Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Simmons' GM Article

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Simmons' GM Article

Unread postby CharacterIV » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Good read here, folks. Guy knows how it goes. Or should go. Admits he was wrong, wrong, wrong about Tyreke Evans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ortCat=nba

I like many of the suggestions made about the Cavaliers' options (even if some of them are pretty far-fetched, especially the New Orleans mega-deal) but I think he may have forgotten about Wally's status in a Van Horn-style deal.

I don't think Ferry trades Shaq. He put too much of his reputation into this experiment to admit that it's a failure. I'm not even resigned to the fact that it is a failure, playoff Shaq may be an entirely different animal than regular season Shaq. But so far, Shaq has not impressed. LA on X-Mas will be a good litmus test. If he can get Bynum in foul trouble, dominate the boards, and we win, I'll feel better. Obviously.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Re: Simmons' GM Article

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm

If the N.O. deal went down, I take the rest of the week off and celebrate the impending championships.

No way in hell it goes down but his analysis on the after-math of the trade was spot-on.

Great read from Simmons and agree wholeheartedly with every position or trade he has on the Cavs. This team MUST make a move and I truly believe the move is Shaq out of Cleveland...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Favorite quote:
(By the way, have you noticed all the different ways Cleveland can improve in the next two months? As a Celtics fan, I am getting progressively more terrified as this column keeps going. And I was already scared. Did you see them blow away Phoenix with small ball and LeBron playing power forward the other night? That was the best quarter I've seen any team play this season. As I tweeted that night, Cleveland's small-ball lineup is poop-in-your-pants terrifying. Thank God Mike Brown hasn't noticed.)

I don't see the Cavaliers standing pat come trade time, just don't see it. There will be a shake up, just a question of who is sent out and what can be obtained.

I won't take much stock as to what happens on Christmas Day against the Lakers. It's one game and to be the NBA champs, you will have to beat them in a seven game series. The one thing that bugs me is I am not sure the current group of Cavaliers can beat the combo of Boston, Orlando and then the Western champ in back to back to back series, but that's just me.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:54 pm

That trade sounds too ridiculous for even that guy that comes in posting reeediculous trades.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby scott » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:01 pm

FUDU wrote:That trade sounds too ridiculous for even that guy that comes in posting reeediculous trades.

No shit. If anything close to this came true you wouldn't be able to convince me that the entire league is rigged and they want Bron to stay in Cleve.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby CharacterIV » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:29 pm

scott wrote:
FUDU wrote:That trade sounds too ridiculous for even that guy that comes in posting reeediculous trades.

No shit. If anything close to this came true you wouldn't be able to convince me that the entire league is rigged and they want Bron to stay in Cleve.

I can't entirely disagree, but N'awlins is hemmorhaging money. Sure, giving away the franchise isn't the best way to get butts in the seats, but when it's between selling a little bit and paying a lot less and making a good amount and paying a ton more (especially in luxury taxes) it's hard to not go with that. Better to have a bad team or a bankrupt team?
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby papacass » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:05 pm

CharacterIV wrote:I can't entirely disagree, but N'awlins is hemmorhaging money. Sure, giving away the franchise isn't the best way to get butts in the seats, but when it's between selling a little bit and paying a lot less and making a good amount and paying a ton more (especially in luxury taxes) it's hard to not go with that. Better to have a bad team or a bankrupt team?

Not to attack the Hornets' cancer-stricken owner too hard, but George Shinn is making a run at Don Sterling's claim to the Ted Stepien Memorial Worst Owner Award. He's one of the least-rich owners in the NBA. Dude makes the Dolans' financial shortcomings look like a drop in the bucket. He alienated his way out of one town and might be doing it again. Probably only stayed loyal to NOLA after Katrina because of the PR disaster that would have ensued if he'd permanently moved the team when the city was totally devastated.

But his team isn't making money in NOLA by a long shot, and he's definitely looking to greener pastures. That team is probably going to be elsewhere in the next five years.

I'd think that CP3 is the only untouchable on the Hornets' roster. They'd only trade him if he told management that he's definitely gone as FA, and that hasn't happened yet.

Other than that, if you are interested in David West, Emeka Okfaor or anyone else on the Bugs' roster, I think they'll be having a Presidents Day Blowout Sale in February. Might want to check the Sunday newspaper.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:37 pm

Papa Cass wrote:I'd think that CP3 is the only untouchable on the Hornets' roster. They'd only trade him if he told management that he's definitely gone as FA, and that hasn't happened yet.

Dunno, Cass. If the Bugs are Desperate with a capital D to unload salary, I can easily see everyone outside of MJ and Chris Wallace pushing hard for CP3. Like the old Bill Cosby routine: "How long can you tread water?"
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby papacass » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Papa Cass wrote:I'd think that CP3 is the only untouchable on the Hornets' roster. They'd only trade him if he told management that he's definitely gone as FA, and that hasn't happened yet.

Dunno, Cass. If the Bugs are Desperate with a capital D to unload salary, I can easily see everyone outside of MJ and Chris Wallace pushing hard for CP3. Like the old Bill Cosby routine: "How long can you tread water?"

This is true. But I'd have to think the Bugs would want talent with star potential in exchange for CP3 if they did trade him. Salary dump is enough to justify moving anyone else on NOLA's roster, but CP3 is going to require more. Unless Chris Wallace is hired as their GM between now and the trade deadline, that is.

For our purposes, the Cavs don't have the ammo to pry CP3 from the Bugs. Maybe if they got a third team involved and made some kind of really complicated trade proposal.

I just don't see a CP3 or Bosh-caliber player moving before the deadline.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA