Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Weekend Dime on possible Z for Jamison trade

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Weekend Dime on possible Z for Jamison trade

Unread postby Message Board User » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:24 am

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/ ... ter-awards

The two Wizards who continue to draw the most interest from rival teams are forwards Caron Butler (who will have an array of Western Conference suitors when Washington decides that it's finally ready to break up its core) and Antawn Jamison (who is fiercely loyal but quite frustrated, as I hear it, by the ongoing disarray with the Wiz).

Jamison has been on the Cavaliers' radar for some time, as the ever-reliable Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reminded us in his column last weekend, but it's believed that Cleveland would only do a Zydrunas Ilgauskas-for-Jamison deal if it knew that the Wizards were prepared to release Ilgauskas after consummating the trade. Big Z could then re-sign with the Cavs after a 30-day wait, as seen last season, when Antonio McDyess was dealt from Detroit to Denver in the Allen Iverson deal and later rejoined the Pistons.

Yet I'm told that the Wizards (A) would insist on at least one more asset because they are not prepared to part with Butler or Jamison merely for cap relief and (B) would do everything they could to avoid sending Jamison to Cleveland because of the tension that has built up in recent years between those teams.
Message Board User

Re: Weekend Dime on possible Z for Jamison trade

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:40 am

I would do a Z, JJ and Boobie for Jamison if the Wiz would release Z and let us have him back....Is that enough? Too much?
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Unread postby Guest » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 am

Anyone who would support a Z trade is a Cleveland sports hypocrite and can never disparage Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Art Modell, or Carlos Boozer again.

Unread postby CharacterIV » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 am

GodHatesClevelandSports wrote:Anyone who would support a Z trade is a Cleveland sports hypocrite and can never disparage Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Art Modell, or Carlos Boozer again.

Really? With the seeming inevitability of a buyout for Z (very few teams are looking to acquire 30-something Centers who don't play down low and have artificial feet) I'd consider it more of a 30-day vacation for big Z. He'd very likely not even report to his new team. At this point, for anybody but us he's cap relief, which is a very valuable asset. I fail to see the connection or hypocrisy between trading Z's contract and then resigning the actual player and being critical of Belle, Thome, Ramirez, Boozer or Modell. That lot did what they did for money. The Cavs may trade Z so that they have a better chance at winning. Sacrificing loyalty for money is one thing, sacrificing loyalty for the chance to win a Championship is entirely another. With Z, we get what we want (talent) and the Wiz would get what they want (cap relief) and Z even gets what he wants (30 days to rest his aching feet, another chance at a ring.)
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:03 pm

It is not going to happen but it's a lovely thought
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:08 pm

CharacterIV wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSports wrote:Anyone who would support a Z trade is a Cleveland sports hypocrite and can never disparage Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Art Modell, or Carlos Boozer again.

Really? With the seeming inevitability of a buyout for Z (very few teams are looking to acquire 30-something Centers who don't play down low and have artificial feet) I'd consider it more of a 30-day vacation for big Z. He'd very likely not even report to his new team. At this point, for anybody but us he's cap relief, which is a very valuable asset. I fail to see the connection or hypocrisy between trading Z's contract and then resigning the actual player and being critical of Belle, Thome, Ramirez, Boozer or Modell. That lot did what they did for money. The Cavs may trade Z so that they have a better chance at winning. Sacrificing loyalty for money is one thing, sacrificing loyalty for the chance to win a Championship is entirely another. With Z, we get what we want (talent) and the Wiz would get what they want (cap relief) and Z even gets what he wants (30 days to rest his aching feet, another chance at a ring.)

If the Cavs' plan is to trade Z then re-sign him after 30 days when the new team cuts him, that's fine.

If the plan is to throw him overboard in pursuit of a championship because it is deemed the only way to get one, it's hypocritical and unacceptable. Z has earned the right to play out his contract and try to win a championship with the only team he has ever known. If he goes in pursuit of the almighty championship, it is no different than any person who has left Cleveland for the money and/or a better chance to win a title.

Unread postby papacass » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:21 pm

At this point, Z is finally playing well, and you'd have to wonder what 30 days away from game action would do to his jumper. As we saw at the start of the season, if Z's jumper isn't falling, he's a slower version of Shawn Bradley. That's something to consider when talking about a Z trade-and-buyout scenario. When would rest turn to rust?

Z isn't off limits for a trade, but I'm starting to think that Ferry might be leaning more toward trying to make something work with Wally's trade rights. The only way Z gets moved is for someone the caliber of Jamison, or better. And I question whether a deal like that can come together between now and the deadline.

I can't see the Wizards trading Jamison to the Cavs, or any East contender for that matter, unless the deal is just mind-blowing from Washington's perspective. I think the Wizards still view themselves as a playoff team going through a rough stretch, and they'd be extremely hesitant to deal Jamison to a team that could torment them with him for the next how-many-ever years. If Jamison is moved, chances are it would be to a West team. Compound that with the tension between the Cavs and Wizards, and I don't see how a deal like this realistically happens.

I'll mention Troy Murphy again. Stretch four, 6'-11" starting PF, not happy with his situation in Indiana, owed upwards of $12 million next year, Pacers aren't contending and would probably take an expiring deal just to get him off their books. Not a glamour name, and I'm sure some fans would complain about the pickup. But he fits the Cavs' needs and he's available. That's probably the type of player we're looking at.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA