Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Leon Powe

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Leon Powe

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Article on the front page says sometime around Valentines Day Powe will be ready to start playing. If he gets enough PT between then and the end of the season how much of a contributor can we expect in the playoffs? I'm not as familiar with his game. What's his strong suit? I know I could look it up but I want to get the forums takes on him. With him back will the Cavaliers even need to trade for a 4?

Thanks
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Re: Leon Powe

Unread postby papacass » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Powe is a low-post banger with pretty good moves around the basket. He's 6'-8", so he is a bit undersized to be a guy who subsists entirely on playing within 10 feet of the hoop. But he has made it work well enough.

That fact, combined with a lengthy knee injury history, which now includes microfracture surgery, means it's likely that Powe will never be anything more than a bench player. 7 points, 5 rebounds and 20-25 minutes a game. He could be very good at picking up the slack when other guys get hurt or have off nights, as he was in Boston. But at this point, I can't see him as the starting PF of the future. Potentially a valuable bench piece, but not a guy who is going to make the Cavs forget all about acquiring a starting PF.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby CharacterIV » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Papa Cass wrote:Potentially a valuable bench piece, but not a guy who is going to make the Cavs forget all about acquiring a starting PF.

Yup. I think Powe has the determination to get himself back into playing form to the point where he can definitely contribute to this team. Problem is, Powe doesn't bring a new angle to the offense or defense. He gives us more strength down low, which you really can't ever have too much of, but there's nothing new. Murphy, West or (hopefully) Jamison gives us a whole new angle in the much-ballyhooed stretch 4. I'm looking forward to Powe, I think he makes us better and deeper, but I still think we need somebody else.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 pm

West is not going anywhere.

The Hilton Armstrong Salary dump brought the Hornets w/ in 500K of the luxury tax and can easily find someone to take on that much salary.

They've been chipping away at the tax all year (payroll was >$77MM before FA) and have finally got it to a point where they can keep what they believe to be their "core" of West, Paul and Okafor while not paying the tax.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Windy was on with Riz today and said that Powe has circled the 2/25 vs. Boston on his schedule for a target return.

It's a luxury to not be relying on this guy at all this year. We should be able to ease him back into playing shape. The hard part will be getting everyone enough minutes to stay sharp down the stretch.

Injury in mind, I don't think he's a bankable solution, nor do I think the Cavs would be smart to call off pursuit of a 4 man. Powe's a paint player, and we've been sniffing 4's (Jamison to Murphy) who can stretch out a defense.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm expecting similar to Joe Smith kind of contribution, only not as good of a mid range jumper
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:22 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:I'm expecting similar to Joe Smith kind of contribution, only not as good of a mid range jumper

Joe Smith is really nothing but a midrange jump shooter anymore. Powe has no midrange jumper to speak of. He's muscle, and maybe some post buckets, down low.

I'm actually hoping that Powe is markedly different from Smith. Cavs don't really need another guy to shoot the 15-footer. They need perimeter shooting and some more beef down low. If healthy, Powe can give them the latter in 6-8 minute stretches.
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Papa Cass wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:I'm expecting similar to Joe Smith kind of contribution, only not as good of a mid range jumper

Joe Smith is really nothing but a midrange jump shooter anymore. Powe has no midrange jumper to speak of. He's muscle, and maybe some post buckets, down low.

I'm actually hoping that Powe is markedly different from Smith. Cavs don't really need another guy to shoot the 15-footer. They need perimeter shooting and some more beef down low. If healthy, Powe can give them the latter in 6-8 minute stretches.

Precisely.

Smith gets moved around down low if the AC vents are at full blow. Don't get me wrong; he's a pro's pro and still a viable 12-15 minutes a night guy for some contender.

Powe is a banger and a body that can play physically when called on. Night and day other than PT.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Papa Cass wrote:

I said similar to joe smith contribution (as in a few points and some boards)
never said they were anywhere near the same player.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Papa Cass wrote:

I said similar to joe smith contribution (as in a few points and some boards)
never said they were anywhere near the same player.

Understood, but when you say "Joe Smith" my mind immediately goes to 12-footers on the wing. And Kevin McHale losing a half-decade of first-round picks. But that's another story.
papacass

Unread postby Jimmy Dudley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:00 pm

If Powe proves to be healthy, does he get the starting nod rather than JJ (who seems to be treading water or worse offensively)?
Jimmy Dudley

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Jimmy Dudley wrote:If Powe proves to be healthy, does he get the starting nod rather than JJ (who seems to be treading water or worse offensively)?

If he proves himself capable of contributing on the level that he was for Boston 2 years ago, I'd rather have him in at the end of the game than starting it. Course there's no reason he can't start and finish, but can't give him too much too soon after 3 ACL surgeries. I'm sure, in the beginning, he'll come off the bench for 5 minutes a time, 2-3 times a game just to get his legs back and then find a rotation spot thereafter.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Jimmy Dudley wrote:If Powe proves to be healthy, does he get the starting nod rather than JJ (who seems to be treading water or worse offensively)?

I think that Powe will only play 12-15 minutes a night. I can't see him on the floor with Shaq as his(Powe's) game is the low post. Him and Shaq would just get in each others way and really close up the middle for LBJ. Powe would be a much better fit w/ Z.

JMO
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:21 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

If he proves himself capable of contributing on the level that he was for Boston 2 years ago, I'd rather have him in at the end of the game than starting it. Course there's no reason he can't start and finish, but can't give him too much too soon after 3 ACL surgeries. I'm sure, in the beginning, he'll come off the bench for 5 minutes a time, 2-3 times a game just to get his legs back and then find a rotation spot thereafter.

Windy said it in his "Hey Brian" Q&A this week: Fans pay way too much attention to who starts. It's not who plays the 1Q, it's who plays the 4Q. If '08 Boston Powe shows up around April, I don't care if Jawad starts at PF, so long as Powe is getting those minutes with the game on the line.
papacass

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Papa Cass wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

Windy said it in his "Hey Brian" Q&A this week: Fans pay way too much attention to who starts. It's not who plays the 1Q, it's who plays the 4Q. If '08 Boston Powe shows up around April, I don't care if Jawad starts at PF, so long as Powe is getting those minutes with the game on the line and all of Hickson's minutes that do not involve 20 point leads

Fixed that for you Cass
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:I think that Powe will only play 12-15 minutes a night. I can't see him on the floor with Shaq as his(Powe's) game is the low post. Him and Shaq would just get in each others way and really close up the middle for LBJ. Powe would be a much better fit w/ Z.

JMO

To an extent, but if you have two wide bodies out there who can step out and set screens, it can actually help guys like LBJ and Mo find the basket.

Plus, on D, Shaq and Powe together means that the other team's penetrators are going to have a whale of a time trying to get close to the hoop at all. Think along the lines of Sheed and Big Ben with the mid-'00s Pistons. MB likes to play defense inside-out -- defend the highest-percentage shots first, then worry about lower-percentage shots from outside.

Powe and Shaq probably wouldn't work for long stretches, but if the Cavs are getting abused by the P&R, having two big butts on the floor means one can always hang back and defend the paint. You clamp off the P&R by fighting through/over the pick, or by stopping the roller from getting to the basket. It's why Shaq is such an atrocious P&R defender. He can't follow his man to the high post, and then recover to the low post quickly enough to stop the shot. He's too slow and immobile.

Having Powe slide over into the paint would probably take some pressure off Shaq when his man skirts by on the roll.
papacass

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Papa Cass wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:I think that Powe will only play 12-15 minutes a night. I can't see him on the floor with Shaq as his(Powe's) game is the low post. Him and Shaq would just get in each others way and really close up the middle for LBJ. Powe would be a much better fit w/ Z.

JMO

To an extent, but if you have two wide bodies out there who can step out and set screens, it can actually help guys like LBJ and Mo find the basket.

Plus, on D, Shaq and Powe together means that the other team's penetrators are going to have a whale of a time trying to get close to the hoop at all. Think along the lines of Sheed and Big Ben with the mid-'00s Pistons. MB likes to play defense inside-out -- defend the highest-percentage shots first, then worry about lower-percentage shots from outside.

Powe and Shaq probably wouldn't work for long stretches, but if the Cavs are getting abused by the P&R, having two big butts on the floor means one can always hang back and defend the paint. You clamp off the P&R by fighting through/over the pick, or by stopping the roller from getting to the basket. It's why Shaq is such an atrocious P&R defender. He can't follow his man to the high post, and then recover to the low post quickly enough to stop the shot. He's too slow and immobile.

Having Powe slide over into the paint would probably take some pressure off Shaq when his man skirts by on the roll.

:thumb up:

I get an extended weekend and I can't think straight anymore. I liked the idea of Shaq/Powe and the p&r when we first signed Leon but somehow that got pushed way back in my mind since then.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA