Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Gilbert Destroys LeBitch in Open Letter to Fans

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Gilbert Destroys LeBitch in Open Letter to Fans

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:56 am

Eh

The whiny writings of a man who just lost half a billion dollars, trying a preemptive measure before he loses his entire fanbase, and attempting to use their anger to rally together.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:57 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:It was a bit of an obscene charade, no?

much like ass less chaps,
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:57 am

Our credibility with FA's was ruined the second that LeBron said "Miami." If a hometown guy won't take more money to play here, what free agent will beyond the ones we'd dramatically overpay? As in, no one worthy of a max deal, because you can't overpay them. Maybe we land some fringe-level star with a max deal, but such a guy would sign a max deal if it was offered to him by Hitler.

Meanwhile, Gilbert protects the investment by appealing to the things Cleveland fans understand: anger, disappointment, and an absolute certainty that next time, Lucy won't pull the ball away.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:01 am

This letter destroys any chance of LeBron waking up in the morning and saying "Fuck. My bad. I really shouda stayed. That contract's not finalized yet, is it?"
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:02 am

any cavs player who feels the neede to suck up needs to go now, like Mo in tweet
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Funky Cold Luis Medina » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 am

Is it too early to congratulate the Seattle Cavaliers on the 2015 NBA Championship?
I am the sumo florist, and flowers are my trade.
Funky Cold Luis Medina
Insert Title Here

Favorite Player: Cory Snyder
Least Favorite Player: Everyone else

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 am

jb wrote:any cavs player who feels the neede to suck up needs to go now, like Mo in tweet

Yeah, I'm not really impressed by mogotti2 right now.
# @DaKidLilMo chill homie. He did what's best for him bro. Don't do that. U better than that 36 minutes ago via Echofon in reply to DaKidLilMo

# Well fuck, I gotta be honest. I'm sick ass a dog. I feel like my heart has been pulled out. But I'm happy for my friend. Shittttttttt 43 minutes ago via Echofon

# Congrats to my homie @kingjames. Love u homie. It's been great. about 3 hours ago via Echofon

I wonder if he's resenting being on the trading block now.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:02 am

I agree with every word he said.

I don't care where he's from. If you're a tool bag, you're a tool bag. I'm done with him. I'm ashamed to say he's from Akron. Don't come back.

He quit in the playoffs, changed his whole attitude, he'll never take a team to the championship. He needs to jump on DWade's coat tails to win.

Just another player who couldn't get it done in the playoffs. No better than CC or Jose or anyone else who chokes on the big one.

I am a witness... :fu:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:19 am

Dan Gilbert is a fucking idiot, period.

While what he said may have been true he owns the team he built (which is what chased LBJ away) and he owns the summer of 2005 when he okayed spending massive dollars on Hughes, Jones and Yell.

He owns that, no one else.

LBJ treated this whole process like a spoiled little fuck and exposed himself to the world in doing so. He took beating from everyone from The Nation to TCF and all of them were deserved. Erik Rydolm of PTI was his only defender as of this afternoon and after The Decision even he gave up.

Gilbert was more then in his right to share his belief that the behavior of LBJ was unacceptable, but by doing so in the manor he did he ensured that no player (FA or otherwise) is ever going to trust him again. Just because Cleveland lost the home town kid in this one in a million meeting of three All-Stars doesn't mean that the next guy was going to treat Cleveland the same or have the same opportunities. Now every star in the NBA has seen an owner that will publicly SHRED a player he spent 5 years enabling if that player goes against him. They see an owner that instead of just stating his displeasure sunk to childish insults and ridiculous accusations (seriously, accusing LBJ of quitting in Game 6 against Orlando?!).

Gilbert could have rallied the fanbase and made his point in the manor that one would expect from a billionaire, instead he turned into a scorned child. Same way he did w/ Ferry after the season and has thus far shown an inability to run this franchise on anything but emotional whim (read 2005 FA, feeding LBJ to make him the monster he is today, Ferry, chasing Izzo, and this).

He seems like a good guy and one that genuinely cares, but he also needs to treat his basketball team as something other then an emotional outlet. I doubt he got where he is in his career by reacting impulsively on gut, why does he expect the NBA to be any different?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:24 am

Mo is still going strong:
mogotti2

1. I'm still can't believe he gone y'all. 4real no bs. I think we all took it for granted and thought it was a nobrainer and he was resighning half a minute ago via Echofon
2. We got to step it up now that's all. We will be good next year. And hearing our owner keeps me convinced. 2 minutes ago via Echofon
3. The night of the unexpected. Who am I kidding 3 minutes ago via Echofon
4. I know we all angry, mad, disappointed. But remember that's a triple double walking. Let's pray he have a change of heart 2nite. It is the 4 minutes ago via Echofon
5. But we will make it thru. Fuuuuuuuuck 31 minutes ago via Echofon
6. To have played with such a special player. We were so damn close. So damn close now we have taken leaps and bounds backwards. This will be 31 minutes ago via Echofon
7. It in cle a whole lot more. But I have no idea what went on behind closed doors but I can sit here today and say that I am truly blessed 32 minutes ago via Echofon
8. Love u bron and always will. I knowu made your decision for the rt reason but we could have got it done here and u would have enjoyed 33 minutes ago via Echofon
9. Never see this again. 34 minutes ago via Echofon
10. On national tv. But this was history so we might not understand the magnitude today. But when we look back on this, we might not 35 minutes ago via Echofon
11. The only thing, and I mean the only thing I disagree with is.... If he knew somewhere else was the destination. He should have spared cle 37 minutes ago via Echofon
12. I can't believe this is really real. This is surreal. So many emotions on one man decision. I wonder what is our next move. 41 minutes ago via Echofon
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:25 am

Oh and just look at Wade's comments on the matter, trust that most of the players in tAssociation feel the same:

"I think I'm happy that I have the owner that I have here in Miami," Wade told The Associated Press late Thursday night. "I'm happy Micky Arison is my owner. I couldn't believe it. I'm speechless. It's very unfortunate and I think it makes LeBron that much better about his decision.

-Wade
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:30 am

In the morning I may feel different about the team owner making those statements. And I'm sure Gilbert will too.

But it's nice to hear a Cleveland owner show some emotions. Hell I have a hard time remembering who owns the Browns. I know who the Indian's owner is, I hear Forbe's talking about how he owns one of the most profitable franchises in baseball. And it shows in the standings...

DG didn't make those player moves, he let Ferry do that. He just signed off on the paychecks and luxury tax.

We were never able to get free agents to come to Cleveland in a winter sport anyhow. We couldn't get free agents with The Chosen One playing media whore with his three year contract.
Last edited by Spin on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:30 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and just look at Wade's comments on the matter, trust that most of the players in tAssociation feel the same:

"I think I'm happy that I have the owner that I have here in Miami," Wade told The Associated Press late Thursday night. "I'm happy Micky Arison is my owner. I couldn't believe it. I'm speechless. It's very unfortunate and I think it makes LeBron that much better about his decision.

-Wade

Gee, Wade is trying to justify LeBron's decision. Shocking.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:32 am

Hiko, if you think most every star in the NBA isn't thankful they don't have an owner that would do this you are on crack.

Wade's comments are not surprising, but they ring true.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:41 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Hiko, if you think most every star in the NBA isn't thankful they don't have an owner that would do this you are on crack.

Wade's comments are not surprising, but they ring true.

A. Mark Cuban has done OK, and he's made comments like this a daily occurrence.

B. Hopefully the Owners break the Players in the next CBA, and then we won't have to give a shit what the players think.

C. Cleveland couldn't get Free Agents to come here before his statement, so what's the difference? Oh no, Jamario Moon II Electric Boogaloo won't come here because the Owner is Mean.

D. Mo Williams disagrees. "We got to step it up now that's all. We will be good next year. And hearing our owner keeps me convinced."
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:44 am

A. When has Cuban personally attacked a player from his squads in this manor, because I'd love to see it

B. If you want NFL level mediocrity be my guest, we were able to offer $30MM more and lost a player because we built a sub-par team. That's fair to me.

C. Really, that is your argument. The only FA's we have missed out on in the LBJ era stayed home for the extra $30MM or wouldn't sign long term because LBJ wouldn't commit and they had offers from contenders. We have never been in a situation where we had young talent and a chance to reup a stud. If you put those things together you keep the LBJs and KDs of the world. Bosh spurned us to go to South Beach w/ Wade, so what, that says nothing about the fact that talent and winning attracts Free Agents. Milwaukee reupped Michael Redd, OKC KD, Detroit all of their guys, etc....

D. Yeah, Mo Williams is saying the right things because he is a Gilbert employee, lord knows what would happen if he didn't. He's not a FA that is staring at signing up to play for a team where an owner has already publicly attacked the star he made because he spurned him. And I'd love to hear Mo's agents thoughts on the matter.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:A. When has Cuban personally attacked a player, because I'd love to see it

B. If you want NFL level mediocrity be my guest, we were able to offer $30MM more and lost a player because we built a sub-par team. That's fair to me.

C. Really, that is your argument. The only FA's we have missed out on in the LBJ era stayed home for the extra $30MM or wouldn't sign long term because LBJ wouldn't commit and they had offers from contenders. We have never been in a situation where we had young talent and a chance to reup a stud. If you put those things together you keep the LBJ's and KD's of the world. Bosh spurned us to go to South Beach w/ Wade, so what, that says nothing about the fact that talent and winning attracts Free Agents.

A. Cuban has attacked plenty of players not on his roster. And their mommas.

B. Yes, I would love the NBA to be just like the NFL.

C. If talent and winning attracts Free Agents, then why didn't Bosh come here? Let's say LeBron told Bosh "Either you come to Cleveland with me or go to Miami with Wade", do you really think Bosh would've though Miami was closer to a Championship than Cleveland? If you take the 2009-2010 Heat vs. the 2009-2010 Cavs, and you add Bosh to either one, which is closer to the Ring?

Yet Bosh chose Miami anyway. Maybe he knew LeBron would follow. Maybe not. I wasn't privvy to that conversation.

D. You might be right. But I'm fine with the players toeing the company line. I don't care what they really think.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 am

Bosh had his sit down w/ Wade and LBJ and made his decision.

I'll give you this, in the future if a FA has the opportunity to go to South Beach w/ a star and Pat Riley or come to Cleveland w/ LBJ (maybe, we have no idea if LBJ even actually tried to sell him or that was just spin) he may choose the former.

Even w/ Bosh our roster had plenty of holes.

I editted for you dropping examples.

I hate the NFL system, you like it, whatever, this is the first time on record a FA of LBJ's caliber has dropped the $30MM. But, you sort of follow this stuff so you know.

And again, Cuban calling out a player for a playoff series against his team is totally different then enabling a star and then ripping him publicly when he turns down your offer. Apples and oranges. Employee versus competitor.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:55 am

And just for shits and giggles, Kevin Durant, Michael Redd, Chauncy Billups, etc.....

Money, young talent and the chance for rings wins out 99.999999999% of the time.

The Browns are the biggest joke in the NFL but because Lerner has thrown big money at people they have signed there. So goes the sports world.

Stop being a self loathing Clevelander for a minute.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:56 am

Was curious, if this was indeed set up like the NFL, how different would the league look right now?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:05 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Bosh had his sit down w/ Wade and LBJ and made his decision.

I'll give you this, in the future if a FA has the opportunity to go to South Beach w/ a star and Pat Riley or come to Cleveland w/ LBJ (maybe, we have no idea if LBJ even actually tried to sell him or that was just spin) he may choose the former.

Even w/ Bosh our roster had plenty of holes.

I editted for you dropping examples.

I hate the NFL system, you like it, whatever, this is the first time on record a FA of LBJ's caliber has dropped the $30MM. But, you sort of follow this stuff so you know.

And again, Cuban calling out a player for a playoff series against his team is totally different then enabling a star and then ripping him publicly when he turns down your offer. Apples and oranges. Employee versus competitor.

Semantics that I don't need to debate because it's late and you have your points and I just don't care anymore.

Soon enough, Gilbert's comments will be forgotten or conveniently ignored IF he can turn the Cavs into a winning team AND pay the players the way they want to be paid, same as Cuban's comments are. None of it can't be fluffed off as emotional outburst - it will have a negligable long-term effect compared to team success and the preconceived national notion that no one wants to willingly come to Cleveland even in its prime (Trevor Ariza, Ron Artest, Chris Bosh).

If Gilbert backs up his big talk, this kind of proclamation not only won't hurt him, it will be heralded.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:08 am

e0y2e3 wrote:And just for shits and giggles, Kevin Durant, Michael Redd, Chauncy Billups, etc.....

Money, young talent and the chance for rings wins out 99.999999999% of the time.

The Browns are the biggest joke in the NFL but because Lerner has thrown big money at people they have signed there. So goes the sports world.

Stop being a self loathing Clevelander for a minute.

Que?

How, pray, am I self-loathing?

Redd stayed for a chance at rings? Wasn't aware...
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:08 am

As I said, Ariza said point blank he wouldn't come because of LBJ and Artest took less money for a ring.

Bosh is the only example of a player spurning Cleveland when presented a golden opportunity, it, the only one.

The others, Ray Allen and Michael Redd stayed for the extra $30MM and, ironicly w/ how they have aged they would not have sniffed that $30MM had they not taken it.

This notion that FA's hate Cleveland is absurd, they follow the money and the chance for ring sometimes one overrules the other. It isn't about winter or Cleveland.

You can have Chris Bosh, I'll take the rest of the decade in the NBA.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:08 am

Triple-S wrote:Was curious, if this was indeed set up like the NFL, how different would the league look right now?

LeBron would be bitching about having the Franchise Tag slapped on him.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:10 am

Hikohadon wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Was curious, if this was indeed set up like the NFL, how different would the league look right now?

And then the Cavs would have to surround him w/ an even gagglier collection of scrubs because he would eat the entire cap and we could be promised playoffs annually that feature sub-par talent committing turnovers and penalties like a high school team.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:12 am

Hikohadon wrote:Soon enough, Gilbert's comments will be forgotten or conveniently ignored IF he can turn the Cavs into a winning team AND pay the players the way they want to be paid, same as Cuban's comments are.

Agents never forget.

Cubans comments were never in the ballpark of Gilberts.

And hell, even Cuban has learned that he had to start shutting the fuck up to win.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:12 am

e0y2e3 wrote:As I said, Ariza said point blank he wouldn't come because of LBJ and Artest took less money for a ring.

Bosh is the only example of a player spurning Cleveland when presented a golden opportunity, it, the only one.

The others, Ray Allen and Michael Redd stayed for the extra $30MM and, ironicly w/ how they have aged they would not have sniffed that $30MM had they not taken it.

This notion that FA's hate Cleveland is absurd, they follow the money and the chance for ring sometimes one overrules the other. It isn't about winter or Cleveland.

You can have Chris Bosh, I'll take the rest of the decade in the NBA.

I don't think we're communicating.

I'm not bemoaning "oh, poor us, no one wants to come here". I do believe that FA's will go where they can get paid and can win.

I believe that much more in the NFL than I do in the NBA, which is all about Superstardom, but that's just parsing hairs.

The only point that I was trying to make is that the Free Agents that already weren't coming here won't extra not come here because the owner is mouthy. And if Free Agents truly follow winning and money, then they'll come here if Gilbert can provide either or both, no matter what he said.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:13 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

And then the Cavs would have to surround him w/ an even gagglier collection of scrubs because he would eat the entire cap and we could be promised playoffs annually that feature sub-par talent committing turnovers and penalties like a high school team.

Which would be inferior to losing him with zero compensation in what way?
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:14 am

Hikohadon wrote:The only point that I was trying to make is that the Free Agents that already weren't coming here won't extra not come here because the owner is mouthy. And if Free Agents truly follow winning and money, then they'll come here if Gilbert can provide either or both, no matter what he said.

When peeps are looking at big fat offers from Fortune 100 companies spread about different locales the idea of working for a hot head who will knife you in the back can be a pretty intense turn off.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:15 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Soon enough, Gilbert's comments will be forgotten or conveniently ignored IF he can turn the Cavs into a winning team AND pay the players the way they want to be paid, same as Cuban's comments are.

Agents never forget.

Cubans comments were never in the ballpark of Gilberts.

And hell, even Cuban has learned that he had to start shutting the fuck up to win.

For Agents (and players), money and rings are powerful inducers of temporary Alzheimers.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:16 am

Hikohadon wrote:

Well, he could have just followed the NFL superstar model and demanded a trade as well.

Of course, we could have Sign and Traded him in this situation, but Gilbert didn't want to give him the satisfaction.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 am

Oh and not to mention that Gilbert acting like a five year old also did LBJ the favor of getting the national spotlight and heat taken off of him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:The only point that I was trying to make is that the Free Agents that already weren't coming here won't extra not come here because the owner is mouthy. And if Free Agents truly follow winning and money, then they'll come here if Gilbert can provide either or both, no matter what he said.

When peeps are looking at big fat offers from Fortune 100 companies spread about different locales the idea of working for a hot head who will knife you in the back can be a pretty intense turn off.

I think you're taking this way too seriously, but what do I know?
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:18 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Well, he could have just followed the NFL superstar model and demanded a trade as well.

Of course, we could have Sign and Traded him in this situation, but Gilbert didn't want to give him the satisfaction.

And then the team could have followed the NFL front office model and told him to go fuck himself.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:19 am

Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

And then the team could have followed the NFL front office model and told him to go fuck himself.

Yep, then lost him for nothing next year.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:20 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and not to mention that Gilbert acting like a five year old also did LBJ the favor of getting the national spotlight and heat taken off of him.

That is true. But Gilbert's spazzing will be forgotten in a week. The heat will be on LeBron all next season.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:21 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Yep, then lost him for nothing next year.

You can Franchise a player as many times as you want to.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:22 am

Two years in a row is the max I thought, and either way after the next CBA it will be one.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:27 am

So we've only got LeBron until 2012 until we lose him for nothing (as opposed to losing him now).

Or, maybe you trade him during the second year of his Franchise, cuz at least then you know he's going and you get something for him.

By the way, where did you read you can only Franchise a player twice? I'm under the impression that it's unlimited.
Last edited by Hikohadon on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:27 am

And, of course, I am just singling this out as another symptom of Gilbert having no control over his emotions when it comes to running this franchise. He hasn't shown the ability to live up to his promise in anyway and has shown himself to be nothing more then a reactionary and emotionally spastic owner that lacks long term vision.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:29 am

e0y2e3 wrote:And, of course, I am just singling this out as another symptom of Gilbert having no control over his emotions when it comes to running this franchise. He hasn't shown the ability to live up to his promise in anyway and has shown himself to be nothing more then a reactionary and emotionally spastic owner that lacks long term vision.

Regardless of your feeling about him, I would hope that he learned an important lesson from all of this. I don't care if he's emotional if he makes the right decisions. They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:35 am

Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:And, of course, I am just singling this out as another symptom of Gilbert having no control over his emotions when it comes to running this franchise. He hasn't shown the ability to live up to his promise in anyway and has shown himself to be nothing more then a reactionary and emotionally spastic owner that lacks long term vision.

Regardless of your feeling about him, I would hope that he learned an important lesson from all of this. I don't care if he's emotional if he makes the right decisions. They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Up to this point he hasn't once made the right decisions and his decisions have all been dictated by emotions, that is my point.

Sure there is hope he learned from this, but I doubt it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:37 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Up to this point he hasn't once made the right decisions and his decisions have all been dictated by emotions, that is my point.

Sure there is hope he learned from this, but I doubt it.

Well, at least he will no longer have LeBron's happiness to worry about anymore, so decisions will hopefully go from "What will make LeBron stay?" to "What will make this team better?"
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:44 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Two years in a row is the max I thought, and either way after the next CBA it will be one.

The players will not gain one inch against the NFL. They'll get nothing and like it.
Hikohadon

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:58 am

The satisfaction of winning the Championship first would be too much for me to contain.

How does it happen though? I know Gilbert has said he doesn't mind paying the luxury tax if it means a Championship team but I don't think he's considered the problems of luring great players to this team.

I still think with Mo, AJ, West and co (plus modest to really good additions) we can be a playoff team. 7th or 8th seed maybe but still...

The way the team plays now will be more TEAM orientated and we have a head coach who knows offense so I think we'll see better from Mo and Jamison this season.

But quite clearly we're far and away from being a Finals team now.

I just hope LeBron earns himself the label of Marbury Mark II
the ringless failure
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:04 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:This letter destroys any chance of LeBron waking up in the morning and saying "Fuck. My bad. I really shouda stayed. That contract's not finalized yet, is it?"

It would be interesting to see how Gilbert back pedals if LeBron did change his mind
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:07 am

FTR....its the fans that have created these self centered prima donnas by idolizing them and using their hard earned dollars to support them and buy their stupid shit

That this ignoramous had so many eating out of his hand for so long is epic in itself

As ya's grow older you'll become more and more like moi... ;-) ;) :wink: and care less and less about these fools and the entire sports industry

Quit feeding the hype machine. There's no where to go but down

As for LaPimp, he's not even Queen James like SD suggests...he's a fucking Joker
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby waborat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:19 am

peeker643 wrote:

Tonight he's one of us. Hopefully in a week he's not.

Agree...

To stay one of us, he'd have to send Sasha MFn Kaun out in a #23 jersey on opening night
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby pup » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:21 am

Eoy - If you can't see Gilbert's letter as a reaction to "The Decision" rather a reaction to the decision itself, then you are as most have painted you. Nothing more than a bored nothing better to do with more time than you know what to do with that hunts around, reads a bunch of info and the regurgitates it anywhere your attitude hasn't run you from.

Had The Princess done this like everyone else, and simply held a press conference in his new city, and said I think Miami gives me the best shot to win, there would not be a peep around, including Dan Gilbert, who could attack him. Plenty could not agree, but nothing to the level that it is today. Had he had the decency to make a phone call to Dan Gilbert, a man who has gone over the top and out of his way to make LeBron as happy as possible over the years, and not have him find out the way he did, that letter would be completely different.

At the end of the day, James chose what he thought was an attempt at winning over money. Sucks for us. But nothing to be taken to the woodshed for. In most circles, he should be getting commended for it. We bitch about CC and Thome and Belle and the likes, and what he did should be refreshing. Instead, he is being almost universally killed today. Should tell ya something.

But no, The Princess got her way. Now he can take it like his old lady.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:47 am

pup wrote:Eoy - If you can't see Gilbert's letter as a reaction to "The Decision" rather a reaction to the decision itself, then you are as most have painted you. Nothing more than a bored nothing better to do with more time than you know what to do with that hunts around, reads a bunch of info and the regurgitates it anywhere your attitude hasn't run you from.

Had The Princess done this like everyone else, and simply held a press conference in his new city, and said I think Miami gives me the best shot to win, there would not be a peep around, including Dan Gilbert, who could attack him. Plenty could not agree, but nothing to the level that it is today. Had he had the decency to make a phone call to Dan Gilbert, a man who has gone over the top and out of his way to make LeBron as happy as possible over the years, and not have him find out the way he did, that letter would be completely different.

At the end of the day, James chose what he thought was an attempt at winning over money. Sucks for us. But nothing to be taken to the woodshed for. In most circles, he should be getting commended for it. We bitch about CC and Thome and Belle and the likes, and what he did should be refreshing. Instead, he is being almost universally killed today. Should tell ya something.

But no, The Princess got her way. Now he can take it like his old lady.

Yeah, bottom line is there are two issues at hand, and one of them, the one he is deservedly getting heat for, he created himself.

Look, the guy is going to a place where he thinks he can win, and win now. At mid-season everyone here was championing that train of thought because they felt Cleveland would be that place. Now that it is cleary not, instead of fulfilling his wish to go to a winner he's "doesn't want to be the man" blah blah blah...

But the major issue at hand is the way it was handled, and without being there I'm quite positive this was the trigger for Gilbert's venom. Wire to wire this was handled awfully, and I would assume by Gilbert's anger, worse than we know at this point.

This all being said, I think it would be prudent for the owner to take a few breaths because, while this may get the throng behind him, I'm not sure it does much good for the franchise as a whole.

It's not fuck him for the choice, it's fuck him for the process ILO.
leadpipe
The Reverend

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA