Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs talking with Phoenix about Amare?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Cavs talking with Phoenix about Amare?

Unread postby Goozer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Listen pal.

Not only did Windy say what I state above, he has said it repeatedly on about 3-4 different occasions over the last couple of weeks via different venues.

When KNR uploads the interview, I ask that you kindly listen to it sans your Windhorst is a pessimist viatrol and hear what he said.

Not trying to be an asshole, but getting the facts straight is important.
Goozer

Unread postby neoleo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Orenthal wrote:Said the deal is an obvious steal for the Cavaliers. Z being brought back making the deal JJ for Amare. Has no concerns of a personal problem between Shaq and Amare, just the fact they did not mesh well in PHO. Will Amare "fit in" like Shaq has and be a piece of a championship team, or will he be more concerned about getting his looks and a max deal. Windy sees the deal as high risk/high reward due to that concern. He likes Jamo better for this season, but understands that if Amare buys in it is by far a better talent deal for the Cavaliers.

Cavaliers do not want to trade JJ for a non all star that has more money left on thier deal. Amare continues the flexibility that Ferry craves and is an all star...

I see the debate about signing Amare to an extension before the trade gets finalized, but wouldn't that ruin the flexibility?

My question for the knowledgeable people on the board: Let's say we make this trade and Amare doesn't mesh (as Windy is worried about), does Amare become another trade chip for us this off season? The way I see it, he either becomes an expiring contract or he opts out and we can sign and trade him?

Correct?

That's exactly the kind of flexibility that Ferry has looked for in the past, and why this deal makes sense to me. You flip one expiring contract for a more talented expiring contract. If Amare fits in, he becomes part of your core, if he doesn't you flip him for another part.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Goozer wrote:Windy:

- To get max contract, risk is definitely there that STAT would not buy in to being a 4th or (best case) 3rd option on this team

Do not understand this. Amare is the #2 option on this team; I guess maybe because it is a midseason acq he might not, but his skills on the offensive end are EASY to fit in. Not exactly hard to get him his points.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:29 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:What about those of you that muck through the crap at RCF. Any noncommittal updates from W&G?

The Cavs are currently pursuing Amare, among other options. Right now the ball is in Phoenix's court, but the Cavs would be happy doing nothing if it falls through. They are concerned about the chemistry of the team, but Amare is also a rare talent. Many routes are possible.
aoxo1

Unread postby neoleo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:31 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Goozer wrote:Windy:

- To get max contract, risk is definitely there that STAT would not buy in to being a 4th or (best case) 3rd option on this team

Do not understand this. Amare is the #2 option on this team; I guess maybe because it is a midseason acq he might not, but his skills on the offensive end are EASY to fit in. Not exactly hard to get him his points.

Agreed ao, he gets at least the amount of touches around the basket that JJ currently gets (plus the ones JJ drops) and I'm sure a few plays would actually get drawn up for Amare. Plus he'll actually take the multiple open jumpers that he'll get (the ones JJ passes up or clanks off the front iron).

I think it would fall more of LBJ as option 1 and Shaq, Mo and Amare as options 2 a,b and c depending on the game but no way is he the consistent 3rd or 4th option.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:34 pm

Mo Williams will never, ever, in a million years be the second option ahead of STAT unless he is enfuego and is just getting hot shooters touches.

Mo is a #3 or #4 ideally on a team and this lets him be that.

The real essentials here would be LBJ continuing his 10+ dime a game nights, as once Mo went down and LBJ went into mad distribution mode JJ started getting more and more open touches.

That said it is inarguable that there are a lot more people to get touches here then in Phoenix and Nash is not really a first option. He's a pure PG looking to dish then shoot. You know this aoxo.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Anglefan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Goozer wrote:Listen pal.

Not only did Windy say what I state above, he has said it repeatedly on about 3-4 different occasions over the last couple of weeks via different venues.

When KNR uploads the interview, I ask that you kindly listen to it sans your Windhorst is a pessimist viatrol and hear what he said.

Not trying to be an asshole, but getting the facts straight is important.

Well anyone who calls someone "pal" is automatically an asshole. I'm telling you what was actually said. Everyone knows LeBron is resigning here. Anyone with a brain understands that there is no scenario out there where it makes sense that he'd be going anywhere else at this point. Windy's actual comments at the end of this interview made it seem as though there was a legit chance he would leave depending on different scenarios and I found myself saying out loud to the radio, "What the hell are you talking about?" That's how I distinctly remember the tone of his comments. If he wasn't questioning whether LeBron would resign, why would he be weighing the positives and negatives of a short term help vs. a long term help? Because it's a no brainer.

Windy being generally negative is a "thing". It's pretty well known around these internet fan communities. That's just his personality. I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to make of it. It just is what it is. Respond to the bold part.
Anglefan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Windy negative?

I mean have you read the Sam Smith's the beat writing world? How about Peter Vescey? Eff even the entire Boston Globe sports section.

Windy shoots straight and tries to not lean one way or another. Anyone that calls him negative is just pissed he isn't a pom pom pushing fan, like someone that states openly today LBJ IS RESIGNING WE KNOT THIS DAMNIT!

Fans want to hear what they want to hear and Windy tries to only spread the truth. Pom Pom pushers cannot handle it at times.

That is straight truth.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Anglefan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Windy negative?

I mean have you read the Sam Smith's the beat writing world? How about Peter Vescey? Eff even the entire Boston Globe sports section.

Windy shoots straight and tries to not lean one way or another. Anyone that calls him negative is just pissed he isn't a pom pom pushing fan, like someone that states openly today LBJ IS RESIGNING WE KNOT THIS DAMNIT!

Fans want to hear what they want to hear and Windy tries to only spread the truth. Pom Pom pushers cannot handle it at times.

That is straight truth.

Yeah, I wasn't saying anything is wrong with him, it's just the way he is. Cynical is a much better word than negative. He's the only decent beat writer the Cavs have.

He was particularly annoying in this interview though. There is such a thing as going out of your way to appear objective when it really is a pretty black and white situation. Of course we should get Amare if we can. Of course we should give up Hickson to do it. There's no need for 20 minutes of doom and gloom about it.
Anglefan

Unread postby Spin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

So, if the trade happens before the All Star Game tonight, will Amare play for the East?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Anyone that doesn't see the potential risk in this deal (and I am elated about it) is a moron, to be honest.

Amare has had rumors of being a locker room problem in Phoenix lately. Has played out this whole going to a big market to be the star he deserves rumors. Etc. Amare has always been surrounded w/ a good bit of prima donna.

Windy said it as it is.

Deal w/ it.

And he isn't just the only good beat reporter the Cavs have, he is one of the top two in the league. I have my issues w/ him from time to time and he is a bit in love w/ Jamo, but there is risk here and Jamo would be an easier mesh. This is about short versus long time IMO and I have been in the long term camp forever, good to see Ferry is as well.

There is a reason that EVERYONE following or writing about the NBA retweets what Windy tweets, because everyone respects him. No other NBA Beat reporter gets that treatment.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Spin wrote:So, if the trade happens before the All Star Game tonight, will Amare play for the East?

Nothing will happen today period.

It's all over for the day.

Everyone can pack up and go home.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Anglefan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Deal w/ it.

LMAO. That's over the top.

If you can do the deal, you have to do it. This is the last time the Cavs will be able to make a move for a few years. There really isn't a downside honestly. We're not giving up that much and we're not locking ourselves into anything. If he was such a problem to the team, he could sit on the bench and it would still be pretty much the same team as it is now. His "issues" seem overblown though and there's almost no chance it would come to that.
Anglefan

Unread postby neoleo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Mo Williams will never, ever, in a million years be the second option ahead of STAT unless he is enfuego and is just getting hot shooters touches.

The real essentials here would be LBJ continuing his 10+ dime a game nights, as once Mo went down and LBJ went into mad distribution mode JJ started getting more and more open touches.

That said it is inarguable that there are a lot more people to get touches here then in Phoenix and Nash is not really a first option. He's a pure PG looking to dish then shoot. You know this aoxo.

Agreed and my bad for not being clear. If he's enfuego and is getting hot shooters touches, then he becomes option 2a or 2b. Other than that is LBJ, Amare/Shaq, Mo. The point was that no way is Amare 3 or 4 consistently. Only if Shaq is dominating and Mo is insanely hot, but not out of offensive design.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby tired » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Guy's what am I missing here ??? I mean what are the chances of Z making it through waivers ??? It seems to me a team that's in the race would pick him up just so he doesn't come back to the Cav's.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:16 pm

tired wrote:Guy's what am I missing here ??? I mean what are the chances of Z making it through waivers ??? It seems to me a team that's in the race would pick him up just so he doesn't come back to the Cav's.

Doesn't work like that. Phoenix would release him, and he'd be free to sign with any team but the Cavs right away, and after 30 days he could re-sign with the Cavs. No waiver claims involved.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Anglefan wrote:He basically just whined for 20 minutes about how he's not sure if it's a good move. When asked to put a percentage on the likelihood, he just said he spoke to five people yesterday who all said it was going to get done, but he doesn't know. Windy doesn't seem to grasp the fact that this is the Cavs last chance to get an all star caliber player. After Thursday, that's it. We lose our expirings and are already way over the cap for the foreseeable future. So him having admitted that Amare is a better long term solution than Jamison, I don't see why he wouldn't say this is the best move the Cavs can make.

Not necessarily true. Shaq becomes an expiring next year. With how he's playing I doubt we trade him but if he completely breaks down he'd be an incredibly valuable trade piece as an expiring.

Put me firmly in the Amare makes me all tingly camp. Trading JJ for JJ's absolute ceiling. Count me in x 1000.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Anglefan wrote:
Goozer wrote:Bull Shit.

No, you heard wrong. I don't see how anyone could listen to that and not hear the constant negativity.

Look, whatever hard-on you have for Windy is fine, but don't tell us the guy doesn't understand that Thursday is the final day to add all star talent for this season and likely beyond.

It makes you look like a tool.

He gets it regardless of whether you agree with what he says.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Anglefan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:31 pm

I have no idea what he understands. I understand it and you understand it, so what's the big deal?
Anglefan

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Anglefan wrote:I have no idea what he understands. I understand it and you understand it, so what's the big deal?

The big deal is that the guy has long been a respected and trusted source in regard to the Cavaliers. He's regarded as one of the better and more balanced beat writers in the league.

His opinions are defined by his proximity to the organization and the sources he's developed over many years.

To suggest he doesn't understand the most basic concept is more a reflection on you, not him. And it makes it difficult to take your posts seriously.

Listening to the interview I got nothing close to what you took out of it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Anglefan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Really seems like you're just looking for something to be confrontational about. I'm a Cavs fan. I want the team to win a lot of championships. If you're really that upset over one sentence that I typed about my opinion about what a beat reporter's perception is, I am SO sorry. There's no reason I should be putting people through that kind of stress.
Anglefan

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Anglefan wrote:Really seems like you're just looking for something to be confrontational about. I'm a Cavs fan. I want the team to win a lot of championships. If you're really that upset over one sentence that I typed about my opinion about what a beat reporter's perception is, I am SO sorry. There's no reason I should be putting people through that kind of stress.

I'm not being confrontational.

I enjoy the conversation and the opinions here. For the most part they're balanced and well-informed. It seems to me that questionings Windhorst's ability to understand the most basic concepts about the Cavs situation when he's demonstrated clearly that he understands them is more confrontational than me disputing that.

I think most people here would agree with that.

All done with that line of discussion.

I'm a little concerned about this potential deal. Not because of Amare's game. But because I'd hope the Cavs have some indication that Stoudmire is interested in the Cavs long term as opposed to as a three month rental. I'm not as high as JJ as others are, but I do see him as having the ability to play successfully off LBJ and Shaq. Whether Amare is willing to do so remains to be seen but even if he is, I'm not a huge fan of dealing a guy for three months of another.

Selfishly I'm just hoping the Cavs are convinced Stoudemire will both fit in and re-up. Otherwise I'd be more comfortable with getting talent back that doesn't necessarily cost Hickson. Maybe that deal isn't out there and guys like Murphy would cost just as much. If so, I'm torn between standing pat and taking a chance today that may or not pay off this season and beyond.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:10 pm

You pretty much could have set your clock to this report that other clubs have now upped the ante for Amare:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4913834

Cavs might place that artificial deadline on a deal but it's likely to go to the wire for any potential deals.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:29 pm

WojYahooNBA

If Cavs do Amar'e deal, it would surprise many GMs. Unlike Jamison or Murphy, this would be dramatic change for Cavs. Most expected subtle. 11 minutes ago from web

WojYahooNBA

Along those lines, many execs believe Cavs are posturing with Amar'e to get asking prices lowered for Jamison and Murphy. High-stakes poker. 5 minutes ago from web

WojYahooNBA

You have to admire this about Cavs organization: Unlike most of NBA, they're always going for it. They spare no expense to win. 17 minutes ago from web

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:33 pm

Windy threw out the 4th option stuff and it kinda took me aback. He even said he would be the 3rd option at best? No way I see that he is easily the 2abc at worst and the legit number 2nd in the rational world. Shaq has accpeted his role and Mo would be the 3rd option unless he is on fire like eye stated...

Light years beyond our 3-4 of Parker/Hickson...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Wojnarowski will cry himself to sleep if this deal goes down.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:37 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Wojnarowski will cry himself to sleep if this deal goes down.

Nah. He's already setting up his future "LBJ to ?????" crap. ;-) ;) :wink:

WojYahooNBA

Cavs believe this: The best chance to keep LBJ comes with winning title now. They'll make move they think gives them that chance. 31 minutes ago from web

WojYahooNBA

As Y! reported Saturday, LeBron is very behind the Amar'e deal; but there's no sense that comes with assurance it alone gets LBJ to re-sign. 41 minutes ago from web

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Who is this Wojnarowski guy?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:52 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who is this Wojnarowski guy?

Woj has, in the past, written a shit ton of LBJ needs to get out of C-town articles. Not any for awhile now though.

That said, he, like Stein, is damn well connected. Him and Stein probably break the most stories out there right now.

That said, as I said up thread, Broussard doesn't break all that many stories, but the stuff he breaks is almost always 100% dead nuts on.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:00 pm

The Amare thing, the more I think about it, just smells fishy to me. I'd welcome the guy for the distance he'd put between this team with JJ and this team with Amare, but it smells.

By Friday is still think it's a lesser risk they take (in terms of signability, dollars and chemistry).

Just my thoughts.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:38 pm

I didn't see it posted, but the Rizzo-Windy interview is up:

http://www.stationcaster.com/player.php ... 76&f=43176
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby mrburns » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Funny that last year at the deadline we were talking about Amare briefly, then mostly Shaq. One year later, we might have both.

Ferry is smart to try to get a firm answer on Amare early in the week though. He has to bring someone in, whether or not it's Stoudemire.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Chris Mannix weighs in with like 8 tweets in a row:

http://twitter.com/chrismannixsi

It will make teams think twice before gambling. What if Z couldn't re-sign with CLE and wound up in, say, BOS backing up Perkins?
3 minutes ago from web

If Z gets dealt (anywhere) and returns to Cavs in 30-days, NBA MUST change that rule. No player allowed to return to same team after trade
4 minutes ago from web

My point on the 'system' is that the Cavs have played with two natural bigs all season. In PHX, it was one and a bunch of shooters.
12 minutes ago from web

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Cavs do a 180 and take another run at Jamison. This could be Ferry trying to scare Wizards price down
16 minutes ago from web

RT @Hoopdata: @chrismannixsi Phoenix led the league in OffEff last season. Amare-Shaq offensively worked for them. It worked incredibly ...
18 minutes ago from web

Sometimes when you play w/a top defender and a coach who requires D, your own D gets better. May not be Russell, but STAT could get better
18 minutes ago from web

Warns though, that STAT won't get a lot of transition buckets. Points out that CLE's running game are one-man breaks with LBJ and Mo-Will.
22 minutes ago from web

STAT also gives Cavs option to go LBJ at 4, STAT at 5 against Orlando and get out on shooters and D up Howard on perimeter
23 minutes ago from web

Scout also likes STAT's mid-range game. Doesn't have Jamison's range but effective from 15 feet.
24 minutes ago from web

Scout told me today he thinks STAT-Shaq can work because Cleveland O designed for 2 bigs, unlike PHX which puts premium on perimeter players
25 minutes ago from web

Unlikely STAT commits to Cleveland without knowing LeBron would be a Cav. Otherwise, why leave a cushy situation like Phoenix?
27 minutes ago from web

IF Amare deal goes down-one trusted NBA source I talked to isn't so sure it will-AND he signs long term with the CLE, most believe LBJ stays
27 minutes ago from web
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:27 pm

One thing is for sure, this is Ferry's defining moment. He lives and dies with the results of what transpires in the next 5 days.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby comish » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:29 pm

The Cavs winning a TITLE will be his defining moment....trade or no trade.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Windy:

PDcavsinsider: Major reason why the Cavs are a leading contender for Stoudemire: They can get Suns below tax, which would be worth around $10 million.

PDcavsinsider: Also, based on my conversations today, it doesn't sound like Cavs are "close" yet with Suns. Neither side is sure what will happen.

PDcavsinsider: Cavs, I'm told, have four trade options on table and are in process of ranking them. Plus the option to stand pat.

PDcavsinsider: Having options is luxury, right now not many teams are in position to add. They're trying to take advantage but not desperate.

Woj:

WojYahooNBA: Suns waiting on Philly to tell them whether Andre Igoudala will be included with Sam Dalembert for Stoudemire-Barbosa package, sources say.

WojYahooNBA: League source involved in Amar'e talks says he would be "shocked" if Miami could deliver through a third team the young talent Suns want.

WojYahooNBA: To be clear, there's no deal for Suns with Philly unless Iguodala is involved. So far, Philly hasn't been willing to include him.

WojYahooNBA: As things stand now, the Cavs package of Big Z and Hickson is the most viable for Suns, sources say.

WojYahooNBA: Several sources involved have all but ruled out this scenario: Phoenix does nothing and keeps Stoudemire.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Windy does love him some Jamo (in his 30's makes him sound a bit younger than 34):

PDcavsinsider: Also, Cavs are not out of it for Jamison. Wiz can look around but not many teams want a guy in his 30s making $27 mill over next 2.

PDcavsinsider: It isn't just tough finding a trade partner for Jamison,it would be finding an expiring like Cavs have. WAS could be $12m+ under cap w/deal
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:22 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Windy does love him some Jamo (in his 30's makes him sound a bit younger than 34):

PDcavsinsider: Also, Cavs are not out of it for Jamison. Wiz can look around but not many teams want a guy in his 30s making $27 mill over next 2.

PDcavsinsider: It isn't just tough finding a trade partner for Jamison,it would be finding an expiring like Cavs have. WAS could be $12m+ under cap w/deal

I think this is what is going to happen. Makes a lot of sense. Ferry and Kerr are good friends. Why not make this ploy to get better offers from various teams. Suns want Iggy, cavs want Jamison. Smart thinking.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:45 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Mo Williams will never, ever, in a million years be the second option ahead of STAT unless he is enfuego and is just getting hot shooters touches.

We have more options, yep, but I would expect LeBron and Mo to both give up some shots for Amare. Z too, obviously. Immediately, just by taking the shots normally to JJ and Z would put Amare at 12.4 apg. Add a shot or two from LBJ and/or Mo, he's right at where he is now. At a slower pace.

Andy will lose some shots as well when they play with him at 5 and STAT at 4.
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:47 am

BTW, why is Amare's nickname STAT?

Please don't tell me it's as stupid as "he gets a lot of stats".
aoxo1

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:52 am

aoxo1 wrote:BTW, why is Amare's nickname STAT?

Earned the nickname STAT (Standing Tall and Talented) and has that name tattooed on his right arm

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/amare_stoudemire/bio.html
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:58 am

Ziner wrote:

Earned the nickname STAT (Standing Tall and Talented) and has that name tattooed on his right arm

That is awful.
aoxo1

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:07 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Ziner wrote:

That is awful.

Yes, very awful. I am on board for never using that name if he comes to Cleveland. If he doesnt, he deserves to have an awful nickname.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:16 am

geezus, can we please just cut thru all the b.s. rumors and talking head rhetoric and just get this effing amare deal done already??? i'm tired of all the posturing and the blatant attempts at "one-upmanship" by all these reporters trying to out-scoop their competitors. who gives a red rat's ass who breaks the story first??? does it make you more money if you "get it here first???". i don't think so. so what's the point??? i think any reporter who spreads disinformation and is proven to be just a flat-out liar needs to have his press pass revoked!!!
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Cleveland Transplant » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:59 am

Am I the only one that really thinks that getting STAT (or not) isn't going to determine whether Lebron James leaves or not? There seems to be a lot of pressure on Ferry to make this move in order to appease him, but, personally, I felt the the deal with China more or less locked him up here and was a much more important deal in the "Let's keep LBJ in Cleveland" campaign.

I'm indifferent on this trade. If we get him - great. If we don't and we stand pat, I'm fine with that too - I think this team as it is can win it all.
Cleveland Transplant

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:46 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nba-notes15-2010feb15,0,2607531.story

Says the Cavs have a finalized trade on the back-burner of JJ/Z for Troy Murphy.

Don't know how much I believe this but is scares the piss out of me. Wouldn't mind Z straight up for Murphy and JJ/Z for Amare is my first choice. No way in hell would I give up both Z and JJ for Murphy.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:49 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nba-notes15-2010feb15,0,2607531.story

Says the Cavs have a finalized trade on the back-burner of JJ/Z for Troy Murphy.

Don't know how much I believe this but is scares the piss out of me. Wouldn't mind Z straight up for Murphy and JJ/Z for Amare is my first choice. No way in hell would I give up both Z and JJ for Murphy.

Agreed, I cant believe Ferry is dumb enough to trade JJ for Troy Murphy. I wouldnt mind a Wally S&T or Z straight up being bought out, but I would give no talent up for Murphy. I'd rather see him stand pat and take the chance on JJ continuing to develop.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 am

Guy is not even quoting sources there reb. Is saying "reportedly."

Seems like he is trying to spit out the varying reports floating around the internet w/ out reading them.

I mean where in the eff did this LBJ reportedly prefers Jamo crap come from?

Either way, both Woj and Ford had updates today. I don't trust anything Ford reports outside of the draft so I am not going to bother posting it, but Woj pretty much just reiterated the tweets from last night while stating more strongly we were the leaders for STAT, Phoenix hates what Miami has to offer and that Iggy is still not on the table from Philly even though they would prefer him.

Also interestingly he reported that the Cavs had not yet contacted Amare's agent. Which is odd unless LBJ is doing the Amare feel out on his own.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby papacass » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:53 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nba-notes15-2010feb15,0,2607531.story

That doesn't make a ton of sense, unless the Cavs are the absolute lone suitor for Murphy, and the Pacers aren't interested in taking any other calls. Why would the Pacers lock in a deal that might or might not happen, a full three days in advance of the deadline?

And why would the Cavs take themselves out of the running for Jamo or anyone else by carving their Plan B in stone so soon? So much can change over the next three days.

Nothing is finalized yet, on any front.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:57 am

Ziner wrote:

Agreed, I cant believe Ferry is dumb enough to trade JJ for Troy Murphy. I wouldnt mind a Wally S&T or Z straight up being bought out, but I would give no talent up for Murphy. I'd rather see him stand pat and take the chance on JJ continuing to develop.

One's a 21 and 8 guy who you might rent for 3 months and lose. A guy who hasn't always been regarded as the hardest working PF in the league.

The other is a 14 and 10 guy with a couple years left on his deal and who will still be a viable player and threat after this summer.

I can see the allure of AS. I can see the rationale behind Murphy.

I can also see the bubble bursting on JJ when he goes somewhere without two HoFers freeing him up.

peeker643
Duly Noted

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA