Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

To Pup, with love

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: To Pup, with love

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:49 am

aoxo1 wrote:
NEOLeo wrote:
Pup wrote:1. He is still overpaid.
2. He is also playing well in the role I have begged for him to be in and remain. He isn't a starter. He is a 30 minute a night hustle guy. Chris Jent without the cool hair.

Anderson makes $6.3 this year and is 32nd in the league in rebounding at 7.9 per game. Of the top 31 rebounders ahead of Anderson, 28 are power forwards or centers. The average salary of the 28 players is $9.5 million.

Of those 28 players, 10 are paid less than Anderson. Of those 10 players, seven are under rookie contracts.

etc

Was hoping someone would get this info, as I suspected this was almost certainly the case as 6.3 is a pretty low figure nowadays.

Where'd you find this info? If you put it together, kudos for taking the time.

Should also be pointed out that Brendon Haywood makes 6. Essentially the same.

I took the stats from nba.com and found each individual salary from here:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby pup » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:29 am

Andy's overall contract is an albatross. Yes, 6.3 this year. Talk to me in three years when he can barely move and is the 2nd highest paid player on the team.

1-19. War Andrea.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:42 am

Pup wrote:Andy's overall contract is an albatross. Yes, 6.3 this year. Talk to me in three years when he can barely move and is the 2nd highest paid player on the team.

1-19. War Andrea.

Why will he barely be able to move in 3 years??? You going to bash his kneecaps or something?
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 am

I actually wanted to bump this 3 or 4 possesions before the 3 pointer when he made that slick move to the basket and finished a difficult shot.

OMFG in 4 years his salary tops out at $9.1 million. He will be harder to deal the Ben Wallace... The GD plane has crashed into the mountain...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:16 am

Pup wrote:Andy's overall contract is an albatross. Yes, 6.3 this year. Talk to me in three years when he can barely move and is the 2nd highest paid player on the team.

1-19. War Andrea.

Pup, you know that wagon you have as an avatar, it is time you hop on it my man.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby diminishingskills » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:19 pm

Swerb wrote:Ten years of talking sports online ... don't know if there is anything better than seeing a respected board stalwart locked into a bad take that keeps getting bumped.

At this pace, Varejao is going to cure cancer and kill Bin Laden by the middle of January.

And when he does, Pup will be here to bitch that any other big man would have found the time to fix the health care crisis too. ;)
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:18 pm

1-19. War Andrea.

Yes, 3 years. When he is the second highest player on a team that currently has up to 4 players who might be under contract? Mo, with a player option, Andy and Daniel with guaranteed years, and JJ with a qualifying offer? Give me a break. I guess you have given up on LeBron staying or the Cavs bringing in anyone? I know you're not someone who bases his understanding of how NBA salaries and the cap work based on the NFL.

He'll still be at 8.4, which is an eminently reasonable number.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby pup » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:29 pm

8 and 8

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:59 pm

"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:46 pm

They just interviewed the former Iraqi defense minister and it went like this:

"LBJ haters, please, so what if he missed another big free throw, so what that he was called for a goal tend of a Joe Johnson drive to the hoop, so what if he ran "LeIso" again only to have Mo fumble it away, it was always the will of Varejao to shoot that shot and vanquish the infidels from ATL" :thumb up:

Pup, what jersey will T Mac wear in the All Star Game? :lmfao:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:07 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Doc » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:56 am

It's 2010. Gotta love Anderson.

The first post of the new year proclaims 2 things!

A) LeBron reups in Cleveland in July (calling it here).

B) Cleveland cures the curse in 2010...Cavs in 6, finishing the Lakers in 6 at the Q, 4-2.

New year, new decade even (don't buy into that nonsense that 2011 starts the new decade :bunny: )

Cleveland sports prosper in the 10's.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 pm

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby neoleo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:36 am

From Terry Pluto:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/ind ... he_10.html

In this space last Sunday, Varejao was praised for his 14.1 point plus/minus, the best on the Cavs. NBA.Com's John Schuhmann dug deeper and discovered that the Cavs have outscored opponents by 326 points with Varejao on the court, tops in the NBA. Even more revealing, he has a formula demonstrating that the Cavs allowed 106.5 points per 48 minutes when Varejao sits, 94.4 when he plays -- a stunning defensive impact of 12.1 points per game.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:18 pm

NEOLeo wrote:From Terry Pluto:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/ind ... he_10.html

In this space last Sunday, Varejao was praised for his 14.1 point plus/minus, the best on the Cavs. NBA.Com's John Schuhmann dug deeper and discovered that the Cavs have outscored opponents by 326 points with Varejao on the court, tops in the NBA. Even more revealing, he has a formula demonstrating that the Cavs allowed 106.5 points per 48 minutes when Varejao sits, 94.4 when he plays -- a stunning defensive impact of 12.1 points per game.

8 and 8
;-) ;) :wink:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Yeah, Pluto took those numbers from the article I link (by Schuman). Good to see peeps are bothering to click that though.... ;-)

Most impressive stat from said article (IMO) is the offensive efficiency and def efficiency (again, per 100 possessions) numbers for lineups w/ Andy. Off eff is 111 points per 100pos (or pretty damned good) and def efficiency is 94 points per 100pos (or holy shit that is effing bad ass). That said, as Pelton pointed out in the column I dropped in the Lakers thread, it would be disingenuous to ignore the fact that Andy and Shaq lineups (when on the floor) have been elite defensively.

It also should be noted that in limited time the Andy and LBJ front court has sick off and def efficiency numbers.

And after actually bothering to read what Pluto wrote.... ::doh:: for him times 1000. Pluto, stay the fuck away from even simple stats, you don't understand them and typically use them in a rather incorrect way (dude needs to stick to character pieces and books). He called off and def efficiency points per and given up per 48, which is, well incorrect.

As I've shared here more than once.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:11 pm

And my favorite part of Pluto's fuckup here is that it says this directly under the stat box he is quoting:

Off. Rat. = Points scored per 100 possessions
Def. Rat. = Points allowed per 100 possessions
Numbers do not include Wednesday's game.

Fucking Pluto. Too inept to get his own stories so he rereports another's in an inaccurate manor. Golfclap
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:28 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:And my favorite part of Pluto's fuckup here is that it says this directly under the stat box he is quoting:

Fucking Pluto. Too inept to get his own stories so he rereports another's in an inaccurate manor. Golfclap

He's lazy. Mailing it in and scavenging for column ideas since he's been back. I don't blame him. Look at the medium. But he's still a pygmy amongst midgets in the writing arena so he gets away with much of it.

I was excited when I heard he was coming here.

Then he came.

Talk about 'feh'.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:40 pm

Yeah, I actually accidentally said per 100min in my above post after reading Pluto and just being dumbfounded.

Guy should seriously stop w/ his crap column and just focus on books and character peaces. He's a joke.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:And my favorite part of Pluto's fuckup here is that it says this directly under the stat box he is quoting:

He's lazy. Mailing it in and scavenging for column ideas since he's been back. I don't blame him. Look at the medium. But he's still a pygmy amongst midgets in the writing arena so he gets away with much of it.

I was excited when I heard he was coming here.

Then he came.

Talk about 'feh'.

Who is taller, a pygmy or a midget?

And just so you know, midget is now an un-PC term, like retard. You need to rework that to stay PC, Mr. Nugent. ;-)
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Hollinger released his midseason awards today. Aside from his obvious choice at MVP, his Defensive Player of the Year nod should raise some eyebrows around here.

Defensive Player of the Year: Anderson Varejao, Cleveland

Varejao has always been among the game's best frontcourt defenders, but have you seen the guy this season? He's moved beyond the Raggedy Andy flopfest of recent years to become a court-roving defensive monster. The shift in the game toward stretch 4s and pick-and-roll guards has only increased his value, as his freakish mobility for his size makes him one of the few players capable of both defending the post and smothering quick guards on switches.

A perfect example came against Portland on Jan. 10, with the Cavs nursing a six-point lead and less than four minutes left. Brandon Roy came off the pick-and-roll looking to explode to the rim, just like he's done a thousand times before, but Varejao made the switch so quickly that Roy went right into his chest. Roy was stymied and stunned, dribbled the ball off his leg and out of bounds, and the Cavs were well on their way to leaving the building with a victory.

His value goes far deeper than one play, of course. According to basketballvalue.com, Varejao has the best adjusted defensive plus/minus in the league at minus-11.5 points per 100 possessions, which in rough terms means the Cavs are below average without him on the court and the best in the league when he's on it. And unlike a lot of the Cavs' plus/minus differences, this one wasn't built on LeBron James' coattails; Varejao spends much of his playing time with the second unit.

Several other players merit consideration here. Dwight Howard, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, has been no slouch, Ron Artest has quietly excelled in L.A., and Atlanta's Josh Smith and Boston's Kendrick Perkins and Rajon Rondo all are worth a look. But in my book, none has been as good as Varejao so far this season.

Honorable mention: Ron Artest, L.A., Rajon Rondo, Boston; Kendrick Perkins, Boston; Dwight Howard, Orlando; Josh Smith, Atlanta

High praise there. He clearly doesnt have the name to win it, but with enough buzz maybe he can crack an All-Defensive Team.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:44 pm

And unlike a lot of the Cavs' plus/minus differences, this one wasn't built on LeBron James' coattails; Varejao spends much of his playing time with the second unit.

LeBron sits for what, 8 minutes a night.

Most of his minutes come in place of the Cavs 2 worst defensive bigs, JJ and Z. Guys gets so much statistical love, just for that reason.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:49 pm

8 and 8 ;-) ;) :wink:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Swerb wrote:8 and 8 ;-) ;) :wink:

Don't forget his nightly assist. (mooning)

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Wow @ hollinger. Ballsy.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA