Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs @ Suns

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs @ Suns

Unread postby hugerobot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:44 pm

if the cavs lose i won't make another thread

last time i said this they won so here's hoping to repeat that success. jamario moon is doubtful.

9:00 est on FSO and NBATV
hugerobot

Favorite Player: Lebron James
Least Favorite Player: Derek Anderson

Re: Cavs @ Suns

Unread postby tired » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:50 pm

:cheers: Here's to you being on a roll huger !!! Hope Moon is only day to day.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:22 pm

NBAFanHouse: No pregame talk to the media from Shaq or LeBron in Phoenix. But hey, Coby Karl was available!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby papacass » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Moon has been activated, per Windy tweet.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby hugerobot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:12 pm

GREAT first half
hugerobot

Unread postby papacass » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:39 pm

Wimbledon. Grass court basketball. Serve and volley.

Gets the neck nice and loose.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby bks92II » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:58 pm

Doesn't the Suns only have one loss at home this year?
Long live the King...In Cleveland
bks92II

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: NY,BOS,MICH,PITT

Unread postby hugerobot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:02 am

the suns have zero losses at home this year

and, btw, Image
hugerobot

Unread postby bks92II » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:04 am

I didn't see the start of the game. Any one see if the fans reacted to Shaq being back?
bks92II

Unread postby bks92II » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 am

hugerobot wrote:if the cavs lose i won't make another thread

last time i said this they won so here's hoping to repeat that success. jamario moon is doubtful.

9:00 est on FSO and NBATV

You need to start doing this on a regular basis, seems to be working.
bks92II

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 am

FTR, I am only through the first half. DVR'd the game as I watched the end of Utah - Orlando.

1) have not listened to this Phoenix announcing crew much, like them a lot. They are so happy it is unreal, do nothing but throw love at the players on both sides all game while bringing a little bit of decent analysis.

2) Trying the 3 guard line-up and Delonte running the point most of the time in it was nice. That said, if we now go out and do it six games in a row (regardless of circumstance) in true Roker fashion because it was okay in the first half thus I'll cry

3) LBJ started out the game furious but slowed a lot and forced some bad shots in the later second quarter

4) Best defensive effort from Mo thus far this year. His D had been deteriorating a lot (mostly effort, IMO) and he stepped it up.

5) This is why Delonte is so important to this team. Watch, love, remember
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hugerobot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:17 am

last home loss was, coincidentally, against cleveland

foot on throat.
hugerobot

Unread postby bks92II » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 am

e0y2e3 wrote:5) This is why Delonte is so important to this team. Watch, love, remember

He has been truly earning him self back into the starting rotation. Should be getting the same respect and minutes as he did last year, as he has been playing like he was last year. Dudes a stud on the court.
bks92II

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:27 am

Good lord tell me he is back, please please tell me he is back (for good and healthy):

http://www.twitvid.com/BA63F
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:31 am

e0y2e3 wrote:5) This is why Delonte is so important to this team. Watch, love, remember

Truth
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby bks92II » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:37 am

I love these games. The type of games we need more of. The type of that have Boobie, West, Hickson, Jackson playing all at once while you see Shaq and Varejao laughing it up on the bench with 5 minutes left in the 4th. The type of games that Powe is saying to him self "Damn, I can't wait to play." The type of games that make us all forget of the close win or lose we had the night before and make us say "Wow, maybe the last game was just a fluke and maybe we are the best team in the NBA bar none". The type of games that has LeBron saying "I'm staying in Cleveland for ever". I love these type of games and tonight we just played one of those games and it came against the Suns to give them the first loss at home this season. Santa what I want more Christmas is more of these games and Lord Thank you that we had one tonight.
bks92II

Unread postby hugerobot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:38 am

our transition defense was unreal tonight. held phoenix to only 4 fast break points.
hugerobot

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:39 am

hugerobot wrote:our transition defense was unreal tonight. held phoenix to only 4 fast break points.

Not turning the ball over 40 times helps.

We were leading the league in transition D up until we started turning the ball over at an alarming rate the last couple of weeks. Afterward we quickly plummeted down the league standings in transition D.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JJN » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:45 am

A few thoughts:

Can we send Shaq back to PHX until the playoffs? Hill and Nash are both looking fantastic this year. Where else can you start two guys over 35 and not have to worry about giving something up to younger players?

Can we justify AV's contract now? I think so. I can't think of anyone else who has given a more consistent effort this year.

Where can I sign up for ref academy? I think I can blow 2 obviously not-travelling calls a game. I could probably get 3, but I wouldn't want to showboat in front of the other blues.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby bks92II » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:54 am

JJN wrote:A few thoughts:Can we justify AV's contract now? I think so. I can't think of anyone else who has given a more consistent effort this year.

1.I can, LeBron.

2. He is making 8.5 Million a year how much more does he really need?
bks92II

Unread postby hugerobot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:00 am

lebron has been anything but consistent this year. just because he puts up gaudy numbers night in and night out does not make him a consistent overall player.
hugerobot

Unread postby Frank Duffy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:10 am

Nothing like winning, and plenty to like - Delonte playing with passion and then actually laughing, out loud. (Great tweet, eye, I didn't catch what he said on tv.) Some really nice give and goes. Hickson playing some good D and hitting a 12 foot jumper like he meant it. On D, actually closing on 3 point shooters instead of just running at them.

Lots of bones that could be picked, but why bother, except - - when LB gets the ball on the block and has no one but his man btn him and the basket, how come he doesn't know how to drop step to a layup? (And wouldn't it be nice to have one guy like GHill who could make every open 15 footer.)

(And what was that signal LB gave, thumb and index finger together on his nose, at the end?)

LA has a few more big men, but not many good small guys. Maybe we have a chance.
:woot:
Frank Duffy

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Hargrove

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:30 am

sportsguy33: Cavs playing smallball with LBJ-Varejao at PF-C are poop-in-your-pants terrifying. Thank God Mike Brown doesn't realize this.

Bingo, been asking to use/show this wrinkle for ages.

Frankly Andy could be our center of the future if we can get a big thumper behind him.

Please tell me we will start using the LBJ - Andy front court, please please please.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:47 am

e0y2e3 wrote:sportsguy33: Cavs playing smallball with LBJ-Varejao at PF-C are poop-in-your-pants terrifying. Thank God Mike Brown doesn't realize this.

Frankly Andy could be our center of the future if we can get a big thumper behind him.

Please tell me we will start using the LBJ - Andy front court, please please please.

There is no could about it, unless an excellent trade scenario presents itself.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby davemanddd » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:16 am

in my best yoda impression - "what a truly fun game to watch this was". hee-hee!!! :heehee:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Good lord tell me he is back, please please tell me he is back (for good and healthy):

This

I love seeing DWest out there doing his thing. Running the 3 guard O, taking it STRONG to the hoop, playing solid D. If he can get his 3 pt shot back he'll see a ton of minutes off the bench. I know people are clamoring for him to start but I think his role as the 1st guard off the bench is perfect for this team.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:33 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Good lord tell me he is back, please please tell me he is back (for good and healthy):

This

I love seeing DWest out there doing his thing. Running the 3 guard O, taking it STRONG to the hoop, playing solid D. If he can get his 3 pt shot back he'll see a ton of minutes off the bench. I know people are clamoring for him to start but I think his role as the 1st guard off the bench is perfect for this team.

I've been coming around to this viewpoint as well. Better to start the game off with Lebron surrounded by shooters in the backcourt, then bring in DWest who can drive to the hoop and create his own shot and a rejuvenated Gibson who has added an upfake and drive to keep the D honest. Keep starting Shaq and JJ to make them feel good but run the shit out of AV-Lebron in the frontcourt with AP at SF and Fog Raw-DWest-Gibson rotating at the guard spots.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:51 am

aoxo1 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:sportsguy33: Cavs playing smallball with LBJ-Varejao at PF-C are poop-in-your-pants terrifying. Thank God Mike Brown doesn't realize this.

There is no could about it, unless an excellent trade scenario presents itself.

Bingo on both.

I fear last night was an mirage, in that, Mike Brown will not bite the bullet and play this unit against the Boston's of the world. Frankly, it's our best lineup and if we need more length we can go Moon at the 3 over Parker.

Last night's plus/minus was no surprise. Five/Six (Boobie for Parker) best guys were that unit (and all season) and it wasn't close.

Another difficult Shaq performance to sit thru, though.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:57 am

I was laughing out loud when Dwest hit the floor and started chirping for the camera. Classic Delonte from last year. Seems like he was playing as a man possessed last night....strong moves, suffocating defense, calling for the ball in the post...god I love it when he gets that chip.

Hard to fault Lebron's "inconsistency", imho. I'm not a homer, but if he's shooting around 50% while playing otheroworldly defense.....i'll accept the occasional offense ruining that results from lebron and guys waiting for the buss. That's Mike Brown's job to sort out, by calling plays. He's still clearly playing harder than just about anyone on the court, night in, night out.

You did see the Cavs pull away yesterday when the ball movement became more pronounced....I remember the Mo Williams 3 ball towards the end of the game, ball went through about 4-5 players. I feel like the Cavs are most effective when they get that heavy movement offense going, especially late in games. 3rd and 4th quarter saw a LOT MORE than usual offense being run trough Mo and Delonte. I remember seeing Lebron waiting on the wing for 3-4 posessions, while Mo initiated. Something they desperately need.

Saw more of Bron and Delonte in the post than usual....and the results show.

Hickson needs to continue to be aggressive on the offensive end. When he looks to score, good things happen.

Transition defense was stellar. Individual defense was stellar. Nash got nothing easily, (and Cavs got away with some hand checking on him) bigs were heping and rotating out to shake the three point shooters off their perches.

100% agree on Phoenix announcers.....easily best road announcing this year.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby inthedesert » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Was at the game last night and the suns fans hate shaq. Feel he ruined their team. The crowd was about 70/30 towards Suns, but a lot of Cleveland and #23 jerseys. Suns fans are good fans and were really amazed at Lebron. Had whole family deckd out in Cavs gear and had no issues
inthedesert

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 pm

noles1 wrote:Another difficult Shaq performance to sit thru, though.

Agree to a point. Shaq will not show up in the box score unless he is fed early and often. This is not the Cavaliers plan due to how the offense is run and the minutes he plays per game. I can only remember a couple games where they really got Shaq going, one being his 21 point performance, and the other the Orlando game to get their bigs in foul trouble. If that changes, or is able to change come playoff time who knows...

What he does provide is a presence. More on O, because the guy can get brunt laterally on D. I counted at least 5 possessions where just the look of feeding the post opened up drives in the painted area, allowing guys to shoot for a high percentage.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 pm

You know why Kelly Dwyer rox?

Because he agrees w/ me, a lot... even on things ranging from Mo's D to the fear the Roker will start going 3 guard as often as he did twin towers and w/ as little rhyme or reason behind it.

Cleveland 109, Phoenix 91

The Cavaliers held the Phoenix Suns to about 97 points per 100 possessions, and that's quite the accomplishment.

The Suns (who average, after this loss, about 113 and a half points per 100) have tossed out numbers like that before during 2009-10, but rare is the night where they're forced into playing like this on the offensive end. And, save for a few bad decisions made on the fly, they were forced into this. Cleveland's D made them eat.

On the other end, the Cavs watched their turnovers (12 to Phoenix's 18), Cleveland made nearly 53 percent of its shots from the floor, five three-pointers in 12 chances, 22 out of 26 free throws, and generally kept the Suns at bay
LeBron James(notes) was the star with 29 points, but he had help.

Mo Williams'(notes) D? Where did that come from? And, kindly, remember a re-cap like this if I happen to kill the guy for playing iffy defense against some opponent later in the season.

Mike Brown? The three-guard lineup (with Daniel Gibson(notes) and the gentleman we'll reference below) worked. Don't fall in love with it, though. Please.

Delonte West(notes)? You can turn the world on with your smile.

Honestly, the league has no bigger x-factor. Delonte absolutely changes games. Just turns them on their ear. And I'm chuffed nearly beyond recognition when he changes them in a positive way. 12 points, six assists and three steals in almost 28 minutes for Delonte, alongside stifling defense.

All I want for Christmas is more of this.

And for Jeff Bzdelik to return to the NBA to coach a team I'm fond of.

And an Audi R8. Simple things.

Also, Eddie Johnson called a fantastic game on the Suns' broadcast.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA