Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs - Lake Show II

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Cavs - Lake Show II

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:27 am

I'm not sure if this was mentioned at all during the broadcast last night or not. I believe this was the first game of an 8 game road trip for the Lakers.

Amazing! ;-) ;) :wink:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 am

khetti wrote:Worried about Brother Redz' finger injury. It's his left hand, so hopefully nothing too serious... :gah:

Not sure if you're being facetious here, khetti, but you know Delonte is a southpaw, correct?

Edit: waitaminit, I think I misread that. You're saying "the injury is on his left hand, his shooting hand, so hopefully it is not serious." I read it as "it is on his left hand, his non-shooting hand, so it won't be that serious."

Interpretation fail. Continue about your business, everyone, nothing to see here.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby Shadow Scars » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 pm

I honestly would have bet my pay check that we were gonna lose last night. I'm glad our boys proved me wrong. What a game! LBJ did to that 4th quarter what Kobe does to hotel workers.. He raped it. Great show.

My favorite part was when they were talking about how awesome Boobie, AP, and Mo have been for 3 and The Frat commented that Z has the highest 3pt percentage on the team and right after that Z drained one! haha! Classic.
Shadow Scars

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:06 pm

I absolutely did not notice Kobe playing Delonte for a majority of the time.

I may be wrong, but I would think something like that would have stuck out.

Anyhow, Dwyers recap:

It's only just one of 82. Honest. That's what I have to keep telling myself.
That with Mo Williams(notes) out, Kobe Bryant(notes) hurting (and sitting), and the Cavs really gunning for a Thursday night win while Phil Jackson seemingly gunned for patience and the long haul, this game was an exercise in scouting fodder for us. Nothing more.
And I've gone back and forth on what to write about this game, straying from declarative statements to dismissive write-offs and no points in between. At this point, with deadline approaching, let me just tell you what I do know — I am so, so glad I have this one stuck on the Tivo.

The Cavs really wanted this, and while I'm not going to tell you that the Lakers did not, this was obviously something that was more important to Cleveland. Hurt by the way the Lakers dominated Cleveland last season, and the recent news that Mo Williams might be out until it's time to fill out our NCAA brackets, the Cavs needed a pick-me-up.

What they got was LeBron James(notes), dominating. Dominating as best he could — that shot selection (why so many threes?) and Ron Artest's(notes) upper body got in the way at times — but dominating nonetheless. And all the pretty, impressive shots from Kobe Bryant early faded as LeBron piled up the dishes, and the points.

It's a team game, but you can't help but follow the Kobe vs. LeBron thing, a battle that some think still rages. Kobe's been a small step behind LeBron for a few years now, he doesn't contribut as much overall, and what he does contribute comes at a far less efficient rate than James, but some still cling to the idea of Kobe as an equal measure due to the fact that Kobe ... well, he's Kobe. They never did really make sense as to why he's supposedly as good.
He wasn't as good on Thursday, shooting 4-15 in the second half, and 12-31 overall. That's 23-64 against the Cavaliers on the year, and while playing with four working fingers on his shooting hand hurts these things (to say nothing of his flu, and back spasms), LeBron's just better right now. And that's OK. You have the best team in the league to follow, Lakers nutters. And the best team doesn't always have to feature the best player.

Huge parts of that best team struggled. Pau Gasol(notes) looked good for stretches, you'd wonder why the Lakers didn't get him the ball more, but he missed nine of 14 shots and a pair of big free throws late. Andrew Bynum(notes) wasn't a factor, Ron Artest missed seven of 10 shots and six of eight three-pointers, and it was a wonder the Lakers were even in this game on the road against a team like the Cavs.
Some will be upset at the way Phil Jackson kept Bryant on the bench for so long in the fourth quarter, sitting him for seven minutes to start. It was odd, but the Lakers were only -1 overall in that stretch with Kobe on the pine. And the Lakers are planning on playing until mid-June. So, I'm cool with that.

You just have to give it to the Cavs. Actually, you don't have to, because they took it. James scored 37 on 25 shots, he missed a key free throw late (Anderson Varejao(notes) was fouled tracking down the offensive rebound) but dished nine assists, and his defense was solid.

The cold water? Williams is out for a spell, and Delonte West(notes) could be out for just as long with an injury to his shooting hand. Sorry for the downs, but this could be an in-season highlight before the Cavs stumble until the end of the regular season. Something to look back on fondly ("by January 22nd, the Cavs had just come off an in-season sweep of the Lakers, and were four games up in the East, but injuries ...") before the bad news hit.

For now, though? Much respect, for both teams. Kobe's going to have to back off a bit, and stop putting his teammates on blast. He has a top-heavy team, we know the bench is no help, but his helpers at the top need consistent looks in the post. Merely giving this guy credit for playing through the injuries? Those days have to end. Kobe has to play like someone playing through injuries. He's going to have to stop taking 25+ shots. On this team, he should never have to take that many.

And Phil Jackson is thinking long-term, which is fantastic. As someone who hated it in winter and ... well, there was no "spring" in the regular season in Chicago; but as someone who couldn't stand the tinkering as a Bulls fan, every year you saw it pay off in the playoffs. Nobody likes to be patient, but everyone likes a winner. And the Lakers are still the class of this league.

The Cavs? They wanted it, and they took it, and it was great to watch. Here's hoping they can circle the wagons with a guard or two on the bench.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:21 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I absolutely did not notice Kobe playing Delonte for a majority of the time.

I had to look twice at the screen when I first saw it too. It seemed everytime West crossed center court, Mamba was right there on his hip. Looks like Phil was trying to get his best defender to disrupt the offensive flow.

Windy backs it up..
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/01/la_lakers_at_cleveland_cavalie.html

* Kobe Bryant has played smothering defense on Cavs guard Delonte West and has taken him out of the game. Lakers coach Phil Jackson hinted this morning that they were going to adjust their defense for this game. I suspect, but don't know, that the Lakers would've had Bryant guard Mo Williams if he played.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I absolutely did not notice Kobe playing Delonte for a majority of the time.

I had to look twice at the screen when I first saw it too. It seemed everytime West crossed center court, Mamba was right there on his hip. Looks like Phil was trying to get his best defender to disrupt the offensive flow.

Windy backs it up..
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/01/la_lakers_at_cleveland_cavalie.html

* Kobe Bryant has played smothering defense on Cavs guard Delonte West and has taken him out of the game. Lakers coach Phil Jackson hinted this morning that they were going to adjust their defense for this game. I suspect, but don't know, that the Lakers would've had Bryant guard Mo Williams if he played.

Word.

Bald dudes from a distance can be confusing. One of the few problems w/ watching on only a 32 inch TV.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Rome was pimping Hickson a half hours a go.

I'm still not sold on him yet. Yeah he had 14 board and 11 points, but I still think he's a long way off from being a good NBA player. Still very raw. Him missing on dunks quite often is an example of that, That's not to say I havn't liked what I've seen from his thus far.
Last edited by Triple-S on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:46 pm

How about Brown resisting the urge to throw out the Twin Tower defense last night? You know it was killing him seeing it worked so well in LA.

At least this puts some questions in the Lakers as they were beat twice by the Cavs with 2 different defensive looks.

I do like what he did against Bean by playing him man on man in the first half and most of the 3rd. Then in the 4th doubling him with a big man and forcing Bryant to take bad shots. At that point Bryant had lost all faith in his teammates.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Triple-S wrote:Rome was pimping Hickson a half hours a go.

I'm still not sold on him yet. Yeah he had 14 board and 11 points, but I still think he's a long way off from being a good NBA player. Still very raw. Him missing on dunks quite often is an example of that, That's not to say I havn't liked what I've seen from his thus far.

I still think that JJ plays way too fast to the game going on around him. He looked good last night and had alot of energy. His biggest issue is that he still gets lost at times on defense, then tries to make up for it w/ athleticism and picks up unnecessary fouls. He also needs to start taking that 12-15 jumper teams give him. They just collapse off of him when he wanders out of the lane.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Rome was pimping Hickson a half hours a go.

I still think that JJ plays way too fast to the game going on around him. He looked good last night and had alot of energy. His biggest issue is that he still gets lost at times on defense, then tries to make up for it w/ athleticism and picks up unnecessary fouls. He also needs to start taking that 12-15 jumper teams give him. They just collapse off of him when he wanders out of the lane.

JJ can jump and is quick.

He does nothing else well.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby diminishingskills » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:He also needs to start makingthat 12-15 jumper teams give him.

Fixed.

Agree with your post otherwise. I am still officially a J.J. Skeptic, but he had a good game last night.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:I'm not sure if this was mentioned at all during the broadcast last night or not. I believe this was the first game of an 8 game road trip for the Lakers.

The annual Grammy trip for both the Lakers and Clippers. For the next two weeks, the Staples Center will be commandeered by the folks who put on the Grammy Awards. Unlike the Cavs and other East teams, who can take their Western trips in two chunks, the L.A. varsity and JV need to take their Eastern trips in one fell swoop.

Both the Lakers and Clippers plow right into the teeth of the East the next two weeks. Lake Show is in Boston in a few nights. Clips have to play the Cavs, Celtics and Hawks on their trip. Clips come to town on Jan. 31, a week from Sunday.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Papa Cass wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:I'm not sure if this was mentioned at all during the broadcast last night or not. I believe this was the first game of an 8 game road trip for the Lakers.

The annual Grammy trip for both the Lakers and Clippers. For the next two weeks, the Staples Center will be commandeered by the folks who put on the Grammy Awards. Unlike the Cavs and other East teams, who can take their Western trips in two chunks, the L.A. varsity and JV need to take their Eastern trips in one fell swoop.

Both the Lakers and Clippers plow right into the teeth of the East the next two weeks. Lake Show is in Boston in a few nights. Clips have to play the Cavs, Celtics and Hawks on their trip. Clips come to town on Jan. 31, a week from Sunday.

I know, I was just playing the smartass role. ;-) ;) :wink:
Believe me, every chance Marv and the gang had to mention it, they did. Like it's the first year the Grammy's have been held there.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Shoals once again puts it better and more cleverly than anyone else:
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/01/22/what ... vs-lebron/
When we compare them, difference is assumed, right down to the tone of their game. It's not a question of who creates more efficiently (Bron), or which guy has more saboteur's tricks up his sleeve (Kobe), but which vision of sports you prefer. The evasive, strictly-business, contract killer ethos of Bryant, the one that makes you feel like basketball is all about cultivated terror, or LeBron's wide-open celebration of making plays, putting away games because it feels good, and knowing that a demi-god could walk among us and want nothing more than to go back to his locker room and burst out laughing.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:31 pm

bookelly wrote:Kobe is a lot more hurt than he's letting on...

If he were, trust, we'd ALL know about it.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:16 pm

He can a shooter that is struggling w/ his shot that is toting around a broken index finger on his shooting hand, a dinged up pinky, a bad back and just got over the flu be MORE hurt?

You want him in a freaking walking boot?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:He can a shooter that is struggling w/ his shot that is toting around a broken index finger on his shooting hand, a dinged up pinky, a bad back and just got over the flu be MORE hurt?

Not saying he's not hurt or that he's not a warrior; he is, and having some sort of malady (real, or imagined, or real but imagined to be realer)seems important to Mambo #8. He thrives on playing hurt.

My point was more that if he so much as stubbed his toe, the Cheryl's-brothers-of-the-world would inundate us with praise of him "rising above" his injury or use it as convenient excuse for any struggles. (Same vein as Kobes slipping on the floor in lieu of buckling as a result of 'brons xover.)

Where I stand? He's hurt. He's awesome. He's a prick. I don't like him.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:He can a shooter that is struggling w/ his shot that is toting around a broken index finger on his shooting hand, a dinged up pinky, a bad back and just got over the flu be MORE hurt?

Not saying he's not hurt or that he's not a warrior; he is, and having some sort of malady (real, or imagined, or real but imagined to be realer)seems important to Mambo #8. He thrives on playing hurt.

My point was more that if he so much as stubbed his toe, the Cheryl's-brothers-of-the-world would inundate us with praise of him "rising above" his injury or use it as convenient excuse for any struggles. (Same vein as Kobes slipping on the floor in lieu of buckling as a result of 'brons xover.)

The more I watched Kobe the past few years the more I have moved on the spectrum from hate to love. Not there yet, but it's coming.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Hi Oktane wrote:

The more I watched Kobe the past few years the more I have moved on the spectrum from hate to love. Not there yet, but it's coming.

It's a similar arc to Jordan, for me at least. The hatred at first (for Jordan, destroying Cleveland, for Kobe, just being an entitled douche) that leads to overall respect for their game over time.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 pm

aoxo1 wrote:The more I watched Kobe the past few years the more I have moved on the spectrum from hate to love. Not there yet, but it's coming.

Don't get me wrong ao, I appreciate and am awed by his game. Amazing. (What we see of) his personality, otoh, is just too off-putting to "love".

Edited to add: In fairness, if he were to be traded to CLE tomorrow, I'd be in line behind Cass to buy his jersey.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA