Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Gilbert Destroys LeBitch in Open Letter to Fans

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Gilbert Destroys LeBitch in Open Letter to Fans

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Amen to that Plain Dealer picture. Also I am glad that almost every single ESPN NBA analyst is a former player. Can I see an opinion from a former GM or is that too much to ask. I have to listen to Mark Jackson, Jon Berry, and Tim Leggggggggler? Really?

I am ready to do all those things Cleveland and Philly fan do when they are pissed/happy/betrayed. I have been drinking Haterade by the gallon today, that letter had me ready to fight. Missed the interview.

All he has to do is slowly back off the emotion now that a day has passed, but by no means should he let up on the rational attacks against the loyalty tatoo. Just get Chris Grant to die and it will top off my day.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Travis Rodgers chimes in

Even the children he and his team used as human shields didn’t help. He looked like he wanted to run out of the room and hide. He knew it looked horrible and that it was only going to get worse.

And then he started talking.

How did it get to that point? How did he never say, “Hold on. This is my life we’re talking about. You want me to go on TV and screw my hometown? Stick the knife in their backs in front of millions? That’s the pitch? For what? So everyone can hate me? So I can never go home again? OK, you are fired, you are fired, and you are fired. I don’t care if we were friends in 10th grade history, you’re an idiot and that is the worst idea since Kobe ordered room service.”

http://siliconangle.com/travisrodgersno ... 7/09/3699/

The first clue he was getting bad advice was they let him go on with that "beard".
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby JoJo White » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:30 pm

Magic GM piles on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5367298

Magic GM critical of LeBron's move

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A few welcoming shots at LeBron James is heating up the usually tame Sunshine State rivalry.

Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith said Friday he was surprised James went to Miami because he thought the two-time MVP was "more of a competitor."

He said the "great ones" do it on their own and "usually stay in one location."

It was rare public criticism from the usually coy Smith and perhaps a move to motivate his Magic. James had announced a day earlier that he was joining Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami to form an All-Star trio.

Asked if James' move to Miami will cause a power shift in the NBA, Smith responded, "Is Kobe retiring?"

"He's proven he can do it on his own," Smith said of Lakers star Kobe Bryant, smiling over the comments. "Oops. My bad."

Smith also said the Magic "still hold the crown" as the best in the Southeast Division, having won three straight titles. He added the Heat will be tough to beat, but are not unguardable.

"Unless they got three balls, you still guard them the same," Smith said. "They'll figure it out I'm sure. Somebody's going to end up with seven shots. Are they going to be OK with that? Somebody's got to be Robin. Are they OK with that? Those are the things they have to work out."

James' decision abruptly ended Orlando's growing rivalry with Cleveland.

The Magic eliminated the Cavaliers two years ago in the Eastern Conference finals, derailing the Kobe-LeBron dream Finals. James didn't shake hands with Orlando players afterward and skipped his postgame news conference.

Orlando and Cleveland had the NBA's best records last season. Cleveland eventually lost in the second round to Boston, which had eliminated the Magic in the conference finals.

Smith thought LeBron would want to win a title in Cleveland by beating stars such as Wade, Bryant and Orlando's Dwight Howard on a team where he was the sole leader.

"I was surprised that he went" to Miami, Smith said. "I thought he was, I guess, more of a competitor."

"The great ones do and usually stay in one location," he added. "This is a new era. It's a little different than my time."

The Magic, who went to the NBA Finals in 2009 and the Eastern Conference finals last season, have reigned supreme in the Sunshine State the past few seasons. The Miami Dream Machine clearly has Orlando's attention now.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby Friday » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:41 pm

This part most intrigued me:

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.
Friday

Favorite Player: Kevin Durant
Least Favorite Player: eh! Guess.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Orenthal wrote:
jb wrote:A "manor" is an abode, Hopkins.

A petulent little bitch, eh.

Really. Just take a day off.

Guess the wastland of you, OJ, Bow owow and 3 retards didn't work out, eh?

Not nice. BTW I haven't finished reading past this quote but I am not feeling Eye's POV on this outside of Gilbert enabling LeBron. But this part of the script could have been played by any character actor. Gilbert was caught in the chicken/egg thing. I'll fault him to the extent he went in coddling.

However Gilbert has proven himself to be a HUGE players owner in a players driven league. The massive investment in game presentation, creature comforts, and the freaking practice facility prove this all out. Five years of selling out to improving the organization ruined by a passionate letter that at points went overboard? I don't buy that, and the biggest voices bashing Gilbert are former players (bias?) and some national blog types that have an axe for Gilbert.

IMO any negative from this will blow over quickly.

My point is that every major decision Gilbert has made since buy the team has been an irrational reaction, not a plan.

My biggest problem is his growing resume of reactionary decisions. Guy's vision is massive change w/ out much thought behind it.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Watt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Watt
Talent On Loan From God

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Luis Valbuena

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Lee I fully understand that point, and am also concerned. He needs to unload his emotion within this week, then open the wallet, and let his basketball people get back to work. My hate for Grant will be limited to his stuffed shirt'ness as long as he can pull something off.

In reality even if Gilbert continues to be emo, but makes good on the winning no one will care. Just like being the quiet good owner for the past 3+ didn't matter in the long run.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Must read from Amick on The Letter and much more:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/09/mark ... -heat-fav/
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:54 pm

^^^^^Holy Shit Dude! Is that for real?

Sandwich, drink, and chips for 5 bucks? Sign me up.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Also thought Woj's piece was spot on. Haven't gotten to that thread, but the only thing that taints it a little is his ongoing beef with Gilbert. Seems some of his bias colored that even more negative then it should have been.

Perhaps I will have the time to skim all those posts... Bow, Eye, myself, and 3 retards did take less time to read through...
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Orenthal wrote:Lee I fully understand that point, and am also concerned. He needs to unload his emotion within this week, then open the wallet, and let his basketball people get back to work. My hate for Grant will be limited to his stuffed shirt'ness as long as he can pull something off.

In reality even if Gilbert continues to be emo, but makes good on the winning no one will care. Just like being the quiet good owner for the past 3+ didn't matter in the long run.

When was he quiet and good the past 3+ though?

In 2005 when he cleaned house and bent over for LBJ in the Hughes year?

When he irrationally chased Shaq w/ his huge expiring deals very early on instead of testing the market?

When he ran Ferry out of town?

When he hitched his wagon to Tom Izzo?

That's my thing. Owners needs to STFU and set an organizational plan. If you look at our roster plug and patch bullshit it wreaks of his attitude that change has to be made immediately (something he often says) and often before being thought through.

I'm very concerned about his ability to lay out a long term plan going forward and deal w/ it.

Guy strikes me as someone that plays w/ basketball and makes his money in bidness.

And I really don't want Cuban minus Dirk, Nash, et al.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Orenthal wrote:Also thought Woj's piece was spot on. Haven't gotten to that thread, but the only thing that taints it a little is his ongoing beef with Gilbert. Seems some of his bias colored that even more negative then it should have been.

Perhaps I will have the time to skim all those posts... Bow, Eye, myself, and 3 retards did take less time to read through...

Lesson learned there, T-Dog is a cock gurgling faggot and posting as much gets ten years posters banned months after calling said closet cumguzzler that.... ;-)

I'm half way back over there though, after receiving an apology phone call for my banning awhile ago.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:05 pm

If you feel like chewing on glass:

http://www.nba.com/live1/
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Orenthal wrote:
jb wrote:A "manor" is an abode, Hopkins.

A petulent little bitch, eh.

Really. Just take a day off.

Guess the wastland of you, OJ, Bow owow and 3 retards didn't work out, eh?

Not nice. .

I sorry. Glad Lee is ack and hope bow wow returns as well.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:09 pm

If anyone here thinks I took JB seriously today they are on crack. Known JB long enough to know that the poison runs thick right after heartbreak. JB's process is void of logic for until his liver cleans his blood. Shit, I remember Browns fuck ups where he wouldn't post after the game till Wed to not make a fool of himself.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:14 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If you feel like chewing on glass:

http://www.nba.com/live1/

I don't know why but I cannot stop watching. I feel like a cutter.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:14 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If anyone here thinks I took JB seriously today they are on crack. Known JB long enough to know that the poison runs thick right after heartbreak. JB's process is void of logic for until his liver cleans his blood. Shit, I remember Browns fuck ups where he wouldn't post after the game till Wed to not make a fool of himself.

Are you saying that you wish you hadn't posted until Wed?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Even though 2005 falls outside the 3+ I can't pretend it did not affect my timeframe. However to believe that that pressure was first applied by Gilbert, and not LeBron, is pure revision. Ferry had nothing to do with Shaq?. I think Ferry leaving was 50/50 guys unwilling to bend. Ferry wasn't so ideological in 2005 though was he? Ferry cannot be absolved for prior work, because we are now extrapolatin' he was pushed out. Izzo is 100% aagreement with your overall take. I just think alot of past decisions are now being fit into a templete to satisfy what was a unique free agent situation.

Which of course is a continuation of what I believe to be Gilbert's biggest unavoidable sin. That is the spoiling of LBJ thinking it would keep the once in a lifetime talent from leaving, but at the same time it inflated the ego and lead to a lack of accountability. Chick/egg... Whatever phrase you want to use for contributing to your own downfall by doing what was prescribed to do the opposite.

I don't think for a second that Gilbert created those character flaws.
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Wow, the Heat just credited Zo as being the third leg of the Heat's title. I mean, like dropped those three up against all the historic Big 3's.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Orenthal wrote:Even though 2005 falls outside the 3+ I can't pretend it did not affect my timeframe. However to believe that that pressure was first applied by Gilbert, and not LeBron, is pure revision. Ferry had nothing to do with Shaq?. I think Ferry leaving was 50/50 guys unwilling to bend. Ferry wasn't so ideological in 2005 though was he? Ferry cannot be absolved for prior work, because we are now extrapolatin' he was pushed out. Izzo is 100% aagreement with your overall take. I just think alot of past decisions are now being fit into a templete to satisfy what was a unique free agent situation.

Which of course is a continuation of what I believe to be Gilbert's biggest unavoidable sin. That is the spoiling of LBJ thinking it would keep the once in a lifetime talent from leaving, but at the same time it inflated the ego and lead to a lack of accountability. Chick/egg... Whatever phrase you want to use for contributing to your own downfall by doing what was prescribed to do the opposite.

I don't think for a second that Gilbert created those character flaws.

Ferry was working for six seconds in 2005 when that cap space was used. I can guaruntee the mantra to use it came down while he was interviewing. I know LBJ applied it, but so did Gilbert in his clean sweep. No Long Term thought process. Ferry is equally to blame in 2005, if for nothing more then being hired into that plan. Ferry has all the skills to be a very good GM, but he didn't use them to hold off the Wolves in 2005.

And I do think Gilbert played a roll in Shaq and the rush. After every single playoff series he pretty much said change is coming now and hard.

The Shaq deal is far more forgivable, I just hate that it happened so quickly.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Gilbert is like JB on the emotion part. JB is a fan, Gilbert an owner. Matters more to some then others. I see the logic and side with JB. This is independent of the Gilbert making emotional business/talent/FO/managemnt decisions. I am not quite on board with that outside the Izzo courting, whom I liked.

All pointless blathering...
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:27 pm

I'd love to know what long term plan Gilbert has ever shown for this franchise then, all the way up to his recent statement that we won't blow it up and rebuild.

His plan has never been anything beyond "LBJ"

Hopefully, in my mind, he learned from that.

And if you haven't seen his wild reactionary style I cannot lead the blind. It's there clear as day and each and every explosion makes it clearer.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 pm

FTR: and surprisingly, LBJ is the head highlights for this Heat intro, not Wade.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Honestly, watching this just doesn't feel real. It's like some fucked up movie. He's not gone. None of this happened. Next October things are going to tip and be just the same and this shit will fade like a bad dream.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:35 pm

Feel those points just not quite onboard yet Lee. IMO #1 problem the entire time was LeBron not selling out to the team as Singletary would say. How Gilbert didn't see that after 2-3 years and adjust? That and the coddlin' are the biggest problems IMO.

Keeping LeBron happy killed us even today. Looking at that free agent list just puts to bed any idea Gilbert had of making some move to keep winning on that front. LeBron kept us out of the game long enough to spoil any chance of even signing a Salmons type guy. Now the only hope for the win now method is trade. Could Gilbert afford to let it play out in a more measured way?

Sidenote:
I am taking my Shaq take to another level of retard. Lets sign T-Mac, AI, and Shaq and put together our own 3 headed power house. Sure its about 6-10 years too late, but damn all those guys should be able o be had on short cheap deals. Make it a fun train wreck while clearing the books.

Dan mention unknown territory, unexpected renewed commitment. Make it happen Dan!
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Get oughta the paint OJ.

Oh and

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I'd love to know what long term plan Gilbert has ever shown for this franchise then, all the way up to his recent statement that we won't blow it up and rebuild.

His plan has never been anything beyond "LBJ"

Hopefully, in my mind, he learned from that.

And if you haven't seen his wild reactionary style I cannot lead the blind. It's there clear as day and each and every explosion makes it clearer.

The LBJ plan was long term, was one many teams worked on, and given he was already ours was an acceptable plan. Amen, I hope he learned from that, and I am so on the ledge with your arguement that I only need 1 more explosion to agree.
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:41 pm

The paint is what pays my bills, and the lead has a great candy-like taste that does not have to be acquired.

I'm going with my plan. It isn't long term unless you consider it sucks and will lead to cap room and high picks.

ETA
Love the picture, those poor ladies.
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Seriously, I think the Heat went out and found every ugly person in Miami to pack the stadium for this rally. Christ. It's half wanna be gang banger Latino's and the rest straight trash.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:54 pm

The hot, hip, and rich will only show up for select games when the camera is ready. Only LA is a worse overall sports town.
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 pm

LBJ looks like a kid in a candy store.

It's real now.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Say word
Orenthal

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:01 pm

Not sure that Dan Gilbert wants to read this rebuttal :lmfao:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/07/09/m ... cnn_latest
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:10 pm

fundamentals wrote:Not sure that Dan Gilbert wants to read this rebuttal :lmfao:

I was furious when that guy left the Austin American Statesman.

He was a razor's edge from breaking out the race card.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:
fundamentals wrote:Not sure that Dan Gilbert wants to read this rebuttal :lmfao:

I was furious when that guy left the Austin American Statesman.

He was a razor's edge from breaking out the race card.

No shit. Half way through that I was sure it was coming.

I don't think that guy gets it at all. I'd like him to show me where anyone wrote anything about Lebron "owing" Cleveland anything.

Dane Cook doesn't owe me anything either. Does Roland want to argue with me about whether Dane's a douchebag?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:35 am

I'm not sure where the defenders think the disconnect is between him
a) Having an absolute right to leave
and
b) Him being a huge, egomaniacal, narcissistic Kim Kardashian wannabe

Both statements are undoubtedly, undeniably true.
aoxo1

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:01 am

We can go on about whether Gilbert should have kept his mouth shut

fact is, as soon as the dethroned said the family line, my mind was made up. Gilbert went out of his way to make LeBron feel welcomed and made many accommodations to his liking. To purposely say that line, it shows me how truly arrogant and out of touch with reality he is.

The sad part is, that side of the story isn't being reported. nope, rather it's about the selfish/psychotic owner that's the bad guy in all of this.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:19 am

Triple-S wrote:We can go on about whether Gilbert should have kept his mouth shut

fact is, as soon as the dethroned said the family line, my mind was made up. Gilbert went out of his way to make LeBron feel welcomed and made many accommodations to his liking. To purposely say that line, it shows me how truly arrogant and out of touch with reality he is.

The sad part is, that side of the story isn't being reported. nope, rather it's about the selfish/psychotic owner that's the bad guy in all of this.

Well, to be honest and fair, LBJ would have been buried under the negative press til Gilbert actually threw him a lifeline.

I'm still fine with how it went down on TMLP's side as noted before, but the Nat'l media crushed LBJ and this was the "But regardless of LBJ's ghastly act...." that pulled his head back above water.

Feels good to take that swing but sometimes you're gonna spend the night in a cell for it ;-)
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 am

e0y2e3 wrote:His plan has never been anything beyond "LBJ"

Well, what else should it have been, Eeyore? Honest question.

The way I see it this situation arose almost naturally out of LeBron not signing the max in 2006.

And FTR I agree with the substance of what you're saying about Gilbert. But I don't doubt LeBron was holding his feet to the fire the entire time.

I just hope he learns his lesson and that if we're fortunate enough to get some real talent in here, they come in knowing it's about the team and not them.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:42 am

There are things we will learn in time that went down between Dan and LeBron, no doubt. Stuff that would probably make a nice little sports documentary.

Lots of little things that Gilbert did for the team, for LeBron. IIRC didn't we wear one of our 2,000 different jerseys in defiance of NBA rules (even in the playoffs) in which each player that enters the game in said uni gets fined...Gilbert ate those fines up himself, allowing the team to wear the unis for the purposes of LeBron and his shoes?

Not sure I've seen this brought up yet, but what about the guys left on the roster. We forget LeBron left them high and dry as well. Sure they know the risks, the business, but LeBron supposedly loved those guys, every last one of them. I would think, hope, that there is some semblance of competitive spirit left in this world and some of the remaining Cavaliers take it personal and use it as motivation for the future.

I always hated Larry Bird growing up but GD how great would it be to have a guy like that here, even just back in the league. Teach these punks what being competitive is all about.

Is Gilbert going to sit on the floor for Heat games?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Which of course is a continuation of what I believe to be Gilbert's biggest unavoidable sin. That is the spoiling of LBJ thinking it would keep the once in a lifetime talent from leaving, but at the same time it inflated the ego and lead to a lack of accountability.

I don't buy the argument that Gilbert's "coddling" and "spoiling" of LeBron led to a lack of accountability and contributed to him leaving. I think LeBron had a sense of entitlement by the time he was driving a Hummer to class at SVSM. He was spoiled before he got to the Cavs.

As for accountability, his mama told him he wasn't accountable to nobody and he should just do whatever makes him happy and screw everybody else. At least that's what he said she told him. I gotta think his mama has more influence on him than Gilbert letting him pick the uniforms. Does anybody think he would have stayed if Gilbert treated him just like the 11th man on the end of the bench?

The only thing management could have done to keep him was to build a roster that won a couple of titles by now and was poised to win more. Which brings us back to the criticism that Gilbert wasted resources and precious years of LeBrons' career on players like Damon Jones, Yell, and Hughes that had no chance of ever winning a title.

In Gilbert's defense, Pluto points out that LeBron never gave the Cavs a long term committment, and as a result they were forced to sign veteran role players in an attempt to win quickly before LeBron's contract expired. So they acquired guys like Wally, Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Damon, Yell, Moon, AP, and Shaq to try and get LeBron that title and keep him here. They were never able to put the right pieces together and they never had six years to build it the right way.

Now Riley has the six years, and he also has a huge head start with Wade and Bosh instead of the riffraff on hand when LeBron was drafted. I'll be shocked if LeBron doesn't end up getting his "multiples".
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:06 pm

The owner gave him the keys to the franchise. At 18-19-20 he already had a sense of entitlement? No kidding, does that mean you take it to the next level? (stealing a Grant phrase) If you believe that Gilbert didn't contribute to this thinking it would secure his staying with the team you are foolish. Any coincidence he stayed quiet with "all that information" he had till just after the signing?
Orenthal

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:10 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:I just hope he learns his lesson and that if we're fortunate enough to get some real talent in here, they come in knowing it's about the team and not them.

If Gilbert handles this correctly in rebuilding this team, It'd be very interesting to see this. Hence, why I don't think I'm done with the NBA like I thought I would be.

Will we be seeing a team similiar to how the Detroit Pistons were in the middle of this decade?

I know this league is star driven, but is it possible to win in the NBA with such a model consistently?

but my faith is a bit shaken on this, can the Cavs front office draft well enough to accomplish such a thing?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:28 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/11/could-miamis-super-team-be-broken-up-after-one-year/

It's unlikely, but I will say two things that I have learned in three decades of watching sports. One, karma is a whore. Two, every time you have one of these too good to be true on paper situations where a manufactured team looks like a shoe in to win it all, rarely does it come to fruition like most think it will at the time. The recent and obvious exception is the Pierce, Garnett, Allen Celtics.

90% of NBA fans are going to want to see something bad or unfortunate happen to this Heat team. Many of us in here will be praying for it. Lets hope those prayers are answered.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Triple-S wrote:We can go on about whether Gilbert should have kept his mouth shut

I think Gilbert coulda/shoulda sent a letter that made his points, almost all his points, but done so in a much milder, more professional manner. He could have inferred his points. He coulda/shoulda said that the fans deserved better treatment than this, that the organization deserved better treatment than this, without name calling. The name calling can be inferred. And just leave out any predictions, but do say, "we are as committed as ever to...." He would have been perceived as taking the high road while stating his disappointment and commitment at the same time.

I am not judging Gilbert on this, but many are. I enjoyed his rage, because I share it. I do think it deflected the nation's disgust in LeBron somewhat.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby pup » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:38 pm

Any chance there is a portion of young, talented NBA ballers hate LeBron just as much as we do? And this move by Gilbert endears them to him?

I know, I am begging, but...
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:56 pm

pup wrote:Any chance there is a portion of young, talented NBA ballers hate LeBron just as much as we do? And this move by Gilbert endears them to him?

I know, I am begging, but...

+1.

You get a point for even having that thought! It makes my flashing "maybe we're closer to a ring without him" thought seem less insane...
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:36 pm

I took the opportunity to read "The Letter" again and still am struck by Gilbert's comments. It's one way to feel the way he does but he has one guy to blame....himself. Seems like a guy who has made millions by knowing how businesses run that he would be so short-sighted to think that LBJ was coming back to his fold so easily. Doesn't seem to me that Gilbert has a "plan B" to fall back, at least not presently. The Cavaliers are in the running for what other free agents, looking to trade to acquire ????, lots of questions.

In his position, one of leadership, he has to show some restraint, in my opinion. Seems like the barbs thrown out there were just of a person who was much like many of the fans. Some people call it passion. I might quantify it as stupidity, in the short and long run of things because what player would want to come here with a guy like that?

For a guy who has established himself in the USA as a financial/business genius, seems like a great deal of whining to me. Then again, I am not losing millions by seeing the biggest meal ticket to ever be in the city of Cleveland. Just my 2 cents.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:46 pm

fund, what the hell is the plan B to losing a LeBron James? Seriously.
aoxo1

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA