Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Amar'e the First Domino to Fall

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Amar'e the First Domino to Fall

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:09 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Amar'e the First Domino to Fall

Unread postby CharacterIV » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Saw this one coming a mile away, and that's where it'll end for the Knicks. No Wade, no Johnson, no Bosh, and no LeBron. Hope Amar'e is worth two tanked seasons and a gutted roster to the ever-faithful New York Knicks fans. Amar'e, soon to be the quintessential player putting up monster numbers on a bad team.

Anyone up for some Knick win total prognostication? (Barring the worst event in the world happening, LeBron taking leave of his senses.)
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby ajunior148 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:52 pm

I don't think this is as bad a move as most probably do. Danilo paired with Amare will prove to be two very gifted forwards in D'Antoni's offense, and Chandler will be solid for them as their first forward off the bench. They still need a defensive big man and a guard, but this is a solid first start in an off season where we will see at least one and probably two teams with massive cap room strike out.

If they can turn Lee into another good player, preferably at guard, they could be in very good shape.
ajunior148

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:12 pm

If the Knicks can flip for Agent Zero Common Sense, then it won't be a horribad offseason. They won't be serious contenders, but a playoff team that'll be entertaining to watch is light years ahead of what they've been the past decade.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby CharacterIV » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:If the Knicks can flip for Agent Zero Common Sense, then it won't be a horribad offseason. They won't be serious contenders, but a playoff team that'll be entertaining to watch is light years ahead of what they've been the past decade.

Yes, I'd say Gilbert Arenas under the scrutiny of the NYC media will certainly be entertaining.

Inevitably better with Amar'e and other moves, but I am praying for the vindication of Knick fans' sugarplum visions of LBJ, Bosh and Wade lighting up MSG shattering to pieces.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:38 pm

So, can anyone tell me what Gil did in terms of his craziness to ever hurt his on the court game beyond this Dec?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So, can anyone tell me what Gil did in terms of his craziness to ever hurt his on the court game beyond this Dec?

Not the head but the knee.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby ajunior148 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So, can anyone tell me what Gil did in terms of his craziness to ever hurt his on the court game beyond this Dec?

I have no idea what your point is, but he did do this in January.

Not sure what that has to do with the Knicks, though.
ajunior148

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:27 pm

jb wrote:

Not the head but the knee.

Gets my point and not going to argue that point.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 am

That team is going to be an epic joke without a GOOD point guard. I don't care what forwards they put out there, but without a premier ball-handler distributing in that offense, its going to be more of the same for D'Antoni and that poor excuse of a team playing in MSG.

For the record, I would take Gil in a heartbeat as long as his knee was up to snuff. The rest is just completely overblown and could imagine this happening a lot more than any insiders would say or regular folks suspect. JMHO.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:10 am

I'm gonna be curious to see how Amare does playing a majority of his games against the East and their bigger front courts.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:25 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:I'm gonna be curious to see how Amare does playing a majority of his games against the East and their bigger front courts.

That and getting the rock fed to him by the 3-headed monster of Chris Duhon, Eddie House, and Sergio Rodriguez.

Amare: "Catch ball from Steve Nash and finish at rim very very good. Create own space with post moves and smarts very bad."
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:42 am

Yeah ... combination of leaving Nash, prior microfracture surgery, and fact he doesn't play D and is going to the league's worst defensive team ... I'd be shocked if they get their money's worth on this one.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:48 am

Is he really an upgrade over David Lee?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 am

pup wrote:Is he really an upgrade over David Lee?

For New York, yeah. They wanted the star power as much as the player. David Lee is good (though if possible, he might play slightly worse defense than Amare) but Amare has the ability to put butts in the seats even on a bad team, which this will almost certainly be.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:03 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

For New York, yeah. They wanted the star power as much as the player. David Lee is good (though if possible, he might play slightly worse defense than Amare) but Amare has the ability to put butts in the seats even on a bad team, which this will almost certainly be.

Don't the Knicks draw well even when they suck though?

Question Pup should have asked - if they attract no other big name FA ... is this a major upgrade to Lee? Lee plays no D whatsoever either though. Lee was 20 & 12 last year ... Amare was 23 and 9. Also, Suns scored over 110 ppg last year, Bricks were down at 102 ppg ... so it's not like Amare is going to a much more fast paced O with a lot more possessions per game.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:07 am

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:I'm gonna be curious to see how Amare does playing a majority of his games against the East and their bigger front courts.

That and getting the rock fed to him by the 3-headed monster of Chris Duhon, Eddie House, and Sergio Rodriguez. Amare: "Catch ball from Steve Nash and finish at rim very very good. Create own space with post moves and smarts very bad."

Make that a 2 headed monster

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5357340

Free agent point guard Chris Duhon agreed to a four year, $15 million dollar contract with the Orlando Magic, his agent, Kevin Bradbury, told ESPN.com.

So does this open up Tony Parker to go to NY since Amare has spoken to him?
I've talked to Tony Parker. Both guys are ready to join me if I decide to come here. So we'll see if we can work it out."

**the other guy in that quote is Carmelo but word is this morning that he plans to re-sign w/ Denver
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby CP » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 am

swerb wrote:Yeah ... combination of leaving Nash, prior microfracture surgery, and fact he doesn't play D and is going to the league's worst defensive team ... I'd be shocked if they get their money's worth on this one.

On the court, they will not get their money's worth. Off the court, they'll probably do OK. He at least gives them a legit All-Star player with some buzz to his name and is more marketable than his predecessor, David Lee.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:23 am

swerb wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

Don't the Knicks draw well even when they suck though?

Question Pup should have asked - if they attract no other big name FA ... is this a major upgrade to Lee? Lee plays no D whatsoever either though. Lee was 20 & 12 last year ... Amare was 23 and 9. Also, Suns scored over 110 ppg last year, Bricks were down at 102 ppg ... so it's not like Amare is going to a much more fast paced O with a lot more possessions per game.

At the risk of inspiring a flmaethrower my way, I don't even know if STAT and Bosh are what woul normally be considered "max" FA's. They aren't Bron and D wade. They are in the right place at the right time (let alone Johnson).

They are very good players. They are not "great". Bosh couldn't lift T-town to do jack squat and Amar'e's knees is what it is.

Neither blow me away.

Upgrade over Le? You bectha. At opportunity cost and expectations? No way.

In two year sthe biggest story will be the non-impact the sumer of 2010 made on the Assocation. One guy isn't the way to go unless it is a bona fide MVP type candidate.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 am

I think NY was desperate to upgrade in a way that MIGHT induce a guy like LBJ or Wade to more strongly consider NYC. If one of them does consider NYC and ends up there because Amare went (and I doubt they do) then Amare was well worth the max. I think you'll better be able to gauge Amare's value based on whether it induces anyone else to play with him in NYC.

Just a thought.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 am

From what people out west said, there was hope for Sergio Rodriguez....he could eventually turn into a serviceable bench rotation guard. Back court is a disaster in NY though.

He'll never live to carry Gorin Dragic's jock, though...Amar'e was much better suited staying in Phoenix to keep his previous numbers. I liked the tweet (think it was simmons) that said that clearly the Knicks didn't watch what happened to Shawn Marion when he left the Steve Nash circle of trust.

The rip on Gilbert going forward isn't his ability to put the ball in the hoop; he's always been a fantastic shooter with decent handles. The fear is that the knee injury is going to quickly erode what remains of his lateral quickness, and he wont be able to d up ANYONE. He was already the worst rated defensive PG in the league last year, wasn't great before that, and is creeping up the wrong side of his peak.

The head thing doesn't bother me, until he brought the guns in, he was one of the most entertaining guys in hoop. "Quit watching me watching you watching me"
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 am

Going to quickly erode? What is this, 2008?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Gilbert arenas lateral quickness
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Spanish Chocolate went back to Europe.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/02/sergio-rodriguez-exits-nba-returns-to-spain/

Was following him as a high risk, low dollar signing for a PG.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA