Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Official LBJ FA Thread

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Official LBJ FA Thread

Unread postby waborat » Tue May 25, 2010 5:41 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:That's cold blooded, Peeks. :)

Im really glad I checked in prior to July 1st too, just to see East Slime get booted to the curb. Wont be missed.

Unfortunately, my mulla was on ES being let go before Roker...

FML
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:They should bring LBJ in for a visit while Brown is interviewing for the job at one desk and D West has Gloria bent over the other one. :hide:

How dare you say such filth about the woman that expelled THE KING from her gold lined uterus. THE KING will have you drawn and quatered for this insult. We'll see how you like to study your own guts before death takes you.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby waborat » Thu May 27, 2010 8:16 pm

So Kingie, Wade, Bosh & JJ are gonna palaver together...

Collusion?

SuperTeam?

Barber Shop Quartet?

Your Thoughts???
waborat

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri May 28, 2010 8:07 am

waborat wrote:So Kingie, Wade, Bosh & JJ are gonna palaver together...

Collusion?

SuperTeam?

Barber Shop Quartet?

Your Thoughts???

Unless we're talking Pay Cut City, nobody has that much money.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby papacass » Fri May 28, 2010 10:31 am

D-Wade needs to keep his trap shut. Ever since LeBron put his gag order on free agency talk back in November, Wade has been the only superstar openly flirting with the possibility of hooking up with another superstar(s). Bosh had his Twitter remarks, but Wade has been at this all season.

It's probably a byproduct of his frustration with Heat management, but who on Earth made him the spokesman for LBJ, Bosh and Joe Johnson? I don't doubt that those guys will (and have been) discussing various scenarios where they could hook up somewhere.

But IMO Wade is assuming things that might not be true across the board. It's like Wade is saying "Oh, don't worry, basketball fans. We're all on the same page, and we're going to exhaust every possible avenue of signing with the same team (ahem, Heat?) before we go back to our respective corners. We're going to try to make that superteam happen."

Whereas LeBron might not necessarily be in a "Wade or bust" mindset, because I don't think he's as desperate as Wade.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby jb » Fri May 28, 2010 10:52 am

waborat wrote:So Kingie, Wade, Bosh & JJ are gonna palaver together...

Collusion?

SuperTeam?

Barber Shop Quartet?

Your Thoughts???

(Gonna have to have a few sets of wondertwins to make cap. Maybe like Luke Jackson and Luke Ridenour?)
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 pm

papacass wrote:D-Wade needs to keep his trap shut. Ever since LeBron put his gag order on free agency talk back in November, Wade has been the only superstar openly flirting with the possibility of hooking up with another superstar(s). Bosh had his Twitter remarks, but Wade has been at this all season.

It's probably a byproduct of his frustration with Heat management, but who on Earth made him the spokesman for LBJ, Bosh and Joe Johnson? I don't doubt that those guys will (and have been) discussing various scenarios where they could hook up somewhere.

Not just Heat management. Check the free agency headlines and who keeps getting mentioned by guys like Michael Bloomberg and Barack Obama. Hint, its not the guy with the ring and MVP credentials. D-Wade's become a footnote again, and he's been bitching about that role since 2003.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat May 29, 2010 11:00 am

Solid SI article on how James should be handling his business. Jordan's agent weighs in and makes some legitimate points on how all this is going down. He's also 100% correct about LBJ playing in the Windy City. No way that happens in my mind..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_hughes/05/28/jordan/
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby jb » Sat May 29, 2010 11:01 am

Sheeeeit. The tampering is a JOKE. All it does is line Stern's BBQ fund.

When he leaves, I want me some GD draft choices from the team that signs him that opened up bean pie hole.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:15 pm

jb wrote:Sheeeeit. The tampering is a JOKE. All it does is line Stern's BBQ fund.

When he leaves, I want me some GD draft choices from the team that signs him that opened up bean pie hole.

SD:

Remember when Bill Russel was a players coach .

Guy called in and made the suggestion on talk radio Gilbert
could pay Lebron as coach and player and which leaves enough cap room to sign that extra free agent since coaches don't have a cap .

""""Its clearly circumventing the spirit of the rules """"""

Signed Carmen Policy .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby tired » Sat May 29, 2010 1:24 pm

That would be awesome. Oh man, I can hear/see nba nation go on a frinzy !!!
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat May 29, 2010 6:32 pm

jack_tors wrote:Solid SI article on how James should be handling his business. Jordan's agent weighs in and makes some legitimate points on how all this is going down. He's also 100% correct about LBJ playing in the Windy City. No way that happens in my mind..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_hughes/05/28/jordan/

Falk's about as smart as they come, so I'll translate what he's saying between the lines: "This isn't about finding the right team as it is spotlight whoring." Not that any of us didn't know that already.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat May 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Also I think Falk hits on something that is being missed elsewhere. If winning really is number 1 then Cleveland is still the place or at worst 1a. The Cavaliers will do anything to keep winning, and James will have huge input. I don't think that will be the same if he goes to another team. Surely he will have a say, but nothing like here in Cleveland.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 30, 2010 12:18 am

IMO a reasonable amount of silence and a period of waiting is the best thing for LeBron. It will definitely help avoid a rash decision for himself and the franchise.

Also I think it is time LeBron separates the off court LeBron and on court LeBron in his off season work. The on court LeBron needs to refocus on parts of his game and IMO reevaluate his approach to offense, mainly how he dominates the ball so much (arguably too much which in the end might be more of a hindrance to the team and his own game). I've read recently that it is estimated he has the ball in his hand 70% of the time on offense. While not surprising, it is an jaw dropping number if you never think about it in those terms.

While the off court LeBron needs to dabble in his off season dreams IN THE OFF SEASON.

During this young off season I am starting to appreciate outsiders perspective that LeBron is overrated, in the sense of his complete offensive game and the approach he takes toward offense. He is capable of doing anything on the court, but his domination is really almost exclusively physical and much less mental as so many of use have loved to believe all along.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun May 30, 2010 12:31 am

Orenthal wrote:Also I think Falk hits on something that is being missed elsewhere. If winning really is number 1 then Cleveland is still the place or at worst 1a. The Cavaliers will do anything to keep winning, and James will have huge input. I don't think that will be the same if he goes to another team. Surely he will have a say, but nothing like here in Cleveland.

My only question is how can the Cavs can improve any further even if LeBron comes back? I'm not really familiar with their finnacial situation, but from what i've heard they're already over the cap. I'm just not sure what other parts can be brought in via trades or FA.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:43 am

FUDU wrote:IMO a reasonable amount of silence and a period of waiting is the best thing for LeBron. It will definitely help avoid a rash decision for himself and the franchise.

Also I think it is time LeBron separates the off court LeBron and on court LeBron in his off season work. The on court LeBron needs to refocus on parts of his game and IMO reevaluate his approach to offense, mainly how he dominates the ball so much (arguably too much which in the end might be more of a hindrance to the team and his own game). I've read recently that it is estimated he has the ball in his hand 70% of the time on offense. While not surprising, it is an jaw dropping number if you never think about it in those terms.

While the off court LeBron needs to dabble in his off season dreams IN THE OFF SEASON.

During this young off season I am starting to appreciate outsiders perspective that LeBron is overrated, in the sense of his complete offensive game and the approach he takes toward offense. He is capable of doing anything on the court, but his domination is really almost exclusively physical and much less mental as so many of use have loved to believe all along.

LeBron's selfishness is more hidden than but just as destructive as the classic case, ala Kobe during his moments. Just because he passes and creates easy shots, though, doesn't mean he isn't doing just as much if not more to disrupt and destroy the Cavs' offense. Getting the perfect, difficult, beautiful assist seems more noble than hitting the perfect, difficult, beautiful shot. But when the obsession with achieving either results in a complete isolation on the court from one's teammates, other than as a vehicle to lay the ball into the basket in the former case, and a near total detachment from the offense... well, you have a player who is more concerned with proving how great he is than winning, and that means a player who doesn't fully grasp what greatness is about. The assist is the end for LeBron, when it should be part of the means.

A selfish passer. Undoubtedly the rarest of NBA creatures.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 30, 2010 10:57 am

Can't really disagree aoxo. His need to dominate the ball is really becoming a sore spot with me, especially when it results in him just holding it at the arc (doing nothing but surveying) for 5 seconds allowing the shot clock to dictate the how the possession ends. To be honest thinking back, I am shocked we have not seen a few 5 second calls on LeBron, a few more than any of the top notch players like a Jordan, Kobe, Wade ever got, b/c let's face it that call is never made (with LBJ it could be made).

As said many times in the past few years, his tendency to do just that allows the defense to gather itself and it negates a large part of the advantage LeBron has.

FUDU

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun May 30, 2010 11:48 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Also I think Falk hits on something that is being missed elsewhere. If winning really is number 1 then Cleveland is still the place or at worst 1a. The Cavaliers will do anything to keep winning, and James will have huge input. I don't think that will be the same if he goes to another team. Surely he will have a say, but nothing like here in Cleveland.

My only question is how can the Cavs can improve any further even if LeBron comes back? I'm not really familiar with their finnacial situation, but from what i've heard they're already over the cap. I'm just not sure what other parts can be brought in via trades or FA.

The same way we landed O'Neal, Williams, and Jamo. There will be teams wanting to cut salary, and the Cavaliers would be willing to take money, or extra years. Whether those players pan out, what we gave up for them was always less talent wise.

Of course the one pet-peev of this is many times draft picks muct be included creating a lack of young talent. West, Parker, Telafir, and Powe are all ending deals.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Sol Solis » Sun May 30, 2010 1:54 pm

FUDU wrote:Can't really disagree aoxo. His need to dominate the ball is really becoming a sore spot with me, especially when it results in him just holding it at the arc (doing nothing but surveying) for 5 seconds allowing the shot clock to dictate the how the possession ends. To be honest thinking back, I am shocked we have not seen a few 5 second calls on LeBron, a few more than any of the top notch players like a Jordan, Kobe, Wade ever got, b/c let's face it that call is never made (with LBJ it could be made).

As said many times in the past few years, his tendency to do just that allows the defense to gather itself and it negates a large part of the advantage LeBron has.

The reason the 5-second call is not called on LeBron (or any other star player) is that the rule does not exist in the NBA. It's a FIBA, NCAA, and High school rule only.
Sol Solis

Favorite Player: King Louie
Least Favorite Player: Sheed

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun May 30, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm only familiar with the 5-second back to the basket rule. LeBron has been called for that on occasion.
Orenthal

Unread postby papacass » Sun May 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:My only question is how can the Cavs can improve any further even if LeBron comes back? I'm not really familiar with their finnacial situation, but from what i've heard they're already over the cap. I'm just not sure what other parts can be brought in via trades or FA.

Windhorst just addressed this exact issue in his story on Danny Ferry's future in Sunday's PD.

Apparently one of the main hot-button issues of the post-mortem meetings with Gilbert and Ferry was the type of players Ferry has been bringing in with Gilbert's money. In their rush to amass championship-level talent, Ferry and his staff brought in a lot of guys who can score, but lack defensively.

The result has been an increasingly-quick regression at the defensive end of the floor. What you might see this summer, LBJ or no LBJ, is some of the offensive firepower traded off for guys who can D up.

There are always teams out there who think they need to score more, so I think there would be a market out there for Mo Williams or Antawn Jamison -- particularly if you're talking about borderline-playoff teams that want to get a known name and drum up some ticket sales. Hickson and Varejao would also attract interest, though I would be hesitant to move either unless it was in a blockbuster.

I think the tentative go-forward plan for the Cavs is to get back to some of the principles that led to the team's upswing in 2006 and '07. Things they got away from the past couple of years. It doesn't mean Larry Hughes is coming back, but it does mean that next year's team might play more like those teams did. Less flash, more substance.
papacass

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:18 pm

papacass wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:My only question is how can the Cavs can improve any further even if LeBron comes back? I'm not really familiar with their finnacial situation, but from what i've heard they're already over the cap. I'm just not sure what other parts can be brought in via trades or FA.

Windhorst just addressed this exact issue in his story on Danny Ferry's future in Sunday's PD.

Apparently one of the main hot-button issues of the post-mortem meetings with Gilbert and Ferry was the type of players Ferry has been bringing in with Gilbert's money. In their rush to amass championship-level talent, Ferry and his staff brought in a lot of guys who can score, but lack defensively.

The result has been an increasingly-quick regression at the defensive end of the floor. What you might see this summer, LBJ or no LBJ, is some of the offensive firepower traded off for guys who can D up.

There are always teams out there who think they need to score more, so I think there would be a market out there for Mo Williams or Antawn Jamison -- particularly if you're talking about borderline-playoff teams that want to get a known name and drum up some ticket sales. Hickson and Varejao would also attract interest, though I would be hesitant to move either unless it was in a blockbuster.

I think the tentative go-forward plan for the Cavs is to get back to some of the principles that led to the team's upswing in 2006 and '07. Things they got away from the past couple of years. It doesn't mean Larry Hughes is coming back, but it does mean that next year's team might play more like those teams did. Less flash, more substance.

Do you agree with that strategy, Cass, or do you still subscribe to the run 'n gun offense you talked about before? I'm all for returning to the defensive form that made teams "feel them." But to be an elite halfcourt team, they need to move beyond the dinosaur offensive sets that's been established.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby Sol Solis » Sun May 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Seems to me that the Run and Gun teams that don't play defense get regular season wins but not playoff ones. I think that if the Cavs were to solely move in that direction it would be for the worse. Defense seems to be the key to winning playoff series and I would love if they started moving back in that direction.

That being said, I liked this past years Cavs (other than the aforementioned lack of defense) is that they were able to play all different styles. Their lack of defense at key positions like PG and PF really hurt them. Trading Mo and Antawn to alleviate this would surely be a nice shot in the arm.
Sol Solis

Favorite Player: King Louie
Least Favorite Player: Sheed

Unread postby papacass » Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 am

metalhead9x9 wrote:Do you agree with that strategy, Cass, or do you still subscribe to the run 'n gun offense you talked about before? I'm all for returning to the defensive form that made teams "feel them." But to be an elite halfcourt team, they need to move beyond the dinosaur offensive sets that's been established.

I still think the correct future is uptempo, just because I think that's the best way to utilize LeBron -- and by extenstion, get him to commit here. But Gilbert and Ferry might be looking at the overachievements of several years ago versus the underachievements of the past couple of years, and believe that the best plan of action is to try and get closer to the mindset and makeup of the teams of several years ago.
papacass

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon May 31, 2010 2:45 pm

Is this turning into another "who are the cavs" thread. I hope so. The other one was getting fun before it got locked down! Of course, the subject of "who are the cavs" went unresponded to after the initial post.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby tired » Mon May 31, 2010 11:21 pm

I can'ts believe Stodimire wants to be part of the possey now. So let's just let the player's take over and forget about the fan's and owners. What is the purpose of these free agents getting together for this secret meeting ??? The NBA will be in shambles by the time it's all said and done. The NFL will still be going on at all-star break !!!
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:32 am

Soes anyone actually think he's staying?

Just curious
jb

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 am

Yes.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:47 pm

jb wrote:Soes anyone actually think he's staying?

Just curious

End of the day will come down to this:

Does he want to follow Mike in Chicago?
Does he want to go to Miami and look like a coat tail on Wade?
Does him plus one other cat make the Knicks better than the Cavs today?

My answers:

No
No
Probably not, but does the Garden make up for that? Yes.

So you are basically going to have him flipping a coin between staying with him getting more say in what the organization does or leaving and being the King of New York, with less say with the front office and even more pressure to win.

The biggest piece will be if he can make a maneuver to get one of the other guys to force their organization into a sign and trade of that player to Cleveland. If so, he stays. If not, he and Bosh will be on Broadway.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:05 pm

The pros have been hit ad nausem here and everywhere else, here are some detractions to each of the proposed markets. I am leaving out Cleveland cause if you want to see those, read any NY/CHI newspaper or watch ESPN talking heads.

Chicago- Bron wants Michael's blessing but the thing is, Michael would never give it, in my opinion. First of all, Mike's still competitive enough to concede nothing to anyone, particularly someone coming at his legacy. The Hall of Fame speech showed Mike's still a dick. He isn't giving Bron dick for a blessing on it. Bron may go anyway but it's a point worth noting.

New York- Yeah the roster sucks but, and I am going to be brutally honest here... are we 100% sure that Lebron wants this type of limelight, night in and night out? He's a sharp enough guy... I've seen 98% of his Cavs games and caught countless HS games and I'm not sure that he is entirely on board with 24/7 type coverage. He's been in control of EVERYTHING with his PR thus far, NY is a whole other beast though. He's not CC heading there. This is the equivalent of Jeter/Arod/Ewing all rolled into one, constantly followed, constantly critiqued, etc.

New Jersey- Red-headed step child no less. But seriously, the Russian guy is getting blown by the media right now but is Bron going to be that sure of the guy? If you are comparing ownership, who are you most sure of? Gilbert, obviously. So would the NJ package be because of the owner-Brooklyn-Hova combination? The team stinks, no coach, Thorn's still the key executive and Jay is BARELY a team owner. Hell, Usher's got just as much stake by some accounts. Color me unimpressed.

Clippers- Sterling, enough said.

Mavs- Intruiging possibility but Dallas needs to worry about Phoenix losing Amare and then trying to poach Dirk, to be honest.

Miami- South Beach fan base and market is garbage. No global icon getting built there anymore than he has already done in Cleveland.

I think the time away from things and the Celts success have aided the Cavs int eh Bron sweepstakes. Still here's my thoughts:

3 weeks ago:
Bulls 50%
Knicks 20%
Nets 20%
Cavs 10%

Today:
Bulls 40%
Knicks 15%
Nets 25%
Cavs 20%
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Just got a txt from espn.

Apparently he just did an interview with larry king in which he said "Cavs have the edge over other teams in signing me.."
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:53 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5238743

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James told CNN's Larry King that the Cleveland Cavaliers "have an edge" when it comes to signing him when the free agency period begins on July 1.

James answered "absolutely" when asked by King if Cleveland has an edge to re-sign him due to his familiarity with the team. The interview was taped Tuesday and will air Friday on CNN's "Larry King Live," capping the program's 25th anniversary celebration on the network.

"Absolutely. Because, you know, this city, these fans, I mean, have given me a lot in these seven years. And, you know, for me, it's comfortable. So I've got a lot of memories here. And -- and so it does have an edge," James told King.

also, chocolate thunder wants him to stay.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Triple-S wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5238743

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James told CNN's Larry King that the Cleveland Cavaliers "have an edge" when it comes to signing him when the free agency period begins on July 1.

James answered "absolutely" when asked by King if Cleveland has an edge to re-sign him due to his familiarity with the team. The interview was taped Tuesday and will air Friday on CNN's "Larry King Live," capping the program's 25th anniversary celebration on the network.

"Absolutely. Because, you know, this city, these fans, I mean, have given me a lot in these seven years. And, you know, for me, it's comfortable. So I've got a lot of memories here. And -- and so it does have an edge," James told King.

also, chocolate thunder wants him to stay.

Y'all are gonna get dizzy if you're not careful over the next couple months.

Dude has $30million other legit reasons to stay. None of it means shit til there's a pen in his hand rather than a microphone in his face. He loves the attention way too much not to create more of it so buckle up if you're gonna get on the LBJ Watch train. Or tune out completely and check back in 6 weeks when it matters.

It'll get here.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby waborat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:12 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Dude has $30million other legit reasons to stay.

Yes...

And let's not forget a family who lives in his new mansion that's only 30-45 minutes from work every day...

If we've learned one positive thing so far from Kingie, it's that he's loyal to his family, friends & Akron...

I have a hard time believing, right now, that he wants to be away from his home for 7-9 months every year???

My gut still says 3-4 yr term locally coming up...

We shall see
waborat

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:27 pm

More excerpts from the King interview per Windy

PDcavsinsider

1. LeBron on FA decision: "I'm far from close..I've thought about it, but I haven't began to strategize exactly." 7 minutes ago via web

2. LeBron on Clippers: "Some really nice, solid pieces that, u know, if they add a free agent...it could be a really good team." 9 minutes ago via web

3. LeBron on the free agent crop: "I am the ringleader." 11 minutes ago via web

4. LeBron: "As far as saving the city economically, I can't get 2 involved. I can't let that be a decision of mine or what I do with my future. 20 minutes ago via web

5. LeBron: "If u put me and Bosh on the same team, if you put me and Wade on the same team...a lot of teams would be much better." 23 minutes ago via web

6. LeBron: "It's not always about the city. It's about winning." 24 minutes ago via web

7. More LeBron with King: "We both, myself and Mike Brown, didn't accomplish what we wanted to, and that was the NBA championship." 37 minutes ago via web

8. LeBron to King on FA meeting: It will be fun to get all the free agents together and...figure out a way how we can make the league better 38 minutes ago via web

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:31 pm

So when do we get his appearances with Leno, Letterman, and Oprah?
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Four options the way I see it. In this order of likelihood.

1. Bron signs a 3-4 year deal here in Cleveland (30% chance)
2. Bron, terrified of pending labor strife, signs a max deal in Cleveland (30% chance)
3. Bron doesn't like Cleveland's pre July 15 moves, decides to go elsewhere, but doesn't wanna become Modell in his hometown and forces a sign and trade to a place like Dallas or Phoenix (25% chance)
4. Bron and _________ go to NY (15% chance)

No effin way he walks in Michael's footsteps in Chicago. If game five of the 2nd round of the playoffs is too much for him to handle, he ain't gonna try and fill his heroes shows. Or go to effin Jersey. No way.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:49 pm

swerb wrote:Four options the way I see it. In this order of likelihood.

1. Bron signs a 3-4 year deal here in Cleveland (30% chance)
2. Bron, terrified of pending labor strife, signs a max deal in Cleveland (30% chance)
3. Bron doesn't like Cleveland's pre July 15 moves, decides to go elsewhere, but doesn't wanna become Modell in his hometown and forces a sign and trade to a place like Dallas or Phoenix (25% chance)
4. Bron and _________ go to NY (15% chance)

No effin way he walks in Michael's footsteps in Chicago. If game five of the 2nd round of the playoffs is too much for him to handle, he ain't gonna try and fill his heroes shows. Or go to effin Jersey. No way.

Totally agree with all those points Swerb with exception to the NJ piece. Although its low odds, I think if he cant get another free agent there, he might go. That Russian owner has pockets deeper than anyone, including Gilbert, and who knows what he is capable of. Definitely a long shot but with LBJ anything is possible.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Just curious

I do.

I think the notionof unfinished business here, the owner he knows and is familiar with also being the owner who will do anything to improve the team for the purposes of winning, the lack of uber pressure from the media in this market (versus a NY/Chi) and the proximity to his personal life and Akron all seem like big forces to help keep him here.

Plus, he can fail here and it wouldn't be anywhere near as significant as if he failed elsewhere (particularly Chi/NY).

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:57 pm

FUDU wrote:

Just curious

I do.

I think the notionof unfinished business here, the owner he knows and is familiar with also being the owner who will do anything to improve the team for the purposes of winning, the lack of uber pressure from the media in this market (versus a NY/Chi) and the proximity to his personal life and Akron all seem like big forces to help keep him here.

Plus, he can fail here and it wouldn't be anywhere near as significant as if he failed elsewhere (particularly Chi/NY).

Think about it - he just absolutely mailed in the biggest game of his career (game 5) ... and after one day of a couple tough questions (from mostly national media), no one's even said or written a thing about it here in Cleveland. Water under the bridge. Forget the fact this was our best chance to win a title in this town in almost 50 years.

Ironically, Cleveland's puss-ball media could be the thing that helps keep him here.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:00 pm

swerb wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Just curious

I do.

Think about it - he just absolutely mailed in the biggest game of his career (game 5) ... and after one day of a couple tough questions (from mostly national media), no one's even said or written a thing about it here in Cleveland. Water under the bridge. Forget the fact this was our best chance to win a title in this town in almost 50 years.

Ironically, Cleveland's puss-ball media could be the thing that helps keep him here.

Yes, but do you think he realizes that?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09 pm

He's got to. He's not an idiot. And even if he is, his handlers aren't. Plus - Gilbert's commitment to win. Everything the man has touched has turned to gold, he's handled LBJ brilliantly, he's committed to spending, and he lopped off Roker's head for LeBron.

More money. Close to home. Comfort level. Commitment to winning from the org. Pussy media that cowers at the sight of him and doesn't even call him out for not even trying in maybe the biggest game in franchise history. Mix in a little guilt he'd have over essentially destroying the Cavs franchise - and it all adds up to LeBron reupping here on the north coast.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:10 pm

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Gilbert's commitment to win. Everything the man has touched has turned to gold

Sure. If you don't count the Cavs or the Casinos. So really the only gold he's produced is the dubious Quicken Loans.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:20 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Gilbert's commitment to win. Everything the man has touched has turned to gold

Sure. If you don't count the Cavs or the Casinos. So really the only gold he's produced is the dubious Quicken Loans.

Rock Financial. Quicken. Fathead. Flash Seats. Rawlings Sporting Goods.

Cavs have been a financial success. Casinos not even open yet.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:00 am

swerb wrote:He's got to. He's not an idiot. And even if he is, his handlers aren't.

Color me unconvinced. AFAIC, there are no pros involved. It is a real-life Entourage series of a bunch of synchophants and HS buddies eating off the platter. From what I hear LRMR can't get anyone to sign on. It's Master P all over again.

Bron's comments to the old Lesthat look a like have him strating to stray into Thome territorry. He and Wade are starting to get mediot backlash for their assinine megalamania. Both are retracting into the "we're staying until convinced otherwise" zone, and I am convinced there isn't a lick of sincerity in it anymore than Modell's end game shenanigans. It just quells the storm a bit until they hit the market, and it is an attempt to deflect some of the blame on their home teams in they leave, or just set up an "ah shucks, it was an offer so good I couldn't refuse".

I'd have much more respect if these prima donna's just went the CC route and STFU and make it known they were exploring the market. Period. E.G., I'm takin the caysh, the gwop, da chedda. * The King comments are setting up straight up villification IMO.

And no, I give LRMR zero credit as of now, and I don't think there is a single professional agent type giving advice. Just this seedy WW Wes undercurrent of wannabe Nino Brown's goin' legit.

* - Yeah yeah yeah, the Cavs can give him the extra year and pay him the most. But why would he take it? Why would he sign a max year deal when he could sign 3 and do this all over again?
Last edited by jb on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:02 am

Motherscratcher wrote:
swerb wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Just curious

I do.

Yes, but do you think he realizes that?

Absolutely not.

Who is in his life to tell him that?
jb

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:07 am

I for one am just shocked by the attention that this situation is getting. :lmfao:
The guy seeks attention and lots of it. Let's see the NBA Finals is getting ready to start and he happens to grant dead man walking a sit down interview. The Larry King interview does nothing more than to further build up the hype surrounding MeBron's decision. It seems very reasonable that he will stay here and yet just doesn't seem like it will work out that way. :gah:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:This offseason is going to be a nightmare.

I've got serious Lebron fatigue, this whole thing is going to be one giant soap opera with the biggest diva in sports pulling the strings.

Goddamn. Not only are you one handsome motherfucker, you called that perfectly.

Nice to hear Cleveland "has an edge" to resign LeBron, i'm so thrilled to know he's comfortable there.

Too bad we have to wait another month+ to get an answer, I know he's dying to be courted, wined, and dined like a teenage girl.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby daddywags » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:24 pm

jb wrote:
swerb wrote:He's got to. He's not an idiot. And even if he is, his handlers aren't.

Color me unconvinced. AFAIC, there are no pros involved. It is a real-life Entourage series of a bunch of synchophants and HS buddies eating off the platter. From what I hear LRMR can't get anyone to sign on. It's Master P all over again.

Bron's comments to the old Lesthat look a like have him strating to stray into Thome territorry. He and Wade are starting to get mediot backlash for their assinine megalamania. Both are retracting into the "we're staying until convinced otherwise" zone, and I am convinced there isn't a lick of sincerity in it anymore than Modell's end game shenanigans. It just quells the storm a bit until they hit the market, and it is an attempt to deflect some of the blame on their home teams in they leave, or just set up an "ah shucks, it was an offer so good I couldn't refuse".

I'd have much more respect if these prima donna's just went the CC route and STFU and make it known they were exploring the market. Period. E.G., I'm takin the caysh, the gwop, da chedda. * The King comments are setting up straight up villification IMO.

And no, I give LRMR zero credit as of now, and I don't think there is a single professional agent type giving advice. Just this seedy WW Wes undercurrent of wannabe Nino Brown's goin' legit.

* - Yeah yeah yeah, the Cavs can give him the extra year and pay him the most. But why would he take it? Why would he sign a max year deal when he could sign 3 and do this all over again?

You explained it. Even if he said outright "I'm takin' the most money" he couldn't sign with another team because we can offer him more money over any number of years than any other team can. I know the difference isn't much, but that's not the thrust of the "I'm takin' the most money" comment, either. $3 million more over 3 years is still "more." That may be why he's focused on "the best chance of winning." It's completely subjective and allows him to go wherever he wants. Given the structure of the NBA CBA there's really nothing else he can say except "I don't really like Cleveland and I'm not signing here." Not sure why he'd say that now even if it's true.
daddywags

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA