Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

LBJ - KD/Westbrook - Some kid from CSU/Cavs - OKC

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

LBJ - KD/Westbrook - Some kid from CSU/Cavs - OKC

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Windy gets it:

PDcavsinsider: Make plans to watch Cavs-Thunder tonight. I personally expect LBJ-Durant matchup to be better than LBJ vs. Kobe. And for years to come.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: LBJ - KD/Westbrook - Some kid from CSU/Cavs - OKC

Unread postby davemanddd » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:40 pm

for all of last season's on-going discussion about "trap" games, i would think this game truly has the makings of a true trap game. the cavs just came off a very huge win against the defending nba champions and have now lost their top 2 point guards to injury so they will be forced to rely upon little-used daniel "boobie" gibson to be their starting point guard against a young up-and-comer like russell westbrook??? yikes!!!

not to mention, the cavs will also probably play the just-signed to a 10-day contract former csu product cedric jackson a certain amount of minutes and he's bound to have some butterflies and unfamiliarity with the personnel will almost certainly cause some turnovers.

meanwhile, kevin durant is a bonafide superstar, still maybe just a tick below our own lebron james, but only because he hasn't been in the league long enough. durant is the real deal. i still scoff at all of the hoopla about him supposedly not being able to lift even 125 lbs when he first came out of college. neither could former ohio state buckeye jay burson, but if you can put the ball in the hoop, who really gives a red rat's ass???

i look for this game to follow the same formula that the cavs have all season in which they score 30+ points in the first quarter and 60+ points in the first half while giving up 25+ points in the first quarter and 50+ points in the first half to the opponent. then, in the 2nd half, the cavs will turn up their defensive intensity while scoring just enough to win 98-94. we can only hope. go cavs!!!

:cavs1:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm no eye' but how can this be a trap game when OKC has one of the best young lineups in the league? Only 4 teams in the East have a better record. IMO, the Cavaliers should, and would if I was coach, abuse them inside. The key is bringin' the defense early and not letting their thoroughbreds get out and run to an early lead. I will be watching this one a little closer seeing as how some here can't stop gushing...

I know the CSU kid probably won't see the court, but damn he has me a little excited about the game, being a CSU alum. Liked his game in the NCAA tourney, and he hasn't done too bad in Erie. Hopefully he gets some garbage time since he is noted for his defense...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Orenthal wrote:I'm no eye' but how can this be a trap game when OKC has one of the best young lineups in the league? Only 4 teams in the East have a better record. IMO, the Cavaliers should, and would if I was coach, abuse them inside. The key is bringin' the defense early and not letting their thoroughbreds get out and run to an early lead. I will be watching this one a little closer seeing as how some here can't stop gushing...

I know the CSU kid probably won't see the court, but damn he has me a little excited about the game, being a CSU alum. Liked his game in the NCAA tourney, and he hasn't done too bad in Erie. Hopefully he gets some garbage time since he is noted for his defense...

Yeah if this is a trap game Brown should be fired. OKC just lost last night and is in a war out West for a playoff spot. Expect them to come in guns blazing.

Gotta abuse Krstic inside, obviously.

Also work noting: Chewy, OKC's own Congo product is going to be a legit player in the league (not an All-Star). Worth watching and praying our project turns more into Euro League High Jumper.

If KD goes off and we don't find a way to control the athleticism and huge PG mismatch this could be not very fun.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:48 pm

On a side note this pic of Crash is outstanding (I also have a man-crush on Crash):

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Orenthal wrote:I know the CSU kid probably won't see the court, but damn he has me a little excited about the game, being a CSU alum. Liked his game in the NCAA tourney, and he hasn't done too bad in Erie. Hopefully he gets some garbage time since he is noted for his defense...

I'm in the same boat. I know I might be crazy but I really think Cedric can help the Cavs. Even outside of my CSU bias, I'm more than a little concerned about the idea of Boobie and AP at the point. The only other option in the back court is Green. With Boobie, Parker, and LeBron starting and Green and Jawad off the bench, its going to be interesting to see how MB works the rotation at the point. Boobie or AP will have to hit the bench early in order to check back in with the second unit as the PG (as Mo Williams usually does). That means Jawad and probably Green are putting up big and meaningful minutes. It also means you'll have a second unit with AP/Boobie, Green and Jawad on the floor together. Yuck.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:00 pm

NEOLeo wrote:
Orenthal wrote:I know the CSU kid probably won't see the court, but damn he has me a little excited about the game, being a CSU alum. Liked his game in the NCAA tourney, and he hasn't done too bad in Erie. Hopefully he gets some garbage time since he is noted for his defense...

I'm in the same boat. I know I might be crazy but I really think Cedric can help the Cavs. Even outside of my CSU bias, I'm more than a little concerned about the idea of Boobie and AP at the point. The only other option in the back court is Green. With Boobie, Parker, and LeBron starting and Green and Jawad off the bench, its going to be interesting to see how MB works the rotation at the point. Boobie or AP will have to hit the bench early in order to check back in with the second unit as the PG (as Mo Williams usually does). That means Jawad and probably Green are putting up big and meaningful minutes. It also means you'll have a second unit with AP/Boobie, Green and Jawad on the floor together. Yuck.

Mike Browns ALWAYS tries to change his rotation as little as possible when peeps get hurt (see Jawad getting minutes when Moon went down instead of proven commodity Boobie). Look for Jackson to be the backup PG, IMO. Maybe not tonight but ASAP.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Mike Browns ALWAYS tries to change his rotation as little as possible when peeps get hurt (see Jawad getting minutes when Moon went down instead of proven commodity Boobie). Look for Jackson to be the backup PG, IMO. Maybe not tonight but ASAP.

Same thing I've been telling my CSU friends. I just wish it was tonight as Moon coming back in Miami and West probably only missing a few games, I could see MB making due for the short term and I selfishly want to see my friend get in the game.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:14 pm

NEOLeo wrote:and I selfishly want to see my friend get in the game.

My friend plays for the Cavs, still can't get over how awesome that is. Can't wait to see him in the uni. Sorry back to the thread. . .
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:14 pm

NEOLeo wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Mike Browns ALWAYS tries to change his rotation as little as possible when peeps get hurt (see Jawad getting minutes when Moon went down instead of proven commodity Boobie). Look for Jackson to be the backup PG, IMO. Maybe not tonight but ASAP.

Same thing I've been telling my CSU friends. I just wish it was tonight as Moon coming back in Miami and West probably only missing a few games, I could see MB making due for the short term and I selfishly want to see my friend get in the game.

So you are boys w/ Jackson?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
NEOLeo wrote:

Swerb and I had him on the podcast last March. After the Eric Snow debacle I prepared about 20 questions to make sure any answers of, "Mumble...umm...you know...yeah" would at least leave me prepared with something else to talk about.

Didn't need it. Jackson was well-schooled by Gary Waters and the CSU people and was articulate and engaging. Couldn't help but like the guy after listening to him.

FWIW anyway.

Eric Snow? A guy that talked for a living on NBA TV? Worst interview ever.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:21 pm

To be fair E Snow has had to work diligently to just be tolerable on NBA TV.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:23 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
NEOLeo wrote:

I know him very well from my time at CSU. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. I remember back to the year he sat out as a transfer (we sucked) and he vowed that CSU basketball was going to be different once he had a chance to play (it was). He was the type of guy that ran stadium steps at the Wolstein Center by himself just to be sure he was in tip top shape.

He's a humble guy and a hard worker who happens to take pride in his defense. I think he fits in pretty well with the Cavs.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:To be fair E Snow has had to work diligently to just be tolerable on NBA TV.

Fucking guy should be a mime.

His oratory skills rival his jump shot.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:On a side note this pic of Crash is outstanding (I also have a man-crush on Crash):

FAIL.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Mike Brown sure gushed over Boobie in the pre game.

Gotta wonder how a guy that dedicated, improved, talented and prepared is buried w/o injuries to Schizo-Mo and Trigger. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 pm

3 starting PGs in 3 games takes a toll on continuity and flow.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Looking ugly so far... OKC shooting horrible %, and we throwing the ball to the crowd.

Hickson is just painful to watch, only bailed out by insane athletic tools...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Danny Green up off the bench early. I'd like to see him play well.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Orenthal wrote:Looking ugly so far... OKC shooting horrible %, and we throwing the ball to the crowd.

OKC is not a good shooting team. And Westbrook, for as much potential as he has, has a bad tendency to have six turnover games weekly.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:22 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Looking ugly so far... OKC shooting horrible %, and we throwing the ball to the crowd.

OKC is not a good shooting team. And Westbrook, for as much potential as he has, has a bad tendency to have six turnover games weekly.

lol. You failed at posting a picture, it was only a red X. That's sad.

I'm going to remind you of your pathetic failure many many times.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:24 pm

"Hot Wad showing off his deep stroke."
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby just another fool » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:24 pm

how wad williams for 3...................................
just another fool

Favorite Player: tyrone hill
Least Favorite Player: tyrone hill

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:25 pm

How does any 'PG' fuck up a 3:1 break THAT badly??

Just play the game Daniel. Quit trying to manage it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Peeker643 wrote:How does any 'PG' fuck up a 3:1 break THAT badly??

Boobie is good at one thing, stand still spot up jumpers. He's a 6-1 Danny Ferry.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:34 pm

NEOLeo wrote:

Boobie is good at one thing, stand still spot up jumpers. He's a 6-1 Danny Ferry.

I'll give him a bit more credit. He can occasionally get the ball to the rim and he's worked hard not to be a cipher on defense. But as far as ball handling and anything else, he's terrible.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:42 pm

AC is on fire!

"When in doubt, turn the lights out..... at the Q!"
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:43 pm

That was a quick little run to get it to 13.

CJ gets his first NBA minute as well. Congrats to him.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:AC is on fire!

I wish this were literally true.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:53 pm

CDT, it's not my fault you are a crappy poster that wishes he was me and has man love for Austin Carr!

It takes a truly little man to run image posting smack! Especially since it's not my fault the twitpic website won't allow image posting. Why don't you grow little man!? Or are you just mad your boss made you put extra grease in the friar!?!?

Loser!!!

One more outburst like that and you're going in my sig!

Little man!

I was an academic all American at an elite school and I run a 7:30 mile! Don't make me knock your teeth out!!!

hee-hee!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:56 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:CDT, it's not my fault you are a crappy poster that wishes he was me and has man love for Austin Carr!

It takes a truly little man to run image posting smack! Especially since it's not my fault the twitpic website won't allow image posting. Why don't you grow little man!? Or are you just mad your boss made you put extra grease in the friar!?!?

Loser!!!

Little man!

I was an academic all American at an elite school and I run a 7:30 mile! Don't make me knock your teeth out!!!

hee-hee!!!

Christ,

You forgot a quote box and different size/color font again. That would have completed the picture nicely IMO.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:57 pm

The quote box anyway.

Editor.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Peeker643 wrote:That was a quick little run to get it to 13.

CJ gets his first NBA minute as well. Congrats to him.

Cedric with stifling defense to lead the run lol (Not that LeBron had anything to do with it). Cavs now +6 with C-Jack on the floor.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:06 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
NEOLeo wrote:

I'll give him a bit more credit. He can occasionally get the ball to the rim and he's worked hard not to be a cipher on defense. But as far as ball handling and anything else, he's terrible.

And yes I was exaggerating but you can pretty much call whether his shot is going in based on if he dribbled before hand or not. He's got to be a >25% shooter when he's forced to put it on the floor first. He's also a bad dribbler and a bad decision maker with the ball in his hands. Not a good skill set for a 6-1 guard.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:CDT, it's not my fault you are a crappy poster that wishes he was me and has man love for Austin Carr!

Loser!!!

Little man!

hee-hee!!!

That's it.

We're going to get in a fist fight.

The old fashioned kind, where I punch you more than you punch me.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:23 pm

If they work hard maybe they can keep them under 40 this quarter.
Last edited by daddywags on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daddywags

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:25 pm

This will get annoying but I don't care.

Cavs now plus 8 with Jackson on the floor.

He wasn't Horizon League defensive player of the year for no reason.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Dude...... WTF?

I leave to get beer and now we're losing?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Dude...... WTF?

I leave to get beer and now we're losing?

Another byproduct of your drinking problem.

Wondering where it ends with that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Didn't they want Westbrook to take that 3? Isn't that the worst part of his game? Make him shoot from long range; don't let him put the ball on the floor.
daddywags

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:00 pm

31 minutes of play and your starting PG has zero assists.

Just sayin'.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Make your free throws you poofy hair freak!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Bang!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hugerobot » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:02 pm

HOLY SHIT BOOBIE!
hugerobot

Favorite Player: Lebron James
Least Favorite Player: Derek Anderson

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:02 pm

So he can't pass or handle the ball..... I love that little guy. :hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby tired » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:03 pm

My friggn nerves are shot
Do you do drugs? Good!
tired

Favorite Player: I dunno
Least Favorite Player: Boozer

Unread postby hugerobot » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:04 pm

this might piss eeyore off but GET THAT WEAK STUFF OUTTA HERE YOUNG MAN
hugerobot

Favorite Player: Lebron James
Least Favorite Player: Derek Anderson

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:07 pm

hugerobot wrote:this might piss eeyore off but GET THAT WEAK STUFF OUTTA HERE YOUNG MAN

He wakes up angry. You're good. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:It takes a truly little man to run image posting smack!
Loser!!!
Little man!

Careful, eye, you're sounding like spongebob now.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:46 pm

I had the game on the radio in the car for only the 4th quarter, then got home to watch the last 5 mins. I know Shaq was having possibly his best game of the year, but how many FTs does a guy have to miss in a row before you way the pros and cons of his worth late in the game?

I know that everyone else was missing FTs too, but Shaq shooting a FT is the same as a TO. Maybe MB is trying to show Shaq that he confidence in him in this situation, but Shaq is what he is. He has constantly proven to be a liability in end game situations on the FT line. A vote of confidence isn't gonna all of a sudden change this.

Isn't Shaq's job to get the team in the bonus, and then Z comes in to take advantage of it and shoot those FTs?

Again, didn't see or hear most of the game. Am I missing something??

And was LBJs block of Durant absolutely sick. LBJ is a freak of nature, who finds new ways to amaze us every night.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA