Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Tremendous Writing, Tremendous Column

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Tremendous Writing, Tremendous Column

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Scott Raab writes for Esquire and was on Dan LeBetard podcast from last Thursday's show. LeBetard, a tremendous writer himself, calls Raab an outstanding writer.

Check this article out. So great hearing him say what most of us feel. And LeBetard and Stugots couldn't find fault when Raab admitted being a hater and whore.

BTW- Thanks to Lead Pipe for the LeBetard recommendation. Might be the very best radio out there aside from Stern. Highly, HIGHLY recommended to download and listen.

http://deadspin.com/5669864/how-i-celeb ... on-twitter

My position regarding LeBron James and hatred could not be more simple or clear: I hate LeBron James. I could waste time parsing that hatred—I do not wish to see harm of any sort befall his loved ones, for example, but I would be happy if he blew out both knees and an elbow before ever taking the court again in an NBA game. It's just better to admit the truth plain: I am a hater.

I'm old enough to understand that my hatred of LeBron says more about me than him. After all, what sort of sad sack hates someone who is more or less—I hung around the Cavaliers a lot last season, working on a book, but had only a few brief exchanges with King James—a stranger? (Were we speaking of a figure like Hitler or Stalin, the case for stranger-hate is easy to make, but Bron is closer to the Pope or Glenn Beck, a polarizing creature of great fame and considerable influence, but no mass murderer.) What sort of person hates at all?

First of all, a hater is angry, hurt, and helpless to do anything about his anger, hurt and helplessness. But hurt and helplessness are not produced by hatred; they come from what often, as in this case, precedes hate: love.

I loved LeBron James. As a native Clevelander whose relationship to the Cavaliers, Indians, and Browns may be defined kindly as passionate—and maybe more accurately as sick—I loved having the best player in the league on my side, and I loved the redemption narrative he embodied and embraced: Local boy redeems long-suffering tribe. I thought we all were headed for the Promised Land, led by LeBron—our Moses, the soi disant Chosen One.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tremendous Writing, Tremendous Column

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:25 pm

ahhhh a Stern fan. Now I have everything figured out. :nanner:

Good article btw, have to check the LeBetard guy out. Love Raab already seeing as I am a total homer and Cavalier fanboy right now.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:58 pm

LeBetard is outstanding when he's on PTI, but I don't think I can get his show on anything but Sirius.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:LeBetard is outstanding when he's on PTI, but I don't think I can get his show on anything but Sirius.

You have an ipod or mp3?

iTunes or http://www.790theticket.com/podcasts.aspx

Great show gentlemen. Stugotz would own Cleveland airwaves and he's the sidekick.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:LeBetard is outstanding when he's on PTI, but I don't think I can get his show on anything but Sirius.

You can dowload it as a podcast thru I-Tunes, (or go to 790theticket.com) which incidentally is a GREAT way to listen because it just goes bumper to bumper-no commercials.

Rizzo, Triv, Brinda, Roda - one thing in common (besides they all blow) they don't put any effort into their shows. Roll in and spew what's on their mind. LeBatard takes pride in his writing, and pride in that show. He WANTS to do good radio. And you can tell the difference.

Also, big hitting guests, Mort and Timmy K are weekly regulars, and they have a ton of pull with big names-and they get them in a timely fashion if something comes up.

As just a radio program it's excellent, and considering the garbage sports radio around here, it's going to sound like word from the heavens.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA