Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Its Scott

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Its Scott

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I quit

samickFanHouse
Byron Scott's agent, Brian McInerney, e-mails FanHouse, denies Scott is in negotiations w/ Cavs: "Byron has not spoken to The Cavs today."

You've got to be shitting me.

This is all bush league psych-out stuff. Laughable mang.

Just want to point out the Lebowski ref's are appreciated. Wanted to make sure this was a known.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Blame the agents OJ, blame the agents.

Oh and the return of Gilbert The Impaler

Worst. Coaching. Search. Ever.

The Hawks got it done more professionally.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby CP » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Can only hope that Scott's agent is playing semantics...
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Dibs on the 'Its Chris Jent' thread.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby CP » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Windy just told Roda semi-off air that the agent's email to Amick was possibly "semantics".
CP

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:50 pm

^ and w/ that I am going to watch a movie and go to bed, eagerly awaiting the 4K articles about Russian Mark Cuban and LBJ meeting tonight.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Agreed as to the sources, but damn slow down on the, "I had it on Twitter first." I'm in let it play out mode. Obviously the worst coaching search I have ever witnessed.

Madre you might as well claim the Sampson thread too. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw was the coach tomorrow, maybe even Izzo.
Last edited by Orenthal on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Orenthal wrote:Just want to point out the Lebowski ref's are appreciated. Wanted to make sure this was a known.

Well, it's the only thing I can contribute. I don't know shit about basketball, so when it comes to stuff like this I just lurk and let the big boys talk.

But I love the Cavs. This is the 3rd time, and the 2nd in 2 days, that I've had to talk myself into a coach. And I'm getting fucking sick of it.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm

To be serious, if CB botched this and the Summit report in the same week he's in trouble. He never broke a ton of stories but is historically very accurate. Not a strong start to the off-season though.

BTW: five minutes after the report was on Twitter from CB it was on the front page of ESPN
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Just want to point out the Lebowski ref's are appreciated. Wanted to make sure this was a known.

Well, it's the only thing I can contribute. I don't know shit about basketball, so when it comes to stuff like this I just lurk and let the big boys talk.

But I love the Cavs. This is the 3rd time, and the 2nd in 2 days, that I've had to talk myself into a coach. And I'm getting fucking sick of it.

Pfft you can hang with content. This is the same thing for me with Shaw and Izzo. Got myself all "into" their potential. Just a feel. I just cannot get hyped about Scott. Don't know why, cause he is the logical #1 or 1A.
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Oh and the serious note to all of this is, no matter who is reporting what, we are running a worse coaching search than the Atlanta Hawks did and when Gilbert fired Ferry he told Ferry he could hire a big name coach and Ferry was an idiot.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:58 pm

Alright, well I feel better:

samickFanHouse: McInerney now admitting he spoke with Cavs GM Chris Grant today and agreed to re-open negotiations. Can't make this stuff up.

samickFanHouse: Says Scott has been in Arkansas all day and is unreachable. Literally trying to track him down at a restaurant to discuss.

Here is my final read:

This is all a cluster fuck because of Phil and us whacking our pudds yesterday. IMO, we didn't lock up Shaw quick enough yesterday and today he got a feeling he could get the Lake Show gig, Scott was late to the Lake Show party and started neg w/ the Cavs again and we're in a clusterfuck at this point, with Scott's agent not wanting to admit anything in case if "other" options show up.

But it's pretty clear this is not a done deal and we may end up w/ out any of our top three coaching choices.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby CP » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:59 pm

McInerney lucky Cavs desperate and that his guy will get a lot of jack and the gig at the end of the day. If Cavs would have called his bluff and told him to F off, Cavs would have looked bad but Scott would've had a new agent.
CP

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:59 pm

When it comes to sleeping I am an old man. Benjamin Franklin put that shit best! Horrible coaching search... Where is the PR control? Who here was calling Ferry a joke as GM? Seemed like a ightly run ship that at the very least was credible. Not a good startup for the Grant/Gilbert combo.
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Bingo, the PR from this "search" alone should be rolling heads.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 pm

On the plus side OJ, Cleveland was named one of four finalists for the 2012 Democratic Convention, so at least you can party w/ your ilk.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38029786
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby CP » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:07 pm

@samickFanHouse Says Scott has been in Arkansas all day and is unreachable. Literally trying to track him down at a restaurant to discuss.

Not stepping into eoy's Amick territory, but I had it up... How does Scott's agent lose track of him this week?
CP

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:09 pm

Scott was supposedly on his way to vacation (fishing in MI) when he had his informal sit down w/ Gilbert.

As I said, the whole lack of a formal interview w/ Scott and everything else is just weird.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:On the plus side OJ, Cleveland was named one of four finalists for the 2012 Democratic Convention, so at least you can party w/ your ilk.

Awesome find, and from my most trusted news source too! I know where I will be that week!

The shit coming outta Shaw, Cavalier, and Scott camp would be unreal if this wasn't Cleveland. By tomorrow we will have circled the wagons, told Shaw he has more time, and just when things are being reported to have opened up again, we will hire Jeff Van Gundy. If only...

Maybe this coaching search is going like this because they are going to make so many huge roster moves, Presti type moves, :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
Orenthal

Unread postby CP » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 pm

@Chris_Broussard: Scott and Cavs deep in negotiations. Hope to have agreement finalized by end of the night.
CP

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 pm

I just got whisper that LB could in fact be a reason that things are a bit effed up this week. Originally heard he was offered 33mil for 3 years, early in this coaching search. But been quiet since.

Even though LeBron has been totally quiet so far, if LB was able to get his hear and gain any insight as to 6's decision.....who knows. Would make sense why no trigger was pulled on Shaw if the LB door wasn't locked shut yet.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Crash Davis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Orenthal wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:On the plus side OJ, Cleveland was named one of four finalists for the 2012 Democratic Convention, so at least you can party w/ your ilk.

Awesome find, and from my most trusted news source too! I know where I will be that week!

The shit coming outta Shaw, Cavalier, and Scott camp would be unreal if this wasn't Cleveland. By tomorrow we will have circled the wagons, told Shaw he has more time, and just when things are being reported to have opened up again, we will hire Jeff Van Gundy. If only...

Maybe this coaching search is going like this because they are going to make so many huge roster moves, Presti type moves, :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

According to Sam Amick funhouse this is why the Cavs coaching search has been so F'd up the last 24 hours.

1. Scott has been contacted, and will take part in 3-way conf call with Cavs GM Chris Grant soon to begin negotiations, his agent says. 27 minutes ago via TweetDeck
2. Says Scott has been in Arkansas all day and is unreachable. Literally trying to track him down at a restaurant to discuss. about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck
3. McInerney now admitting he spoke with Cavs GM Chris Grant today and agreed to re-open negotiations. Can't make this stuff up. about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck
4. More from McInerney: "ESPN is wrong in its report." about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck
5. Byron Scott's agent, Brian McInerney, e-mails FanHouse, denies Scott is in negotiations w/ Cavs: "Byron has not spoken to The Cavs today." about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck
6. Ref: Stanley quote RT @SpearsNBAYahoo: Shaw...Wasn't comfortable taking job if offered b4 July 1 w/o knowing whether lebron would be there. about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck
7. Stanley: "They (the Cavs) need someone to be engaged in this process pretty quickly, and Brian wasn’t prepared for that." about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck
8. Despite opposite perception, Stanley says Cavs wanted 2 move quicker than Shaw... about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck
9. @BillBigD To wait and let LeBron pick? about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck in reply to BillBigD
10. Shaw & his agent were under the impression the job was theirs, but it appears Cavs were going to string them & Scott along in negotiations. about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck
11. Brian Shaw's agent, Jerome Stanley, tells FanHouse that he withdrew his name from consideration this afternoon. about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/samickFanHouse
Last edited by Crash Davis on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:56 pm

I knew there was a reason I stayed away all evening. This is a clusterfuck, but what do you expect. This is the worst job in the league if Lebron isnt here. Like e0y said earlier this year. Dog chasing tail.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby CP » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:44 am

samickFanHouse

Byron Scott and the Cavs have agreed to "essential terms, with details to be worked out throughout the night," according to his agent.

More from McInerney: “The presentation was very aggressive and didn’t require hours of negotiation.
CP

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:23 am

Geezes Crash, bother to even look at this thread before posting that? And you left off half of the prior 24 hours w/ that blurb.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby smalls1129 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Not sure if it really new news, but Andre Knott just had a blurb in between innings of the Indians game saying that Scott has agreed to become Cavs coach details after the game.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby Sol Solis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:52 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-bl ... ee_to.html

Cavs now have a new coach.

I'm kind of late to the party, but what exactly does Scott bring to the table? Is he a defensive or offensive minded coach?
Sol Solis

Favorite Player: King Louie
Least Favorite Player: Sheed

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Sol Solis wrote:http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/07/cavaliers_byron_scott_agree_to.html

I'm kind of late to the party, but what exactly does Scott bring to the table? Is he a defensive or offensive minded coach?

Very offensive minded and he's the kind of coach who will utilise our good 3 point shooting as he likes to teach perimeter shooting with the teams he coaches.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Sol Solis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Sol Solis wrote:http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/07/cavaliers_byron_scott_agree_to.html

Very offensive minded and he's the kind of coach who will utilise our good 3 point shooting as he likes to teach perimeter shooting with the teams he coaches.

Isn't this counterintuitive to what the Cavs were trying to bring in? I thought they wanted to go back to being defensive juggernauts?
Sol Solis

Favorite Player: King Louie
Least Favorite Player: Sheed

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:13 pm

we weren't last season?

OK we weren't as lock down on D like we were in 08-09 but really we won with our Defense. When it came to crunch time the team would clamp down force mistakes and bad shots then bring it home, unfortunately we ran into the only team that did it better, in the Celtics in round 2.

We were bemoaning the fact we didn't have a coach who knew offense now we sorta do and y'all want to revert back to a defensive head honcho.
We had Brown who was a guru when it came to D,
And we still have Hank Egan who is a fabulous defensive assistant(collegiately at least)
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:15 pm

Sol Solis wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:

Isn't this counterintuitive to what the Cavs were trying to bring in? I thought they wanted to go back to being defensive juggernauts?

Ferry and Brown are gone. There will be a new philosophy in place with a new coach and new GM/Gilbert Hand Puppet
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby krazylegz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:48 pm

love the move
krazylegz

Unread postby hornet84 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Is this a done deal ? Pardon the skeptism, but we have been down this road twice already. I would not take confirmation from Scott's agent as an official announcement. Until I see Lord Byron and, the little greaseball arm in arm on the podium, I won't believe it. I cannot wait until this thing is over.
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:59 pm

New avatar activated.

(Sorry Bayou)
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:09 pm

Cavs might as well hire Michael Scott if they don't sign LeBron.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:49 am

Worst coaching search ever? Nah. I don't go to church anymore, but I vaguely recall something about knowing a tree by its fruit. As long as they get the right signature on the contract the process is irrelevant. Some may want to deduct for style points, but in the end they got a guy with ten years experience who improved every team he coached. They didn't get the college coach who was intrigued but really didn't want an NBA job even at double the money, and they didn't get the assistant who never coached an NBA game in his life.

Anybody want to make the argument that the Cavs hired the wrong guy?

If they ended up with the most highly qualified coach who was willing to take the job, then it was a good search.

It's not complicated. The Cavs did what they had to do. They wanted Scott, but he was stalling in hopes of getting the Lakers job. The Cavs absolutely needed to hire a coach by July 1 for obvious reasons. LeBron is going to have a number of attractive offers, and no team can even compete without being able to tell him who the coach will be. So with Scott stonewalling, they had to negotiate with Shaw as a fall back. Shaw really wanted the job so a deal was in place quickly, resulting in some premature announcements. Fortunately, Phil announced he would return on July 1 and Scott signed with the Cavs the same day, jerking the rug out from under Shaw. The instant Scott was willing to commit to Cleveland, they signed him. They were not "indecisive".

The worst coaching search ever would have been if Phil retired, Scott signed with the Lakers, and the Cavs had to start from scratch on the same day LeBron was meeting with the Nets, Bulls, Knicks, et al. Gilbert would have been ripped to shreds, and deserved it.

So if you agree with Pluto that Scott was the best choice "by far", then quit bitching about the process. Maybe somebody ended up with egg on his face after getting faked out of his jock by an erroneous tweet, but it happens. No need to trash the Cavs over it.

The Cavs off season won't be judged by rumors and tweets. It will be judged on three criteria:

1. Did they get LeBron?
2. Did they get the most qualified head coach who was willing to come to Cleveland?
3. Did they make the best possible use of their mid-level exemption?

If the answers turn out to be yes, yes, and yes, then the rest is just distracting noise.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby diminishingskills » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:26 am

Prosecutor wrote:The Cavs off season won't be judged by rumors and tweets. It will be judged on four criteria:

1. Did they get LeBron?
2. Did they get the most qualified head coach who was willing to come to Cleveland?
3. Did they make the best possible use of their mid-level exemption?
4. Did they take advantage of the one asset they have -- tons of salary room, thanks to being well over the cap and having an owner who isn't afraid of the luxury tax -- and move some salaries in exchange for a star-level player?

If the answers turn out to be yes, yes, yes, and yes, then the rest is just distracting noise.

Fixed. Although #4 is probably the precursor to #1 happening.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:15 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Geezes Crash, bother to even look at this thread before posting that? And you left off half of the prior 24 hours w/ that blurb.

Was in response to Orenthal follow along. I provided a tweet (not mine) which I stated that gives reasons WHY the search was so F'D up in the 24 hours leading up to the selection of Scott not 24 hours of developments. Where does it say I was going to provide that? Maybe you need to read it again.

According to Sam Amick funhouse THIS is why the Cavs coaching search has been so F'd up the last 24 hours
Crash Davis

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Every single word of what you posted was already in this thread.

Every word of it.

Again, read the fucking thread.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Which is why I reposted to Orenthal. Its really simple if you read the ENTIRE thread. Follow along and I don't need to drop F' bombs to make it any clearer to you.
Crash Davis

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Dude, whatever, you didn't bother to read the thread and came in here to save the day.

Whatever, I was over it, no need to spin and keep on bumping.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OrangeElf » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Dude, whatever, you didn't bother to read the thread and came in here to save the day.

Whatever, I was over it, no need to spin and keep on bumping.

This board never ceases to amaze me. Now I remember why I left the CAVS section a few months ago. We now have people that read other peoples minds on here and can tell who read and saw what.
"On the Brown and Orange bandwagon since 1972 and never gettin' off"
OrangeElf

Favorite Player: Gene Hickerson
Least Favorite Player: Any in Black~n~Gold

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Fuck yourself.

Sincerely,

me
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Biggest note from the presser is simple, he's gonna run the Showtime O.

That's, well, fantastic. Especially since we don't have any sort of a half court center on the roster and the only half court center we have looked at is Brad "I'm Almost Dead" Miller.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:26 pm

just watched the presser.

what's needed to run the showtime offense? just curious.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Speed, athleticism (being in shape, which he actually just talked about) and LBJ.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Actually something bigger was just dropped, Roda asked about an out clause to coach the Lakers and Scott said there was none.

Grant talking about tomorrow now, I expect nothing of substance from here on out.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Paul Pressy is a real interesting LBJ style guy to have sitting in the first chair.

Maybe someone like Old can speak more on him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:41 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Speed, athleticism (being in shape, which he actually just talked about) and LBJ.

Does this suggest JJ is an integral player as soon as next season? A poor man's BGJ ?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA