Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Windhorst Nails Last Nights Debacle

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Windhorst Nails Last Nights Debacle

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:43 am

The Cavs play calling out of timeouts, and plays called late in games in must have basket situations has been as bad as I've ever seen, on any level of basketball.

I'm starting to worry about this Cavs team and their "turn it on, turn it off" mentality to games. This was a must win last night, before a packed house. 1st 3 quarters, the team was lackadaisical, settling for jumpers, and making mental mistakes.

They turned it on late, thanks to great defense and superb foul shooting (once again) ... but then just fell apart starting with 5.3 seconds left in regulation.

A series with the Heat in the 1st rd, with the Pistons waiting in rd 2 ... is clearly worrisome.

http://blogs.ohio.com/cavaliers_blog/

A Cavs-Heat playoff series would surely pack an awful lot of drama (sounds like a TNT plug, I know). Too bad for the Cavs they: 1. Can't seem to beat the Heat in dramatic games. 2. Can't seem to beat the Heat in Miami. 3. Can't seem to avoid facing them in the first round.

Some bytes on the 94-90 loss in OT to Miami...

--The NBA season is never about one game. It is about trends and shifts and general focus. Yes, the Cavs lost a game Thursday. But it is part of a terrible 10-game package, where they have lost six. It is this spurt that will probably cost them the No. 2 seed, not an individual game or possession.

--That said, I find it impossible to excuse LeBron James' decision-making with the final shot of regulation. When he got the ball, Pat Riley screamed for Jason Williams to go double-team him, but Williams had to run 25 feet to get there everyone in the gym saw it coming. I have never been in the spot James was in, but I would assume he would either start moving toward the basket to split the double or pass in the direction of the double to catch the Heat in rotation. Instead, he did the worst possible thing, he stood still and dribbled.

--This sort of freeze happened to LeBron at the end of the game in Charlotte as well. It was just as hard for me to explain it then, too. But what I can say is this, he is 0-of-10 on 3-pointers this season to win or tie games. There is no avoiding this stat. And he's going to take plenty of heat about it. He won the game against the Bulls with some great plays and was at the top of his game in Minnie. But these finishes are a hole in his game right now and a high-profile one at that.

--While LeBron has to make a better decision, there's got to be better preparation coming out of the timeouts. There's got to be more options. I'm not in the timeouts, in fact the Cavs have pushed the media so far away from the bench, I can't even see who's talking in timeouts. I don't know what is said or drawn up, but something has to improve there. Mike Brown is an excellent defensive coach and he's won 60 percent of his games, but this season he's failing on these plays. The Cavs were 0-for-4 in side out of bounds plays down the stretch and none of them came close to working. Surely, Mike can't make the shots or set the picks for the guys, but he can put them in a better position to succeed. I think I remember there was a stat on 82games.com last year that had the Cavs last in efficiency coming out of timeouts. But I can't find it now, so I'm not 100 percent sure.

--After the game, Brown passed the buck to James, telling the media they'd have to ask LeBron what happened. On everything else, he said he needed to look at film. LeBron, his feet in a bucket of ice and his knee wrapped, looked as down as I've seen him this season. He said: "I just try to be aggressive and try to get the best shot up possible." Only, he wasn't and he didn't and it wasn't close. And he knew it.

--It is hard for me to call the Cavs and James terrible in the clutch. In this game they were 17-of-17 at the foul line in the fourth quarter. They couldn't make a shot (11-of-49 shooting in the second half) and they had all sorts of trouble with Shaq, yet there nearly won the game win some tight defense and willingness to drive down the stretch. But they didn't finish it off, they haven't been finishing them off.

--Looking back at this game and the Chicago game, to go 1-1 isn't bad the way things went down. But to lose in New York, to lose in Boston, to lose in Charlotte with a big lead late, these are the games that have cost them their lead on Chicago. Plus the Cavs have lost three of four at home, and there's no excuse. This is what I mean by looking at things with perspective.

--The difference between being the No. 2 seed and No. 5 seed is massive. Not only would the Cavs maybe be on the same side of the bracket as the Heat and Pistons, but would be an underdog in that opening series. They've never won in Miami since Dwyane Wade arrived and this season they are 0-3 against the Heat in games decided by five points or less. That doesn't seem too promising, does it?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:45 am

I'm thinking they will lose in the 1st round.
I have been on the bandwagon and I'm about to fall off
They look lost too much, and that's everyone, not just certain players.

Damn I hope I'm wrong.

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:30 am

1. The Cavs are now on thier fourth consecutive coach that has no idea how to design an inbounds play. I wonder how many points the Cavs are down plus/minus in these such situations in the last seven years or so. Coach Luke, Silas. Horrible.

2. If I were Mike Brown I wouldn't publicly defer to the King. That might hasten the exit. Especially when he's residing in that glass house.

3. The whole "turning it on, turning it off" as it relates to the Cavs. I think this applies to Lebron. The rest of the team isn't really able to turn it on. They just aren't all that good. I've argued this point with a few guys the past couple months, I still see this as a one man show.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:07 pm

The problem is nobody gave LeBron the game winner. We gave him the team, we gave him the jack, we gave him the keys to the city, we gave him the castle (bowling alley included), we gave him the whipping boy coach (which lets be honest, isn’t LeBron really the coach?) we gave him our love and support, and I could go on and on but you get my point. I am a HUGE Cleveland supporter, but when it comes to giving a child everything it only produces a spoiled brat... which is what we got. Maybe firing Brown and a 1st round playoff loss is just what we need. Nothing like that sharp dose of reality. I just hope it doesn’t come in the form of a knee jerk reaction and starting all over. Maybe this off-season we will actually address the teams depth instead of signing Wesley, Pollard, and the Sister's of the poor. All the way around the organization is to be held accountable but they just can’t seem to find that game winner to GIVE LeBron.
Wolfy

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:17 pm

Something has to be done to light a fire under this team heading into the playoffs, I think they are spoiled from making it last year, last year at this time we were hot and making the playoffs was the "Big Deal" but now we made it and won a round so we're expected to be there, there doesn't seem to b the same excitement down the stretch. We need someone to get the team excited about these final games *cough* Mike Brown, because the difference between 2 and 5 is obviously huge and it should be pounded home on this team as almost a desperation. Mike brown needs a serious lesson in drawing up plays out of timeouts, I couldn't believe that all he had was give lebron the ball and chuck up a 3 ball in a double team. All I know as a 2 seed we have a legitimate shot at taking the East, but on the Flip side we have just as good, if not better shot at getting the 5 and losing to Miami...SOmebody should tell these guys that.
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:30 pm

One good thing about losing in the first round is this: Mike Brown gets canned and we get a real coach in here.

Brown has had a lot to do with some of the bad game the Cavs have played this year. By my count, we could have anywhere from 3-5 more wins with a coach who's not as inept or adamant about his rotations. Imagine if the Cavs had dumped Snow out of the starting lineup earlier?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:45 pm

As far as giving Lebron the game winner, again this came up last year and than he started rattling them off. He's doing all he can at the end of games with zero help. He's no different as far as being enabled as any guy in the league.

Also, a point about end game play that some fans and media like to harp on, especially with Lebron due to the fact he's such a good passer. That is, the whole "Lebron has to take that last shot" after games in which he would pass the ball to a wide open man in the last ten seconds only to have the guy clank the shot. Jordan deferred to Kerr, Duncan Deferred to Kerr, Jordan again deferring to Paxson, Olajuwon, Kobe and Shaq deferring to big shot Rob. All these times were for NBA chamionships, or at the very least games in the NBA championship series. If the guy throwns a great pass to a WIDE open teammate, isn't that good basketball. Then some 4 foot 6 schmuck newscaster on channel whatever says he would like to see Lebron shoot instead of pass, as if these other games never existed.

Lastly, Mr. Mac, not only did they wait till February to get the worst starting NBA player in the league out of the game, they waited three years to get Pavlovic the hell in there, behind the likes of legendary scrubs like Uri Welsch and Ira Newble. Where would they be without him this year? A better question might be where would they be if this guy was an expirienced third fourth year player instead of a rookie?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:As far as giving Lebron the game winner, again this came up last year and than he started rattling them off. He's doing all he can at the end of games with zero help. He's no different as far as being enabled as any guy in the league.

Enabled? No Different? I think you messed that last line up. Ira, Snow, Wesley, Pollard, Jones, Marshall, and even Z most games are of no help (enable) at all. Matter of fact that list sounds like a group of guy’s ready to get in a game at your local YMCA not NBA. These guy's should be out of the league or at the very least sprinkled around the NBA and not all on the same roster. Doesn’t Wade have a slew of players to give him help/enable? Doesn’t T.D. have a slew of players to help/enable? Doesn’t Dirk have a plethora of talent around him to help/enable? Don’t the Pistons have one half the all-star team as the starting lineup not to mention a few guys off the bench (one formerly of the Cavs)? What about the Suns? Or even the Rockets? You want to be the KING? BE IT! Your kingship is not given it is by commanding it! Oh, let me feel bad for the KING and all his castle’s…screw that, take the shot…and when you miss or the pass is turned over (last night) I will be pissed off with the rest of us peasant’s. I love C-town and LBJ but damn I hate this snot nosed little kid’s (LBJ) attitude.

[/quote]Also, a point about end game play that some fans and media like to harp on, especially with Lebron due to the fact he's such a good passer. That is, the whole "Lebron has to take that last shot" after games in which he would pass the ball to a wide open man in the last ten seconds only to have the guy clank the shot. Jordan deferred to Kerr, Duncan Deferred to Kerr, Jordan again deferring to Paxson, Olajuwon, Kobe and Shaq deferring to big shot Rob. All these times were for NBA chamionships, or at the very least games in the NBA championship series. If the guy throwns a great pass to a WIDE open teammate, isn't that good basketball. Then some 4 foot 6 schmuck newscaster on channel whatever says he would like to see Lebron shoot instead of pass, as if these other games never existed.[/quote]

Good point, all except the fact that LeBron is 0-11 in last second shots this year. Didn’t he turn the ball over on the last shot last night? Oh, and don’t you have to actually get the ball rolling before 1-3 seconds is left on the clock? The guy is stuck in the mud at the end of games and looks like he doesn’t have a clue. He lets the clock wind down to nothing and is in complete panic mode with about 1 or 2 seconds left. If he did get a pass off it wouldn’t be enough time for Mark Price, Ehlo, Kerr, Paxon, Big shot Bob or even the guy who walks on water to shoot and make it.
Wolfy

Unread postby DarNoor » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 pm

Anyone watching the game tonight? This team is downright awful. The Wizards have lost their two best players, and the Cavs can't even give them a game. With the Tribe game being a total bust, and now the Cavs playing like a buch of 5th graders, this has got to be the worst Cleveland sports day of the year.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:43 pm

I've felt all along that the Cavaliers need to have a quick exit in hte playoffs to get this FO to make the necessary shakeup this team needs on the roster, and to start getting pressure from the fans.

Of course, I am not rooting for this, as I will be pulling for them to win every game this postseason....but I think this team, the FO, and fans need a wakeup call with this team. Unfortunately, the ONLY way I believe that will be achieved is with an early playoff exit.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:06 am

Wolfy wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:As far as giving Lebron the game winner, again this came up last year and than he started rattling them off. He's doing all he can at the end of games with zero help. He's no different as far as being enabled as any guy in the league.

Enabled? No Different? I think you messed that last line up. Ira, Snow, Wesley, Pollard, Jones, Marshall, and even Z most games are of no help (enable) at all. Matter of fact that list sounds like a group of guy’s ready to get in a game at your local YMCA not NBA. These guy's should be out of the league or at the very least sprinkled around the NBA and not all on the same roster. Doesn’t Wade have a slew of players to give him help/enable? Doesn’t T.D. have a slew of players to help/enable? Doesn’t Dirk have a plethora of talent around him to help/enable? Don’t the Pistons have one half the all-star team as the starting lineup not to mention a few guys off the bench (one formerly of the Cavs)? What about the Suns? Or even the Rockets? You want to be the KING? BE IT! Your kingship is not given it is by commanding it! Oh, let me feel bad for the KING and all his castle’s…screw that, take the shot…and when you miss or the pass is turned over (last night) I will be pissed off with the rest of us peasant’s. I love C-town and LBJ but damn I hate this snot nosed little kid’s (LBJ) attitude.

Also, a point about end game play that some fans and media like to harp on, especially with Lebron due to the fact he's such a good passer. That is, the whole "Lebron has to take that last shot" after games in which he would pass the ball to a wide open man in the last ten seconds only to have the guy clank the shot. Jordan deferred to Kerr, Duncan Deferred to Kerr, Jordan again deferring to Paxson, Olajuwon, Kobe and Shaq deferring to big shot Rob. All these times were for NBA chamionships, or at the very least games in the NBA championship series. If the guy throwns a great pass to a WIDE open teammate, isn't that good basketball. Then some 4 foot 6 schmuck newscaster on channel whatever says he would like to see Lebron shoot instead of pass, as if these other games never existed.[/quote]

Good point, all except the fact that LeBron is 0-11 in last second shots this year. Didn’t he turn the ball over on the last shot last night? Oh, and don’t you have to actually get the ball rolling before 1-3 seconds is left on the clock? The guy is stuck in the mud at the end of games and looks like he doesn’t have a clue. He lets the clock wind down to nothing and is in complete panic mode with about 1 or 2 seconds left. If he did get a pass off it wouldn’t be enough time for Mark Price, Ehlo, Kerr, Paxon, Big shot Bob or even the guy who walks on water to shoot and make it.
[/quote]

So, Wolfy, we agree that Lebron has no help. We disagree to what degree the onus is on Lebron. Hardly grounds for a condescending response to my post, but if that's the route you want to go, what am I gonna do about it. All I'll say is this in reference to Lebron's end game play.

A. The whole team stinks after time-outs and dead ball situtions. 0-4 when it mattered most last night. This might be because they don't seem to be able to call any plays, lack of options or Lebron. The fact that other teams murder the Cavs in this respect each and every game leads me to believe they are ill prepared.

B. As it relates to A, it would be nice if Lebron was coming off a double screen or SOMETHING. The Cavs usual play is to get lob the ball to Lebron just short of mid-court and have him start from scratch, while four medocre players just kinda stand around. There is never a good option B.

C. In a few years, in another city, with an organization with a coach and some complimentary talent the guy will be winning big games. And, he'll seem to be a lot smarter to the general public, when in actuality he would be smarter now if someone would lend him a hand occasionaly. (ask yourself, when is the last time Lebron James had an easy bucket that he didn't create himself?) How bout last Sunday when they make LEBRON inbound the ball with 3 seconds left on the shot clock. Was the plan there to get it back to him with one second on the clock for an off balance 27 footer, because if it was, it worked.

D. Lebron's end game play could have a facet that many big names didn't have, because he is such a good passer. It's not his fault that his whole rookie season Drew Gooden was taking each of Lebron's passes off his nose. It's also not his fault that the "Greatest shooter in the world" can't shoot.

I've asked nobody to feel bad for the guy. When you are the man you get the criticism with the glory. The guy could use and would appreciate some help. That's all.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:37 am

I've felt all along that the Cavaliers need to have a quick exit in hte playoffs to get this FO to make the necessary shakeup this team needs on the roster, and to start getting pressure from the fans.

FO is mired in horrid contracts and cannot make any moves. No one is going to take Hughes, Ilguaskas, Snow, or Jones with their current contracts. THey couldnt give any of them away for free. The Cavs are like those banks that wrote alot of bad mortgage paper during the housing boom and are now watching them fall into foreclosure by the ton.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:05 am

FO is mired in horrid contracts and cannot make any moves. No one is going to take Hughes, Ilguaskas, Snow, or Jones with their current contracts. THey couldnt give any of them away for free. The Cavs are like those banks that wrote alot of bad mortgage paper during the housing boom and are now watching them fall into foreclosure by the ton.

Anyone got Jim Paxson's phone number? He could pawn these dudes off.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:34 pm

Furls wrote:

This is true. This team is going to be the same 3 years from now. Anyone who thinks Lebron is staying for that is crazy.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA