Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

While We're Nuking it Again- Mingo?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

While We're Nuking it Again- Mingo?

Postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:03 pm

If you could get the Saints #1 pick (27th) for Mingo would you take it today?

How big an overdraft was he last year or do you fall on the side that says it's too early to yet say what he's all about?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: While We're Nuking it Again- Mingo?

Postby pup » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:22 pm

I don't move him. Might have been an overdraft, but he was a need and this defense should suit him. You don't need the $, so unless Farmer was 100% against him as a pick last year I cannot see taking a low 1st for him 12 months later.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:32 pm

pup wrote:I don't move him. Might have been an overdraft, but he was a need and this defense should suit him. You don't need the $, so unless Farmer was 100% against him as a pick last year I cannot see taking a low 1st for him 12 months later.

Agree ya don't need the money. Just thinking how guys get lost in regime changes and the TRich trade last year showing how true that can be. Not sure what Pettine's defense will mean to Mingo or Krueger (or anyone really) so if new regime wasn't sold on him I could see him going to place like NO where they're looking for OLB to rush and he was popular at LSU. I thought Mingo was fine last year early on and then was meh after week 6. I'd take the 28th for him solely because he's thin and less than physically stout and because I don't think he's "special". And in this draft I could argue that what the Browns could get between 25-30 this season might be equivalent to what early part of RD 1 talent was last season.

Fine with keeping him. Just don't think he's ever special regardless of defense he's in. But you need competent too.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:54 pm

peeker643 wrote:Agree ya don't need the money. Just thinking how guys get lost in regime changes and the TRich trade last year showing how true that can be....

Out of all the "Regime changes" the Browns have been through in the last decade plus, this one will be the most painless. Farmer was picked by, and worked for the previous regime, while I hope to god he is smarter then his old bosses , I have to imagine they where on similar wave lengths. As for Coach Pet, everything I have read says he runs a D very close to what Horton ran i.e. multiple fronts/attacking 3-4base. Mingo was drafted specifically for that style, I see no reason why they would get rid of him, unless there are legit health issues (which there very well might be , that bruised lung thing was so rare, that it might be the pre-cursor for a more serious issue)
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Have you heard rumors? Or is this strictly a theoretical exercise?

I wouldn't jump off the 480 bridge if they traded him, but I'd rather keep him around for a while longer. Didn't Pettine ask him to bulk up 20 lb? I thought I heard that somewhere.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Postby Erie Warrior » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Fine with keeping him. Just don't think he's ever special regardless of defense he's in. But you need competent too.

Trade him for a 2nd round pick. Wholly unimpressed with him. Can't take a guy at #6 who can't crack the starting lineup.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Postby leadpipe » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:14 am

Don't claim to know how it will turn out for Mingo, but I will say this - last year is kinda what you'd expect from that kind of player. A guy that you'd need to fill out a bit, clearly wearing down as the season went on and showing signs of making PLAYS. And clearly this defense has been lacking in impact plays since their return.

Now, you'd like a little more play to play production to be sure, but what I'm sayin' is, last year hasn't scared me totally off, cause it's similiar to what I expected from the guy. I wouldn't ship him for 27 at this point, not only for the above, but also for the fact I think there's a better CHANCE for impact pressure from Mingo, than there would be with ANYBODY these days at 27. Kinda like QB's - if you look like you can get to the man, you ain't lasting anymore.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Postby peeker643 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:38 am

motherscratcher wrote:Have you heard rumors? Or is this strictly a theoretical exercise?

I wouldn't jump off the 480 bridge if they traded him, but I'd rather keep him around for a while longer. Didn't Pettine ask him to bulk up 20 lb? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Completely theoretical.

Guy is here now, I dig it. And I think he made fewer plays and had less impact in second half of season because teams figured out he's fast as shit and there's nothing else other than that.

That's fine for a situational pass rusher. But weight ain't the sole issue when you're as thin and narrow as that guy is. He has no move other than "fast" and he's not all that fluid an athlete. He ain't covering anyone. He's a rush LB with one move.

I'd take a late 1st rounder pick for the guy and grab what I could. Keep in mind I'd have preferred Dion Jordan last year. And we see how well that's working out for the 2nd most dysfunctional team in football.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Postby Hikohadon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Guy is crazy athletic and it'll be interesting to see how he does in Pett's D with a few extra lbs on him. I would err on the side of potential and hold onto him for at least one more year.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL