Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Press Conference

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Press Conference

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Here's what I'm getting from it:

1. They were shocked that LeBron left.

2. They had no contingency plan.

3. They have no idea what they're going to do next.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Press Conference

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:30 pm

There is no contingency plan to have that can't be made over the next several months. It's not like they could all of a sudden make a flurry of moves to take the team in another direction.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:34 pm

aoxo1 wrote:There is no contingency plan to have that can't be made over the next several months. It's not like they could all of a sudden make a flurry of moves to take the team in another direction.

I would argue that perhaps some of those Free Agents that would help this team and they now have the cap space to afford might be gone in several months.

Grant: "We were focusing 100% of our energies into getting LeBron to stay."

How is that possible when he wasn't returning your calls? Was all that energy spent on Power Point presentations?
Hikohadon

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 pm

What free agents?
aoxo1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:37 pm

aoxo1 wrote:What free agents?

BRAD MILLER!!!11!!!!!11!!!!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Aoxo, that profile picture is truly awesome.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:50 pm

I suppose that none of these guys could help the team, even if just a little:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nbafreeagenttracker2010
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:59 pm

agree with windhorst.

go ugly early, get bad, really bad. It'll hurt at first, but then we can make a run in the next offseason and finally build a team designed to win a championship.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby ajunior148 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:01 pm

aoxo1 wrote:There is no contingency plan to have that can't be made over the next several months. It's not like they could all of a sudden make a flurry of moves to take the team in another direction.

Not entirely true IMO. I think they need to start looking at dumping some of our better pieces in an attempt to bottom out for a higher draft pick next draft. Right now I'd think some of the top teams should be looking at guys like Andy, Mo, and Antwan as free for the taking.

Not that those guys would make a team, but if you're LA and you see other teams getting better why not see if you can get Mo for Sasha Vujcic and cash? They need a PG, and if they have the cash available he'd be a good option at this point in free agency.

From our perspective, we could give Gibson the starting PG duties and know that we'd lose more games because of this. And we'd be dumping salary for the future.

Shoot, even OKC may make sense for Jamison, I don't know. But there should be at least one or two moves we could do to help speed up the rebuilding process.
ajunior148

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 pm

ajunior148 wrote:

Not entirely true IMO. I think they need to start looking at dumping some of our better pieces in an attempt to bottom out for a higher draft pick next draft. Right now I'd think some of the top teams should be looking at guys like Andy, Mo, and Antwan as free for the taking.

Not that those guys would make a team, but if you're LA and you see other teams getting better why not see if you can get Mo for Sasha Vujcic and cash? They need a PG, and if they have the cash available he'd be a good option at this point in free agency.

From our perspective, we could give Gibson the starting PG duties and know that we'd lose more games because of this. And we'd be dumping salary for the future.

Shoot, even OKC may make sense for Jamison, I don't know. But there should be at least one or two moves we could do to help speed up the rebuilding process.

Why do you make them now rather than in January/February, when teams are less confident about their chances, have absorbed some injuries, had their weaknesses exposed, and the focus has shifted more in favor of the present season than the future? Teams can get nothing in return for players, but that's when they are over the cap trying to shed salary. The Cavs are well under the cap and won't be under pressure to dump Mo or Jamo's contracts.

And yeah Hiko, those guys would help a little. A little.
aoxo1

Unread postby ajunior148 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:23 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Why do you make them now rather than in January/February, when teams are less confident about their chances, have absorbed some injuries, had their weaknesses exposed, and the focus has shifted more in favor of the present season than the future? Teams can get nothing in return for players, but that's when they are over the cap trying to shed salary. The Cavs are well under the cap and won't be under pressure to dump Mo or Jamo's contracts.

I agree that there are benefits to your scenario, but there are negatives as well. I'm not certain that we'll get that good of offers closer to the trade deadline, but it's entirely possible.

Personally, I'd prefer to shed them now so that we aren't favored against the some of the very bad teams in the league. An 18 win season sounds better to me than a 30 win season strictly for the increased odds at the top pick in next years draft.

It's not a salary cap issue, it's a high draft pick issue IMO. The route I'd take right now is to try and trade for prospects that teams are down on (I'll mention Thabeet again) if you can while dumping our solid vets. If we don't do that it'll be nearly impossible to get another star player on this roster.
ajunior148

Unread postby ajunior148 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:30 pm

To clarify, I wouldn't "give" away Andy, but I'd trade him at a discount. Everyone else (outside of JJ) is available.
ajunior148

Unread postby scott » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Grant: "We were focusing 100% of our energies into getting LeBron to stay."

How is that possible when he wasn't returning your calls? Was all that energy spent on Power Point presentations?

Comment blew me away. No sense of reality.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Here's what I'm getting from it:

1. They were shocked that LeBron left.

2. They had no contingency plan.

3. They have no idea what they're going to do next.

4, New guy = Shapiro
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Why in the fuck would OKC, w/ Jeff Green want Jamo?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Grant nearly has me with gun to head. He is poster child for corporate stuffed shirt. His answers are empty and totally off target. More and more questions went to Scott where you at least get an answer. Unless this guy is some whiz at his desk, and just horrible behind the mic. I'm scared.

Could also be that he just is sooooooooooo smart and savvy that he knows giving any single detail could spell doom. There is no way in hell they didn't have all the contingency plans worked out. Whether those plans make sense is another deal. I'm sure Blanks and others took care of that while he focused on LeBron. Dear gawd learn how to handle a question or two...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:26 pm

On free agents, forget that pile of crap remaining. Unless some guys takes min money way spend anything on the worse then mediocre talent left.

Funny would be to sign T-Mac, AI, and Shaq to all short/min deals and put our 3 vs. Miami's 3... :thumb up:
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA