Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Now thats the way to come out of the half ...

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Now thats the way to come out of the half ...

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:13 pm

What a third quarter.

36 points ... blows this must win against a Nets team that always gives us fits WIDE open.

LeBron 31 so far, just having his way, appears to be in playoff mode. Z continues to play well. Can he be trending the opposite way from last years playoffs?

Shock the world tomorrow night Bobcats ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 pm

Very encouraging. This team has had plenty of problems coming out of the half this year. Fantastic to see them opening it up and putting it away. Maybe they are taking these last few games seriously.

I'm planning on watching the Chicago/Charlotte game. It's in Chicago so it'll be tough. I think we have a better chance with them on the road versus the Wiz and the Nets, though none of the last three teams they play look threatening. The Bobcats have beaten us twice. They can step up. Stranger things have happened.

It's certainly coming down to an exciting final week.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:48 am

keeping Jefferson to 5 points was key

he usually torches us never missing a shot
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:47 am

That what they should do to the Nets, I did however like how LBJ was posting up.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:53 am

Dozen wrote:That what they should do to the Nets, I did however like how LBJ was posting up.

So did Windhorst, on his blog today ...

http://blogs.ohio.com/cavaliers_blog/

Some video breakdown will be required to confirm this, but I think LeBron James scored three baskets out of deep post plays in the Cavs' win over the Nets tonight. That isn't many in the grand scheme, but it made such a major difference in the Cavs' offense in the second half. Not only did it make James unstoppable for a period there, it opened up the rest of the scheme.

It doesn't have to work 10 times a night, three times is enough. The ability to go to that play, especially in the middle of the lane -- which I honestly have not seen run so effectively since the preseason -- gives the Cavs another option and the opposition another worry. As a I mentioned in the linked story, just having James post on the block and not 20 feet from the basket creates problems for the defense. It totally messed up the Nets, who had been doing a great job of defending the lane in the first half and all the Cavs did in the third quarter was attack the rim for and-one plays. Plus, of course, LeBron is unstoppable around the rim. Give him post position too and it's game over.

Who knows if this strategy will last or even continue to work (once bitten, twice shy after I praised the new offensive system in October), but willingness to go to these plays could totally change how the Cavs operate in halfcourt sets in the postseason. Or not, we'll see.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:23 pm

Good analysis by Windhorst.

Many have said it throughout is career, but James doesn't play in the post too much. He has relied too much on long jumpers and not enough on plays in the paint. He creates so many mismatches inside with his size, speed, and athleticism. Not sure if it's Brown's offense or LeBron's hesitance, but this team is much better when James is a more consistent threat in the post.

Anybody else get the feeling sometimes that he's trying to be Kobe Bryant?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA