Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavaliers v Wizards: What do you expect?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavaliers v Wizards: What do you expect?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:33 pm

We all know the number 2 seed is the path of least resistance to the NBA finals but we still have to play the games and win the games, need to win 11 of them to be exact (to get our shot at the crown).

We got the Wizards a team that when fully loaded is one nobody wants to face in a 7 game series but that is not the case as of right now. Arenas is out, that is HUGE but so is Butler and that makes this series almost all but over IMO.

But what do you expect from the Cavaliers in this series and what will "satisfy" you?

First and foremost forget about a sweep, remember this is the Cavaliers. Their mood swings are about as stable as a woman's.

I expect them to win in 5, that will only satisfy me if in fact they do so in such a manner in which most games are decided early in the 4th quarter.

I expect to see a blowout but only one (by us of course), I also expect to see a game in which we allow the Wiz to "hang" around too much.

I would be completely satisfied if they were to take care of business at home and get er done in 5 while LBJ gets some minutes to rest while getting guys like Sasha, Z and Larry heavily in the mix to give them loads of confidence for the next rd.

This team needs to look good exiting this series none of that phew, well at least we're on to the next rd crap.

Thanks consig I brain farted.
Last edited by FUDU on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:11 pm

FYI, all NBA series are 7-gamers now....and have been that way for a few years.

We should win this series quite easily. If by chance we don't, Mike Brown should be fired on the spot. Cavs win the series in 5 games, as I give the Wiz one win at home before the Cavs come home up 3-1 for Game 5 and put them away.

The Nets/Raptors in the second round will make for a much tougher task, and more of a nailbiter series....although I expect to win that series. Absolutely no excuse to not make the EC Finals. None.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:51 pm

Cavs should win in 5 or less. I don't want to put the expectation of a sweep up there because even the worst teams in the NBA can often take one game. The Fratello-led Cavs usually couldn't and the Wizards without Butler and Arenas are worse than many of those teams because their defense isn't up to snuff.

I'd say that the Detroit and Cleveland series both are the closest things to a sure bet in the NBA playoffs to start. I don't think the Magic are a pushover, but I don't think the Magic have the horses.

I don't think the Lakers can win in the West, but every other team has a shot. Golden State was undefeated against Dallas during the regular season and blew them out twice. That first rounder could be very interesting.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:07 am

I fully expect the Cavs to win in 5 games. I'll be shocked if they sweep, if only because I've become accustomed to them blowing games against clearly inferior opponents, and I'll be shocked if the Cavs don't take it in any more than five, because the Wizards are just that bad. They don't have anyone other than Antonio Daniels who's worth a damn running the offense, and while their frontline is just as deep as ours, their backcourt is absolutely devastated from the Butler and Arenas injuries. They don't have the guns to keep up with us. Let's just say this: Any one of our PG's would be starting for that team in the playoffs, with Daniels sliding over to the 2. Yeah, it's that bad in Washington. Should be an easy win.

As for the rest of the first round matchups:

Detroit over Orlando in 5 - It's not that Orlando's bad...they've got plenty of talent. But they aren't deep enough or experienced enough to compete with the Pistons. Orlando will steal one after huge games from Howard and Hill, but no more than that.

Chicago over Miami in 7 - I think this has a chance to be a classic series. But with Wallace guarding Shaq, and Wade's bum shoulder (just how healthy could it be?), Chicago eeks this one out. The Heat I think are too old to keep up with Chicago.

Toronto over New Jersey in 6 - This is a very difficult series to figure. Carter could go off and average 30 8 and 5 and it wouldn't surprise me. Kidd is still very good. Jefferson is solid. But they just don't have enough inside to contend with Bosh. I think he destroys the Nets frontline in this series, and is the deciding factor.

Dallas over Golden State in 6 - Golden State might be able to steal game one, and could probably get one at home against Dallas. But the Mavs are just too talented for the upstart Warriors to handle, even if Don Nelson does have a unique knowledge of many of the Mavs' players.

San Antonio over Denver in 6 - Melo and AI will be enough to get 2 wins, but I don't think Denver has enough chemistry to take the series; Not against a team like the Sprus, who've been together for the better part of the last 4 or 5 years.

Utah over Houston in 7 - This is another series that is really difficult to figure out, and could go either way. Each team has huge advantages over the other team's primary weaknesses (Yao inside, McGrady against whichever SG Utah trots out there for Houston, Williams running the point, Okur's outside shot, and Loozer's rebounding for the Jazz). In the end, I decided to take the team with the better PG, because I don't think Yao over Okur is enough of an advantage inside for the Rockets.

Phoenix over LA Lakers in 5 - It's Kobe vs. the Suns. While I don't think Phoenix has any prayer of stopping Kobe (he may average 45 points for the series if he's on), LA just has no chance at competing with Phoenix's depth or inside game. Kobe's enough to steal one game, but without major contributions from his teammates, which he's not likely to get, Phoenix should have an easy go of it.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:28 pm

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced Eddie Jordan is going to go Fratello-ball on us and slow the pace to a crawl. If it's a fast-paced series, Washington can't beat us. It just won't happen. The ONLY chance they have is to really slow down the pace, limit the number of posessions, and try to frusterate us into turnovers.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:55 am

StewieG wrote:Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced Eddie Jordan is going to go Fratello-ball on us and slow the pace to a crawl. If it's a fast-paced series, Washington can't beat us. It just won't happen. The ONLY chance they have is to really slow down the pace, limit the number of posessions, and try to frusterate us into turnovers.

I agree, though Washington will run into problems trying it because of their depth. They have none on the perimeter at all, so any foul trouble will force a change in strategy.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:02 am

I am very interested to see what the Wizards do today. Do they go the Fratello route and try to frustrate the Cavaliers by milking the shot clock and slowing the game down to a crawl? I think this is their only chance to be competitive in this series. If they are able to stop the Cavs from running and getting easy buckets in transition and force them into jump shots, and be efficient on offense.....who knows.

Cavs in five though. I just don't see Washington being able to keep up.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA