Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Minor Cavs Deal Coming?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Minor Cavs Deal Coming?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Per Windy's Twitter:

PDcavsinsider

Chance Cavs will make roster move this week. 4 guys with nonguaranteed deals leaves them in position to make a minor trade. 1 minute ago from TweetDeck
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Minor Cavs Deal Coming?

Unread postby scott » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:48 pm

What can they get for Koby Carl? Not someone who can crack the rotation.

I guess seeing them build for the future would be a good sign with regards to Brons plans after this year.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:10 pm

My guess is it's either a Mike Wilks type of end-of-the-bench player, or an aging guy who has some experience, but not a lot of talent. Don't expect anything exciting.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:22 pm

ahhh Mike Wilks

I thought he was decent with us
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:35 pm

This could also help align the roster for a bigger deal between now and the deadline. You move a couple of players for one player and it creates some more roster flexibility, without having to buy guys out.

Nonguaranteed contracts are something of a misnomer. The financial obligation isn't zero. There are still buyout and severance issues to deal with if you let a player go, particularly if you've kept guys all year like the Cavs have.

I'm not saying it's a definite precursor to a bigger trade, but this might be a step taken by Ferry to help position the Cavs to react more quickly between now and the deadline. Particularly if they use Wally in a S&T, which would mean adding a player without removing a player from the roster, or taking on a bad contract as a condition of acquiring the player they really want.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:59 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/01/looming_contract_deadline_date.html

Windy article outlining the reasons why the Cavs might make a move.
papacass

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Minor?

ESPN was speculating on jamieson talks resuming as the Wiz may blow it sepcularing Zero gets Plexicoed. If he brndished 4 guns outside his home, that's 4 felony counts in DC.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:21 pm

JB wrote:Minor?

ESPN was speculating on jamieson talks resuming as the Wiz may blow it sepcularing Zero gets Plexicoed. If he brndished 4 guns outside his home, that's 4 felony counts in DC.

NBA's gonna hammer Arenas whether or not the law does. He's done for the year at least.

Whether that's the impetus behind dealing Jamison or not I have no idea. And whether they would ever trade him to Cleveland is another story. It'll all come down to talent back but if the deal is equal between Cavs and someone else I can't see them trading Jamison to Cleveland unless he's held in ridiculously favorable regard and they're looking to do him a favor.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 pm

JB wrote:ESPN was speculating on jamieson talks resuming as the Wiz may blow it sepcularing Zero gets Plexicoed. If he brndished 4 guns outside his home, that's your typical Tuesday afternnon in DC
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Peeker643 wrote:

NBA's gonna hammer Arenas whether or not the law does. He's done for the year at least.

Whether that's the impetus behind dealing Jamison or not I have no idea. And whether they would ever trade him to Cleveland is another story. It'll all come down to talent back but if the deal is equal between Cavs and someone else I can't see them trading Jamison to Cleveland unless he's held in ridiculously favorable regard and they're looking to do him a favor.

They'd need to get a third team involved. That's the only way I could see Jamison ending up in Cleveland.
papacass

Unread postby scott » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Making room for Rafer Alston?

I'd take that.

edit: Windhort says no.
scott

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:23 pm

scott wrote:Making room for Rafer Alston?

I'd take that.

edit: Windhort says no.

I bet Orlando and Boston are both going to seriously consider adding Skip, if for no other reason than he's a good matchup against the Cavs. Skip's outburst in Game 4 of the ECF is still fresh in everyone's mind.
papacass

Unread postby scott » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Sounds like the Heat are the front runners for Alston.
scott

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Jamison just isn't going to happen but yet i can't stop thinking and hoping and wishing
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Alston has been traded to the Heat for Chris Quinn.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:06 am

Peeker643 wrote:

Where was Delonte West picked up? What's going to be done with him by the NBA? :hide:
Jamison might still be dealt. The Wizards are a poo poo platter.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 am

fundamentals wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Where was Delonte West picked up? What's going to be done with him by the NBA? :hide:

Delonte was picked up Maryland, I believe DC has stricter laws. Concerning the NBA I think they will snap the whip even harder because it was IN the locker room. That, I think, is going to be the difference in punishment they will receive from the NBA.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 am

fundamentals wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

You're not that dumb Funds, don't play it out like you are.

Go ahead and have a weapon or four in your car when pulled over.

Now go ahead and take three of them into your classroom and draw down on another teacher over a gambling debt and see if there aren't more severe ramifications.

I'm thinking your employer would probably have issues regardless of how the law handles it, no?

Common sense.

He's done for the year.
Last edited by peeker643 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 am

Ziner wrote:Delonte was picked up Maryland, I believe DC has stricter laws. Concerning the NBA I think they will snap the whip even harder because it was IN the locker room. That, I think, is going to be the difference in punishment they will receive from the NBA.

That's the key. Delonte was out of the NBA sphere when he was arrested. It's still punishable, but if you cause problems in the practice facility, locker room or game, it's a whole other level of bad.

Going back to what a few of us said in September, S-Jax was given seven games for actually firing a gun outside a nightclub when he was with the Pacers. The incident where he ended up on the hood of a car. Based on that, Redz shouldn't get any more than what Jax got. Probably less, like 5-6 games. And the suspension almost certainly won't be levied until the legal proceedings have reached a conclusion.

In David Stern's eyes, what Arenas did was probably closer to Ron Artest starting a riot in Auburn Hills than to Redz getting arrested on the open road. It's messing with the safety, perceived or real, of an NBA-sanctioned area. For that, Stern will almost certainly give Arenas an atomic wedgie-level suspension.
papacass

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:31 am

PC: Thinking ahead, should we edit the title and make this the official trade deadline/discussion thread?
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
You're not that dumb Funds, don't play it out like you are.

Go ahead and have a weapon or four in your car when pulled over.

Now go ahead and take three of them into your classroom and draw down on another teacher over a gambling debt and see if there aren't more severe ramifications.

I'm thinking your employer would probably have issues regardless of how the law handles it, no?

Common sense.

He's done for the year.

I wasn't trying to be dumb. I already am. My post was more along the lines of oh man, if Arenas is going to get dumped for the year, might the NBA lay the hammer down on West as well, guess my clarity wasn't good there, sorry about that.

I thought it was in D.C., couldn't remember.

Great points made about it taking place in an NBA locker room as opposed to being out on the interstate or wherever West was.

Jamison would be a great acquistion, should the opportunity arise.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:PC: Thinking ahead, should we edit the title and make this the official trade deadline/discussion thread?

Nah. We'll just start a new one a couple weeks before the deadline. By then, this thread will have disintegrated into an argument over Andy Varejao's overratedness, Mike Brown's incompetence or why Danny Ferry should be fired.

"We're a happy family"

--The Ramones

:group:
papacass

Unread postby hugerobot » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:53 pm

PDcavsinsider

Signs point to the Cavs waiving Coby Karl today.

say it ain't so!
hugerobot

Favorite Player: Lebron James
Least Favorite Player: Derek Anderson

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:55 pm

hugerobot wrote:PDcavsinsider

Signs point to the Cavs waiving Coby Karl today.

say it ain't so!

I was wondering who that white dude nailed to the end of the bench was.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:26 pm

And thus ends the minor deal talk. If Coby Karl is sent packing, there aren't any Cavs trades going down this week.
papacass

Unread postby daddywags » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Papa Cass wrote:And thus ends the minor deal talk. If Coby Karl is sent packing, there aren't any Cavs trades going down this week.

I thought that was part of the deal process. Waive the player today, clears waivers on Friday or Saturday, so he can be traded and immediately cut on Saturday or Sunday. At least, that's what I thought I read somewhere about this potential "minor deal." Could be wrong.
daddywags

Unread postby g00p » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Karl has been released.
g00p

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Didnt think this warranted its own thread but these comments have me LMAO.
Gooden's case is totally different. The Mavs are relieved to have him for the season, as evidenced this week when coach Rick Carlisle spoke glowingly about how hard Gooden "pursues the ball" whether it's off the boards or on the floor...

"I've been in so many different places and teams with high expectations," Gooden said recently. "On every team I did what I was supposed to do. No matter what they say, I always found a way.

"I'm gonna play my ass off this year, hopefully go deep in the playoffs and then we start all over with the business side. Rebounding and playing my ass off, I will always do that."
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby diminishingskills » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Didnt think this warranted its own thread but these comments have me LMAO.
Gooden's case is totally different. The Mavs are relieved to have him for the season, as evidenced this week when coach Rick Carlisle spoke glowingly about how hard Gooden "pursues the ball" whether it's off the boards or on the floor...

"I've been in so many different places and teams with high expectations," Gooden said recently. "On every team I did what I was supposed to do. No matter what they say, I always found a way.

"I'm gonna play my ass off this year, hopefully go deep in the playoffs and then we start all over with the business side. Rebounding and playing my ass off, I will always do that."

Funniest thing I've ever seen that didn't involve two guys driving on a moped to Aspen.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 am

DiminishingSkills wrote:

Funniest thing I've ever seen that didn't involve two guys driving on a moped to Aspen.

Gooden does, in fact, play his ass off. He's just distracted by bunnies and shiny objects.
papacass

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:24 pm

More Gooden humor:

Just for shits n giggles I went to check out his +/- numbers. They are downright mindboggling.

For a 25-12 team, Gooden has been -107.

To put that in perspective: It is the worst number of any player outside of Minnesota, NJ, Golden State, Chicago and Washington.

The next 2 worst players on playoff teams are Jose Calderon's -87 (and the Raptors have not been a playoff team at all when he's played) and Josh Powell's -72.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA