Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Maybe they should go back to being called the Bullets??

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Maybe they should go back to being called the Bullets??

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:46 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4787825

NEW YORK -- Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other during a Christmas Eve locker room argument over a gambling debt, according to The New York Post.

Last week, the Wizards and Arenas acknowledged that Arenas had stored unloaded firearms in a container in his locker, and the NBA said it was looking into the situation.

It was during that investigation that a confrontation between Arenas and Crittenton was revealed, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

The dispute stemmed from an unspecified disagreement, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Citing an anonymous source, the newspaper reported in Friday's edition, however, that the standoff was sparked when Crittenton became angry at Arenas for refusing to make good on a gambling debt.

That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources tell the Post.

Asked by the Post about the confrontation, Arenas denied pulling a gun on Crittenton.

"This is unprecedented in the history of sports," Billy Hunter, executive director of the Player's Association, told the Post. "I've never heard of players pulling guns on each other in a locker room."

The Wizards said on the night of Dec. 24 that Arenas had stored unloaded firearms in a container in his locker at the arena and that the NBA was looking into the situation.

On Tuesday, Washington, D.C. police said they were investigating a report that weapons were found inside a locker room at the Verizon Center.

Now, the federal government is also involved. Ben Friedman, a spokesman for the US Attorney's Office in DC, told the Post "we're working with the Metropolitan Police Department on the investigation."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Re: Maybe they should go back to being called the Bullets??

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Amazing. And funny, cause Simmons actually proposed the Wizards going back to the Bullets name in his latest column ... for reasons other than this one.

Stern is going to go ape shit. Would loved to have been a fly on the wall in his office when he got this news. Looking at massive suspensions if this is true.

Which ironically, is going to be great for the Bullets, cause its gonna increase their chances of getting the PG from Kentucky.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Gilbert Arenas is an idiot. This is just the most pointed example of why.

I don't care if he can shoot the lights out when healthy (which is almost never). I would never want him on my team. Arenas is every bit as cancerous as A.I. or T-Mac.

The only time Arenas would ever win an NBA title is as mop-boy to LeBron or Kobe. He is not a winner.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Anglefan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:08 pm

He's gone for the season. Not sure if that's really a punishment to him or the Wizards though. How about they make him play and ban the team from the lottery this year?
Anglefan

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:15 pm

Cue all the bad Gil Arenas "gunner" and "Shooter" jokes.

Classic NBA action.

Pullin' pieces in the lockerroom, as Jimmy the Gent would say, What's the world comin' to?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Juannieboy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Unbelievably stupid move here Dilbert. Agent Zero huh? Does the Zero stand for your I.Q?
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Juannieboy wrote:Unbelievably stupid move here Dilbert. Agent Zero huh? Does the Zero stand for your I.Q?

The NBA. Where bringing gats to the locker room because you didn't want to square a gambling debt with a teammate happens.
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:26 pm

I feel kind of bad for Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler. Two legitimate players, stuck in that lottery-bound loony bin in Washington, playing alongside comic relief like Arenas, Stevenson and Haywood.

If the Cavs could trade for Jamison, it would be considered a humanitarian effort.
papacass

Unread postby Juannieboy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Ea$t $ide wrote:
Juannieboy wrote:Unbelievably stupid move here Dilbert. Agent Zero huh? Does the Zero stand for your I.Q?

The NBA. Where bringing gats to the locker room because you didn't want to square a gambling debt with a teammate happens.

BTW, contrast this with the Rednecks in NASCAR who would just try to punch each other. :hide:
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby SDM » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:16 pm

A fiasco like this can prompt trades. Maybe for Jamison even.
SDM

Favorite Player: Delonte West
Least Favorite Player: Bruce Lee Bowen

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Am I the only one who was surprised by this? I guess I just bought into all the "Agent Zero/Hibachi" media-spin-hype, but I always placed Arenas as the quirky eccentric rather than the violent thug-life enthusiast. Color me naive, I suppose.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby DrPoove » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Papa Cass wrote:I feel kind of bad for Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler. Two legitimate players, stuck in that lottery-bound loony bin in Washington, playing alongside comic relief like Arenas, Stevenson and Haywood.

If the Cavs could trade for Jamison, it would be considered a humanitarian effort.

Only feel bad for Jamison, IMHO. Total class act 24/7.

Butler is and always will be a punk. Anyone who nicknames himself "Tough Juice" need not be felt sorry for.

In the 10 years I lived in DC Jamison is the only Le Bullet/Whiztards player I ever respected or enjoyed watching play.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Didn't Shaq nail Arenas' fiance? Way to downward spiral there Gilbert... :salute:
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby davemanddd » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Juannieboy wrote:
Ea$t $ide wrote:

BTW, contrast this with the Rednecks in NASCAR who would just try to punch each other. :hide:

they throw their helmets too.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:56 pm

DrPoove wrote:
Papa Cass wrote:I feel kind of bad for Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler. Two legitimate players, stuck in that lottery-bound loony bin in Washington, playing alongside comic relief like Arenas, Stevenson and Haywood.

Only feel bad for Jamison, IMHO. Total class act 24/7.

Butler is and always will be a punk. Anyone who nicknames himself "Tough Juice" need not be felt sorry for.

In the 10 years I lived in DC Jamison is the only Le Bullet/Whiztards player I ever respected or enjoyed watching play.

I feel sorry for Butler in that his talents are being wasted on that team. He's not a class act in the same way Jamison is, but he has game. Unlike Arenas and Stevenson, who only think they have game.
papacass

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:22 am

Today's version of the story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4789650

Sources: Dispute began over card game
Comment Email Print Share
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

A dispute that began on the team plane and resumed more than 24 hours later in the team's locker room between Washington Wizards guards Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton is at the center of an investigation by local and federal authorities into Arenas' recent admission of gun possession on Wizards property, according to sources close to the situation.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that an argument commenced during a card game on the team's overnight flight back to Washington from Phoenix on Dec. 19 and escalated into a heated exchange between Arenas and Crittenton. The Wizards had Dec. 20 off, but sources say the hostilities resumed Dec. 21 in the locker room on a practice day.

Sources say that Arenas, in response to what was said on the flight, placed three guns he owns on a chair near Crittenton's locker stall and invited him to pick one before practice on Dec. 21. Sources said that Crittenton subsequently let Arenas know that he had his own gun.

The New York Post, quoting league security sources, reported in Friday's editions that Arenas and Crittenton pulled guns on each other over a gambling debt during the pre-practice confrontation at the Verizon Center.

The Washington Post, in a story posted on its Web site Friday night, quoted Arenas as saying, "That's not the real story." The newspaper also reported that the argument between Arenas and Crittenton was over "who had the bigger gun" and that there was never any intent to physically harm Crittenton, according to "a person who has spoken with Arenas recently."

It is not known how many other Wizards players were in the locker room at the time of the clash. The Wizards and Arenas have maintained since Dec. 24, when the team publicly confirmed that Arenas had stored three guns in a locked box in his locker, that the firearms were unloaded.

In an interview with the New York Daily News, Nets guard Devin Harris, a sixth-year veteran and 2009 All-Star, estimated that 60 to 75 percent of NBA players owned guns.

"I mean, look at the situation," said Harris, who told the newspaper he did not own a gun. "A lot of guys have been robbed. A couple of guys, God rest their souls, have passed away. I guess they feel like they need some sort of protection, I don't know. I can't speak for everybody."

If either Arenas or Crittenton is found to have brandished a gun against his teammate, long-term suspensions and heavy fines from NBA commissioner David Stern would appear to be likely, given the ever-rising levels of Stern's distaste for any hint of violence in the league in the wake of the infamous Indiana-Detroit brawl in November 2004.

The league office, though, is expected to wait to see whether local or federal charges are filed in the case before determining the scale of potential punishments.

Arenas spoke briefly with reporters Friday afternoon following Washington's practice and also made numerous statements via his Twitter account disputing the New York Post's report, which alleges that Crittenton became angry at Arenas for refusing to make good on a gambling debt, prompting Arenas to pull a gun first and Crittenton to respond by grabbing his own gun.

The Washington Post reported Friday afternoon that Arenas is threatening to sue the New York Post. The Washington Post also spoke to Arenas' father, Gilbert Arenas Sr., who said: "From the respect of guns being pulled in the locker room and at each other... that's ludicrous. [Gilbert Jr.] bringing the guns to the locker room to keep away from his kids, that's true. [But] Gil did not pull a gun on anybody. That's about all that I can say."

Arenas eventually turned his three guns in to team security and later told reporters -- after a CBSSports.com report on Christmas Eve revealed that Arenas was being investigated for violating league rules on gun possession -- that he brought them to the workplace because he no longer wanted them in his house after the birth of his third child in early December.

District of Columbia police officials immediately began looking into the matter and announced in a statement Wednesday, without naming any names or providing further details, that they have begun assisting the U.S. Attorney's Office in a joint probe into "an allegation that weapons were located inside a locker room at the Verizon Center."

Through a series of tweets, Arenas appeared Friday to be trying to downplay the severity of the situation in his usual glib manner. But the potential range of punishments would figure to be severe given the stricter-than-usual gun laws in the District of Columbia and the NBA's rules forbidding gun possession on league property.

Although no action from the league office is expected until the legal process plays out, which is the NBA norm, Stern is bound to take an especially dim view of the whole episode in deference to late Wizards owner Abe Pollin, who changed the team's nickname from Bullets to Wizards in 1997 in part because he was so profoundly affected by the assassination of former Israeli prime minister and close friend Yitzhak Rabin. Until his death in November, Pollin was as close to Stern as any NBA owner.

"There is an active investigation by D.C. law enforcement authorities, which we are monitoring closely," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said Friday. "We are not taking any independent action at this time."

The Wizards, in a statement issued Friday, said: "We take this situation and the ongoing investigation very seriously. We are continuing to cooperate fully with the proper authorities and the NBA and will have no further comment at this time."

In Friday's New York Post report, Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld is quoted as saying: "It's in the hands of the authorities. We're going to get to the bottom of this, if there is a bottom to this."

The controversy is the latest and possibly biggest setback in Washington's highly disappointing 10-20 start. Arenas is averaging 22.7 points and 6.9 assists after missing much of the past two seasons because of multiple surgeries on his left knee, but there is already considerable curiosity -- not only in the media but among rival teams watching the drama unfold -- whether the Wizards will eventually try to void the remainder of Arenas' mammoth six-year, $111 million contract because of this serious nature of this incident.

Arenas may not play Saturday against the San Antonio Spurs because of soreness in his left knee, Wizards head coach Flip Saunders told The Washington Post on Friday. Saunders would not comment on the reported dispute between Arenas and Crittenton.

Crittenton has not played all season because of an ankle injury and declined comment Friday when reached by the Washington Post. Crittenton's new agent, Mark Bartelstein, also declined comment Friday.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com
Ea$t $ide

Unread postby jb » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:41 am

That's so G, they should replace Tiger for gator aide.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:18 pm

The we need protection argument is so so old, and weak.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby DrPoove » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Papa Cass wrote:I feel sorry for Butler in that his talents are being wasted on that team. He's not a class act in the same way Jamison is, but he has game. Unlike Arenas and Stevenson, who only think they have game.

I would agree with that take.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby mack07 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:47 pm

SDM wrote:A fiasco like this can prompt trades. Maybe for Jamison even.
that was my thought too
mack07

Favorite Player: lebron
Least Favorite Player: peralta

Unread postby Zé Apelido » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:10 am

Zé Apelido

Favorite Player: Manute Bol
Least Favorite Player: Romanowski

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA