Vandeweghe as Singler's NBA Comp although Kiki was notorious for his lack of rebounding. That would be a lot of pressure for Sullinger to be the Cavs pick being fairly local and following the other local guy who was picked #1.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:57 am

swerb wrote:

Out for the year with an injury. Not sure how that affects things. Kid is a playa though.

Also got a chance to see the two Kentucky kids last night. The PG Knight is a helluva player as well. 18 years old, could start in the NBA tonight.

Actually, for those of us watching the Cavs this season, a couple reserves for Towson State look like they could start in the NBA tonight.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:39 am

6'9 Sr SF Kyle Singler, Duke (NBA Comp - Keith Van Ferry)

Fixed.

Give me JJ, or give me Djop!
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:13 am

I've been covering this in my Cavs game recaps that are read by about five people, give or take four or five.

Who really thinks the Joneses, Barnes, Sullinger or Knight are going to declare for the '11 draft? If the NBA labor situation looks as ominous in late spring as it does now, those guys can easily return for their sophomore years and try again in '12.

This draft could be utter crap. Singler could be a top five pick. If the Cavs win this draft lottery, they might get a booby prize.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby daddywags » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:51 am

Pappa, I've heard that elsewhere (sorry, didn't read your columns :hide: ) and I don't understand the argument for staying in school. Assuming the worst - a full year lockout - they don't get paid either way so money can't be the reason. Do they think the new CBA will give better terms for rookie deals than the current one? Would their five year rookie deal clocks not run during the lockout even if they aren't being paid? IMO, the number one thing all the kids want is to get beyond that five year rookie deal window as quickly as possible so they can get into the big free agency contracts ASAP. How does a lockout affect that?

Interested in how the argument for waiting works. Feel free to just link me to one of your articles if you've already 'xplained it. ;-) ;) :wink:
daddywags

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:42 pm

daddywags wrote:Pappa, I've heard that elsewhere (sorry, didn't read your columns :hide: ) and I don't understand the argument for staying in school. Assuming the worst - a full year lockout - they don't get paid either way so money can't be the reason. Do they think the new CBA will give better terms for rookie deals than the current one? Would their five year rookie deal clocks not run during the lockout even if they aren't being paid? IMO, the number one thing all the kids want is to get beyond that five year rookie deal window as quickly as possible so they can get into the big free agency contracts ASAP. How does a lockout affect that?

Interested in how the argument for waiting works. Feel free to just link me to one of your articles if you've already 'xplained it. ;-) ;) :wink:

All the financial stuff overshoots one thing, though. They wouldn't be playing basketball if they get drafted and immediately locked out.

If they don't sign a contract, they could go play in Europe for a year. But they can't go back to college and play their sophomore years. They become vagabonds until the NBA starts playing again.

Again, this is all assuming that the labor scuttlebutt around mid-May is that the NBA could potentially lose the whole season. If it looks like there's progress and the labor stoppage could be minimal or avoided altogether, we're back to normal. Right now though, it looks like a labor apocalypse is on the horizon, and if these kids are getting any advice worth having, they're being told to sit tight and be prepared to play their sophomore years.
papacass

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:51 am

With that Kings win last night the Cavs are rock bottom in the NBA by a full game.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:26 pm

NUMBER 1 SEED!

To me Sullinger is too small. I'm looking at Jones closer, but nothing stands out to me thus far. Sure that upcoming moves will also dictate the direction with no clear cut #1.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 pm

As I was checking out Jones, who has several down games, I noticed his 2 guard teammate LaceDarius Dunn. Some monster numbers from the guy... The noticed the OP's link had us taking him in the second round. Looks like a sniper from the outside, who mos def shoots himself out of slumps.

Dunn Game Log
http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=36165

Jones Game Log
http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=51237
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 pm

swerb wrote:

And Terence Jones is a monster but he's so freaking immature in his game. Odom is a good comp though in that kid can bang and also take you behind the arc with a sweet stroke. Just funny watching Calipari go crazy trying to coach him and Knight in a close game though. They are truly young and dumb right now. All talent, no experience.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:06 pm

I'd think Perry Jones has to be the Cavs' guy if they win the lottery and he comes out. He's still pretty skinny, but he's 6'-11" with a pretty good chance of topping out as a 7-footer.

In what footage is available online, it looks like Jones plays inside-out. He has a post game that appears to be advanced for his experience level, with some moves around the hoop, a baby hook and good coordination. But he's also skinny. He's going to have to hit the weight room to have an effective post game in the NBA. But the the technical stuff is there.

He has range on his jumper, but not sure how far out it goes. nbadraft.net says he has range out to the college 3PT line. The furthest I saw him shoot in a highlight video was the FT line.

He's very athletic, jumps high and looks like he could be a fantastic finisher around the hoop if he pans out. nbadraft.net projects him as a SF in the NBA, but with that height and ability to make plays around the rim, I'd much rather seem him as a PF in the NBA, who also happens to be able to step back and shoot with range.

That's just where Jones differs from, say, Sullinger. You can tell based on body type that Sullinger is a low-post player. It remains to be seen whether Jones can develop the upper body strength to be an inside force in the NBA. But, man, with an extra 25 pounds of muscle, Jones could be a beast.
papacass

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Jones seems to be the guy, outside of post injury Irving coming out, he seems to have the most upside. Love Sullinger's game. Guy is a monster on the boards and the post. I just fear that some calling his game Love-like don't realize he is about 3" shorter. In the NBA he is Danny Fortson/Corliss Williamson, IMO.
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Orenthal wrote:Jones seems to be the guy, outside of post injury Irving coming out, he seems to have the most upside. Love Sullinger's game. Guy is a monster on the boards and the post. I just fear that some calling his game Love-like don't realize he is about 3" shorter. In the NBA he is Danny Fortson/Corliss Williamson, IMO.

You have to wonder with Sullinger is he just a beast among boys?

Taking a college post game to the pro level is really tough and if you have that going in you have a chance. However there is a lot of room between say Charles Barkley and Corliss Williamson.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:06 pm

^True, and the downside is getting suckered into a Jones who continues that game log in the pros...
Orenthal

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Sullinger should be better than Fortson or Williamson. With his inside game and willingness to hit the boards, Sullinger should be a legit starter at the next level. But is he going to be a nucleus-type player at 6'-8" with limited athleticism? Maybe he still has some growing to do, but probably not much more than an inch or so.

At 7 feet, he has a shot to become Duncan 2.0. But he's not going to reach 7 feet.

I'll take the tall guy first. You have to be able to get your shot off, and the best way to do that in the post is to go up and over. If you're shorter, you have to get creative about getting your shot. It can be done, but it's harder.
papacass

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:23 pm

I like Jordan Hamilton out of Texas if the big names skip the draft or we do the unthinkable and win some games.

Also, here's a question for you guys: Do you start doing everything you can to stockpile 2012 draft picks? I do. For one, I think it'll end up being a little deeper than this one, and for two, there's a decent chance that at least some of these guys will stay in school, especially if the labor situation is cloudy.

Also, I have no problem taking on bad contracts with 2 or 3 years left on them, especially if they net some picks. Guys like Baron Davis, Andres Nocioni, Hasheem Thabeet, Rashard Lewis, Corey Maggette, maybe even Marvin Williams. Make them give at least one draft pick in return. What I'd do is stockpile as many draft picks as I can over the next 3 years, get as many good young players as I can, and when they've had time to grow and learn, that's when I try to trade for or sign a star to compliment them. Essentially, the OKC plan. The contracts I pick up, I could care less if they ever play for me. My top targets would be Maggette, Lewis, Davis and Nocioni, especially if I can get an unprotected pick or two for them.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:18 am

I don't remember the arguments here but the only thing that gives me pause about Sullinger is thinking of say a Kevin Love.

I certainly didn't think Love's game would translate at all. A seemingly unathletic guy standing out in college destined to fizzle out in the NBA was my general feeling. Thus I worry just a tad that Sullinger might have some god-given baller ability that we cannot account for when discussing athleticism. Now I would agree that Williamson is a scary example, but damn, he just seems so much better at the same age. Corliss was tough in college no doubt. Corliss was an NBA contributor, but not a top draft pick, he was taken 13th and given his length in the NBA, I'd say that worked out well.

The intangible it factor scares me just a little. The again is Kevin Love a #1 pick knowing what we know now? 20-15 guy at this point but man I don't know. I'd take him over Beasley, Westbrook, and Mayo but not sure about Rose just yet. In any case I personally didn't think his game would translate as well as it has.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby papacass » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Sullinger can ball, and if the Cavs pick him at, say, No. 3 overall, I'd be more than willing to give him a chance.

I'd just feel better about his NBA ceiling if he still has another couple of inches to grow. Love is 6'-10". Sullinger might be 6'-9".

No question Sullinger has the girth. He's listed at 280, and it's a chiseled 280. At 6'-11", Sullinger could become Dwight Howard with a post game. At 6'-9", he's going around the likes of Love and Howard with his shots, as opposed to over and through them.

It's the difference between "potientially a nice piece" and "franchise player." The Cavs are in dire need of the latter.
papacass

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA