Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Its Scott

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Its Scott

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:55 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Speed, athleticism (being in shape, which he actually just talked about) and LBJ.

Does this suggest JJ is an integral player as soon as next season? A poor man's BGJ ?
Exactly what I was wondering. He would seem to be a good fit, especially if you-know-who is here to find him in transition when not dunking himself.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Absolutely, as is Andy.

Our front court can be great in this system, although we still need a center that can ball w/ the big boys and I don't know how we are getting it.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:00 pm

Only if JJ gets them speeding tickets paid off! Or, maybe he is trying that hard to impress his ability on the new coach and FO.

I really have no idea how or why Crash responded to my post. His response isn't really anything my post called out... Not that I care, but anything that gets more venom out of Eye makes me happy.

:hide: <-shameless
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Absolutely, as is Andy.

Our front court can be great in this system, although we still need a center that can ball w/ the big boys and I don't know how we are getting it.

Shit, I know the answer to that one...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:11 pm

What? You don't see Z or Shaq fitting in the Showtime offense??

Actually, the system might be an easier way to justify dumping both those Cs and their salaries.

Agreed that Andy would be a good fit for that system as well. Probably an even better fit than Rambis and his geek glasses were back in the day.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Fuck yourself.

Sincerely,

me

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 pm

OldDawg wrote:

Actually, the system might be an easier way to justify dumping both those Cs and their salaries.

Agreed that Andy would be a good fit for that system as well. Probably an even better fit than Rambis and his geek glasses were back in the day.

You know who could play D and run in that system as a compliment to Andy (assuming he isn't overpaid, which w/ the money the bigs are currently getting is 50/50, depending on when the wells go dry)?

Haywood.

Z is dead and no longer in the league.

Shaq is a back-up.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:21 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
OldDawg wrote:

You know who could play D and run in that system as a compliment to Andy (assuming he isn't overpaid, which w/ the money the bigs are currently getting is 50/50, depending on when the wells go dry)?

Haywood.

Z is dead and no longer in the league.

Shaq is a back-up.

Forgive me if I am not up on Haywood. I think the only real center that creates real match-up problems is Howard. How would Haywood match up with Howard in the post?

I do think the "Showtime" offense is a good fit for the Cavs (minus the two Cs). However, at playoff time, history tells me that those up-tempo teams also have to win in half-court games. Hence the repeated failure of the Suns. We will need a C to address Howard in the half court. However, I am not sure other Cs in the league scare me nearly as much.
OldDawg

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Roda was discussing the idea of moving LBJ to the point in this offense, which I'm not sure would work or not.

please don't shoot the messenger.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Triple-S wrote:Roda was discussing the idea of moving LBJ to the point in this offense, which I'm not sure would work or not.

Do you remember that LBJs first year with the Cavs was at the point?

Bottom line is, I think if LBJ wanted to be the "point guard," he would have been. Heck, he brought the ball up 80% of the time anyways, so it is all semantics.
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Howard, Bynum, Brooke Lopez if the Nets get to the playoffs, etc...

All of these guys are huge and you at least need someone to lay on em.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:29 pm

OldDawg wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Roda was discussing the idea of moving LBJ to the point in this offense, which I'm not sure would work or not.

Bottom line is, I think if LBJ wanted to be the "point guard," he would have been. Heck, he brought the ball up 80% of the time anyways, so it is all semantics.

Do you know who the first chair coach I mentioned upthread is?

Hit Google if not.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Showtime when winning had Kareem when halfcourt offense was needed. They could run, and did, could go halfcourt, and did. They could really impose their will on offense.

IOW bring back Shaq...
Orenthal

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:30 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Howard, Bynum, Brooke Lopez if the Nets get to the playoffs, etc...

All of these guys are huge and you at least need someone to lay on em.

I agree, but none put the kind of fear into you as Howard does. Dude is one of the top three freaks on nature in the league (LBJ and Wade being the other two).
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:31 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
OldDawg wrote:

Do you know who the first chair coach I mentioned upthread is?

Hit Google if not.

Yes, the original "point forward"
OldDawg

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:31 pm

The OG-Mac of point forwards...

PUHLEZE on Brenda Haywood. We really need another quitter on the team. They guy NEVER shows up in big games/playoffs, and barely shows up in the regular season. No I didn't look at the stats, and if proven wrong in some rational fashion, will hide.
Orenthal

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Orenthal wrote:Showtime when winning had Kareem when halfcourt offense was needed. They could run, and did, could go halfcourt, and did. They could really impose their will on offense.

IOW bring back Shaq...

How do you think Shaq at Phoenix worked out?
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Haywood had a damn good year last year and I don't want him to be the man at center, I want him to be one half of our center split w/ Andy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:11 pm

THE ANSWER IS IN YOUR SIG, EYE.

/shows himself out
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 pm

OldDawg wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Showtime when winning had Kareem when halfcourt offense was needed. They could run, and did, could go halfcourt, and did. They could really impose their will on offense.

IOW bring back Shaq...

How do you think Shaq at Phoenix worked out?

Scarry how Nash and Williams both play horrible defense. Jamison and Amare for the most part are not good defenders. Parker and Jason Richardson are on no All-Defensive 4th teams...

The only difference is LeBron and defensive focus...

Shaq won't play second fiddle to Andy starting... Got ya on Haywood, just don't see him as the big body to back up Andy. Center position in FA is pretty nill...
Orenthal

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Why is the fact Phoenix didn't win the whole thing (and I am NOT getting into their ridiculous misfortune in the playoffs again) evidence that that style can't win in the playoffs? Well, they've gotten to the WCF several times. So they must be doing some winning.

But the main point I wanted to bring up is that they are the only team playing like that, so their failures are magnified and it appears to be an indictment of that approach. But why aren't the other 14 teams playing half court sets who don't advance all the way in the playoffs not ample evidence that approach doesn't work?

Secondary, of course, is the question of whether Phoenix has ever had the talent the teams that win it all have. Nash is a 2xMVP but only a fool would consider him in the category of Duncan, Kobe, Wade, KG. (FTR Nash's place in history is above that of Wade, but that is a result of Miami being putrid and Wade being injured)

Simply not enough data points for 7SSoL.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Look, aoxo, I have no issues w/ there being a lack of data points on SSOL, but here is the thing. Last year they had to rely on that gimmick ass zone to even push the Lake Show and that isn't something that is going to work year in and year out. They have never had to play the Celtics or Magic in the playoffs. I don't want to be a half court set team, but I also don't want to be lacking a big body to lay on guys. Haywood is a very good defensive center that can run, hence why he is my target.

I would hate to be in a position where the Cavs were praying a team couldn't figure out a freaking zone to be in a playoff series.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:44 am

I simply believe that in the playoffs, teams can (and do) make uptempo teams slow the game down. There is increased preparation in the playoffs, there is more focus in the playoffs, there is clearly more physicality in the playoffs. If you remember the LakeShow offense vs the Celtics in that era, those teams beat the crap out of each other. If there was a layup to be found, you found yourself in row 7 after being hammered.

I am not sure I am saying that "that style" can't be effective in the playoffs. What I am saying is that in the playoffs it seams uptempo teams get slowed down and it becomes a physical war. Uptempo teams need to be able to play a half court game as well.
OldDawg

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:24 am

Orenthal wrote:The OG-Mac of point forwards...

PUHLEZE on Brenda Haywood. We really need another quitter on the team. They guy NEVER shows up in big games/playoffs, and barely shows up in the regular season. No I didn't look at the stats, and if proven wrong in some rational fashion, will hide.

LMAO

:lmfao:
jb

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:30 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Z is dead and no longer in the league.

Shaq is a back-up.

They are with Sasha in the organization.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm now 100% convinced that even if it was an accident (which it was) Scott was the best guy to hire in terms of getting LBJ to resign.

This has nothing to do w/ predicting on the court success and everything to do w/ him playing that home town title card and just ranting and raving about LBJ going Magic in the Show Time offense (and Chris Paul being in his court doesn't hurt).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:11 pm

JB the way these guys bring up their advanced stats and extrapolate one free agent season... I just cannot go 20 post debate on the fact Haywood is soft, or at best faux-tough, and a quitter that lost playing time to Damps. Damps being the ultimate under achieving center of his time.

Then again if I was honest about Shaq, and I am not, I would say with the lack of available talent it wouldn't be a horrible sigining depending on dollars and years.
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:13 pm

I was not a Scott fan, but that presser is beginning to change my mind. Not a whole lot of coach speak. He kept it real, real. Polar opposite of Chris Grant who is quickly becoming my most hated man in the org.
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Orenthal wrote:I was not a Scott fan, but that presser is beginning to change my mind. Not a whole lot of coach speak. He kept it real, real. Polar opposite of Chris Grant who is quickly becoming my most hated man in the org.

I'm pretty sure Gilbert literally hands Grant a sheet to read off of before each presser.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:02 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Orenthal wrote:I was not a Scott fan, but that presser is beginning to change my mind. Not a whole lot of coach speak. He kept it real, real. Polar opposite of Chris Grant who is quickly becoming my most hated man in the org.

I'm pretty sure Gilbert literally hands Grant a sheet to read off of before each presser.

The issue is that in his very short time here where nothing has happened, Grant has had the look of a man who has done quite a bit. He comes across as smug, even if he may not be, and he has the look of a guy in the Shapiro mold who likes to play, "I Know a Secret".

I agree with 'O'. The guy hasn't really done anything to make me dislike him. But it's working really well.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:17 pm

This may be the biggest "no shit" statement today, but Grant is the ultimate corporate stuffed shirt. All buzzword and smug. In a town fresh off or still with Crennel, Mike Brown, Eric Wedge, Shapiro, Dolan's, and Lerner this guy makes me want to take the bridge.

Anyhow on Scott figure I will link the presser just in case anyone wants to watch the few minutes of Grant being...
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/video/2010/07/02/scott100702-1364441/index.html
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Also Grant get a freaking suit that fits. You are downtown try hitting Jay Vee's or Joseph Scafidi. You have enough money to be custom fit.

Here is the link in case you don't know what I'm talking about.
http://www.scafiditailors.com/

Got me some nice custom shirts at Jay Vee's. Then the guy started telling me about George Forbes buying 15 shirts at a time. I told him, I need some of George Forbes money.
Orenthal

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA