Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Stern: NBA projects $400 million in losses

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Billy Hunter better wear his cup cause Stern is gonna hit him wear it hurts. Whether or not this $400 million figure is exaggerated, it's clear Stern and the owners are gonna do their best to break the union into a million little pieces.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... stern.html

David Stern said Saturday the NBA is projecting league-wide losses of about $400 million this season and has lost hundreds of millions in each previous year of the current collective bargaining agreement.

By BRIAN MAHONEY

AP Basketball Writer
DALLAS —

David Stern said Saturday the NBA is projecting league-wide losses of about $400 million this season and has lost hundreds of millions in each previous year of the current collective bargaining agreement.

The commissioner said it has shown the players' association those numbers in hopes of demonstrating why the league feels it needs "significant changes" in the next deal.

The NBA's first proposal for a deal to replace the one that expires in July 2011 was thrown out Friday after what players association director Billy Hunter called a "contentious" 90-minute meeting. Hunter said the proposal called for harsh changes that would affect every NBA player.

"The right adjectives were thrown around, and our proposal appropriately denounced. Our response is, 'You can denounce it, tear it up, you can burn it, you can jump up and down on it, as long as you understand that it reflects the financial realities of where we are,'" Stern said during his annual All-Star press conference.

"And if you would like to have your own proposal, as long as it comes back and deals with our financial realities, that's OK with us. That's fine with us. In fact, that's what we would like to do."

Stern criticized the union's behavior at the session, saying it earned "high marks on the list of theatrical negotiations." He revealed that the players' side brought in a lawyer who threatened that the union would be decertified, making negotiating more difficult.

He also had sharp words for his own side, denouncing anonymous comments made by team executives that served to inflame the bargaining process.

"If you know me, and you know our owners, that's not what we do. That's not us. And the players were upset with those quotes, which I find cowardly, if they were actually said," Stern said. "And if I ever found out who said them, they would be dealt with; they would be former, former NBA people, not current. And we assured the stars of that."
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Re: Stern: NBA projects $400 million in losses

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:47 pm

If the owners are losing that much money I'd expect the word "contraction" to be coming out of Stern's mouth every other sentence. Also, shuttering the WNBA and D-League would happen yesterday.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:24 pm

God.

Did you listen to the players' interviewed in the last strike the owners allegedly won hands down as the palyers' caved?

To now admit this?

Time for Stern to go.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:47 pm

JB wrote:God.

Did you listen to the players' interviewed in the last strike the owners allegedly won hands down as the palyers' caved?

To now admit this?

Time for Stern to go.

The economy collapsing aint on Stern and the revenue has died as the economy has.

And it's not Stern's fault Middle America prefers a watered down NFL to a far far more entertaining sport.

Fucking NFL is sucking all the money up and doesn't even need leadership to do anything at this point.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:54 pm

The NBA will always be 2nd to football.

It's a giant money making machine that tries to suck every last dollar out of it's fans' pockets.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:57 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
JB wrote:God.

To now admit this?

Time for Stern to go.

The economy collapsing aint on Stern and the revenue has died as the economy has.

And it's not Stern's fault Middle America prefers a watered down NFL to a far far more entertaining sport.

Fucking NFL is sucking all the money up and doesn't even need leadership to do anything at this point.

If I didn't know you were a Boston fan I'd swear you were Marc Cuban.

Why blame the NFL?

Why not pile on Nascar, too?

Or home movie rentals?

Or CiCi's pizza?

What NBA teams charge for games in person is a joke. Unless you want to stuff cotton balls up yer nose, it costs well nigh $3 bills to take a family of 4 to just get in the gate. In freaking CLEVELAND. Probably three times that in DC.

They let it get away from them.
Last edited by jb on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:57 pm

About a month ago, Adande and Simmons claimed that only three NBA teams were making money (Lakers were one). Even though "the gate" for most NBA teams don't look too bad, the revenues are.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:00 am

I've never been to a Cavs game, how much does shit cost there in comparison to the Browns (which is obscene)?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 am

I'm not blaming the NFL, I'm blaming people and their stupidity regarding a pretty watered down and crappy NFL product at the moment.

Direct TV gives the NFL owners billion dollar guaranteed TV contracts for probable lockout seasons and the owners still cry poverty.

NBA is an expensive sport people don't have the money at the moment to afford in person and sponsorship is way down.

The NFL going into a lockout w/ all of the money morons in middle America dump into it is a much bigger deal than the NBA and its massive erosion in attendance and sponsorship since 2007 due to the economy.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:04 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I've never been to a Cavs game, how much does shit cost there in comparison to the Browns (which is obscene)?

True.

But NBA League Pass costs half as much as the Sunday ticket for 100x more games.

Check out that nice ass description disparity.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby ajunior148 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:29 am

Fantasy football is a huge contributor to the revenue disparity between the NFL and NBA. It's not the only reason, but it's very significant. Fantasy basketball just isn't as fun to the average guy.

I make decent money for my age, and I don't understand how and why people pay what they do to go to games. NBA or NFL. Why am I going to drop $150 just for two people to go to one game and have decent seats when I can watch it from home?

Or you can buy the $30 dollar seats and spend the entire game trying to figure out if it's Mo or Boobie in the game. I'll pass.
ajunior148

Unread postby ajunior148 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:30 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I've never been to a Cavs game, how much does shit cost there in comparison to the Browns (which is obscene)?

True.

But NBA League Pass costs half as much as the Sunday ticket for 100x more games.

Check out that nice ass description disparity.

The League Pass is an excellent deal. If I had more free time it would be a no brainer to me.
ajunior148

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:55 am

ajunior148 wrote:Fantasy football is a huge contributor to the revenue disparity between the NFL and NBA. It's not the only reason, but it's very significant. Fantasy basketball just isn't as fun to the average guy.

I make decent money for my age, and I don't understand how and why people pay what they do to go to games. NBA or NFL. Why am I going to drop $150 just for two people to go to one game and have decent seats when I can watch it from home?

Or you can buy the $30 dollar seats and spend the entire game trying to figure out if it's Mo or Boobie in the game. I'll pass.

It's fantasy football, gambling and the fact that everyone believes their crap team can win the title every year. Just look at the Browns.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:58 am

ajunior148 wrote:Why am I going to drop $150 just for two people to go to one game and have decent seats when I can watch it from home?

Because it's more exciting in person. I'm a poor college student who makes minimum wage, but I paid around $200 for a ticket for the Cowboys-Browns opener last year. Call it stupid if you want but I had a lot of fun and it was well worth it.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:35 am

Disagree with any take that says NFL is better in person than NBA.

I dont know how that is remotely possible.

The NFL is one of, if not the worst "live" product in the sporting world.

This is coming from a Browns season ticket holder. The ONLY thing the NFL has is fewer games and the customers willing to sacrifice all the dicked over prices for 4-8 games (plus a preseason) rather than a much more economical 81 or 41 for the MLB or NBA.

When you are at the game, there is absolutely no way one can claim that the actual game is better than the opposing leagues. NFL games for the most part suck to watch because of the TV shit and the angles within most stadiums.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby jb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:48 am

A bunch of subjective whining about preferences.

Like Steak n Shake fans bitching about McDonalds. Who cares? Football is king for socio-psychological reasons that it mirrors modern America, just as baseball did in the first half of the 20th century.

NBA is writing checks it can't cash because they charge more than their market will bear. Period. They need to deal with that.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:59 am

And they are.

CBA is being redone due to changes in the financial and economic situations affecting the league.

Stern has the league w/ a much better/younger fan base now and w/ all of the international success this should be great down the road.

My point is the king of the castle is allegedly unsustainable due to the economy. Why shouldn't we expect as much from the NBA? Yet you are calling for Stern's head?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:25 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
ajunior148 wrote:Fantasy football is a huge contributor to the revenue disparity between the NFL and NBA. It's not the only reason, but it's very significant. Fantasy basketball just isn't as fun to the average guy.

It's fantasy football, gambling and the fact that everyone believes their crap team can win the title every year. Just look at the Browns.

be honest though..in the nfl, your 'crap' team has an infinitely better chance at winning a title from year to year than your 'crap' nba team. before this last nba season started if your team wasn't LA, Cle, Orl, Bos and MAYBE Den you were fooling yourself if you thought it was going to win a ring this year. while in the nfl, teams come from out of nowhere ALL the time...pointing to the browns as an example of a team with no chance is the equivalent of pointing to a crippled guy and saying he's got no shot at winning the 100 yard dash...

you're right about the gambling part tho..it's a huge factor in the nfl's success...
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:32 am

No doubt. That's the by product of a league short on talent at the moment and w/ non guaranteed salaries.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Eeyore, the Association has a perception problem. And I'm not talking about the "thug" thing, which IMO is overblown. I'm talking about the perception that the league is rigged. FWIW I know peeps who will not watch NBA basketball because they're convinced it's fixed. I know that's just anecdotal, but the perception is out there.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:37 pm

I get Sunday Ticket and League Pass. Paying for Sunday Ticket is like being prison raped. Especially when they make you shell out another $100 for HD. WTF? League Pass is a bargain in comparison.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:26 pm

aoxo1 wrote:I get Sunday Ticket and League Pass. Paying for Sunday Ticket is like being prison raped. Especially when they make you shell out another $100 for HD. WTF? League Pass is a bargain in comparison.

Thats why I go to Bdubs to watch football.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:32 pm

I totally lost interest in watching basketball years ago. IMO, it’s like the WWE. I watched a little bit of a game last week, and there was so much NOISE/Music during the game itself. How can someone make a shoot with all that sound? The crowd noise is one thing. But the rap or whatever they play is so distracting.

At a baseball game, they don't shout "defense" or rap from Lil Wayne or T.I. when the game is in play.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:38 am

Rat_Tail wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:I get Sunday Ticket and League Pass. Paying for Sunday Ticket is like being prison raped. Especially when they make you shell out another $100 for HD. WTF? League Pass is a bargain in comparison.

Thats why I go to Bdubs to watch football.

Do you eat or drink beer there?

If so, you likely aren't saving much money over the course of 16 games.

Plus I prefer my couch and my own food.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA