Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

NBA competitiveness

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

NBA competitiveness

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:48 am

Am I the only person that is concerned about the overall competitiveness in the NBA? It is pretty obvious that you generally don't get most teams A game on any given night, but what about all the hugging in the league and the complete lack of any real rivalries.

That Woj article on LeDecision really made me think about all the on court hugging and buddy-buddyness of the stars. Can you imagine MJ, Magic and Bird all sitting down during the off season and making joint business ventures and plotting join each others teams? In those years it seemed more likely that the Lakers, Bulls, Pissedons and Celts would have been meeting with their own players trying to hash out a plan to destroy their nemesis teams.

It just doesn't feel like you are ever getting what you really want, the players to give a crap about winning as much as the fans do. Thank god for the NCAA tournament where the players WANT IT.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: NBA competitiveness

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:57 am

furls wrote:Am I the only person that is concerned about the overall competitiveness in the NBA? It is pretty obvious that you generally don't get most teams A game on any given night, but what about all the hugging in the league and the complete lack of any real rivalries.

That Woj article on LeDecision really made me think about all the on court hugging and buddy-buddyness of the stars. Can you imagine MJ, Magic and Bird all sitting down during the off season and making joint business ventures and plotting join each others teams? In those years it seemed more likely that the Lakers, Bulls, Pissedons and Celts would have been meeting with their own players trying to hash out a plan to destroy their nemesis teams.

It just doesn't feel like you are ever getting what you really want, the players to give a crap about winning as much as the fans do. Thank god for the NCAA tournament where the players WANT IT.

SD:

Geeting as bad as Pro Wrestling , good guys and bad guys all get payed and only the fans lose.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:58 am

furls wrote:Am I the only person that is concerned about the overall competitiveness in the NBA? It is pretty obvious that you generally don't get most teams A game on any given night, but what about all the hugging in the league and the complete lack of any real rivalries.

SD:

Geeting as bad as Pro Wrestling , good guys and bad guys all get payed and only the fans lose.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby CP » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:11 am

Long-term, I think Stern is concerned about it. This year, not so much. The James/Bosh/Wade move generated a ton of discussion about the league and it gave the owners another angle to discuss at the CBA negotiations. The soft cap in the NBA was always a target for this go-round in the CBA, but it's likely to get a lot harder due to recent events.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby fundamentals » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:36 pm

Furls, I see what you are saying, but ain't nobody in the commish's office worried about what went down. Fact is though, the league isn't any less competitive now than it was before the Diva made his choice to bolt out of here to go play in the sand.

IF the Cavaliers still had MeBron, nobody would be saying a thing about the seemingly select few that can win an NBA title. Miami has simply just replaced Cleveland as a team that stands a chance to win it all.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:39 am

Nah, I think you misunderstood me. I am not talking about league parity, I am talking about the general desire and effort of the players to go out and win EVERY night. I just don't really see it, MeBron (love that BTW) changing teams has nothing to do with it. Actually it does, the fact that the league stood by and watched several teams throw multiple seasons (Knicks) in an effort to save $$ to buy FA's assails at the league's credibility and competitiveness and further underscores my point.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mitch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:56 am

It was interesting seeing that Michael Jordan interview yesterday where he stated flat out that he would have NEVER considered getting together with Bird and/or Magic to play on the same team.

MJ knows that Queen James will never truly be considered in the same breath as him.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby CharacterIV » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:29 am

mitch wrote:It was interesting seeing that Michael Jordan interview yesterday where he stated flat out that he would have NEVER considered getting together with Bird and/or Magic to play on the same team.

MJ knows that Queen James will never truly be considered in the same breath as him.

I did find it interesting that MJ went on to say something to the effect of "I can't say it's a bad thing, it's just how times have changed. It's an opportunity for these kids."

Still, I am inclined to think, given my knowledge of MJ's personality, the only thought going through his head while speaking those remarks was: "Pussy."

With possibly just a little: "Y'know, maybe I SHOULD call up Magic and Larry. I bet with a couple of weeks in the gym we could get back into shape and whip these three pussies."

'Cause that's how alpha dogs think. Only guy in Miami with the slightest bit of alpha in him is D-Wade.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby MartyM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:45 pm

[quote="CharacterIV"][quote="mitch"]

Still, I am inclined to think, given my knowledge of MJ's personality, the only thought going through his head while speaking those remarks was: "Pussy."

With possibly just a little: "Y'know, maybe I SHOULD call up Magic and Larry. I bet with a couple of weeks in the gym we could get back into shape and whip these three pussies."
/quote]

That would definitely fill some seats at any venue.
Official TCF Photographer
http://www.photosbymartyllc.com
http://www.photos_by_marty.fototime.com

Ask me about custom Fatheads

“The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” - V. Lombardi
MartyM

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: PittsPuke

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:52 pm

i know exactly what you mean but the 82-game schedule just lends itself to teams simply just taking certain games off such as the 2nd night of a back-to-back on the road, 4th games in 5 days and the last game of a lengthy multi-game opposite coast road trip. ain't no 5-hour energy drinks, ginseng extract or bee pollen gonna take away the urge to just drag ass on those nights. of course if you were to make their paychecks predicated on them actually winning the game, that might be an idea to light a fire under their butts, but it would never happen. the players association would never go for it.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Those are definitely some of the circumstances I am talking about, and I understand that there will be some "drag ass" days, but the fact that it is OK, ain't right to the fan that just paid a couple of hundie for a pair of seats. IT just feels like in general there is very little competitive fire in the league.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:51 pm

furls wrote:Those are definitely some of the circumstances I am talking about, and I understand that there will be some "drag ass" days, but the fact that it is OK, ain't right to the fan that just paid a couple of hundie for a pair of seats. IT just feels like in general there is very little competitive fire in the league.

The fans are pawns. Think about a Cavaliers' game, most people wearing "Witness" t- shirts and wearing Varejao wigs, couldn't tell you the starting lineup of the team. Most people cannot even afford to go to a game, unless it's by him/her self or if you are sitting in the Uecker seats.

I know a guy who at the end of the year was all giddy as he won a raffle at his work for Cavaliers' tickets, was pumped up about seeing MeBron. Only problem was that LBJ was sitting that game. :pb:

What is most of all now ironic is that MeBron goes from most loved, arguably, to most hated, arguably, and I think the "competitiveness" you mentioned (and I know I understand, sorry for messing that up in previous post) might be back given the Three Stooges in South Beach.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA