Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs fined 100k, Stern denies tampering, criticizes Gilbert

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs fined 100k, Stern denies tampering, criticizes Gilbert

Unread postby Watt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:42 pm

David Stern said in Monday's press conference that Dan Gilbert's post-LeBron James tirade "ill advised" and "imprudent" and that he has fined the Cavaliers $100,000.
Stern also said that NBA players and free agents are allowed to talk to each other as free agents and that LeBron and company are not guilty of tampering or collusion.

via rotoworld
Watt
Talent On Loan From God

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Luis Valbuena

Re: Cavs fined 100k, Stern denies tampering, criticizes Gilbert

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:09 pm

I guess he had to do and say something and I wouldn't have expected anything different.

However, this whole debacle happened on Stern's watch so it's partly on his head as well.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Yeah, it's one of those things I guess. I don't disagree with it, but I also don't have to like it. Wasn't expecting any different outcome.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby tired » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:51 pm

It's all about the players. Fuck the fans Fuck the owners. Lock it like hockey did. It made the world of difference with that league.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:13 pm

100K to a billionaire. Yawn. If they existed he would wipe his ass with 100K bills.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby CP » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 pm

The 100K shows you how much the NBA cares about it. Sheed gets bigger fines in his sleep for abusing officials.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 pm

Dan Gilbert (strapped to gurney): "Stern, my wallet's in my right front pocket. Oh, and I'll take that statue of justice too."

David Stern: "Sold!"
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Wow, I didn't expect for Stern to rule that there was colusion since it would just be too huge of a problem and since he probably likes what Miami did and thinks it is good for ratings. But it really seems bad to me that he dismissed the collusion charges out of hand with so much clear public evidence that it did exist to some extent. I would have expected at least some window-dressing in the form of a league investigation followed by a later public statement about being insufficient evidence but some private, closed door hand slapping. Doesn't seem like there will be any of that. Makes Stern look even more crooked or ignorant and I don't know which is worse.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Wow, I didn't expect for Stern to rule that there was colusion since it would just be too huge of a problem and since he probably likes what Miami did and thinks it is good for ratings. But it really seems bad to me that he dismissed the collusion charges out of hand with so much clear public evidence that it did exist to some extent. I would have expected at least some window-dressing in the form of a league investigation followed by a later public statement about being insufficient evidence but some private, closed door hand slapping. Doesn't seem like there will be any of that. Makes Stern look even more crooked or ignorant and I don't know which is worse.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby CP » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Interesting take by Ken Berger of CBS:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1363 ... dlines;nba

Don't send a nasty letter, Dan. Sue the bastards!

As a lawyer, I approve of this message. That said, no one can tell me it would have done less damage to Cavs ability to sign FAs in the future than the Comic Sans from Hell.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby waborat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:36 am

Only in professional sports can an employer be fined by his employeeImage
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:12 am

waborat wrote:Only in professional sports can an employer be fined by his employeeImage

I have a good friend who works for the railroad.

He once lost a grievance with the company thru his union.

So...he sued his union... and won
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:43 am

Stern also said that NBA players and free agents are allowed to talk to each other as free agents and that LeBron and company are not guilty of tampering or collusion.

But if they met the last weekend in June, technicaly all three were still under contract with their respective teams, thus not being free agents. Is that still legal in Stern's eye? I know that they can't prove they were discussing their FA plan but still.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby rbm0183 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:02 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:

But if they met the last weekend in June, technicaly all three were still under contract with their respective teams, thus not being free agents. Is that still legal in Stern's eye? I know that they can't prove they were discussing their FA plan but still.

From everything that has come out it seems abundantly obvious that there was collusion, but why would anyone think David Stern would drag this thing out? He wants this to go away and for people just to get excited about this power shift in the NBA. So he makes one statement to tie everything up and put a bow on it, leaving this mess behind. In the long run, this thing Riley's building in Miami is probably good for the league, so Stern is going to spin it as positively as possible as soon as possible, and why should he really care about how it all went down? Heck, he probably helped those 3 set up their free agency charades and get their stories straight.
---"It was great training being there. They do it with character and intelligence. They run that organization the right way. They build through the draft. They're patient. It's just the right way to do it. It was a tremendous opportunity to be with them." Jimmy Haslam on why he'd model the Browns after the Steelers, 10/16/12
:loadof:
rbm0183

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:45 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:

"I saw nothink! I know nothink!" -- NBA Commissioner Sgt. Schultz

Stern and his cocktail weeners are going to run laughing all the way to the bank and their labor negotiators.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA