Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

stop shooting the damn three!!

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

stop shooting the damn three!!

Unread postby furls » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:37 pm

anyone else see that the Cavs are 11-1 now in games where they attempt less than 15 threes? I understand that if they are down big they would attempt more threes (and lose more of those games) and I also understand that they are going to see better interior D against good teams (hence shooting more threes and losing more of those games), but seeing that column made me think about it and do some rudimentary research. Here are the facts:

The Cavs are 24th in the NBA in 3pt %. The Cavs are 5th in the league in attempts! Doesn't take a genius to see a problem. Also, at times the Cavs seem to get undisciplined, run down the court and pop a quick 3 with 15 seconds remaining and a look at the basket that is less than ideal. Am I just crazy or do you guys notice this happening from time to time also?

Also, Marshall was pretty damn effective last night and surprise, he was doing it driving on the baseline. i would LOVE to see more of that kind of thing. Living and dying by the 3 point arc works OK for the Buckeyes, but hell they have 2 players shooting ~50% from 3 and the team average is ~42.1%. FYI, the Cavs 3pt % is 33.7%.

Regards,
Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:51 pm

anyone else see that the Cavs are 11-1 now in games where they attempt less than 15 threes?

I was horrified when I heard that stat on the telecast last night.
The Cavs are 24th in the NBA in 3pt %. The Cavs are 5th in the league in attempts! Doesn't take a genius to see a problem. Also, at times the Cavs seem to get undisciplined, run down the court and pop a quick 3 with 15 seconds remaining and a look at the basket that is less than ideal. Am I just crazy or do you guys notice this happening from time to time also?

No, I notice it as well.

However, the reason the Cavs are 24th in 3 pt % falls right on Donyell and Damon.

Together, the two have attempted 549 threes this year, over 10 a game between the two. And both are shooting WELL below their 3 pt %'s of the last couple years.

It's not like these guys aren't open either. Playing with guys like Bron and Z on the offensive end yields plenty of open looks, as many as they'd see anywhere else in the league.

Donyell is making jusrt 31.4% of his 3's this year. Made 41.6% last year, and 40.3% the year before.

Damon Jones is hitting on just 36.3% of his 3's. He made 43.2% of them last year.

Those are SIGNIFICANT differences. And it's interesting to think where this team may be right now if these guys were making even 39-40% of their tries.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:57 pm

so at what point do you accept the fact that you are ICE COLD and that maybe you should adapt your game some until you heat up again? I mean we are only at game 52 now.

Donyell seems to be able to drive pretty well, maybe he should focus on that vice popping the triples. Funny you mentioned those two swerb, those were EXACTLY the two I was thinking of. I think the three is a fairly significant part of LBJ's game, but it isnt so much that he needs to make them. He needs to show the opposing team that he will take them (and make them) to pull the defense out on him at the arc.

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:01 pm

Donyell and Damon, this has just gotten outta hand with these two.

Combined 1-11 from three tonight, several of the misses not even close.

Jones is now under 35%. Marshall is now under 31%. And missing badly. His confidence is shot, his shot just off the money.

Figures. I've watched this guy knock down 40% of his three pointers year after year after year after year, killing the Cavs many times in the process. He appeared to be a perfect fit here as a spot up guy that would thrive off the Bron and Z doubles, and offer a reasonable alternative/option to Gooden ... who the Cavs also knew was in the last year of his deal.

And the guy's completely forgotten how to play all of the sudden. Only in Cleveland.

And Damon Jones is just completely and utterly worthless. He adds nothing of value to this team, and is owed 15 mill over the next three years.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA