Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

goose neck???

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

goose neck???

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:12 am

can somebody please tell me what is the story behind this supposed "goose neck" sign the cavs are doing??? fred mcclunk and uncle austin continuously carp about it during the games and it's actually very annoying to listen to them. it looks more like an "eagle eye" sign which would make more sense since they seem to do it mostly on their 3-point makes.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Re: goose neck???

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 am

From Windhorst's article on Sunday. Doesn't specifically give a reason why it's called "gooseneck" but....

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/12/a_season_of_xl_expectations_cl.html

A couple of times a season, James has a game where he does something so remarkable that it is nearly numbing. He had one of them tonight against a surging Thunder team. He made a string of 3-pointers, each one appearing deeper than the previous when he knocked down three of them in a 63-second span, to help the Cavs get a key road victory.

After each, he'd stare back at the Cavs' bench, making a circle with his index finger and thumb and slamming it against his eye with the other three fingers exposed. A gooseneck is what the Cavs call it, one of their little inside jokes. Anyone who makes a 3-pointer has the right to stare at the bench and receive those goosenecks in return.

These are the little bonding exercises that have kept the team close during the past two seasons. Usually it is James who comes up with them, but it is how they spread through the team that creates a chemistry. Earlier in the season, it was a tap on the arm, like a manager calling to the bullpen for a reliever, that had caught on whenever James came into the game and played well in the fourth quarter.

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby papacass » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:29 am

Maybe it's like a James Bond thing. Like the fingers are the rifling on the gun barrel. I dunno.

papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Doc » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:40 am

The goose neck, IIRC, was from Jamario Moon. I remember him explaining the goose neck as the way his arm is pointed when releasing a jump shot. It was from a pre-game interview or something with McLeod.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby CharacterIV » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:57 am

Papa Cass wrote:Maybe it's like a James Bond thing. Like the fingers are the rifling on the gun barrel. I dunno.

I like this. That's the explanation I'm going with. I noticed during Z's barrage against Sacramento they were throwing up double-goosenecks. I guess they'd run out of hands by the last one, though.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA