Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

LeBron Adds McDonalds to list of corporate sponsors

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

LeBron Adds McDonalds to list of corporate sponsors

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:53 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: LeBron Adds McDonalds to list of corporate sponsors

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Dang Swerb, thought I had the "scoop" on this. I would think a sandwich fit for a "King" will be forthcoming. Maybe they can rename the McSuck sandwich, I mean McRib something on behalf of LBJ.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:01 pm

They could rename the McGangBang

In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Please bring the McRib back.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:21 pm

i love when pro athletes endorse junk food....like they got chiseled eating the colon smashers that mcdonalds serves...not trying to sound like i'm on a high horse...just think it's funny....
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:Please bring the McRib back.

Listened to the Bulls on radio last night and it's in Chicago if you want to go on a roadie. Off Topic:
Derrick Rose is on fire :pop:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby rk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Ea$t $ide wrote:i love when pro athletes endorse junk food....like they got chiseled eating the colon smashers that mcdonalds serves...not trying to sound like i'm on a high horse...just think it's funny....

Lots of them do get chiseled eating junk food. Not sure where the myth came from that junk food doesn't supply plenty of protein and plenty of calories. The problem with it is that it also supplies plenty of fat which can cause people with slow metabolisms who aren't active to have health problems.

But if you're a hyperactive employee of a professional basketball team you can basically eat whatever the hell you want - until you're +30 and your metabolism starts to go to shit.

IE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVA00Fngvmg
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2009/ ... _candy.php
http://startelegram.typepad.com/crime_t ... -food.html
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby papacass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:39 pm

rk wrote:
Ea$t $ide wrote:i love when pro athletes endorse junk food....like they got chiseled eating the colon smashers that mcdonalds serves...not trying to sound like i'm on a high horse...just think it's funny....

Lots of them do get chiseled eating junk food. Not sure where the myth came from that junk food doesn't supply plenty of protein and plenty of calories. The problem with it is that it also supplies plenty of fat which can cause people with slow metabolisms who aren't active to have health problems.

But if you're a hyperactive employee of a professional basketball team you can basically eat whatever the hell you want - until you're +30 and your metabolism starts to go to shit.

IE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVA00Fngvmg
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2009/ ... _candy.php
http://startelegram.typepad.com/crime_t ... -food.html

Burger-and-fry fast food is calorie-dense food. Lots of meat and bread, which means lots of protein and carbs. Great for quick-burst energy. Trouble is, there aren't a lot of nutrients, and the stuff is, as you say, loaded with fat and cholesterol. Basically, if you work out, fast food can be great for your energy level and muscles, but regardless, it's horrible for your internal organs.

And if you don't work out, all the protein and carbs go straight to your midsection. Those calories have to go somewhere, and they go into your body's storage locker: fat cells.

Complicating matters is the omnipresent Coke and Pepsi drinks that accompany every fast food meal. Regular cola is full of high-fructose corn syrup, which is also calorie dense, and medical researchers seem to think it has something beyond that which contributes to weight gain. There's always diet cola, but it's full of artificial chemicals and, for a lot of people, doesn't agree with their stomachs.

That's why my fast-food leanings are more toward Chipotle, where I get the soft tacos with carnitas or chicken, fresh tomato salsa, a dusting of cheese, and lettuce. Reasonably light, but satisfying.

Chipotle, I'll be taking my endorsement royalties presently.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby rk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Papa Cass wrote:That's why my fast-food leanings are more toward Chipotle, where I get the soft tacos with carnitas or chicken, fresh tomato salsa, a dusting of cheese, and lettuce. Reasonably light, but satisfying.

Chipotle, I'll be taking my endorsement royalties presently.

Chipotle is great for weight loss.

Point remains that fast food is perfectly fine for people who want to be in great shape who happen to spend most of their work day doing physical activity and who are under the age of 30.

Oh and additional dietary tips for super mega athletes....

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/ ... b/article/
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Ziner wrote:They could rename the McGangBang

God that looks disgusting. Who whould eat that?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby papacass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:08 pm

rk wrote:Point remains that fast food is perfectly fine for people who want to be in great shape who happen to spend most of their work day doing physical activity and who are under the age of 30.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "perfectly fine" for anyone, athlete or not. But if you burn 5,000 calories a day, you probably won't gain weight from it.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 pm

Gotta call Shenanigans here. There is no way LeBron could land a deal like this while not playing in a major market. No way.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby khetti » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Ocho Cinco claims to eat McDonald's before every practice and every game.

Brock Lesnar recently suffered from diverticulitis (intestinal swelling), which is likely a result of a diet heavy in protein and very light in fiber. Perhaps not a result of a fast-food diet, but it could produce similar results if the fiber content is low enough.

Gotta eat them greens, boys!
khetti

Favorite Player: Kip
Least Favorite Player: Big Ben's Fat Face

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 pm

khetti wrote:

Brock Lesnar recently suffered from diverticulitis (intestinal swelling), which is likely a result of a diet heavy in protein and very light in fiber. Perhaps not a result of a fast-food diet, but it could produce similar results if the fiber content is low enough.

Those guys at Zero Carb don't seem to have any of these problems. They also keep the fat content fairly high though. I am reading Gary Taubes book right now. (Good Calories Bad Calories) which among other things shatters the myth that extra weight is a simple calories in/calories out function like we are pushed to believe.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby khetti » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:05 pm

dmiles wrote:Those guys at Zero Carb don't seem to have any of these problems. They also keep the fat content fairly high though. I am reading Gary Taubes book right now. (Good Calories Bad Calories) which among other things shatters the myth that extra weight is a simple calories in/calories out function like we are pushed to believe.

The Zero Carb fad is fairly recent, though, right? i.e. within the last 10 - 15 years I'd think. I wonder what will happen when people maintain this diet for decades...

I've actually been doing some reading on the Paleo diet, which itself seems intriguing, but it, too, essentially bans anything related to grains (and anything that would not have been consumed before the rise of commercial agriculture) -- so it has some parallels with the South Beach diet.
khetti

Favorite Player: Kip
Least Favorite Player: Big Ben's Fat Face

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Owsley “Bear” Stanley apparently was the inspiration for the zero-carb site as he started that way of eating around 1959.

The zero carb site author runs half-marathons, which is odd, we are all programmed to think "carb-up" before a big race. The hard core eat nothing but beet and water and they try to get 70/30 ground beef for higher fat content and it saves a ton of money over the low-fat beet. I am impressed with transformations.

Let's face it though it's very un-social. I have not dived in just yet, but I'll give it a whirl. I'd only recommend it for people like me with a lot of stomach fat. I did a temporary one leading up to the rose bowl and knocked off 17 lbs. Probably after a month of doing nothing I gained back about 8-10?

Paleo is fine also.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Not worth it's own thread, but by all accounts LBJ is pretty darn into this John Wall fellow and UK Hoops in general:

From today:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrz_dM83M4I&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:42 am

fellas...i work out like a fiend...i'm 37 yrs old and i'm pretty well defined....i couldn't eat something from mcd's unless i wanted to be shitting my brains out for a couple hours...sorry for THAT visual...now i know michael phelps claims to be on some incredible 10,000 calorie a day diet and yeah he probably woofs down a big mac once in a while...but i just can't believe any credible physician or dietary expert would ever tell anyone it would be ok to eat one...like EVER...but oh to be young again and be able to pound whatever shitty food i felt like eating...
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Unread postby fivekmd » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:39 pm

dmiles wrote:
khetti wrote:

Those guys at Zero Carb don't seem to have any of these problems. They also keep the fat content fairly high though. I am reading Gary Taubes book right now. (Good Calories Bad Calories) which among other things shatters the myth that extra weight is a simple calories in/calories out function like we are pushed to believe.

Please enlighten me on how it "shatters the myth". So because one man says it, that refutes years and years of scientific data? It sounds like this guy tells people what they want to hear and takes the onus off them for being overweight.

For 99.9999% of the people out there the calories in versus calories out equation is all you need to know. America needs to stop eating every second of the day and get off their butts and start exercising. And that doesn't mean "I have a really active job" or "I chase the kids around all day".
fivekmd

Location: Body: Pittsburgh, PA; Heart and Soul: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Brian Brennan
Least Favorite Player: Carlos Boozer

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:41 pm

fivekmd wrote:
dmiles wrote:
khetti wrote:

Please enlighten me on how it "shatters the myth". So because one man says it, that refutes years and years of scientific data? It sounds like this guy tells people what they want to hear and takes the onus off them for being overweight.

For 99.9999% of the people out there the calories in versus calories out equation is all you need to know. America needs to stop eating every second of the day and get off their butts and start exercising. And that doesn't mean "I have a really active job" or "I chase the kids around all day".

exactly...unless your 'really active job' is 'professional athlete' it's not active enough to be able to eat mcdonalds and stay thin...
Ea$t $ide

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:13 pm

rk wrote:
Chipotle is great for weight loss.

I've eaten Chipotle at least once a week for the past year. Haven't gained nothing.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:23 pm

fivekmd wrote:

It would be silly to ignore how certain people do not handle carbs as well as others. I was a soldier back in the day, eating the same crap at the chow as my lazy, non-athletic, do-nothing roommate. I played basketball, lifted some, and generally stayed a little more active, but I was always pushing the weight limit (190 or so on a 6'1" frame) while he sat around drinking 6-12 budweisers a day and didn't get fat. I guarantee he took in more calories, and was less active. Taubes goes into great detail regarding hormonal issues CERTAIN people have with insulin. Even Andrew Weil says on Larry King here that Taubes research is very very important for certain people (including himself). I would agree with you that for most calories in calories out is a good rule of thumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQGRJqGQTs

Recent abstract showing the link between Saturated Fat diet intake with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD)

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/ajcn.2009.27725v1?papetoc

Like I said I wont' try and convert some of my vegetarian freak friends out here, but the folks eating Beef and Water are much healthier. Right now I am neither but the one month or so I gave it a whirl I felt one-hundred times better eating eggs, cheese, and beef. To each his own.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Rat_Tail wrote:
rk wrote:

Haven't gained nothing.

So you have gained weight? Sorry I'm not very hip to the double negative lingo.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 pm

noles1 wrote:
Rat_Tail wrote:
rk wrote:

Haven't gained nothing.

So you have gained weight? Sorry I'm not very hip to the double negative lingo.

No. I've stayed the same weight.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:09 am

I remember reading or hearing (can't remember lol) something on what Shaq said. "You eat a burger, you're going to run like a burger."

I hope he doesn't do those some dumb commercials like Charlie Frye and Braylon Edwards used to do.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby fivekmd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 am

dmiles wrote:
fivekmd wrote:

It would be silly to ignore how certain people do not handle carbs as well as others. I was a soldier back in the day, eating the same crap at the chow as my lazy, non-athletic, do-nothing roommate. I played basketball, lifted some, and generally stayed a little more active, but I was always pushing the weight limit (190 or so on a 6'1" frame) while he sat around drinking 6-12 budweisers a day and didn't get fat. I guarantee he took in more calories, and was less active. Taubes goes into great detail regarding hormonal issues CERTAIN people have with insulin. Even Andrew Weil says on Larry King here that Taubes research is very very important for certain people (including himself). I would agree with you that for most calories in calories out is a good rule of thumb.

Recent abstract showing the link between Saturated Fat diet intake with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD)

Like I said I wont' try and convert some of my vegetarian freak friends out here, but the folks eating Beef and Water are much healthier. Right now I am neither but the one month or so I gave it a whirl I felt one-hundred times better eating eggs, cheese, and beef. To each his own.

Yeah, but is that something you can keep up for the next 40 years? That's the problem with all the fad diets is that they cannot be maintained for more than 6 months by the average person. I see it in the office all the time. Drop 40 pounds in six months by licking butter and then the wheels fall off and all the weight comes back.

I guess the thing that got me riled up was your calling the calorie equation a "myth". I give you credit for backtracking a bit, but if something works for the vast majority, it is certainly not a myth.

Off my soap box, everyone carry on.
fivekmd

Location: Body: Pittsburgh, PA; Heart and Soul: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Brian Brennan
Least Favorite Player: Carlos Boozer

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 am

fivekmd wrote:
dmiles wrote:
fivekmd wrote:

Yeah, but is that something you can keep up for the next 40 years? That's the problem with all the fad diets is that they cannot be maintained for more than 6 months by the average person. I see it in the office all the time. Drop 40 pounds in six months by licking butter and then the wheels fall off and all the weight comes back.

I guess the thing that got me riled up was your calling the calorie equation a "myth". I give you credit for backtracking a bit, but if something works for the vast majority, it is certainly not a myth.

I think if you were going to listen to one bit, and one bit only of advice for dropping weight and staying in shape it would be from the fames sports nutritionist Nancy Clark, that is, Never enter into a nutrition program that you don't plan on carrying out the rest of your life.

Fad diets do not work because during the process you make your body a less efficient machine. Those coming off a diet in which they consume zero carbs for example, well, if you don't think depleting your body of the fuel that runs the engine for a few months is breaking you down, you're sadly mistaken.

And I would add common sense, not shortcuts. Again, as mentioned in another thread, you wanna believe that eating 25 sausage links is better than a couple apples, have at it. But you know....you really know that isn't true. And common sense would also tell us that we aren't going to go the rest of our life NEVER eating our favorite pizza or snack.

Like the Chipotle, you might not be gaining weight now, but you will, and even if you didn't, nobody is dumb enough to believe that stuff is good for your system. Hell, "Super Size Me" was critically acclaimed, and can scientifically be backed, we all know it, but nobody really cares. We like McDonalds, our kids like McDonalds, it's easy and cheap. So we go.

Balance, moderation and discipline. Science has proven these to be the keys. Do you wanna be healthy, or not? Because if you do, it's not hard to find out how - but in our society it's not easy to do. And we love easy shit.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Rack em', LP. 100% right. Peeker was on it, too.

The two big points is that being healthy means living healthy. We all know the freakish metabolism guy/girl who can eat whatever they want and stay skinny; that's just a measure of how their bodies metabolize fat. The cholesterol and hormones and other bullshit that are in most fast food aren't leaving visible signs but they are destroying those bodies too.

The only way you can stay in shape/fit your whole life is if you live a healthy lifestyle. Every person can define that in their own way, with "vices" that they ignore (for me, it's dark beer.....It's like crack) but you have to generally stay away from the body punishing foods. (HFCS, trans fats, additives, excessive white breads, whatever) Having a balanced diet with veggies and avoiding the bullshit is the only way you can be healthy for a lifetime. If you don't believe me, look at how fat average america has gotten.

(On a side note, they showed two fans at a nationally televised Indians game last year I was watching with local buds....one was a slim good looking blonde with a Grady's Ladies sign, and the other was a small house with a Hafner's Honeys sign. The other guys couldn't stop laughing and going, "CLEEEEEEEEEVELAND")

Do you have some leeway if you're active and can burn off the higher fat contents? Sure. I have a fast food burger every few weeks and manage to stay very fit/defined (i'm 30) but my lifestyle and diet is healthy, so I can. A regular diet of McD's may not make you fat, but it's going to do other bad shit to you. (I get the same problem, Spongebob)

Dietary workout supplements have a moderate fat content and calorie load, but they try to eliminate a lot of the other debilitating stuff you'll get a typical high protein/low fiber/high cholesterol diet.

Sorry to rant, but childhood obesity is one thing that gets my jock all twisted.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:25 pm

There's the 90% rule, we're well aware of on this site - then there's the other 90% rule. That is, 5% of us can live an unhealthy lifestyle and live to be a hundy. 5% of us can be the cleanest livers there ever was, and die at 30. But 90% of us are going to live based on how we conduct our lives.

The 90% rules collide often, such as every smoker who pointed to George Burns, while ignoring the thousands around them succombing prematurely to smoking related symptoms.

There are several cats on this earth that will eat McDonalds 4 times a week, stay at a decent weight, and live beyond the average age of death - but, they'll be many more that live a fast food life that are riddled with health problems, and if they do hang on to live long enough to see a decent age, will have a poor quality of life while doing so. Not to mention the several just dropping stone cold dead from coronaries.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:There's the 90% rule, we're well aware of on this site - then there's the other 90% rule. That is, 5% of us can live an unhealthy lifestyle and live to be a hundy. 5% of us can be the cleanest livers there ever was, and die at 30. But 90% of us are going to live based on how we conduct our lives.

The 90% rules collide often, such as every smoker who pointed to George Burns, while ignoring the thousands around them succombing prematurely to smoking related symptoms.

There are several cats on this earth that will eat McDonalds 4 times a week, stay at a decent weight, and live beyond the average age of death - but, they'll be many more that live a fast food life that are riddled with health problems, and if they do hang on to live long enough to see a decent age, will have a poor quality of life while doing so. Not to mention the several just dropping stone cold dead from coronaries.

Yes I fit that 5%. Eating whatever crap I like all day long, exercise rarely, and gain no weight. I'm seemingly in good health, and thank God almighty for some good genetics and a high metabolism.

Lead I have heard about the 90% rule, and can make a educated guess on the theory, but care to explain it here as I am lazy and haven't been in a thread where it was shared.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 pm

fivekmd wrote:

No doubt, if it's not sustainable it doesn't work. Dan John and some of the T-Mag guys who came up with the Velocity Diet felt strongly (for heavy lifter types) that burning a ton of fat off in one month was better suited for many folks than trying to change what they eat.

Now, if you can't continue with the diet it's not doing you any good. Either you come up with a new way of eating or you stay fat I guess.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:39 pm

When do you know Cavalier season is going well?

30+ replies about how bad fast food is for you is a hot topic on the Boards.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
And I would add common sense, not shortcuts. Again, as mentioned in another thread, you wanna believe that eating 25 sausage links is better than a couple apples, have at it. But you know....you really know that isn't true. And common sense would also tell us that we aren't going to go the rest of our life NEVER eating our favorite pizza or snack.

Like the Chipotle, you might not be gaining weight now, but you will, and even if you didn't, nobody is dumb enough to believe that stuff is good for your system. Hell, "Super Size Me" was critically acclaimed, and can scientifically be backed, we all know it, but nobody really cares. We like McDonalds, our kids like McDonalds, it's easy and cheap. So we go.

Balance, moderation and discipline. Science has proven these to be the keys. Do you wanna be healthy, or not? Because if you do, it's not hard to find out how - but in our society it's not easy to do. And we love easy shit.

I agree with most of what you said except the 25 sausage links vs. the apples. The reality is most of the zero carb types from what I can tell avoid a lot of stuff with preservatives. So rarely would you eat bacon, sausage, pepperoni etc. The idea is just to eat straight beef as much as possible and do not do anything that will spike insulin resistance. All I am saying is the comparison is not valid (between links and apples) on two fronts. The first being that when one eats something with saturated fat they are more satiated and tend not to overeat so the calories in calories out scenario ends up working in that case. It's likely you simply do not injest as many calories because you are full.

The second case being, as I mentioned that this type of food is typically frowned up in very low carb circles. There is one lady (anecdotal of course) claiming that she just eats about 1-1/2 to two lbs. of Ribeye steak each day. That is no more than 2000 calories. So most overweight folks would lose weight eating this and realistically stay fairly healthy.

However Lead you touched on the number one problem with these diets, and that is the social aspect.

It's so damn hard with a busy life running kids around and what not to think you are never going to eat a pizza or a sandwich. (Whatever really). As an example since bird meat is not considered filling enough for the very-low carb types I encouraged my wife to make me a tri-tip at Thanksgiving (mmmmmmm). So much tastier and filling than the bird, but what a PITA for everyone else around me.

As to want to poo-poo-ing the opinions now claiming insulin resistance issues are a problem for SOME people I can tell you through my own anecdotal trial that much of what they say seems to be true for my body. For instance I set out to try this diet for a month which actually ended up through Thanksgiving and christmas. It takes about 3 weeks for the body to adjust to using fat for fuel. I easily lost 17 lbs the first 4 weeks. Facing upcoming job loss and other stress I found myself not sleeping well and spending too much time on the net.

So to stay awake, I broke down and started drinking Diet Cokes and Monsters (low carb sugar free). These very low-carb (VLC) types insists that Artificial Sweeteners cause the same insulin spike that happens when eating a plate full of carbs, but I thought nahhh, calories in, calories out, it won't matter I need to wake up. I noticed my weight loss pretty much halted at that point, although I was lifting weights with the son (bench/deadlift 5 days per week per Pavel's Power to the People) and I felt skinnier, the weight loss basically stopped. Then came new years and rose bowl and my month of laziness and got back about 8 lbs.

For anyone who's tried VLC why does your stomach feel so much skinnier and why does it feel like it's busting through my belt on a carb day? Even if the weight is identical why do I feel like a cow after a nice spaghetti or mexican dinner? If I have a Ribeye and a salad I don't feel disgusting.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Pup wrote:When do you know Cavalier season is going well?

30+ replies about how bad fast food is for you is a hot topic on the Boards.

Hahahaha...great point....i love seeing where the conversations lead to....
Ea$t $ide

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:55 pm

dmiles, you are aware that just because a diet causes you to lose weight doesn't mean that it is healthy?

I mean, are you seriously trying to argue that eating nothing but 2 pounds of rib eye steak is going to result in a long, active, healthy life?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 am

I am telling you axo that I feel 100% better when trying to eat 6 healthy meals a day of veggie/brown rice/chicken breast. (just an example of a typical moderated 30-30-40 or whatever diet recommended by many sources). I don't know if you clicked on the Dr. Andrew Weil video I linked from youtube but I agree with him that this is not for everyone. Rather Taubes gives more depth to the issue than some Atkins or South Beach diet book, and possibly allows someone to find an explanation as to why they feel so much better eating like a carnivore.

I still question how much a person can keep that up so I am checking out many of the anecdotal stories/blogs at zero-carb.

Also I like Beer, which is a killer.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:41 am

dmiles wrote:I am telling you axo that I feel 100% better when trying to eat 6 healthy meals a day of veggie/brown rice/chicken breast. (just an example of a typical moderated 30-30-40 or whatever diet recommended by many sources). I don't know if you clicked on the Dr. Andrew Weil video I linked from youtube but I agree with him that this is not for everyone. Rather Taubes gives more depth to the issue than some Atkins or South Beach diet book, and possibly allows someone to find an explanation as to why they feel so much better eating like a carnivore.

I still question how much a person can keep that up so I am checking out many of the anecdotal stories/blogs at zero-carb.

I'm going to assume disciples of this are planning on living a very, very sedentary life.

Because if you are going to move around much you need fuel. Carbs are fuel. Plain and simple. Going through life without them, if you feel tha't healthy, o.k., but understand the limitations that come with it.

Those who strictly rely on a "diet" sans exercise....may find a way to shed some weight, but it'd be hard to argue that it's a healthy method.

Again, not sure why we need tricks. Balance, moderation and discipline. And move around a little bit. (Perhaps the most startling stat form "Super Size Me" was just how few steps the average American takes in a day) We're passing that right along to our chubby youth.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:48 am

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:29 am

Protein is fuel, too. As is fat. The body needs all of them.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:18 am

dmiles wrote:
khetti wrote:

Don't tell peker.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 am

His own Sammich?

Golllll leeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

My own sammich was better than his.

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 am

dmiles wrote:I am telling you axo that I feel 100% better when trying to eat 6 healthy meals a day of veggie/brown rice/chicken breast. (just an example of a typical moderated 30-30-40 or whatever diet recommended by many sources). I don't know if you clicked on the Dr. Andrew Weil video I linked from youtube but I agree with him that this is not for everyone. Rather Taubes gives more depth to the issue than some Atkins or South Beach diet book, and possibly allows someone to find an explanation as to why they feel so much better eating like a carnivore.

Yeah, well sure a diet comprised of veggies/brown rice/chicken is terrific. I don't think anyone needs to read anything or listen to anyone to know that. Most people have an ingrained sense of what is and isn't healthy due to their upbringing.

That said, I have watched that full Gary Taubes video about his book and it is certainly is interesting. The key point, I thought, was that this whole counting calories and calories in/out thing really isn't correct. It is impossible to do; there is no way to measure how many calories you burn, and there is no way to measure how many you eat. Add in that even a change of just 10 calories (some crumbs or walking a few dozen steps, probably) per day is enough to swing weight a pound over the course of a year. And 10 calories is far, far less than the noise. No one would be able to maintain any kind of weight if this was the way to do it; works in the short term but eventually the body adjusts.

As for me, I've mentioned it on these boards in the past, but I try (try) to stick to Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." The key part being food, not food-like substances.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:53 pm

What would a McTriple Double have on it?
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:What would a McTriple Double have on it?

Hopefully a do-it-yourself angioplasty kit.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Oh, and FWIW, the "everything in moderation diet" has served me well.

Eating crap is fine. How much crap you eat is the key.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA