Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Arenas Suspended Indefinitely

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Arenas Suspended Indefinitely

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:57 pm

WojYahooNBA David Stern has suspended GIlbert Arenas indefinintely without pay. Calls him "unfit" to play in the NBA now.
4 minutes ago from web

WojYahooNBA Stern on Arenas: "...His ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game..."

WojYahooNBA Stern had it with Arenas' continued acting out, on and off the floor, and has suspended him without pay until NBA investigation is over.

Good. Anyone that goddamn stupid or indifferent about what he did deserves what he gets.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Arenas Suspended Indefinitely

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Wow. He really got , ahem, capped.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:15 pm

WojYahooNBA Stern: "It is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse..."
14 minutes ago from web

:guns:

:bunny:

:lmfao:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:13 pm

"Stern feels like he's been taunted by (Arenas)," NBA source says. "He's done for the year....at the very least." Arenas has been suspended indefinitely by the NBA. The Washington Wizards have issued a statement in support of the NBA's decision and will reportedly try to void the remainder of Arenas' contract. The fact that the Wizards came out in support of the NBA's decision doesn't bode well for Arenas' future in Washington.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Oh come on. It's not that bad. All he did was do his best Quick Draw McGraw impression and create a high noon showdown with a teammate in the lockeroom.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Stern hates Gil.

Hates, hates hates him.

When is the last time the NBA made a major suspension on a no news Weds? Stern always waits until something else goes down to drop his negative news. Finger Guns did Gil in and set Stern off possibly worse than ever before. Best part is the Wiz just wet themselves because now they think they can get out of Gils contract (/the worst contract in the NBA).

Stern to Gil:

"Hey, it's your birthday? Cool, fuck you and die? Oh and enjoy that 95K a day you are losing for the rest of the year"

Amazing that all he finally had to do to set Stern into motion was this:

And, FTR, there was no drawn guns in tLR room. Gil dumped three guns on Critterons chair and told him to shoot him in the Knee (which he had threatened before) and Critteron tossed a gun.

Lastly, Gil calling Stern "mean" is quote of the year.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:26 pm

And, FTR, there was no drawn guns in tLR room. Gil dumped three guns on Critterons chair and told him to shoot him in the Knee (which he had threatened before) and Critteron tossed a gun.

Ummm No. The interwebs said they drew guns on each other. Why would the interwebs lie?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Ummm No. The interwebs said they drew guns on each other. Why would the interwebs lie?

Because the New York post dropped the story first and their ability to get incorrect info is pretty damned incredible.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby daddywags » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:36 pm

No dog in this fight, but could it affect the Cavs in a round-about way? Now that the Wiz might get out from under Gil's contract, could they be less inclined to ditch Jamison's contract just to cut salary? Or are they more likely to move Jamison because, well, what's the sense of keeping him when they're assured of sucking for the duration? Of course, they were pretty much assured of sucking even with Arenas, so who knows?
daddywags

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Wiz have just been liberated. Watch them start playing better now.

Where are the Cavs going to find any motivation to beat the Wizards without Arenas' mouth writing checks his talent can't cash?

Cripes, they're a DeShawn Stevenson 7-Eleven robbery away from being a team of upstanding citizens.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Papa Cass wrote: without Arenas' mouth writing checks his talent can't cash?

Not really fair, he has/had MAD talent. Running at 75% this year he is still putting up very good numbers. Having a knee that is shredded is mutually exclusive to how much talent one has.

Also, really think that at least one if not both of Jamo and Butler are gone now.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Papa Cass wrote: without Arenas' mouth writing checks his talent can't cash?

Not really fair, he has/had MAD talent. Running at 75% this year he is still putting up very good numbers. Having a knee that is shredded is mutually exclusive to how much talent one has.

Also, really think that at least one if not both of Jamo and Butler are gone now.

I was speaking more to him jawing with LeBron and the Cavs bench, poking the bear with a stick, like he was going to out-duel LBJ. Unless you're on the Kobe/Melo/Wade short list, that's definitely writing checks your talent can't cash.

Maybe I'm about to go all Pup/Andy on Arenas, but I never thought much of Zero's game. Great shooter when healthy, but I don't think he has ever excelled at much beyond shooting. In his younger, healthier days, he was quicker, but never blow-up-the-D quick like a young Answer. Not even a young Marbury. Zero has never been a very good defender, the lateral quicks of a second-round pick (which he was, albeit high) and a so-so passer.

When the Wiz were halfway decent in the '06-'08 time frame, I thought they were much better off with Antonio Daniels at the point. If anything, Zero was cast in the mold of Vinnie Johnson. Instant microwave offense off the bench against the other team's second unit. Better than Microwave, but still that shot of scoring adrenaline that should best-serve a team coming off the bench.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby CharacterIV » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 pm

I'll actually feel like it's kind of unfair if the Wiz manage to void Arenas' deal. Not for Arenas, mind you, but for the rest of the teams in the league. It's like saying to the Wiz "the horrible decision you made to sign this crazy person to a zillion dollar deal was so horrible that you're actually going to get out of it... because he actually went crazy." They knew what they were signing, so they should be culpable in some way for it. Perhaps not having to pay Arenas, but still having his number count against their cap. There's no precedent or real legal logic for that, but it feels right to me. It removes the situation of Wizards' management saying today: "Boy, we're sure lucky he was that crazy. If he was less crazy he might have financially crippled our team for years." I just fail to see how this situation, or anything that results from it should be a good thing for their franchise, and voiding the Arenas deal would be one of the best things to happen to them in years. Anybody else just think that doesn't seem right? Maybe I'm being illogical, but doesn't this set a precedent for some cap-strapped team trying to void out a malcontent's big money by trying to dig up and/or create situations where that malcontent could be involved in a suspendable infraction? I suppose if it were at all plausible, the Knicks would have done it to Marbury in a second, but still the idea doesn't seem quite right.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 pm

CharacterIV wrote:I'll actually feel like it's kind of unfair if the Wiz manage to void Arenas' deal. Not for Arenas, mind you, but for the rest of the teams in the league. It's like saying to the Wiz "the horrible decision you made to sign this crazy person to a zillion dollar deal was so horrible that you're actually going to get out of it... because he actually went crazy." They knew what they were signing, so they should be culpable in some way for it. Perhaps not having to pay Arenas, but still having his number count against their cap. There's no precedent or real legal logic for that, but it feels right to me. It removes the situation of Wizards' management saying today: "Boy, we're sure lucky he was that crazy. If he was less crazy he might have financially crippled our team for years." I just fail to see how this situation, or anything that results from it should be a good thing for their franchise, and voiding the Arenas deal would be one of the best things to happen to them in years. Anybody else just think that smells funny? Maybe I'm being illogical, but doesn't this set a precedent for some cap-strapped team trying to void out a malcontent's big money by trying to dig up and/or create situations where that malcontent could be involved in a suspendable infraction? I suppose if it were at all plausible, the Knicks would have done it to Marbury in a second, but still the idea doesn't seem quite right.

There's more than one NBA GM contemplating planting a gun or two in select arena lockers as we speak. I can see Daryl Morey out on the streets of Houston shopping for something Tracy McGrady might carry.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Nah, T-Mac is expiring, Houston could care less at this point.

This could be a fun game... NBA player most likely to have a gun planted.

Let me think about this...

Here's a couple:

Andre Miller
Hedo Turkugulo
Ben Gordon (haha)
Charlie Villanueva (haha)
Elton Brand (winner!)
Andrei Kirilenko

Sure I am missing a few...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:39 pm

This shit just keeps getting weirder and the story just keeps changing:

According to two first-hand accounts of the confrontation, Crittenton responded to Arenas's action -- which included laying the four unloaded weapons in Crittenton's cubicle with a note that read, "Pick One" -- by brandishing his own firearm, loading a clip of ammunition into the gun and cocking the weapon.

Two of the five people in the room that morning, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Arenas had originally not disclosed Crittenton's action to protect the little-used guard from prosecution and had told Crittenton he would assume full responsibility for the actions of both players that day.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=artslot
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:42 pm

Yep. And scarier:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 167_3.html

The dispute between Arenas and Crittenton began on the team plane during a popular card game between players called "Boo-ray." Crittenton lost roughly $1,100 to JaVale McGee, a Wizards center, in the game, according to a player who watched the game and who also spoke on condition of anonymity. Crittenton, already angry over a dispute over the game's rules, became irate when Arenas began needling him.

Their barbs escalated to a point where Arenas, smiling, said he would blow up Crittenton's car, according to two players on the flight, who requested anonymity. Crittenton replied that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee.

Walking into the locker room by himself two days after the dispute on the team plane, according to two witnesses, Arenas laid out the guns in Crittenton's locker. Two other teammates eventually sauntered in and, while Arenas was writing the note in front of Crittenton's cubicle, in walked Crittenton, according to their account.

Asking Arenas what he was doing, Arenas replied, "If you want to shoot me, I'd just thought I'd make it easy for you." As other teammates laughed, Crittenton crumpled up the paper, tossed one of Arenas's guns across the room, where it bounced in front of a team trainer, and said he didn't need any of Arenas' firearms because he had his own, according to the witness accounts.

Crittenton then drew his weapon, loaded the clip into the chamber and cocked the bar, the witnesses said.

Neither witness said the gun was ever pointed at Arenas, but both said Crittenton began singing as he held the gun.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:47 pm

Yeah, up to today the story ended w/ the tossed gun.

Now at 10:45PM the day after the end of Gilbert this comes out....

Geesh.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 am

Karl Malone (card carrying NRA member and spokesman) weighs in. And I agree with almost all of it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/b ... ?eref=sihp

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 am

Stupid is as stupid does.

Hi my name is Gilbert, Gilbert Arenas.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 am

It's hard to put a finger on it exactly, but it seems that the Washington Wizards were doing a lot of running and not enough gunning on Wednesday night at ‘The Q'. Maybe they just missed the firepower Gilbert Arenas gives them.

:thud:
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 am

FUDU wrote:Stupid is as stupid does.

Nahh, it was hillarious.

Just a matter of the erosion of 2nd Ammendment rights and a PC lack of humor.

Zero is getting screwed. This doofus Chrittenton needs to be the one tossed.
jb

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:04 am

Question: is Crittenton in that posted photo of Arenas pointing his fingers like guns?

Also- should the 'singing' Crittenton was doing be in quotes- was it a contemporary, threatening, violent 'melody'? I suppose he could be a fan of Barry (Brian) Manilow like Lebron and Carmelo Anthony...

(while holding a pistol: "mu-sic and pa-ssion are al-ways the fa-shion at the Co-pa! Copa Cabana!") The gun was just a prop, like the Peter Allen maracas! (pretty obscure reference- couldn't help it)
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:27 am

aoxo1 wrote:
It's hard to put a finger on it exactly, but it seems that the Washington Wizards were doing a lot of running and not enough gunning on Wednesday night at ‘The Q'. Maybe they just missed the firepower Gilbert Arenas gives them.

:thud:

You take the low hanging fruit when you work a 25 point Cavalier blowout win. ;-) ;) :wink:

It was either that or discussing how Z and LBJ ran the pick and pop to perfection and how the Wiz had nowhere near an answer to keep Shaq from establishing himself wherever he wanted down low.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:30 am

JB wrote:

Nahh, it was hillarious.

Like I said before, take a few pistols to your work place or on your next sales call JB.

Zero ain't getting screwed. Just what he deserves. Crittenton will get his too as he should. You know I own guns. And those two should be strung up.

It's tools like that that result in some left wing liberal nut job sueezing my sack about handguns and hunting.

Fuck them both for nothing more than being goddamn idiots.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:

Nahh, it was hillarious.

Like I said before, take a few pistols to your work place or on your next sales call JB.

Zero ain't getting screwed. Just what he deserves. Crittenton will get his too as he should. You know I own guns. And those two should be strung up.

It's tools like that that result in some left wing liberal nut job sueezing my sack about handguns and hunting.

I work out of my home when not travelling. Is this Russia?

Look, just becasue I support 2nd ammendment rights nd obviously you have a problem with it, I can't help you.

Seriously, I know I know I know. I'm down with reality.

But take what Zero did in context.

"Pick the gun yer gonna cap me with."

That's hilarious.

He just didn't think thru one small detail. ;-)
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:

Nahh, it was hillarious.

I work out of my home when not travelling. Is this Russia?

Look, just becasue I support 2nd ammendment rights nd obviously you have a problem with it, I can't help you.

Seriously, I know I know I know. I'm down with reality.

But take what Zero did in context.

"Pick the gun yer gonna cap me with."

That's hilarious.

He just didn't think thru one small detail. ;-)

JB I am for 2nd amendment rights as much as anybody, but there is context involved, always.
What Gilbert did was beyond assinine and very dangerous. What they both did was, supposedly both.

Herd said it best (guy is right on a lot of stuff, despite his awful radio voice). These things are nothing more than disturbingly bad choices.

A workplace is no place for a gun, unless of course you work in the few specific industries or your life is in danger while at work.

Athletes have so little perspective on this, well some of them anyway.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:04 pm

How is he getting screwed JB?

Most moderate to large corps have no firearm on premises policy (let alone signs often posted).

I don't know if the Wiz do or not, but if so the dude is toast and deservedly so.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I think JB is squarely in the "know it's wrong but it's bold and crazy as hell" camp.

And that does make it funny to me as well in a "how comfortable are these effing guys with loaded guns pointed at the them or being pointed by them that they can laugh and sing and is it because it's probably happened to them regularly since they were 7 years old" kind of way.

But again, it ain't me, you and JB I worry about when shit like this goes out. It's the assholes who will hold it up as a reason that I I I I shouldn't be permitted to own/carry a weapon.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:26 pm

FUDU wrote:Most moderate to large corps have no firearm on premises policy (let alone signs often posted).

Can we get the Firearms Policy for the TCF Golf Outing and MOAT? Just to be safe.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:28 pm

"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Thought part of the latest was not that Gil brought the guns in for that day's prank, but he had been storing them in his locker for some time. Only makes it all worse, IMO.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm

This is the dumbest NBA story ever. Given the choice between knowing one teammate had unloaded guns in his locker, and another teammate had a truncheon in his locker (or a baseball bat, or a slingshot, or a boy scout knife), I'd be least scared of the unloaded guns. I can't stand Arenas, but him laying out his unloaded handguns is less threatening than his fists.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Pup wrote:Thought part of the latest was not that Gil brought the guns in for that day's prank, but he had been storing them in his locker for some time. Only makes it all worse, IMO.

Gil said via Twitter on Monday that he brought them there to keep them away from his kids.

Truth? Who knows, cats insane.

That said, no one can tell me the NBA is a better place w/ out Gil. While he was only 75% of his old self this year the guy in his prime was must see TV. Had a shot that was one of the scariest weapons in the league and wasn't afraid to use it, was clinically insane, was just fantastic. Viva Gil! Viva Gil!

And this is just fucking sad:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcspor ... m_ver.html

Amazing that a GM that was dumb enough to give $120MM to a hurt player ratter him out to the league and ripped his banner off the wall ASAP so he could run to court and get out of his fuckup.

Best piece to come out of this whole mess:

Bad News' Barnes, No Stranger to Guns, Shocked by Arenas Tale

1/06/2010 11:30 PM ET By Chris Tomasson

Chris Tomasson
Chris Tomasson is a Senior NBA Writer for FanHouse
Marvin "Bad News" Barnes once played for a team he said was nicknamed the "Detroit Hoodlums'' due to Pistons players regularly bringing guns into the locker room.

But that was three decades ago. That's why Barnes, a former NBA forward, was stunned to hear about Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas, who has been suspended indefinitely by the NBA for bringing guns last month into the Wizards' locker room.

"I am really surprised,'' Barnes said in an interview Wednesday with FanHouse. "I didn't know they were still doing that in the NBA. That's why I'm in shock.''

Barnes said it was a common occurrence for Pistons players to bring their guns, which he said were used for protection, into the locker room when he played for them in 1976-77 and during the first part of 1977-78.

"We used to hang our guns up in the locker room,'' said Barnes, who said at least three other Detroit players brought guns to games. "It was common knowledge.''

Barnes said he regularly would take a .45 caliber pistol and a .38 snub nose revolver to games.

"If the .45 jammed, I would have the .38 as a backup gun,'' Barnes said. "It was an automatic.''

Barnes was asked if he ever pointed a gun at another player. There been reports about guns being drawn in a locker-room dispute between Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton, but they have not been confirmed.

"No, we didn't do that,'' said Barnes, saying nobody on the team ever joked around with a gun. "Guys on our team were like a family. We didn't fight each other. ... We would never (point a gun at a teammate). ... If I ever pointed a gun at you, it meant that I was going to shoot you.''

Barnes, who played in the ABA from 1974-76 and in the NBA from 1976-80 and has had numerous brushes with the law ranging from an assault conviction to drug issues to parole violations, said he never has pointed a gun at anybody, let alone shot somebody.

"Our guns were for protection,'' said Barnes, who said players would look at guns in the locker room to get an idea of what others were carrying. "Detroit, after all, was a rough town.''

Barnes said the guns he had were unregistered. He said he didn't know of any other teams that had guns in the locker room and that situation didn't exist after he left Detroit and played in the NBA for Buffalo in 1977-78, Boston in 1978-79 and the San Diego Clippers in 1979-80.

"I stopped carrying a gun after I left Detroit,'' he said. "My cowboy days were over. I had been in prison and, as a (convicted) felon, I couldn't carry a gun. That could have put me back in prison for five to 15 years.''

Barnes, 57, said he was surprised to first read of the Arenas situation because the NBA has come so far since the wild days of the 1970s. He didn't have an opinion on if the suspension of Arenas is the right move.

"What we did was 30 years ago,'' Barnes said. "But this is a different time. So I'm surprised at players still (bringing guns into the locker room).''
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:46 am

Like Cowherd said again, did Arena sleep through the whole Plaxico fiasco, I mean really how did he not know about that whole thing.

Probably a good thing many of these athletes are in fact professional athletes b/c a whole lot of them probably couldn't pass a civil service test and be a garbage man, or women.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:54 am

How is carrying a loaded gun into a night club, keeping it in your sweats and discharging it even comparable to having a few unloaded empty ass guns and playing a joke w/ them?

Was the joke dumb as hell, yeah, but it's Gil and insane practical jokes is how he roles and he'll be punished.

But comparing him to Plax is typical Cowherd saying extreme shit just to say it bs.

Cowherd's schtick is well known as nothing more than stirring shit for ratings. I liked the guy when he first came on the air, but shortly thereafter he figured out ratings meant stirring as much as possible.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:04 am

The point was not about what happened in the presence of the guns in each scenario, it was that little good could come of it, and for the most part there was no need for either situation to occur. Really nothing more than showing off, for both.

Did Gilbert do it in a more private setting, yeah sure, but if it is illegal (and it just may have been) then what really is the difference.

Jim Brown also nailed it (in his comments about Plax). These guys grew up/growing up in the hip hop pop culture days where "gangsta" is "cool". They do it for rep. It's idiotic is what it is.

These guys like 99.99% of the rest of us live amongst there financial peers. Live in places of similar incomes, similar family values etc... Some of them may have come from Deeetroit, or some E55th like hood, but they don't live there now, yet hey still act like it? Morons. They live next door to CEO's, down the street from golfers and around the block from team mates even. Those people aren't going to stab them when they see an AGEnt Zero walking down the street (they might take their investments out from under them though? :-) ) Heck they often live in gated or well protected hoods. They are the last people who truly need guns on them. Employee #8 is another perfect example.

The guy who owns his own repair shop and takes $800/day to the bank has more of a reason to carry a gun than 99% of the world.

These clowns want to act all bad and show off like their "gangstas' then fine, do time like gangsta.

FUDU

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:13 am

In this day and age, people think they are above rules, especially athletes. Very difficult to believe Arenas joked about it on the night they were in Philly with the fingers pointed at teammates. Can't remember exactly, but it looked like most everyone in the photo was laughing except for Antawn Jamison, IIRC. That took a lot of testicular fortitude to pull that one in front of an audience. Anyways.............Unloaded or not, to even bring those weapons into a locker room creates a potential problem. Not a gun afficionado but when I have been in the presence of one, I pay attention and feel a bit of uneasiness. Regardless of their upbringing and where they come from, have some common sense about your surroundings. Having/brandishing a gun is no joke.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:18 am

Let's not play favorites, Jamo laughed as well.

And FUDU, christ, I never said what Gil did was smart.

I said unloaded weapons locked in a lock box being taken out once are not in the same ball park as loaded guns in public in your sweat pants.

Gil's excuse still is he took the guns out of his home because he has young children.

And if you don't think pro athlete's almost need guns in their homes in this day and age start googling the number of NBA and NFL players that have been robbed at gun point in the last few years at home and finish by Googling Sean Taylor. These guys have been targets in their homes at an exponentially increasing rate, like it or not.

Much bigger targets than middle America repair shop guy.

Ignoring that fact just makes you a soap box beating idiot.

Again, what Gil did was very stupid and he earned his punishment (though the Wiz jumping up and down and pushing all of this to get out of their own fuckup is disgusting), but stop w/ this crappy "athletes are thugs and don't need guns" shit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:01 am

All you gotta do is.......Behave.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:09 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Let's not play favorites, Jamo laughed as well.

You are correct.

Might be the dumbest move of 2010, already.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 am

Show me the list of athletes who get robbed or get caught with guns on them in places where guns normally aren't necessary, and I will show you a list that is 95% thugs and wannabes eye. Virtually every one of those guys creates their own problem by the choice they make in who they are hanging with or where they are hanging.

FUDU

Unread postby Juannieboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:55 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Let's not play favorites, Jamo laughed as well.

And FUDU, christ, I never said what Gil did was smart.

I said unloaded weapons locked in a lock box being taken out once are not in the same ball park as loaded guns in public in your sweat pants.

Gil's excuse still is he took the guns out of his home because he has young children.

And if you don't think pro athlete's almost need guns in their homes in this day and age start googling the number of NBA and NFL players that have been robbed at gun point in the last few years at home and finish by Googling Sean Taylor. These guys have been targets in their homes at an exponentially increasing rate, like it or not.

Much bigger targets than middle America repair shop guy.

Ignoring that fact just makes you a soap box beating idiot.

Again, what Gil did was very stupid and he earned his punishment (though the Wiz jumping up and down and pushing all of this to get out of their own fuckup is disgusting), but stop w/ this crappy "athletes are thugs and don't need guns" shit.

Follow the twisted logic here:

Athletes need guns to protect themselves in their own homes.

Dilbert takes guns out of home to protect his young children from the guns he has brought into his home to protect his family.

Pro athletes are bigger targets and should carry guns to protect themselves more than a small businessman should but athletes should not carry loaded guns to protect themselves is (in-fixed) public.

The Wiz management are disgusting because they made him a multi-millionaire and now want to take advantage of Dilbert because he brought guns into the workplace.

If you ignore this you are an......idiot.
Last edited by Juannieboy on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:58 am

Arenas's story of bringing the guns into the locker room to get them out of his house seems a bit sketchy, given the fact they were used as props for an intended joke on Crittenton. It would appear he was fibbing with the initial story, but that's me.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:01 am

Not to mention it was reported and confirmed by the Miami PD that Taylor was a victim of pro's that didn't choose his house b/c he was Sean Taylor, but b/c it was believed to be an empty house.

Either way, Sean Taylor = 1.

I just hope all this Gilbert Gump stuff leads to Jamison being a Cavalier.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:10 am

I have plenty of guns in my house and I have kids.

I've never taken them to work in favor of explaining them to my kids or buying a a really nice thumb print gun safe for $2500 or so.

I've also never pulled a prank involving guns at work because most businesses fail to find it funny.

I haven't pulled a prank with guns with friends because it's simply fucking stupid to clown with them.

I haven't played a joke with a gun on someone else who has a gun because that's a better than average way to get yourself shot.

Playing with guns ain't funny.
Taking them to work ain't a good idea.
Making light of doing both in the huddle of a game is really fucking stupid when you're already on the comish's shit list.

And you know what? When the law comes down on DWest ina few months I'll still feel the same way.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:17 am

I have 3, errr I mean 1 hand gun.

Keep it loaded 24/7/365 within arms reach of when I am sleeping (yeah call me Tacklberry), only time I unload it is when I have nieces & nephews coming over. They are at that age when they like to wander the house and "explore" while being old enough and big enough to get their hands on it.

FUDU

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 am

Never owned a gun, probably never will.

My dad? Big time hunter, lots of guns.

There was never a question about the location of his guns. Or who touched the guns. Ever.

Only people that have a problem with their own guns in their own house are the people that should not own guns.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby waborat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 am

Peek & Pup, your above posts might just be THE smartest things I've ever read from you guys...

And that says a lot...

:salute:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 am

Did waborat just call you two tweedle dee & tweedle dum?

FUDU

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA