Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Tonight is a pretty big barometer

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Tonight is a pretty big barometer

Unread postby furls » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:28 pm

The cavs have been playing much better as of late, but we have seen strings like this before.

Tonight is a pretty good gauge of the mindset of this team, a road game on the back end of a back to back against a bad Memphis team. How many times have we seen this let down? I hope they don't do it again. The Cavs should be able to rip off some wins with their schedule in the immediate future.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby buddycowley » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:10 pm

I'm going to disagree with you a bit about this game being a "BIG barometer."

How often, in the playoffs, are the Cavaliers going to need to get it together against a team like Memphis?

If the end of the regular season is a time to prepare for the playoffs, do we REALLY care how this team comes off after a 4 game/5 night swing? Especially against a team in Memphis that is probably one of the 5 worst in the league right now?

If the Cavaliers lose tonight, I'm not going to get all melty and start in on the "This team is not ready" bandwagon like so many like to fire up after EVERY WIN.

Being able to respond on back-to-back nights in the playoffs SHOULD be easier because of what is at stake for the coming rounds. A regular season back-to-back against Memphis, in March? Not a big deal.

My guess? Cavaliers come out flat, trail by 4-5 points at the half. They turn it around in the 2nd half, but need the final few minutes to pull out the win. Something like the recent Milwaukee game.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:31 pm

Just win. These are the types of games that you look back on in a few weeks when you can't catch Detroit for the #1. Look as ugly as you want, but come crunch time, get it done.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:36 pm

I agree Pup 100%
Just win baby

Unread postby furls » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Maybe I overstated barometer or chose the wrong word.

Basically what I meant is that these are the games that we typically watch the Cavs come out flat and lose too often. The Cavs have been playing very well lately, about as good as anyone. This leads me to fear the typical stumble.

I am not ready to fire up the Cavs bandwagon and a win over Memphis is not going to get me on it, but it will make me feel a lot better.

This stretch of schedule that they have right now, is about as good as they could hope for. Let's just hope that they can keep it going and make some progress on Detroit.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA