Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

This Woulda Been Great...

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

This Woulda Been Great...

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Just to see what the fallout would have been.

Per Windy:

Antics thwarted: Arenas was suspended before the game against the Cavs last Wednesday. Had the league waited, the fans at The Q apparently would have seen another potentially memorable and costly skit by Arenas and at least one teammate.

The night before in Philadelphia, Arenas pretended to shoot up in the air while his teammates surrounded him. Four players have reportedly been fined by the team. The Washington Post reported Sunday that Arenas and teammate Nick Young had talked about doing a mock John Wayne-style showdown by taking 10 paces and then drawing on each other before tipoff at The Q. Young confirmed the plot to the newspaper.

Most believe it was Arenas' antics in Philadelphia pregame that forced Stern's hand to suspend him.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: This Woulda Been Great...

Unread postby Mr. X » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:25 pm

"Gangsta shit, riiiiiiiiight?"

Mr. X

Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Just to see what the fallout would have been.

Per Windy:

Antics thwarted: Arenas was suspended before the game against the Cavs last Wednesday. Had the league waited, the fans at The Q apparently would have seen another potentially memorable and costly skit by Arenas and at least one teammate.

The night before in Philadelphia, Arenas pretended to shoot up in the air while his teammates surrounded him. Four players have reportedly been fined by the team. The Washington Post reported Sunday that Arenas and teammate Nick Young had talked about doing a mock John Wayne-style showdown by taking 10 paces and then drawing on each other before tipoff at The Q. Young confirmed the plot to the newspaper.

Most believe it was Arenas' antics in Philadelphia pregame that forced Stern's hand to suspend him.

With real pieces?

I don't think John Wayne ever did that in a movie, do you?
I don't recall the Duke dualling.

PS - More valid evidence of Stern hatin on the hip hop culture.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:49 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Just to see what the fallout would have been.

Per Windy:

With real pieces?

I don't think John Wayne ever did that in a movie, do you?
I don't recall the Duke dualling.

After what went down a week or so ago I cannot confirm that the duel would NOT go down with real pieces. But I believe it would have been another finger-gun production.

I might be wrong, but I'm guessing Crittenton and Young weren't Duke or Ivy League guys?? Either that or Josh Cribbs' agent is their agent and he thought the publicity would be good for their careers?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Peeker643 wrote:After what went down a week or so ago I cannot confirm that the duel would NOT go down with real pieces. But I believe it would have been another finger-gun production.

Thumb "up" at a 90 degree angle little kid style or tilted 45 degrees pointed to the left? That would have looked sweeter.

I bet if he tweeted the pix while wearing footie jammies with his daughter he'd have been forgiven by Stern.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:After what went down a week or so ago I cannot confirm that the duel would NOT go down with real pieces. But I believe it would have been another finger-gun production.

Thumb "up" at a 90 degree angle little kid style or tilted 45 degrees pointed to the left? That would have looked sweeter.

I bet if he tweeted the pix while wearing footie jammies with his daughter he'd have been forgiven by Stern.

I wonder if it would have kept progressing? From the six shooters in Philly to a duel with a teammate in Cleveland I just wonder if by April there would have been a 'Saving Private Ryan' type set up at Wizards home games with Gil rolling out of a Higgins boat onto the court with his teammates and spraying the crowd with paintball fire.

God damn David Stern for stopping the show.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm

nm
Last edited by FUDU on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:45 pm

FUDU wrote:
You're way off JB.

It is about a lot more than that. Is he hatin on stupid players sure, good, stupidity needs to be hated on right? I mean society is always sayin survival of the fittest, well here we are. However there is a lot of other stuff Stern has to consider with Gilbert Gump's insistence on pushing the envelope. First, let's face it Stern is the boss (personally I don't like him very much) but the boss is the boss. He is at least partially responsible for the NBA being as global as it is. So there is a whole world wide view of the NBA to consider for David. Also there are league sponsors and such to take into account, b/c after all this is a business. A company like a Coca Cola or Gatorade might not be down too much with a league that has guys making a mockery out of a possibly legit legal situation that crosses into the realm of role model stuff.

These guys are role models whether they like it or not, whether they choose to be or not, in many cases anyway. Should a parent allow their son to have a pro athlete as a role model to begin with, that is a different discussion altogether. But these HMFIC realize this stuff and must deal with all those angles, so they must make a decision leading to some kind of action or reaction to situations like this.

The hatin on the hip hop culture is a weak excuse for any of them to use. Don't bring your guns to a place where they are not needed or warranted and there is no problem.

Let me ask you a question, would we be hearing about any of this if Gilbert Gump and his team mate didn't bring guns onto the property and into the locker room?

Dude, JB said it tongue in cheek.

Recognize.

And don't start this down the path it went down last time when, for some ungodly reason, the thread was locked.

I'm not sure what that path was other than you and eOy2e3 throwing bombs like in every thread but try not to take it.

Please.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:
You're way off JB.

It is about a lot more than that. Is he hatin on stupid players sure, good, stupidity needs to be hated on right? I mean society is always sayin survival of the fittest, well here we are. However there is a lot of other stuff Stern has to consider with Gilbert Gump's insistence on pushing the envelope. First, let's face it Stern is the boss (personally I don't like him very much) but the boss is the boss. He is at least partially responsible for the NBA being as global as it is. So there is a whole world wide view of the NBA to consider for David. Also there are league sponsors and such to take into account, b/c after all this is a business. A company like a Coca Cola or Gatorade might not be down too much with a league that has guys making a mockery out of a possibly legit legal situation that crosses into the realm of role model stuff.

These guys are role models whether they like it or not, whether they choose to be or not, in many cases anyway. Should a parent allow their son to have a pro athlete as a role model to begin with, that is a different discussion altogether. But these HMFIC realize this stuff and must deal with all those angles, so they must make a decision leading to some kind of action or reaction to situations like this.

The hatin on the hip hop culture is a weak excuse for any of them to use. Don't bring your guns to a place where they are not needed or warranted and there is no problem.

Let me ask you a question, would we be hearing about any of this if Gilbert Gump and his team mate didn't bring guns onto the property and into the locker room?

Dude, JB said it tongue in cheek.

Recognize.

And don't start this down the path it went down last time when, for some ungodly reason, the thread was locked.

I'm not sure what that path was other than you and eOy2e3 throwing bombs like in every thread but try not to take it.

Please.
Fair enough, I didn't read JB that way at all there. Post deleted.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:55 pm

FUDU, for a gun owner who keeps a loaded by his bed at night, you sure have an itchey trigger finger.

( I crack myself up. )

Where is BaldedHead of Danny Ferry to retell the story of how a simple poster name "Donny Unitas" became "FUDU".

;-) <- edit - I guess I need to insert this at this rate

You are hillarious, broham.

Seriously. I am right with you. Pieces don't belong in locker rooms. They belong in clubz and in front of scrip clubz.

Maybe if the NBA got its stuff together the NFL wouldn't treat them like the Ugly American?

BTW - Peeker. Maybe a half-time or pregame show based on the old Roman pre-gladiator shows like Zero was trying to pull off would beat all those inane dance acts at ear splitting volume. Other than the hot cavs' girls, of course. I digress. Visionaries are always disrespected in their own time.
Last edited by jb on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:57 pm

JB wrote:Where is BaldedHead of Danny Ferry to retell the story of how a simple poster name "Donny Unitas" became "FUDU".

You are hllarious, broham.

Actually, as the one who started this thread and therefore one judging its content, I will allow this story to be told please. It's a departure from Gil's production of the Dirty Dozen but I'll allow it.

Here or via pm is fine.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Sometimes tone and sarcasm don't always translate in this medium JB, no big deal either way.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:42 pm

FUDU wrote:Sometimes tone and sarcasm don't always translate in this medium JB, no big deal either way.

I know, the "with real pieces" things is pretty veiled, I agree.

No owrries man. We'll always have Panini.

And you're the only one who gets to tell the story of your gloss.
jb

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Why can't I remember...

Was it b4 or after our, yeah I am taking credit for most of JB's work, 80's Lakers vs. 90's Bulls fiasco thread. Was that here or at that other site...

I am losttttttttttt!
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Orenthal wrote:Why can't I remember...

Was it b4 or after our, yeah I am taking credit for most of JB's work, 80's Lakers vs. 90's Bulls fiasco thread. Was that here or at that other site...

I am losttttttttttt!

That was at CS.

BHoDF may have been the single most acidic/awesome poster in the history of the interwebs. I miss him greatly. He made me look like Barney.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:39 pm

I just cannot remember stuff from over in CS even though I spent far too much time there. One thing I remember is donny was just as sanctimonious over there...

Best I can remember is when about 2 or 3 peep's jumped on his take, and his punt was that he was out getting chicks or some nonsense. The good old days... What ever happened to Anti-Jeff and gnati? Diff handles here?
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:41 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Why can't I remember...

I am losttttttttttt!

That was at CS.

BHoDF may have been the single most acidic/awesome poster in the history of the interwebs. I miss him greatly. He made me look like Barney.

Oh and just to have 2 in a row and a quote box, there are times I would love to be as acidic as you guys, but I don't think I have built up enuff cred to be throwing jabs around...
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Orenthal wrote:I just cannot remember stuff from over in CS even though I spent far too much time there. One thing I remember is donny was just as sanctimonious over there...

Best I can remember is when about 2 or 3 peep's jumped on his take, and his punt was that he was out getting chicks or some nonsense. The good old days... What ever happened to Anti-Jeff and gnati? Diff handles here?

gnati is in the college board here sometimes and Anti-Jeff left the interwebs after some personal life issues. That said I am fairly certain Anti-Jeff returned to the OBR last year but only posts in the mild replacement of the WWR, the DogHouse as HayekWasRight (I have no proof, but it's pretty clear).

RIP WWR
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:45 pm

A truly epic forum, meltyJoe with his 5 different handles never disappointed...
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Orenthal wrote:A truly epic forum, meltyJoe with his 5 different handles never disappointed...

shhh, he hasn't been in here (tCavs board) in ages.

don't drag him back. He was posting on the Browns board just a few days ago.

ProgWaterJoe, proud owner of the biggest melt in the history of the interwebs
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 pm

OJ it's just how you interpret it.

...and oh the memories of the 80's Celtics/80's Lakers v 90's Bulls thread. That should have been archived in the Library of Congress.

FUDU

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:ProgWaterJoe, proud owner of the biggest melt in the history of the interwebs

Is that documented somewhere on this site?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:11 am

JB wrote:And you're the only one who gets to tell the story of your gloss.

FUDU?

Please begin with the explanation.

You can feel free to PM.

If not you, I wil brow beat JB til he PMs me. And we know what side of the story I get then. Plus I'd have to decipher his words like a nazi code breaker again and I have only so much time each day.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 pm

JCoz wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:ProgWaterJoe, proud owner of the biggest melt in the history of the interwebs

Is that documented somewhere on this site?

No, it was in the now defunct WWR on election night in 2004 after Prog had been dancing to John Kerry victory tunes for about six hours and found out Bush had won the election. It was fantastic and awarded the masses w/ about 17 different version of ProgWater Joe over the next few years, the latest is, of course, ProgRocker. Not much has changed.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 pm

FUDU wrote:OJ it's just how you interpret it.

...and oh the memories of the 80's Celtics/80's Lakers v 90's Bulls thread. That should have been archived in the Library of Congress.

Of course no doubt... I love each and every one of you. Just not all the time... ;-) ;) :wink:
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Peeker643 wrote:

FUDU?

You can feel free to PM.

If not you, I wil brow beat JB til he PMs me. And we know what side of the story I get then. Plus I'd have to decipher his words like a nazi code breaker again and I have only so much time each day.
It's really not that big a deal IMO and most others opinions either.

There was a good 5-6 weeks back in 05(?) when we signed Laura that I started getting involved in the game threads and even started them myself. Oh on the OBR CTwon sports forum if you didn't know, user name was DU (donnyunitas, even a longer story for that name). Back then the Cavaliers were still in the habit of playing down to the level of their opponents on a regular basis, so losing games to the woeful teams like the Knicks for IE happened more often or at least we'd struggled mightily with them. Anyway I would just lose all patience with that style of play and post things like these "guys are done", "this game is over" in the early or mid 4thQ or even late 3rd. Then the team would come back and win, and a few people would come back with FU DU. My game threads would even be titled something along the lines of "Cavs v Sixers, come watch us get drilled tonight" prompting the FU DU response.

It stuck, obviously, even though they probably did lose most of the time I ranted, but the Cavaliers definitely got over on me a lot of those times and the responses were pretty much warranted in most cases.

I don't think any one person really gets credit for it seeing as it was a pretty obvious way to respond, not like it was the wittiest comeback for the ages, but it was a nice jab and worked well for board amusement.

After a suggestion was made to check this place out (where many familiar posters flocked) I felt it would be a good name to bust in with.

This should also explain why it is a very good idea to inform me of any no hitter in progress (except Tribe pitcher's of course), I can take care of that shit no problem.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:49 pm

FUDU wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

FUDU?

You can feel free to PM.

There was a good 5-6 weeks back in 05(?) when we signed Laura that I started getting involved in the game threads and even started them myself. Oh on the OBR CTwon sports forum if you didn't know, user name was DU (donnyunitas, even a longer story for that name). Back then the Cavaliers were still in the habit of playing down to the level of their opponents on a regular basis, so losing games to the woeful teams like the Knicks for IE happened more often or at least we'd struggled mightily with them. Anyway I would just lose all patience with that style of play and post things like these "guys are done", "this game is over" in the early or mid 4thQ or even late 3rd. Then the team would come back and win, and a few people would come back with FU DU. My game threads would even be titled something along the lines of "Cavs v Sixers, come watch us get drilled tonight" prompting the FU DU response.

It stuck, obviously, even though they probably did lose most of the time I ranted, but the Cavaliers definitely got over on me a lot of those times and the responses were pretty much warranted in most cases.

I don't think any one person really gets credit for it seeing as it was a pretty obvious way to respond, not like it was the wittiest comeback for the ages, but it was a nice jab and worked well for board amusement.

After a suggestion was made to check this place out (where many familiar posters flocked) I felt it would be a good name to bust in with.

This should also explain why it is a very good idea to inform me of any no hitter in progress (except Tribe pitcher's of course), I can take care of that shit no problem.

Pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking but I appreciate the words from the horse's mouth.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

FUDU?

You can feel free to PM.

Pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking but I appreciate the words from the horse's mouth.

Most definitely all is good fun.

DU is a pillar and one of my favorite people to bust balls with. It is never personal AFAIC.

But the evolution was pretty funny. Think of him as the cristophe for a while.The steady stream of the abbreviated and nearly universal "FUDU"s and the drunken melt downs by the BaldingHeadofDannyFerry were keepers.

hard to believe now, huh? ;-)

Now about how watered down the Association was in the 1990's......
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 pm

No Gil for the duration of the season:

WojYahooNBA Sources: David Stern will not permit Gilbert Arenas to play again this season. Story coming.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:59 pm

Peeker643 wrote:No Gil for the duration of the season:

WojYahooNBA Sources: David Stern will not permit Gilbert Arenas to play again this season. Story coming.

Will ey0 really ramp up the Free Gil campaign now?

Two totally different cases for sure but does this up the ante for Ferry to get AI2 w/ a ruling on DWest waiting in the wings?

just a question :thumb up:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 pm

I cannot think of anything more applicable to post than this.

Free Gilbert now being repped in the sig
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:21 pm

I think it's so awesome Arenass won't play again this season. Too bad it's not longer, someone that stupid shouldn't be allowed to make that much money.

Enjoy the clink, dipshit.

"Night night keep your butthole tight."- Tron Carter.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I think it's so awesome Arenass won't play again this season. Too bad it's not longer, someone that stupid shouldn't be allowed to make that much money.

Enjoy the clink, dipshit.

"Night night keep your butthole tight."- Tron Carter.

It's probably not as funny today as he thought it was three weeks ago.

Today at work I pulled out one of the guns I keep in my drawer and drew down on the guy in the office next to me.

God. We laughed and laughed. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 pm

Peeker643 wrote:

Today at work I pulled out one of the guns I keep in my drawer and drew down on the guy in the office next to me.

I think it's hilarious. He got what he derserved for being a fucking moron. If you or I did that, we'd be in jail for years, not months like that fool will get.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:34 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

I think it's hilarious. He got what he derserved for being a fucking moron. If you or I did that, we'd be in jail for years, not months like that fool will get.

On a semi-serious note that is completely untrue.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

On a semi-serious note that is completely untrue.

How so?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:07 am

Max sentence on that is years. No Prosecutor out there asks for max sentences against your average joe if they have no record. Since it is DC and they have made their reputation on their gun laws they punished Gil as much as they would have punished most any other peep that had guns and made no violent threat w/ them (w/out a record).

Far too much crime in a major city to pack the jails w/ peeps who have unloaded guns in a lock box and do nothing violent or threatening w/ them once. Guy deserved what he got, but lets not pretend he got to walk because he is Gil. DC prides themselves on their gun laws and in almost all states and/or cities it would not have been a felony (see: Delonte).

If he does it again, I promise, he'll eat jail food for a long while.

First offenders typically get off w/ a slap on the wrist if the crime wasn't violent.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Max sentence on that is years. No Prosecutor out there asks for max sentences against your average joe if they have no record. Since it is DC and they have made their reputation on their gun laws they punished Gil as much as they would have punished most any other peep that had guns and made no violent threat w/ them (w/out a record).

Far too much crime in a major city to pack the jails w/ peeps who have unloaded guns in a lock box and do nothing violent or threatening w/ them once. Guy deserved what he got, but lets not pretend he got to walk because he is Gil. DC prides themselves on their gun laws and in almost all states and/or cities it would not have been a felony (see: Delonte).

If he does it again, I promise, he'll eat jail food for a long while.

First offenders typically get off w/ a slap on the wrist if the crime wasn't violent.

Doesn't he already have a prior gun charge?

Dude it's a felony, i'm not walking away with a slap on the wrist. No way. I don't have the money to buy high priced lawyers who can get me the best plea, which you know he'll get.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:42 am

People who commit non-violent crimes, don't have records (he had none in DC) and didn't steal get slaps on the wrist. That is how life goes. It was a plea deal, not a court deal where his lawyers raped the Pros. They hit him as hard as they would hit anyone.

See the Plax case. He discharged a loaded weapon in a club under similar laws and was hit w/ legit sentence. Gil had unloaded guns in a locker room, why overpopulate the prison system for that? Why spend the tax payers money to go to court? Etc....

They guy does not cause problems, had no ammo near him and played a prank. He deserved to get punished because said prank was retarded, but let's not play the "if it were you or me" card.

Him not being in jail is the right thing. Pros knew this, I know this, you know this. If he does it again he will go to jail. No violence, no threats, no ammo, etc.

It's the same way people get treated w/ DUI's. You start sending everyone the commits a felony to jail and we end up w/ 100,000 new prisons in a year. It just doesn't work that way.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:38 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

If everyone got what they deserved for being a moron there'd be no league. As a matter of fact, might as well just start constructing bars around the whole planet.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:50 pm

See the Plax case. He discharged a loaded weapon in a club under similar laws and was hit w/ legit sentence. Gil had unloaded guns in a locker room, why overpopulate the prison system for that? Why spend the tax payers money to go to court? Etc....

Awesome. I'm going to go commit a non violent felony and use the overcrowding argument to try to avoid jail time. You think that'll work?

He'll use his stardom as a bargaining chip, he'll say "oh i'll go on TV and do gun related PSAs, ya know, to help the kids". He's gonna skate because of who he is. Just like the rest of the athletes that break the law.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Awesome. I'm going to go commit a non violent felony and use the overcrowding argument to try to avoid jail time. You think that'll work?

He'll use his stardom as a bargaining chip, he'll say "oh i'll go on TV and do gun related PSAs, ya know, to help the kids". He's gonna skate because of who he is. Just like the rest of the athletes that break the law.

Not that many felonies out there that are non-violent, do not involve theft, etc.

I mean, if anywhere else in the country this specific crime is not even a felony.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:46 pm

It still irks me people see this case in the same light as Plax's ordeal. I mean, as a gun owner, these two situations are not even close, albeit, both are incredibly stupid. Felony or no, CDT has a point about Gil's place in society as an NBA player. Anyone else with any normal job would have been fired on the spot as well as going to jail. These are the times we live in mostly because this is the pedistal that we fans have put athletes on. Its completely ridiculous for someone to bitch and moan about stars getting star treatment when its our asses in seats that give them that privledge and jack to begin with. I mean, Leonard Little killed a woman and was back in the league a short time later. A regular drunk piece of shit killed 5 girls down in Hiram and it was like his 13th DWI. He should, IMO, been in jail after his 2nd stop. I'm a huge advocate against drunk driving and think the punishments are not even close to being enough - mostly because it takes someone getting killed to prove a point. If you hold a revolver with 1 in the chamber and pull the trigger to someones head, you're eventually going to murder them even if a few dry fires happen before that. Same thing with drunk driving. IMO - what Gilbert did is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being a "throw the book" type of offense even though it did involve firearms. The guy didn't harm anyone, wasn't going to harm anyone, and across the board just seems like a guy who is clowning 24/7 regardless of the sitation or how extreme it is. Obviously I don't know Gil, but he's prolly the type that looks at comedy as "hell, if I think this is funny and I think it will get people to laugh, fuck it, I'm doing it regardless of the consequences."
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:56 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:It still irks me people see this case in the same light as Plax's ordeal. I mean, as a gun owner, these two situations are not even close, albeit, both are incredibly stupid. Felony or no, CDT has a point about Gil's place in society as an NBA player. Anyone else with any normal job would have been fired on the spot as well as going to jail. These are the times we live in mostly because this is the pedistal that we fans have put athletes on. Its completely ridiculous for someone to bitch and moan about stars getting star treatment when its our asses in seats that give them that privledge and jack to begin with. I mean, Leonard Little killed a woman and was back in the league a short time later. A regular drunk piece of shit killed 5 girls down in Hiram and it was like his 13th DWI. He should, IMO, been in jail after his 2nd stop. I'm a huge advocate against drunk driving and think the punishments are not even close to being enough - mostly because it takes someone getting killed to prove a point. If you hold a revolver with 1 in the chamber and pull the trigger to someones head, you're eventually going to murder them even if a few dry fires happen before that. Same thing with drunk driving. IMO - what Gilbert did is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being a "throw the book" type of offense even though it did involve firearms. The guy didn't harm anyone, wasn't going to harm anyone, and across the board just seems like a guy who is clowning 24/7 regardless of the sitation or how extreme it is. Obviously I don't know Gil, but he's prolly the type that looks at comedy as "hell, if I think this is funny and I think it will get people to laugh, fuck it, I'm doing it regardless of the consequences."

Fired on the spot I agree w/.

There have been guns in NBA locker rooms forever. It finally took a public case to end it and it is for the better that it is over.

That said, I highly doubt your normal person goes to jail in this instance. Highly, highly, highly doubt it. Unless it is one of those go spend 48 hours checking in and out of prison things.

BTW: have you heard the story about Gil shitting in the shoe in the locker room? I mean, guy is nuts. Harmless, but nuts.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:It still irks me people see this case in the same light as Plax's ordeal. I mean, as a gun owner, these two situations are not even close, albeit, both are incredibly stupid. Felony or no, CDT has a point about Gil's place in society as an NBA player. Anyone else with any normal job would have been fired on the spot as well as going to jail. These are the times we live in mostly because this is the pedistal that we fans have put athletes on. Its completely ridiculous for someone to bitch and moan about stars getting star treatment when its our asses in seats that give them that privledge and jack to begin with. I mean, Leonard Little killed a woman and was back in the league a short time later. A regular drunk piece of shit killed 5 girls down in Hiram and it was like his 13th DWI. He should, IMO, been in jail after his 2nd stop. I'm a huge advocate against drunk driving and think the punishments are not even close to being enough - mostly because it takes someone getting killed to prove a point. If you hold a revolver with 1 in the chamber and pull the trigger to someones head, you're eventually going to murder them even if a few dry fires happen before that. Same thing with drunk driving. IMO - what Gilbert did is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being a "throw the book" type of offense even though it did involve firearms. The guy didn't harm anyone, wasn't going to harm anyone, and across the board just seems like a guy who is clowning 24/7 regardless of the sitation or how extreme it is. Obviously I don't know Gil, but he's prolly the type that looks at comedy as "hell, if I think this is funny and I think it will get people to laugh, fuck it, I'm doing it regardless of the consequences."

I see some serious flaws and inconsistencies in your thinking here.

First you're missing the point of most of the people's comparison to Plax (at least my own personal one). The point being he and Gilbert Gump had a choice, the choice to not bring the guns (where the guns were not needed, nor legally permitted) regardless of the reasons they had in their own minds.

Second, you admit anybody with a normal job would have been fired on the spot and sent to jail. Yet you follow that up by saying it is OUR fault for bitching about these guys getting away with these things b/c we pay the price of admission....doesn't make much sense (am I misreading you here?).

Third, I have no problem with your stance on drunk driving, and agree for the most part that it takes a very bad result before a serious penalty is handed down most times. However you are complaining that the repercussions are often too late relative the the risk of the action yet at the same time you are saying Gilbert didn't harm anyone or didn't plan on harming anyone (therefor not deserving a punishment or the one handed down), you are completely contradicting yourself there. Do you want action taken before something bad happens or don't you? I mean like the late Sam Kinison said "we're all doin our best, nobody goes out to see how fucked up they can get....it's not like you're going out to your car saying "boy I sure hope I slide into a family of six tonight, whooooo!". You are against people getting behind the wheel of a car after drinking (due to the terrible harm it can cause), OK fine, a solid stand to take. Well many people are against other people bringing guns out where guns are not relatively needed or justified (due to the terrible harm they can cause).

Stern took a stand, a preemptive one so to speak. Made an example out of a trending situation before the situation made an example out of him and the NBA.

Was the punishment a bit harsh, eh I can listen to the argument, but it wasn't so unreasonable as for people to cry themselves a river.

Gilbert Gump is the only one to blame for Gilbert's situation right now.

FUDU

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 pm

FUDU wrote:I see some serious flaws and inconsistencies in your thinking here.

First you're missing the point of most of the people's comparison to Plax (at least my own personal one). The point being he and Gilbert Gump had a choice, the choice to not bring the guns (where the guns were not needed, nor legally permitted) regardless of the reasons they had in their own minds.

Second, you admit anybody with a normal job would have been fired on the spot and sent to jail. Yet you follow that up by saying it is OUR fault for bitching about these guys getting away with these things b/c we pay the price of admission....doesn't make much sense (am I misreading you here?).

Third, I have no problem with your stance on drunk driving, and agree for the most part that it takes a very bad result before a serious penalty is handed down most times. However you are complaining that the repercussions are often too late relative the the risk of the action yet at the same time you are saying Gilbert didn't harm anyone or didn't plan on harming anyone (therefor not deserving a punishment or the one handed down), you are completely contradicting yourself there. Do you want action taken before something bad happens or don't you? I mean like the late Sam Kinison said "we're all doin our best, nobody goes out to see how fucked up they can get....it's not like you're going out to your car saying "boy I sure hope I slide into a family of six tonight, whooooo!". You are against people getting behind the wheel of a car after drinking (due to the terrible harm it can cause), OK fine, a solid stand to take. Well many people are against other people bringing guns out where guns are not relatively needed or justified (due to the terrible harm they can cause).

Stern took a stand, a preemptive one so to speak. Made an example out of a trending situation before the situation made an example out of him and the NBA.

Was the punishment a bit harsh, eh I can listen to the argument, but it wasn't so unreasonable as for people to cry themselves a river.

Gilbert Gump is the only one to blame for Gilbert's situation right now.

On the first point, I though it was clear what I meant. A person carrying a loaded weapon into a public place then discharging it is much much much much much much different then bringing in guns KNOWN to be unloaded to play a prank on a teammate. I mean, is there really any question these 2 are totally different offenses? That's like comparing Tommy pulling on Harry when Harry was clowning him to Vince Vega blasting Marvin's brains all over Jules' whip. Its stupid, I get it. Forget the stupidity, I'm talking word of the law here, not good/bad decision making. They're is a clear difference between the two.

2nd point - Maybe its not entirely the fans fault, but its a simple fact that in our society money can buy you a lot of things, power and a legal backing that would make Monty Burns jealous most notably. People gripe and moan about athletes/politicians/celebrities getting fair treatment but they're going to find a way around it as long as the cheddar keeps flowing. As for people bitching, I think my point stands. We live in a free market economy, people make choices to spend their hard earned $$$ on sports. I am not advocating that people who have money SHOULD be able to get away with things normal people wouldn't, but they WILL because of the system. I have no problem when there is outrage when said athletes/politicians/celebs get just slaps on the wrist, but those slaps on the wrist are carried out by judges. If there is scorn to be had on uneven treatment of US citizens, it lies with the people at the top. Don't hate the player, hate the game. And for anyone that does bitch about it, you trying to convince me if you had all the $$$ in the vault at your disposal you WOULDN'T hire the best legal team to get yourself out of a sticky situation. Basically, this rich vs poor argument falls entirely outside the realms of what we are discussing and into bigger socio/economic issues that are rampant in this country.

About Gilbert, I am not contradicting anything! The GUY WASN'T OUT TO HARM ANYONE. You say the repercussions are often too late - you're taking a huge leap of faith in that statement in its application to Gilbert IE you're implying he is eventually going to shoot someone. Taking that a step further, simply by having a gun automatically means you are going to shoot someone at some point right? Christ on cracker the comparison to drunk driving wasn't mean to draw a parallel to him. If you go out an pound a 1/5 of bourbon, you're going to crash and kill someone or yourself at some point. I work with a guy who has a gun at him at ALL TIMES. He's an upstanding citizen and a great father. Guess what, he isn't shooting someone at the office, period. Point is, the harm isn't the gun, its the individual who has it. A normal person can walk around with a concealed carry and never have a problem. If said citizen then flashes it or talks shit, or does anything to provoke anything that would have the gun go off and cause bodily harm, then its their stupidity at fault. Again, the guns aren't the problem its the craziest and irresponsible hot heads who have them.

Just to be clear my purpose of bringing out drunk driving is that IMO its a completely indefensible crime and blatantly shows
A)complete lack of obeying the law - fits Gil even if his weren't loaded
B)complete lack of good judgment - not against the law but doesn't help
C)The punishment for drunk driving isn't enough while people who do LESSER crimes get far worst judgment - This is the big one: Gil's crime in comparison is nothing compared to the consequences of the former IMHO.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:26 pm

FTR - I never stated Gil didn't deserve the punishment he got. I have no idea where you got that take from but its not in the words I wrote. I typed what he did shouldn't be compared to FIRING A GUN IN PUBLIC. I mean seriously, my statement wasn't that ambiguous in the context of the 2 situations. Some people here and elsewhere want to hang the guy like he put a gun to Crits head and told him to bite the curb. That is simply not what happened.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:57 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:FTR - I never stated Gil didn't deserve the punishment he got. I have no idea where you got that take from but its not in the words I wrote. I typed what he did shouldn't be compared to FIRING A GUN IN PUBLIC. I mean seriously, my statement wasn't that ambiguous in the context of the 2 situations. Some people here and elsewhere want to hang the guy like he put a gun to Crits head and told him to bite the curb. That is simply not what happened.

I don't want him hanged....

I want him to face the same justice a person of no fame and little means would. Which he won't.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 pm

FUDU wrote:Third, I have no problem with your stance on drunk driving, and agree for the most part that it takes a very bad result before a serious penalty is handed down most times. However you are complaining that the repercussions are often too late relative the the risk of the action yet at the same time you are saying Gilbert didn't harm anyone or didn't plan on harming anyone (therefor not deserving a punishment or the one handed down), you are completely contradicting yourself there.

This is my favorite FUDUism ever.

Hands down.

Having an unarmed gun is as deadly as driving drunk.

I mean, by your logic here, people may drive drunk so they should not have cars, right?

And if someone played a joke and parked a car in your front yard that would be a potentially deadly situation, right?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm

Having an unarmed gun

EPIC FAIL.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself