Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

AI and TMac all-stars?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

AI and TMac all-stars?

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:42 pm

This is just absurd.

Changes are needed in the process.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4786715
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: AI and TMac all-stars?

Unread postby papacass » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:03 pm

The change that needs to be made: Re-naming the game the "NBA All-Popular Game."

If you let the fans choose the starters, they're going to vote in who they like. Hand-in-hand with that are the votes of a lot of fans who don't realize that it's no longer 2002, Karl Malone has retired, A.I. is no longer a ghetto icon, and T-Mac and Vinsanity are no longer the second and third best SGs in the league behind Kobe.

It's like if you gave a vote to the dude in the African village who is rocking out to his Kriss-Kross cassette and wearing a Cleveland Indians 1995 World Series Champions t-shirt.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Come on now Cass. Even a lot of the media, who supposedly follow the association more than real fans, have a difficult time recognizing when past stars are former stars. It takes at least 3 years for them to realize that a guy like Shaq, Rasheed, AI, Vince, Kidd, Marion, or anyone else is merely a role player and not a super duper game changer.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:14 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Come on now Cass. Even a lot of the media, who supposedly follow the association more than real fans, have a difficult time recognizing when past stars are former stars. It takes at least 3 years for them to realize that a guy like Shaq, Rasheed, AI, Vince, Kidd, Marion, or anyone else is merely a role player and not a super duper game changer.

Is it not 100% fan voting?

IMO if fans are going to be given a vote (which they should) it should be handicapped or some qualifications need set for the players in regards to games played or something? Maybe 50% NBA 25/25 media/fans?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:21 pm

FUDU wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:Come on now Cass. Even a lot of the media, who supposedly follow the association more than real fans, have a difficult time recognizing when past stars are former stars. It takes at least 3 years for them to realize that a guy like Shaq, Rasheed, AI, Vince, Kidd, Marion, or anyone else is merely a role player and not a super duper game changer.

IMO if fans are going to be given a vote (which they should) it should be handicapped or some qualifications need set for the players in regards to games played or something? Maybe 50% NBA 25/25 media/fans?

Starters are 100% fan voting. Believe the rest is coaches/players?

My point was just in general.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby papacass » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:44 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Starters are 100% fan voting. Believe the rest is coaches/players?

My point was just in general.

Coaches in each conference pick the reserves and cannot vote for their own players. Commissioner must appoint a replacement if a starter or reserve is injured or traded to the other conference before the game. That's how Mo got the nod last year.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Juannieboy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:48 am

FUDU wrote:

Why not base a players eligibility on.....say... 30 minutes per game of games played by each players team? That would take care of McGrady, injured players and the washed-up has beens.
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby JJN » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:41 am

Juannieboy wrote:Why not base a players eligibility on.....say... 30 minutes per game of games played by each players team? That would take care of McGrady, injured players and the washed-up has beens.

Shaq averaged 30.0 minutes last year. I think he deserved the nod for his performance last year, but going into the break, he might have been under 30 minutes. I don't like the idea of a minute criteria. I would rather just completely get rid of the fan based portion. I think the coaches/players could do better, and we wouldn't end up snubbing Deron Williams because T-Mac plays with China's favorite son.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA