Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

how the hell does race play into this???

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

how the hell does race play into this???

Unread postby jonne99 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:13 am

This might be in another topic...if so, forgive b/c there is SO much to read.
******i may be way off base to bring this up as a topic, but it struck me as circumlocution/circumvention******
I don't feel like typing all of the direct quotes, so if you didn't listen, please don't react or respond.

After listening to the various african american hosts/guests on 850knr on friday, a common theme developed from them. Screamin a smith came on around 3-4 and said (besides the fact that he all "told us about this 2 years ago x 5") he didn't agree with how gilbert reacted. He then used gilbert's letter as a springboard to basically say that gilbert was swiping at lebron's mom, along with insinuating the letter having racist overtones.
Then, later that day on the evening show (sounded like lecharles and some other african american dude) they also disagreed with what gilbert said, shading (totally no pun intended) his words to make it a racist attack.
I think that its really sad to attempt to eviscerate gilbert's letter on the basis of racism, as it is not evident in any part of the letter. It seems like a futile attempt on the aforementioned guest/host to defend lebron's decision (which also was not based on race)
I see none of that in gilbert's letter, and i really don't see how that perspective would be obtained objectively by reading the said letter.
anyone want to help me out....
For those of you that listened to it, why would this even be brought up?
but in no place is the pain like Cleveland's: all-encompassing, multi-generational, redundant and unique at once.
---Scott Raab of Deadspin
jonne99

Favorite Player: jamie
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Re: how the hell does race play into this???

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:18 am

It has nothing to do with race, however there are those out there that can't seem to keep race out of these situations. The fact Steven A. Smith falls into this group apparently really doesn't surprise me, at least it let's us know what the "A" stands for. I don't hear Reggie Miller or Kevin Durant making this about race, and I know they feel Gilbert was over the top in his choice of words.

Now if Gloria is pregnant, then yes the question of race will come into play in about 8 months.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:16 pm

jonne99 wrote:This might be in another topic...if so, forgive b/c there is SO much to read.
******i may be way off base to bring this up as a topic, but it struck me as circumlocution/circumvention******
I don't feel like typing all of the direct quotes, so if you didn't listen, please don't react or respond.

After listening to the various african american hosts/guests on 850knr on friday, a common theme developed from them. Screamin a smith came on around 3-4 and said (besides the fact that he all "told us about this 2 years ago x 5") he didn't agree with how gilbert reacted. He then used gilbert's letter as a springboard to basically say that gilbert was swiping at lebron's mom, along with insinuating the letter having racist overtones.
Then, later that day on the evening show (sounded like lecharles and some other african american dude) they also disagreed with what gilbert said, shading (totally no pun intended) his words to make it a racist attack.
I think that its really sad to attempt to eviscerate gilbert's letter on the basis of racism, as it is not evident in any part of the letter. It seems like a futile attempt on the aforementioned guest/host to defend lebron's decision (which also was not based on race)
I see none of that in gilbert's letter, and i really don't see how that perspective would be obtained objectively by reading the said letter.
anyone want to help me out....
For those of you that listened to it, why would this even be brought up?

SD:

Reactionary Jackasses like Stephen A thrive on burning down buildings with butt a single coal.

He missed this issue with both hands.

This is not Curt Floyd where Baseball had the plantation rights to a man until death, and Lebitch
blazed some new trail.

It was the first player with the power to abuse like so many owners have done in the past , and just like them he fucked up his chance to be right and ground his heels.

Nobody begrudged this bitch moving , butt anybody with a brain including other teams fans and GM's
could see the classless fuck U message and deliberate attempt to humiliate TMLP the Fans and even his teamates on a psychotic whim .

Those who don't understand the paramaters incorrectly dog Gilbert as a White man spurned who can't take
it when a Black man says no to his money , those who understand how things are supposed to be done
the ticklish etiquette of class understand Gilberts righteous indignation as just that, and how anybody would react if fucked over the same way.

His response wasn't politically correct butt it was damn sure justified.

I'm down 110% with the Jihad .

Color and Bidness ain't got nothing to do with this ,Lebitch made it personal.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:19 pm

FUDU wrote:It has nothing to do with race, however there are those out there that can't seem to keep race out of these situations. The fact Steven A. Smith falls into this group apparently really doesn't surprise me, at least it let's us know what the "A" stands for. I don't hear Reggie Miller or Kevin Durant making this about race, and I know they feel Gilbert was over the top in his choice of words.

Now if Gloria is pregnant, then yes the question of race will come into play in about 8 months.

SD:

Hows that ,

Gilbert ain't the Daddy :)
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:20 pm

FUDU wrote:It has nothing to do with race, however there are those out there that can't seem to keep race out of these situations. The fact Steven A. Smith falls into this group apparently really doesn't surprise me, at least it let's us know what the "A" stands for. I don't hear Reggie Miller or Kevin Durant making this about race, and I know they feel Gilbert was over the top in his choice of words.

SD:

Hows that ,

Gilbert ain't the Daddy :)
SoulDawg74

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA