Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

No Dunk Contest for Lebron

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: No Dunk Contest for Lebron

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Normally I'd be on Lebron's case but that lineup isn't even worth his time.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:15 pm

That event should be taken out back, shot in the head and dropped in a dumpster.

Can't wait to see guys like Rolando Blackman, Mark Aguirre and Sam Perkins clowning with the score cards after Nate Robinson dunks over a trash can.

Always fresh.

:thud:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:16 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Normally I'd be on Lebron's case but that lineup isn't even worth his time.

Exactly the dunk contest is stupid and the only way to bring it back is to get Wade, Lebron, Howard and Durant (or those type of players) in it. The only time I see Robinson all year are the dunk contest highlights on SC, that way they cut out the 10 failed attempts and I dont have to suffer through them.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Peeker643 wrote:That event should be taken out back, shot in the head and dropped in a dumpster.

Can't wait to see guys like Rolando Blackman, Mark Aguirre and Sam Perkins clowning with the score cards after Nate Robinson dunks over a trash can.

Always fresh.

Exactly. Only way to make this event less fresh is have Chrisr Berman and his tired act announcing.

So, last year, it just so happens that the guy in the Super Man costume got heads up with the guy dressed like kryptonite? Man, lucky that worked out.

Pro wrasslin' is less set-up than the NBA All-Star game and it's festivities.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:That event should be taken out back, shot in the head and dropped in a dumpster.

Always fresh.

Exactly. Only way to make this event less fresh is have Chrisr Berman and his tired act announcing.

So, last year, it just so happens that the guy in the Super Man costume got heads up with the guy dressed like kryptonite? Man, lucky that worked out.

Still hoping Pac-Man has a block of rooms locked up right in the middle of it all though. Half way between th clubs and the stadium would be perfect.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:

Always fresh.

Still hoping Pac-Man has a block of rooms locked up right in the middle of it all though. Half way between th clubs and the stadium would be perfect.

Pac and Gil in some sort of duel, with Blazing Saddles ten gallons on.

Now that I would watch.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Do you guys think it big starts like DWade and Melo were in it LeBron would be too?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Do you guys think it big starts like DWade and Melo were in it LeBron would be too?

Melo doesn't have the hops for a dunk contest.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Shadow Scars » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Well he shouldn't have said he'd do it on national television then. Any word on the 3 point shoot out lineup? You would think at least Boobie, Parker, or Williams would make that cut..
Shadow Scars

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:27 pm

The dunk contest should be the sole property of the guys who need the exposure. Think Harold Miner and Cedric Ceballos. Call it the "Rising Stars Dunk Contest" if need be, but that showcase is so far beneath the level of guys like LBJ, D-Wade, Melo and Dewey, it's not even funny.

I don't know if Bron is really dunk contest material anyway. He's as athletic as anyone out there, but his dunking game is straight-up power. Dude is an asteroid when he's airborne, and his throwdowns make craters. He's not really a "throw-it-down-under-one-leg-while-blowing-out-a-candle-on-the-rim" kind of dunker. His dunking awesomeness is in the sheer ability to get all that mass airborne and bring it down with seismic force.

I don't need to see dipsy-doo stuff from LBJ. I want to see him take off from just inside the FT line and bring it down so hard on whichever poor sap happens to be in the way, that LBJ haunts his dreams for the next month. That's what sets LBJ apart as a dunker. He doesn't dunk in watercolor. He dunks with a hammer and chisel.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 pm

'Nique got hosed in '88.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Papa Cass wrote:The dunk contest should be the sole property of the guys who need the exposure. Think Harold Miner and Cedric Ceballos. Call it the "Rising Stars Dunk Contest" if need be, but that showcase is so far beneath the level of guys like LBJ, D-Wade, Melo and Dewey, it's not even funny.

I don't know if Bron is really dunk contest material anyway. He's as athletic as anyone out there, but his dunking game is straight-up power. Dude is an asteroid when he's airborne, and his throwdowns make craters. He's not really a "throw-it-down-under-one-leg-while-blowing-out-a-candle-on-the-rim" kind of dunker. His dunking awesomeness is in the sheer ability to get all that mass airborne and bring it down with seismic force.

I don't need to see dipsy-doo stuff from LBJ. I want to see him take off from just inside the FT line and bring it down so hard on whichever poor sap happens to be in the way, that LBJ haunts his dreams for the next month. That's what sets LBJ apart as a dunker. He doesn't dunk in watercolor. He dunks with a hammer and chisel.

Huh.

http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/rising_stars/
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Papa Cass wrote:The dunk contest should be the sole property of the guys who need the exposure. Think Harold Miner and Cedric Ceballos. Call it the "Rising Stars Dunk Contest" if need be, but that showcase is so far beneath the level of guys like LBJ, D-Wade, Melo and Dewey, it's not even funny.

Huh.

http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/rising_stars/

Well, there you go. Gerald Green is the perfect champ for that type of competition.
papacass

Unread postby Juannieboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:55 am

TouchEmAllTime wrote:'Nique got hosed in '88.

Ahhhh back in the day! Completely concur with your terse statement. At least it was the stars of the NBA and worth watching.
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:27 am

Besides, if he went against the jokers that are in it this year, he'd win just cause he's Lebron.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:28 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

Besides, if he went against the jokers that are in it this year, he'd win just cause he's Lebron.

I'm not saying he can't do the dipsy-doo stuff. I'm saying that's not the element that makes him a great dunker.
papacass

Unread postby jordan kramer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:05 pm

he announced that he was gonna do it last year and got the crowd/non-cynical NBA fans excited. and now he's going back on his statement? why? because he and nike are scared of him losing to that midget nate robinson. losing to nate robinson, demar derosan (???), and gerald wallece would be pretty embarrassing for bron and nike, so he is pretty much running scared. if dwight or wade woulda competed LBJ prolly woulda competed too cuz theres no shame in losing to another hall of famer. but losing to kryptonate(horrible nickname)/derosan/wallace would be the equivalent of getting dunked on by some no-name atlantic-10 baller. and being live on national t.v. i doubt nike would be able to steal the tapes fast enough to sweep it under the rug
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Nowadays the NBA dunk contest is won with props. Do we really need to see LBJ jump over Whammer or pull a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave 45 cents change? If the dunk contest was like it was back in the 80's then I'd say go for it. Now? Every type of dunk has been done (for the most part). Maybe change it by having 3 defenders out there and I think James is in a class by himself.

I think James said he'd participate last year because it was the heat of the moment. But what does he have to gain if he beats this years participants? If he would lose than people can say he was dunking to the level of his competition. All I know is I have no reason now to waste a night in front of the tv that Saturday.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jordan kramer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote: Maybe change it by having 3 defenders out there

i love this idea
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

jordan kramer

Unread postby Cease » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:06 pm

He called his shot and is now backing out. In the grand scheme, no big deal. But, IMO, he should have followed through. Win or lose, he gets to show his stuff, compete, have fun and try to save what used to be a highlight of AllStar Weekend.

Would have liked to see him just go hammer home some dunks ala 'nique. No BS, just athletic power dunks.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Windy said on his Twitter that LBJ now holds court with the media after he gets out of the shower. Gives him a cooling-off period so he doesn't say things in the heat of the moment, because he does tend to go back on what he says in the moment.

He did it with the slam dunk contest, and there is reason to believe the whole switching numbers to honor MJ thing might not come to pass.

So if LeBron says "I love the Cavs and I'll never play for another NBA team" five seconds after a huge win, I guess we should worry.
papacass

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Papa Cass wrote:Windy said on his Twitter that LBJ now holds court with the media after he gets out of the shower. Gives him a cooling-off period so he doesn't say things in the heat of the moment, because he does tend to go back on what he says in the moment.

lol. I can just see the brainless Cleveland media standing outside the shower with baited breath, just waiting to blow LBJ as soon as he emerges.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Nowadays the NBA dunk contest is won with props. Do we really need to see LBJ jump over Whammer or pull a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave 45 cents change? If the dunk contest was like it was back in the 80's then I'd say go for it. Now? Every type of dunk has been done (for the most part). Maybe change it by having 3 defenders out there and I think James is in a class by himself.

I think James said he'd participate last year because it was the heat of the moment. But what does he have to gain if he beats this years participants? If he would lose than people can say he was dunking to the level of his competition. All I know is I have no reason now to waste a night in front of the tv that Saturday.

Whammer, I remember that polar bear guy... Moondog is crying in the corner!
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:52 am

I really could give to shits about all this, but here:

PDcavsinsider: Shaq says he'll get LeBron to do dunk contest if Vince Carter & Kobe take part and there's prize money with half going to Haiti. (about 1 hour ago from web)

PDcavsinsider: Shaq: "The guys that are in it, no disrespect to them, but they wouldn't really be any competition for LeBron."

PDcavsinsider: Shaq: "Vince, we're calling you out. Kobe, we're calling you out. Tweet it, Facebook it, get it out there." Yes sir, Mr. Shaq, sir. (43 minutes ago from web)
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:28 am

Most non-Cavaliers fans hate LeBron and want him to fail at every opportunity. Either they're a.) jealous of him b.) think he's overhyped, c.) are Kobe honks or d.) are just haters in general. Either way, they can't stand him and they live for the times he doesn't measure up (walking off the floor in Orlando, getting dunked on by the kid from Xavier, etc.)

The last thing LeBron should do is participate in some dog-and-pony show for the benefit of people who despise him. If he beats the collection of scrubs he'd be going up against, either a.) he was supposed to win anyway, so who cares or b.) it was rigged. If he loses he faces the venom and ridicule from the 80 percent of NBA fans who hate him. There's just nothing in it for him.

I don't think he should participate in the All-Star Game either. The fans outside of Cleveland can go get fucked AFAIC. He owes them nothing.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:43 am

HermanFontenot wrote:Most non-Cavaliers fans hate LeBron and want him to fail at every opportunity. Either they're a.) jealous of him b.) think he's overhyped, c.) are Kobe honks or d.) are just haters in general. Either way, they can't stand him and they live for the times he doesn't measure up (walking off the floor in Orlando, getting dunked on by the kid from Xavier, etc.)

The last thing LeBron should do is participate in some dog-and-pony show for the benefit of people who despise him. If he beats the collection of scrubs he'd be going up against, either a.) he was supposed to win anyway, so who cares or b.) it was rigged. If he loses he faces the venom and ridicule from the 80 percent of NBA fans who hate him. There's just nothing in it for him.

I don't think he should participate in the All-Star Game either. The fans outside of Cleveland can go get fucked AFAIC. He owes them nothing.

You spend too much time on message boards w/ idiots. Most of my Celtics and Lake Show fan friends who are all diehards admit LBJ is the best in the biz at this point (though a different best than Kobe, no one can take a team apart mentally like Kobe). Even my boy that has openly said he would cheer for whatever team Kobe went to if he left because he loves Kobe that much.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:56 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:Most non-Cavaliers fans hate LeBron and want him to fail at every opportunity. Either they're a.) jealous of him b.) think he's overhyped, c.) are Kobe honks or d.) are just haters in general. Either way, they can't stand him and they live for the times he doesn't measure up (walking off the floor in Orlando, getting dunked on by the kid from Xavier, etc.)

You spend too much time on message boards w/ idiots. Most of my Celtics and Lake Show fan friends who are all diehards admit LBJ is the best in the biz at this point (though a different best than Kobe, no one can take a team apart mentally like Kobe). Even my boy that has openly said he would cheer for whatever team Kobe went to if he left because he loves Kobe that much.

Bron is a threat to the C's and Lake Show, so of course they're going to hate. Sports are competitive, and blind you to logic at times. Also remember that a lot of the humps who try to cut LBJ down are 15, or have the maturity level thereof.

In my younger, more insolent days, I thought MJ was garbage because he beat the Cavs all the time. You could never convince me that he was the best player ever. Only when I got a little older and started to gain an overall appreciation for the game of basketball did I start to understand what MJ meant.

And if we're talking about LBJ haters in the media, they can go down a few more dogs in the media dining room and make an angioplasty appointment in advance. I have no desire to read, hear or see any of their work.
papacass

Unread postby jordan kramer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 am

and the funny thing is all those lebron haters would fellatio him to join their team next summer

jordan kramer

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 am

jordan kramer wrote:and the funny thing is all those lebron haters would fellatio him to join their team next summer

Fellatio is a noun.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 am

For the same reason there is nothing in it for LeBron, there sure as hell is nothing in it for Kobe and Carter to go up against LeBron. These guys can give relief money to Haiti on their own they do not need a dunk contest in which they get embarrassed by LBJ to give away money. Kobe and Vince do not have the hops they once did to out duel LeBron right now.

IMO there is no doubt LeBron should pass on this, however there is no doubt he should play in the ASG. I don't see what makes him so special as to not play in it (as Herm suggests) when all the other stars will and have for the past 30 years.

IMO LeBron takes the AS game itself serious, he loves to compete against all the best, he wants those ASG MVP's.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
jordan kramer wrote:and the funny thing is all those lebron haters would fellatio him to join their team next summer

Fellatio is a noun.

:lmfao:
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm

FUDU wrote:however there is no doubt he should play in the ASG. I don't see what makes him so special as to not play in it (as Herm suggests) when all the other stars will and have for the past 30 years.

He should skip the ASG as a "fuck you" to the haters.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Good. Not worth risking an injury.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson