Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

What can they even do at this point?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

What can they even do at this point?

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Varejao is literally the only guy on this roster I would keep right now. The more I think about it, they really blew their chance over the summer to take a course of action one way or another. Like Swerb said in another post, they had a captive audience of season tickets holders for one more season before taking an absolute bath financially. They should have either went after solid overpaid players who were available on the cheap (Al Jefferson, Iggy, JRich, Turkoglu, etc.) to maintain a winning culture and weather the PR storm or, in the alternative, realizing immediately that they needed to blow it up and started trading players before their values plummeted on a crappy team. Then, they at least could have sold it to the fans by the end of the season that they were building for the future and stockpiling as many young assets as they could. It's the GM's job to assess the talent we had and I can't believe Grant and Gilbert thought this team could be competitive (and that I actually bought into them winning 35-40 and staying in it). Instead, we're left with this rotting corpse of a team that has terrible contracts and no intriguing young guys. Mo and Jamison probably could have fetched a decent return in the summer and are now untradeable while Hickson went from a popular prospect to, well, we know. I'm just at a loss for how this gets fixed in the next five years.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: What can they even do at this point?

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:05 pm

With the exception of Hickson these guys have a body of work. Most teams will look to see how those players will fit into their scheme and culture. Also the NBA is almost as much about $$$ and contract length then talent. I don't think their value has lessend due to the current season.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Welcome to July 10th 2010 fellas. After The Decision and The Letter this was always where we were headed.

The time for face saving has passed. It is time for selling off parts for whatever assets you can acquire. Don't sell to sell, sell to accrue. But not a single player on this roster is untouchable. That is the one benefit of having gone through the first 30 painful games.

You don't have to be afraid of making a huge mistake getting rid of anybody. You know what you have and what they could ultimately be.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby papacass » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:51 pm

peeker643 wrote:You don't have to be afraid of making a huge mistake getting rid of anybody. You know what you have and what they could ultimately be.

Except Andy. Get expirings for Twan and Mo, I really don't care. You probably want that cap flexibility more than anything as you head into lockout Armageddon next summer.

But Andy is a big man under 30, with late-round playoff experience, and has been a double-double machine of late. Not cheapies, either. Like 18 points and 15 boards, with 7 on the offensive glass. And he's signed long-term to a fairly reasonable contract, meaning the team that receives him can use him as a building block for the coming years.

Andy has value. Chris Grant has to get something worthwhile for him, beyond cap space.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:00 pm

papacass wrote:
peeker643 wrote:You don't have to be afraid of making a huge mistake getting rid of anybody. You know what you have and what they could ultimately be.

Except Andy. Get expirings for Twan and Mo, I really don't care. You probably want that cap flexibility more than anything as you head into lockout Armageddon next summer.

But Andy is a big man under 30, with late-round playoff experience, and has been a double-double machine of late. Not cheapies, either. Like 18 points and 15 boards, with 7 on the offensive glass. And he's signed long-term to a fairly reasonable contract, meaning the team that receives him can use him as a building block for the coming years.

Andy has value. Chris Grant has to get something worthwhile for him, beyond cap space.

Maximize on all of them. And yeah, I agree Andy is a guy there will be a ton of interest in. I'm speaking more to the fact that regardless of who you deal you know what they are: great complimentary piece like Andy or Drew Gooden-lite like Hickson. You know what Boobie's upside and downside are, you know what you get with Mo and Tawn. You're not going to sit back 5 years and from now and want to slit your wrist over what any of them have become.

But yes, Grant's tenure and life expectancy might be defined for how much he can squeeze out of teams for these guys.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA