Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs talking with Phoenix about Amare?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Cavs talking with Phoenix about Amare?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:47 pm

When Amare opts out (which he will) Miami (or us) will still own his bird rights and be able to pay him the most dough, period.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:When Amare opts out (which he will) Miami (or us) will still own his bird rights and be able to pay him the most dough, period.

Right, but I don't see that going the way you say. I think Amare will be signing an extention and not a new deal, if you get my meaning. Just my opinion on how it will go.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:51 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Why?

They could just let Amare walk and get LBJ.

I mean Amare going to Miami changes nothing. If you tell Wade you are going to hold off on reupping Amare (but keep his bird rights) while negotiating w/ LBJ you are in a stronger position if you are Miami, as you can still try to get LBJ and then if he spurns you you still own the bird right to Amare.

But if you're Miami, would you really turn your back on two building blocks that you already have in house? There is risk for Miami there, too, because Amare could walk as the Heat are pursuing LBJ, and they could end up with neither. These big-name FA's probably aren't going to waste a lot of time in agreeing to new deals this summer. The first 10 days of July are going to be a frenzy.

Plus Amare can refuse to opt out of his deal this summer, which he just might do if he's comfortable playing in his home state and doesn't want to chance having to go elsewhere. That throws a big wrench into any plan Miami might have to lure LeBron.

I want Amare on the Cavs, but if he goes to Miami, it's kind of like throwing the dog a chew toy so he doesn't steal and shred your slippers.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:52 pm

If Amare opts out he puts himself completely at the mercy of the new CBA, no smart.

And if Amare gets a deal w/ another team while the heat are talking to LBJ do you think, for a second, he isn't going to check back in Miami and see if they will use bird rights to trump the offer he has?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hugerobot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm

jesus christ i hate RCF
hugerobot

Favorite Player: Lebron James
Least Favorite Player: Derek Anderson

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:56 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If Amare opts out he puts himself completely at the mercy of the new CBA, no smart.

And if Amare gets a deal w/ another team while the heat are talking to LBJ do you think, for a second, he isn't going to check back in Miami and see if they will use bird rights to trump the offer he has?

And if Miami drags their heels at all in responding, while they're waiting to kiss the toes of LBJ, Amare just might leave. So that's the risk factor for Miami if they would decide to back-burner Amare and go after LeBron.

Time will be compressed in a very big way this coming July. There will be a lot of shit or get off the pot decisions to be made by many teams in rapid-fire succession.
papacass

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't think the market this summer moves at all until LBJ decides, to be honest.

Only a team like Chicago or maybe the Knicks that can afford two max peeps will risk jumping before LBJ commits.

And even they may want to wait due to wanting to find out who else LBj wants them to sign before moving forward.

LBJ is going to set the market, trust in that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:His name has not come up since the S-Jax packages (and we were demanding GS buy him out) and he has a 500K buyout after this year that makes him and expiring essentially.

e0, didn't West's name come up early in the Phoenix talks when they were supposedly trying to include Jason Richardson in the trade? Was that just a bad rumor or is it off the table now? I was sure I remembered that happening and I hated the idea of replacing West with Richardson because of the intangibles that West brings to our team (as mentioned above).

Reading Broussard's latest article about Maggette worries me because he mentions in passing that "other names" may be needed to complete the proposed deal with Phoenix, and I worry that it could be West as (I thought) was reported before.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Frank Duffy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Great stuff on this thread as usual and why I always check here before going anywhere else online in the morning.

The Magette and Rip rumors are puzzling. GS has wanted to get rid of M. all year, and should be more than happy to dump him for Wally or Z alone - in fact, it seemed for a while they'd include Randolph or Morrow just to get rid of him. Maybe Randolph showed too much for that still to be true, but he'd be worth asking for. (But, M when under control is actually a pretty good player.) As for Rip and his old body and awful contract, it seems Det would jump at offers. Not sure which direction the "3d team" would be necessary for.

I still flatly don't like giving up JJ for Murph, and would go with LB's opinion on Jamo, but I'm not sold Jamo is an upgrade, and definitely not if we lose Z permanently. Jamo's expiring contract is not a negative and could be a positive. Amare obviously can do anything JJ can, but he's enough of a lunkhead to put his personal goal of a max contract ahead of the team, and he also could leave a championship team for Miami. I'm not a big Pluto fan, but he might be right about this one.
Frank Duffy

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Hargrove

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Frank Duffy wrote:I'm not a big Pluto fan, but he might be right about this one.

Once again for TP, not an original thought in the article.

Honest to God, and I know some people think he's Christ on a laptop, but this guy is getting worse.
He could have read this thread and picked a position to write about.

And he very well may have. His 'internal dialogue' looks a lot like what many people here have been reading and writing all week.

He's at the intersection of Livingston Lane and Shaw Street at this moment. A few blocks south is Branson Blvd.

Pluto's looking in that direction.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Frank Duffy wrote:I'm not a big Pluto fan, but he might be right about this one.

Honest to God, and I know some people think he's Christ on a laptop, but this guy is getting worse.

And he very well may have. His 'internal dialogue' looks a lot like what many people here have been reading and writing all week.

He's at the intersection of Livingston Lane and Shaw Street at this moment. A few blocks south is Branson Blvd.

Form the way you guys talk it seems alot of things written here end up in NEO sports columns
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Frank Duffy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Yeah, I know Pluto's not not been impressive for a while. Just trying to provide a little cover for my "Amar'e-isn't-all-that" take.

BTW, another good byproduct of Cass' take about Ferry's scheme to get Miami to overbid for Amar'e, if A does go there and sign, that would pretty much end the possibility of Wade to NY. That would be comforting given the recent Wade and LB talk.
Frank Duffy

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Hargrove

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Form the way you guys talk it seems alot of things written here end up in NEO sports columns

Don't get me wrong, there's only so many things for most people to write about. Especially here. W/O access and without official media creds you're writing opinion pieces almost exclusively.

It's one reason (another being laziness) that I won't write more stuff. It's all been said 40 times right here in articles.

That's basically all you have here with some exception on Cavs recaps and post-mortem Browns stuff by Gary. That's okay here. You do it in a different voice and it's all you can do. Most of the time you have it here, with quality, before you see it anywhere else locally.

Pluto has access, Pluto has credentials and Pluto has pretty much carte blanche on what he writes.

And yet he says what we've been saying for days. Almost verbatim. Not with any more quality either.

It's fucking lazy and it's sad and the guy is as big a disappointment to me as any bust out athlete here has been because he's mailing it in too.

All done. Just makes me sick and sad that the guy is a fraud.
Last edited by peeker643 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby scott » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Pluto has never been very good at the Cavs beat. He should just leave that to Windy.

He still has some interesting takes and gets some intel on the Browns and occasionally the Tribe in his Sunday columns. Referencing Branson Wright is a little harsh.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Peeker643 wrote:

He is smelly. Christ is not. And, you should be honest to God. :salute:

p.s. The View from Pluto is BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, P U.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Well, after a fast and furious All-Star weekend, it looks like all teams have retreated to their respective corners and begun a rousing game of watching paint dry. At least as far as the big-ticket players are concerned.

I hate this. Bait us, tempt us, work us into a lather over the weekend, and then everyone goes home and clams up.

I know this is how the process works, but honestly, I'd rather hear about a trade approximately 30 seconds before it happens. I don't need to be waiting on pins and needles for five or six days while the Suns make up their mind.
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:27 pm

Papa Cass wrote:Well, after a fast and furious All-Star weekend, it looks like all teams have retreated to their respective corners and begun a rousing game of watching paint dry. At least as far as the big-ticket players are concerned.

I hate this. Bait us, tempt us, work us into a lather over the weekend, and then everyone goes home and clams up.

I know this is how the process works, but honestly, I'd rather hear about a trade approximately 30 seconds before it happens. I don't need to be waiting on pins and needles for five or six days while the Suns make up their mind.

It's agonizing.

This was the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Peeker643 wrote:

At least it isn't near Roger Brown's neighborhood. Does that guy still have a job anywhere?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

At least it isn't near Roger Brown's neighborhood. Does that guy still have a job anywhere?

He works the shift after this guy:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Papa Cass wrote:Well, after a fast and furious All-Star weekend, it looks like all teams have retreated to their respective corners and begun a rousing game of watching paint dry. At least as far as the big-ticket players are concerned.

It's agonizing.

Seriously, what are the odds that nothing happens? That the Suns say "Ya know, after thinking about it for the past 120 hours or so, I think we're cool hanging onto Amare for now. But thanks anyway."
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Papa Cass wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

It's agonizing.

Seriously, what are the odds that nothing happens? That the Suns say "Ya know, after thinking about it for the past 120 hours or so, I think we're cool hanging onto Amare for now. But thanks anyway."

To be honest, I'd be okay with that.

I think something will happen, but I'm not convinced it's going to be Amar'e or a move that drastic.

I'm sticking to the more minor Z for Murphy line. Too many moving parts with the Suns deal.

That also means my personal pendulum has swung back again. See me in an hour and we'll see where it sits. ;-) ;) :wink:

Just 48 hours and 20 minutes to sweat it out and see.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:42 pm

My prediction:

Amare to Miami
Jamison to Cleveland

All of it happens in the last 30 min before the deadline.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Unfortunately, I think the odds of that and other various deals falling through are greater than the odds of something phenomenal happening. I remember having this exact same lather worked up last year over Shaq...

I think the exact phrase that got me this year was Broussards, "Cavs and Suns CLOSE to finalizing a deal"

I mean, the tantalizing verbage.....AUGGGGGGH.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:46 pm

What are the Heat including to match salaries in thier proposed deal?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm

JCoz wrote:What are the Heat including to match salaries in thier proposed deal?

The Heat have to get a third team involved, and that appears to be their big sticking point. They're reportedly offering up J. O'Neal's $20-odd million expiring, but I think it was Woj who said that's less appealing to the Suns because they'd have to include more contracts to match O'Neal's.

Philly could have had Amare three days ago if they would have been willing to give up Iggy. But it looks like they don't want to.

J.A. Adande was saying on ESPN this morning that the Suns aren't totally convinced that Hickson plus tax relief is enough of a return for Amare. But the Cavs' offer is the most stable.

It seems like the Suns are too far down the road to pull Amare back and just hold onto him, but who knows?
papacass

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Dream Scenario
Cavs trade for Amare knowing full well he intends to go to Miami next year (done for Bird Rights)
Cavs win title meaning LBJ stays in Cleveland
Wade is pissed at Miami for not acquiring anything and wants to leave, Miami doesn't want him to walk for nothing, discuss S&T
Low and behold, Cleveland has a superstar that just happens to want to play in Miami
S&T Amare for Wade and everyone's happy

Everyone gets their max contract
LBJ stays where he wants
Amare goes where he wants
Wade gets what he wants, which is really just to play with LBJ

This is the type of trade Bill Simmons would write about. I can dream can't I?
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm

If ya can Bring It! Windy will be on with Reghi in 15 minutes. I want to smash my face into a wall listening to Reghi, but this trade stuff is like donuts...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Orenthal wrote: I want to smash my face into a wall listening to Reghi

No kidding, I have never heard a more arrogant asshole on the radio. How he has a show is beyond me. I'll be damned if he doesnt use a "I told you so..." or Try to tell you about a correct prediction he made way back when with nothing to back it up or with out being on the air to check it.

Worst of sportstalk right there. Give me Rizzo's entertainment show any day over this ass.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 pm

I hate Reghi so much, for the arrogance you stated, that I never can quite communicate that hate to other people effectively. I usually get a few words out, or just start to imitate him mockingly when I get so upset I just start blabbering in anger as people walk away...

The way he says nothing for an entire monologue segment and talks over his guests and callers makes me wonder hgow the f he has a drive time show...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Listen to how many times Reghi says "I"
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:36 pm

I couldn't make it... Had to shut it off.
Orenthal

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Orenthal wrote:I couldn't make it... Had to shut it off.

Didn't miss a whole lot of new info anyway.

Windy:

If Amare is dealt by the Suns, he believes it will be to the Cavs.

Doesn't think the Cavs have a lot of interest in Murphy, especially for JJ as Indiana is asking. Would do Z for Murphy but that's it.

Thinks the Cavs would have to make a tough decision regarding trading JJ to Washington for Jamison. That's what Washington wants and the Cavs would "toss and turn" on making that decision.

Said he still thinks its possible that the Cavs stand pat.

Danny Green would probably have to be added to Amare deal to make it work. Cavs don't want to give away a draft pick but wouldn't hesitate to do so if it meant getting Amare.

Talked to Wally on Sunday and Wally had not heard from the Cavs regarding a sign and trade.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Windy Twitter: "Anyone who thinks the Cavs are trading Shaq has absolutely no grasp of reality. Been awhile since a game, but remember Cavs are 43-11."

Hi, Chad Ford!
papacass

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Papa Cass wrote:Windy Twitter: "Anyone who thinks the Cavs are trading Shaq has absolutely no grasp of reality. Been awhile since a game, but remember Cavs are 43-11."

Hi, Chad Ford!

Not only is there no talk but both the Cavs AND Wiz have told Marc Stein to put the word out that there's no truth.

I've been encouraged by both teams to dispel that notion in the strongest possible terms. Both teams resoundingly shot down the idea when we checked with them. Got a flat "no" from one of the two teams and a louder "BIG no" from the other.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-2010

This is ESPN's running trade commentary and will be updated as events arise.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:15 pm

I think we can pretty much snuff out the candle on the Suns resolving the Amare situation prior to tonight's game. It's at 8 ET.

Of course, maybe Amare gets held out of the game tonight. We'll see.
papacass

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Papa Cass wrote:I think we can pretty much snuff out the candle on the Suns resolving the Amare situation prior to tonight's game. It's at 8 ET.

Of course, maybe Amare gets held out of the game tonight. We'll see.

That was another thing Windy pointed out on the radio today. He said he thinks the Suns holding Amare out tonight is a possibility and it would obviously show, one way or the other, if the Suns are as close to a deal that many believe them to be.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby T_N_T » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Watching the Grizz-Suns game, Amare does look like he has something on his mind tonight.
T_N_T

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Lebron James

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 pm

PDcavsinsider Here is the latest on Cavs based on sources. Waiting on PHX to accept trade or not. PHX stalling, waiting for other offers to mature.

PDcavsinsider Reports of interest in Corey Maggette, much to my surprise, are true. But that is down the list.

PDcavsinsider Bottom line: Cavs deal gets Suns under luxury tax, saves $10mm+. Heat deal cannot. But MIA trying to find way to take J-Richardson, too.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Couldn't we work out a deal to include Wally for JRich if Miami figures out a way to take on that much salary?

Wasn't Miami laying off people in the front office? now they are going to take on Amare and JRich...
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 pm

PDcavsinsider People asking for my opinion. Have said for month, I'd go with Jamison. But I realize extreme value of Amare deal.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
PDcavsinsider People asking for my opinion. Have said for month, I'd go with Jamison. But I realize extreme value of Amare deal.

If Wash does the deal with JJ not included I think it becomes a bit more difficult to decide. I still go for the home run instead of the off the wall double, Amare gets my vote.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Peeker643 wrote:

And that is exactly the way to go. The fact that reports state that the parameters of the Amare deal are set, and yet he's playing for the Suns tonight, lead me to think that Jamison has to be the guy Danny will go for all the way to the deadline. I think that either the Cavs get Jamison or else they stand pat.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm

<crazy>Tim Duncan and Richard Jefferson for Shaq, Z and Boobie. Trade machine says success.</crazy>
Sorry, but I haven't seen many (if any) crazy trade machine posts this season.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... Id=yjvlljl
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I don't think the market this summer moves at all until LBJ decides, to be honest.

Only a team like Chicago or maybe the Knicks that can afford two max peeps will risk jumping before LBJ commits.

And even they may want to wait due to wanting to find out who else LBj wants them to sign before moving forward.

LBJ is going to set the market, trust in that.

I don't think LeBron even gets to market.

The whole idea of doing the shorter contract extension was to keep the Cavs honest and to take advantage of being a seven year vet IF revenues continued to increase. That would have given him more money than his 2011 option.

But next year's cap is likely to be set at $53M or lower.

That means that teams not named the Cavaliers will be able to offer a max of $15.9M with only 8% raises based on year one of the salary ($1.272M per year).

The Cavs can start off at $16.57M with 10.5% raises based on year one ($1.739M per year). Not going through the Cavs means leaving money at the table - and lots of it.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE...

James' ETO is for $17.149M, more than anything that anyone can pay him by over half a million bucks. If he's happy in Cleveland he'll just not terminate the contract and I see no reason why he won't.

So, you might ask, why not just sign an extension and be done with it?

Because he can't, at least not based on that $17.149M salary. Until he allows that option year to activate it doesn't count as part of the contract and cannot be used for extension.

Now, to be honest, he'd make more next year if he'd just extend off of this current year (he'd get a 10.5% raise as opposed to a 5% raise if he lets the contract end or the smaller raise for the ETO - he'd get around $17.5M next year), though he'd make more money over time by taking the ETO.

But he has until June 30 to sign an extension with the Cavs and he gets tons of extra publicity by not signing it AND gets the Cavs to go after guys like Amare and Jamison, etc to work towards a championship.

So either way, LeBron makes the most money by either not filing his ETO paperwork at the end of the year or just signing an extension. The Cavs have all the advantages.

I think ultimately he'll wait until the end of the season because it keeps his options open and he's always been interested in seeing the Cavs commitment.

But I don't see where else he could reasonably go and still get paid. The Knicks could clear the cap space for two gusy but they'd have garbage for a supporting cast and bench, far behind where the Cavs are. The Heat haven't treated Wade well over the past year and they'd also end up with a bare bones roster. Chicago could be more intriguing, but they're think in the back court and weak up front, so they'd also need to rely on moving someone to add some meat in the paint that could also score.

Adding Amare would probably seal the deal, but I have a feeling the Cavs are confident they'll keep LBJ.

I'd personally think about seeing if we could do a Wally S&T and Z to the Sixers for Iggy if we'd also eat Elton Brand for them. Brand's not worth the cash, but I think he can still be effective and I think he'll improve the further he gets from his injury IF he doesn't get injured again. And Iguodala would be fantastic at SG on offense and defense. But that's if I ran things. Not sure Gilbert wants to take on that much salary.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:04 am

Salary is below LBJ's goals Mac, it is evident and your short term deals are out w/ the new CBA. He's going to max this contract out. Salary will matter when it comes to looking at half of the pay w/ the new CBA.

Global Icon and Chips (with the second being more important) will decide things. And now the Knicks can afford two max deals. Miami can and Chicago can if they dump Kurt.

Lots of drama already set up.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 am

Awesome Youtube on Truhoop on the good and bad of Amare:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS3xPlrGb40&feature=player_embedded#at=18[/youtube]
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 am

Oh and Windy just verified that Amare is our #1 target via Twitter.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:52 am

Nice find. It always seems to be a question of effort with Amare on defense and on the boards. Physically there's no reason he can't be a plus guy on that end of the floor, or average at the very least.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:42 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Salary is below LBJ's goals Mac, it is evident and your short term deals are out w/ the new CBA. He's going to max this contract out. Salary will matter when it comes to looking at half of the pay w/ the new CBA.

Global Icon and Chips (with the second being more important) will decide things. And now the Knicks can afford two max deals. Miami can and Chicago can if they dump Kurt.

Lots of drama already set up.

The Knicks can afford two maxes and have one first round draft pick over the next three years.

Miami has played hardball with Wade and, like New York, have few players under contract. Eddy Curry, Galinari, Chandler, and Douglas is all New York will have and they'll be further hamstrung if the NBA gets to crack down on the salaries. They have no first rounder this year and will swap with Houston for 2011 and give up their 2012 outright. Look ma, no point guard!

And Miami will have Beasley, Jones, Cook, and Chalmers plus DWade IF he stays.

If LeBron then they'll have a bit more money to pay out (around $8M or so) two acquire six more players with. I'm sure they'll be high quality.

As for Chicago, they'll have about $39M on the books, so dumping Hinrich would help them but it won't allow them to do two max players. The Cap is projected to be $53.4M next year and the way things are looking it may be less than that because it is based on a projection and that projection will be bad with the current NBA financials. So even at $30M after dumping Hinrich they will only have $24M to pay out. Two max deals will be $32M, so they come up short. More likely is that Wade goes home to Chicago and they use Hinrich's ending deal to get some inside help. Don't forget that Tyrus Thomas also has a QO, so they have to decide if they want to let him walk or not. They'll need to if they want Wade or anyone else at Max.

I don't see how any of these places provides a better chance for a title. And LeBron is a global icon wherever he is. The Cavs have Chinese minority owners now and are working to promote Bron even more over there.

And if he wants to max out a deal before the new CBA kicks in then Cleveland can pay him far, far more than anyone else. That could be a reason to wait until the season is over as well, because the Cavs can give him a six year deal if the contract is not extended. Everyone else can give him a five year deal.

So, under a new deal any team that is not the Cavs can give LeBron a guaranteed $92.22M over five years. The Cavs can pay $119.535M over six years, over $25M than anyone else.

Championships are important and relationships are as well. LeBron knows the coaches in Cleveland. He knows the owner is committed to winning. He knows the guys he plays with. He knows the fans. He knows the media. Unless another place can clearly show that they have a better chance of winning titles, I doubt he goes anywhere.

And if he does, I'd betcha he'd want that team to have to go through the Cavs because that way he can go somewhere else, win those titles, and still max out his salary.

If anything, he's more likely to ask for a trade to a team that is much further along than Miami, Chicago, or New York. Maybe he asks for a trade to the Lakers or the Nuggets or someone else. But I seriously doubt he signs for one of those teams who have a bunch of unknowns and fairly stripped down rosters. That's why they will have cap space.

I think the LeBron James Derby will be anticlimactic. In fact, I think a deal is done either before FA begins or right around when the bell rings to start things off.

I recall you also talking in the past about how well set up New Jersey is for LeBron. Maybe John Wall can entice him there, though they're only going to have money for one max deal come free agency time. I think they'd be most likely to go after Amar'e or Bosh with that money. They'll probably end up with Boozer because I'm not sure teams will line up to throw him a max deal.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby davemanddd » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:45 am

T_N_T wrote:Watching the Grizz-Suns game, Amare does look like he has something on his mind tonight.

yeah, dude did start out just 2-of-8, but finished with a 21-10 double-double. not too shabby if you ask me. did most of his damage on the pick and roll too. damn that steve nash is a demi-god. too bad we couldn't get both amare and nash to come east together. that being said, it's still gonna be sweet to see lebron and stat turn that trick several times a game. i mean, which one do you cover - fire or ice??? somebody will just have to come up with a new adjective just to describe something so devastating and unstoppable.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA