Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Ferry working on bringing Joe Smith back....

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Ferry working on bringing Joe Smith back....

Unread postby Umph » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 pm

Ziner wrote:6 minutes after I post, thats funny. Well I am glad it is done. Someone with knowledge of the NBA waiver process care to tell me why no one would claim Joe Smith? It cant be money he is only owed 1.3 or something, or is it money? Why wouldnt a team like Orlando claim him just so we cant have him. Explanation please.

This always confused me. Why wouldn't crappier teams try to claim guys off waivers just to keep them from better teams every time? Seems like teams like the Yankees, Celts, and Red Sox always pick up good players through waivers. Couldn't a team like Atlanta claim a guy through waivers, try to make a deal with said guy, then magically have the deal fall through after March 1 only to screw the other teams? This is probably a dumb question but no one has ever been able to explain this to me.
Umph

Unread postby ProgRocker » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:55 pm

Umph wrote:
Ziner wrote:6 minutes after I post, thats funny. Well I am glad it is done. Someone with knowledge of the NBA waiver process care to tell me why no one would claim Joe Smith? It cant be money he is only owed 1.3 or something, or is it money? Why wouldnt a team like Orlando claim him just so we cant have him. Explanation please.

This always confused me. Why wouldn't crappier teams try to claim guys off waivers just to keep them from better teams every time? Seems like teams like the Yankees, Celts, and Red Sox always pick up good players through waivers. Couldn't a team like Atlanta claim a guy through waivers, try to make a deal with said guy, then magically have the deal fall through after March 1 only to screw the other teams? This is probably a dumb question but no one has ever been able to explain this to me.

A lot of teams don't have the money, most teams don't want to bring in a new player into a system that's been in place since November, and Smith's older and would take minutes away from most teams with younger players who would need that time. That's my guess.
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
ProgRocker

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:01 am

Because you have to have the cap space to claim a guy off waivers and that cap space has to match his entire salary for the season. That or you can have a trade exception or a disabled player exception, but once again it has to be equal or greater than his full season salary even though the player is not owed the entire salary.

You can't use the MLE on a guy until he clears waivers.

So that's why the Magic can't block it because they are over the cap and don't have an exception to allow them to pick him up off waivers.

As it stands I don't believe any team in the NBA has the exceptions to pick up Smith on the waiver wire. No one is far enough under the cap.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby ProgRocker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:05 am

According to a story just posted by Windhorst, the only team with cap space that could claim Smith is Memphis - and while they have cap space, they don't necessarily have the cash or a reason to claim Smith (except to really piss off Dan Snyder, which I don't think I'd do).

By the way, in the same article it says Pavs will be back no later than the Bucks game Wednesday.

So we'll be loaded for as much bear as we can (except for Big Ben, obviously) on Friday.

Will Garnett be back by then?
ProgRocker

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:12 am

I heard earlier today during there game that Garnett is out for at least another 10 days.

*Dan Gilbert* not Synder.

I cannot see how Memphis claims him. It makes no sense and why would they want to actually spend money with zero return possibilities. (if say it were before the trading deadline, Boston or Orlando could throw them a draft pick or something)
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:14 am

Memphis has no desire to add Smith. Plus they owe TMLP a 'thank you' for his email blast that lit up the Blazers for the whole Darius Miles fiasco. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:40 am

Peeker643 wrote:Memphis has no desire to add Smith. Plus they owe TMLP a 'thank you' for his email blast that lit up the Blazers for the whole Darius Miles fiasco. ;-) ;) :wink:

Good call. That had slipped my mind.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby JoJo White » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 am

Lost in the Joe Smith hoopla was this little bit of info from Windhorst:

Pavlovic closing in: Sasha Pavlovic played a simulation 3-on-3 game at Philips Arena a couple hours before tipoff Sunday, a test of his sprained right ankle.

Depending on how it feels Monday, Pavlovic is hoping to be activated for the Cavs' game against the Miami Heat. If not, then he's targeting Wednesday's home game against the Milwaukee Bucks. He has missed a month with the high ankle sprain.

"It's not sore or at all," Pavlovic said. "They said six weeks at first, so if you look at it like that, it is fast, but if you look at the way I feel, it's very good."

Cavs coach Mike Brown was not as optimistic about Pavlovic's return, saying the team trainers have yet to give him the go-ahead. Brown would prefer Pavlovic to go through an entire practice. But with the schedule, the team probably won't have one until Thursday.

Because Trey Johnson is expected to be released Monday, the Cavs will have a needed spot for a guard on the active roster against the Heat.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby AK-ROWDY » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:06 am

Didn't see it here but Drew Gooden was released by the Kings. Sorry I don't have a link saw it on sportscenter.
AK-ROWDY

Favorite Player: Peyton Hillis
Least Favorite Player: Steelers

Unread postby onlyindreams » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:28 am

We could suddenly be a pretty deep team if Pavs and Joe Smith are available by Wednesday. With the way Gibson and Wally are playing, Pavs would step right in over one of them. We could use his D and 3 point shooting. Somehow we're winning with almost no contributions from the bench.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby papacass » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 pm

onlyindreams wrote:We could suddenly be a pretty deep team if Pavs and Joe Smith are available by Wednesday. With the way Gibson and Wally are playing, Pavs would step right in over one of them. We could use his D and 3 point shooting. Somehow we're winning with almost no contributions from the bench.

The Wally I've seen of late has actually been pretty good. Once he doesn't have to defend power forwards anymore, he should be even better.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby onlyindreams » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Papa Cass wrote:
onlyindreams wrote:We could suddenly be a pretty deep team if Pavs and Joe Smith are available by Wednesday. With the way Gibson and Wally are playing, Pavs would step right in over one of them. We could use his D and 3 point shooting. Somehow we're winning with almost no contributions from the bench.

The Wally I've seen of late has actually been pretty good. Once he doesn't have to defend power forwards anymore, he should be even better.

He's been struggling with his shot over the last week or so and his defense hasn't been that good. He was playing about as well as you can expect before that though.

I think he'll struggle more going up against guards. We are able to hide him at PF because he's 6'7 240 and pretty strong. When you put him against swingmen he has trouble because of his slow feet. I would rather see Pavlovic take his minutes. Pavs is shooting 45%+ from 3 and is a solid defender against the 2 or 3 spot. The only problem with Sasha is you have to put up with the occasional Drew Gooden moments.
onlyindreams

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Papa Cass wrote:

Love bringing back Joe Smiff but i'm no fan of Sasha. The next time he plays back to back good games will be the first time...
"If I sell a lil' crack, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I die in Iraq, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I take you fo granted, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I f- up the planet, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it"

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Least Favorite Player: Kendrick Perkins

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Thrilled about Joe Smith.
I have never been a huge Sasha fan either. I do think, however, Sasha knows his role better than he did in the past couple of years. I always thought he used to want to be LeBron. I do think now he is a piece for this team that has value... and he fits certain needs the team has.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:29 am

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... forwa.html

Trying to be politically correct and not to get ahead of themselves, the Cavaliers showed some restraint and talked in generalities and possibilities when it comes to the impending arrival of Joe Smith this week.
They, however, could not hide their enthusiasm or affection for Smith, who was put on waivers by the Oklahoma City Thunder on Monday after completing a buyout agreement Sunday night.

"He's one of the best teammates I've ever had, and I'd love to have him back," LeBron James said. "We know what type of guy he is -- he's a true professional. Teams always want him."

Smith likely will clear the NBA waiver system Wednesday morning. At that time, the Cavs are expected to offer him a formal contract, and multiple league sources have said it is Smith's plan to accept and join the Cavs as soon as possible.

The team may have some talks with former Cav Drew Gooden, who has equal high regard in the team locker room. Smith's defensive ability and Gooden's health -- he's been battling a groin injury since January and may need surgery to repair a sports hernia after the season -- are playing into the decision.

There have been some reports that Gooden may interest the San Antonio Spurs.

As for Smith, he has been teammates with every player on the Cavs besides rookies J.J. Hickson and Darnell Jackson and veteran Lorenzen Wright. Mo Williams played with Smith for two years with the Milwaukee Bucks, and they were close during that time.

With Ben Wallace out with a broken leg, the other players in the Cavs front court are in support of the move.

"We're thin up front, so right now, he'd be a welcome addition," Zydrunas Ilgauskas said. "He knows the system, he's a good defensive big man and he's a good teammate too."
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby papacass » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:15 am

At this point, it's probably the worst-kept secret in the NBA.

Mike Brown: "We really are looking forward to adding Joe Smith to our roster -- Or, you know, ANY player who might have recently been placed on waivers by his team, particularly if said team plays their home games in a large, flat state somewhere in the middle of the country. And especially if said team wears teal and has a humorously nonspecific nickname. But I'm not going to comment on the matter any further, because we are a no-excuses, no-tampering team. David Stern is an awesome commissioner."
papacass

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:24 am

Papa Cass wrote:At this point, it's probably the worst-kept secret in the NBA.

Mike Brown: "We really are looking forward to adding Joe Smith to our roster -- Or, you know, ANY player who might have recently been placed on waivers by his team, particularly if said team plays their home games in a large, flat state somewhere in the middle of the country. And especially if said team wears teal and has a humorously nonspecific nickname. But I'm not going to comment on the matter any further, because we are a no-excuses, no-tampering team. David Stern is an awesome commissioner."

LOL

I love Mike Brown
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:36 am

So let me get this straight, the Celtics are ridiculed for trying to better their team by adding Moore and Marbury and the Cavaliers are being lauded for adding Joe Smith? Home town spin. :nanner:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 am

fundamentals wrote:So let me get this straight, the Celtics are ridiculed for trying to better their team by adding Moore and Marbury and the Cavaliers are being lauded for adding Joe Smith? Home town spin. :nanner:

I'd say Smith is a better bet than either of those two. Moore's had about one good season and Starbury's got a short sell by date. They could pay off or Moore could suck and Starbury could cause a problem.

Smith is a known quantity here. He's well liked by the players and fans. The biggest knock on Smith is that he's a huge disappointment for a #1 overall pick. Seeing as we weren't the team that spent the #1 pick on him, I don't see it as a problem.

He provides good depth and can start for us. He's not a defensive stalwart but he's also not a gaping hole like Gooden would be. He's got a good mid-range shot and comes to play.

I think it's time that Joe Smith gets a ring.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:18 am

I hope he can come in and do well.I remember him making an impact upon his arrival last year but then it seemed as the year went along, he did less and less, and his playoff performance wasn't all that good? Thoughts?
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby CP » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:33 am

fundamentals wrote:So let me get this straight, the Celtics are ridiculed for trying to better their team by adding Moore and Marbury and the Cavaliers are being lauded for adding Joe Smith? Home town spin. :nanner:

To be fair, it's not like the Cavaliers are adding Joe Smith off the scrap heap. Marbury hasn't played in over a year; the equivalent to bringing him in would have been bringing in Jason Williams if the league would have reinstated him from retirement.

Also, Smith was on the team last year and was traded because he was an expiring deal that fit and was needed to bring in Mo Williams. The team acknowledged that Lorenzen Wright was more of a warm body replacement for Smith than anything else.

The Mikki Moore move wouldn't have seemed so desperate without the Marbury addition in conjunction and if the Celtics hadn't already made it known that Joe Smith was their first choice.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby papacass » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:09 pm

CP wrote:

To be fair, it's not like the Cavaliers are adding Joe Smith off the scrap heap. Marbury hasn't played in over a year; the equivalent to bringing him in would have been bringing in Jason Williams if the league would have reinstated him from retirement.

Also, Smith was on the team last year and was traded because he was an expiring deal that fit and was needed to bring in Mo Williams. The team acknowledged that Lorenzen Wright was more of a warm body replacement for Smith than anything else.

The Mikki Moore move wouldn't have seemed so desperate without the Marbury addition in conjunction and if the Celtics hadn't already made it known that Joe Smith was their first choice.

On his ESPN power rankings this week, Marc Stein asked if the Celtics adding Moore and Marbury this year is really all that different from adding Sam Cassell and P.J. Brown last year. He was trying to discredit the whole idea that the C's were/are desperate for bench help.

My response: It's very different. Brown was a three-time all-defensive first teamer and starter for a contending Heat team in his prime. Moore is a journeyman whose career highlights include a stint as the best big man on the Nets roster during their epic run to the second round of the '07 playoffs, where the Cavs neatly dispatched them in six games.

Cassell is a born-and-bred floor general who won two titles with the Rockets and helped fashion a rare season of respectability for the Clippers a couple of years ago. Marbury is a volume shooter who historically hasn't been able to contribute anything positive without massive amounts of touches.

As an addition, Joe Smith is much closer to Brown than Moore. He had productive stints with the Warriors and Wolves before beginning the journeyman phase of his career. Even at this point in his career, he has more skills than Moore could ever hope to accumulate.

I think Danny Ainge panicked a bit and went with the quickest fixes he could find, instead of holding his cards and waiting to see what developed between the trade deadline and March 1. Hopefully in landing Smith, the Cavs are going to reap the benefits of Ainge's haste. Because I have no doubt that if the Celtics would have come knocking, Smith would have answered.
papacass

Unread postby JoJo White » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Joe Smith agrees to terms:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... _with.html

CLEVELAND -- Joe Smith is about to become a Cavalier, again.

The Cavs and the veteran 6-foot-10 forward agreed to terms on a one-year contract Tuesday night. He is expected to sign the deal once he clears waivers Wednesday morning and should be able to join the team by Friday's game at Boston.

"After careful consideration of his options, Joe has decided that the Cavs are the best fit," Smith's agent, Dan Fegan, said.

Smith was contacted by several teams after getting a buyout from the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday. He averaged 6.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in 39 games with the Thunder this season. He played 27 games plus the playoffs with the Cavs last season.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby GreatGoo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Wrap your mind around this:

Mo Williams
Delonte West
Wally Szczerbiak
Joe Smith
Ben Wallace
2nd round pick

for

Larry Hughes
Drew Gooden
Damon Jones
Ira Newble
Shannon Brown
Cedric Simmons

Thanks, Danny! :TCF:
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:59 pm

GreatGoo wrote:Wrap your mind around this:

Mo Williams
Delonte West
Wally Szczerbiak
Joe Smith
Ben Wallace
2nd round pick

for

Larry Hughes
Drew Gooden
Damon Jones
Ira Newble
Shannon Brown
Cedric Simmons

Straight up thievery. :lmfao:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby brooks1957 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Ziner wrote:
GreatGoo wrote:Wrap your mind around this:

Mo Williams
Delonte West
Wally Szczerbiak
Joe Smith
Ben Wallace
2nd round pick

for

Larry Hughes
Drew Gooden
Damon Jones
Ira Newble
Shannon Brown
Cedric Simmons

Straight up thievery. :lmfao:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Hopefully we won't see Ferry's picture on a post office wall as being wanted for Grand Larceny. Rock on, Mr. NBA Executive of the year.
brooks1957

Unread postby ProgRocker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Not spin. Simple fact. Joe Smith is STILL a better player than Mikki Moore ever was in his 'prime,' and Marbury is a cancer who hasn't played meaningful minutes for over a year. Plus, Smith will return to a team and a system he knows from last year, while Moore and Marbury are trying to learn a system they aren't aware of.

Nice job, Ferry! :woot:
ProgRocker

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:18 pm

1. Mikki Moore is a stiff

2. Stephon Marbury is a fag

3. Joe Smith is neither

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby Chris » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:37 am

jamesownsdet wrote:

3. Joe Smith is neither

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I still can't believe I just saw someone compare the Joe Smith signing to Stephon Marbury.
Chris

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:45 am

I don't know that I see the Celtics signing as desperation, per se. I think they'd be stupid not to try to fill holes however they could. Moore is what he is...a backup role player, who can eat 10 minutes a game at PF during the playoffs. Marbury has talent, but someone earlier put it best when they said he needed shots in volume to really be effective, so I'm not sure how much he really helps them if he's not going to get a lot of shots.

But regardless, for our team I'd much rather have Smith than the Moore/Marbury platter. He's solid, he's smart, and we know what we're getting with him. He's played with everybody on this team before, aside from JJ and Darnell, and everyone seems to like him. He played with us last year, so he already knows the coaching staff, and what's expected out of him. Joe's the better fit for us.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:24 am

Chris wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:

3. Joe Smith is neither

I still can't believe I just saw someone compare the Joe Smith signing to Stephon Marbury.

There's a huge difference between the 2 IMO. Joe Smith is being brought in to provide role player minutes while an injured player gets healthy. Everyone in Cleveland knows this and expects little of him besides that. Boston brought Marbury in to be their backup PG in the playoffs. That's a huge difference in what their fans expect of Stephon and what our fans expect of Joe.

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby onlyindreams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:30 am

jamesownsdet wrote:
Chris wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:

3. Joe Smith is neither

There's a huge difference between the 2 IMO. Joe Smith is being brought in to provide role player minutes while an injured player gets healthy. Everyone in Cleveland knows this and expects little of him besides that. Boston brought Marbury in to be their backup PG in the playoffs. That's a huge difference in what their fans expect of Stephon and what our fans expect of Joe.

I think it's about the same, although Joe will be asked to contribute more in the regular season. If we're lucky he'll only be the backup PF in the playoffs. The difference between the two players is that Joe is a good teammate and won't affect team chemistry, and Marbury is not a good teammate and could affect team chemistry.
onlyindreams

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:10 am

onlyindreams wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:
Chris wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:

3. Joe Smith is neither

I think it's about the same, although Joe will be asked to contribute more in the regular season. If we're lucky he'll only be the backup PF in the playoffs. The difference between the two players is that Joe is a good teammate and won't affect team chemistry, and Marbury is not a good teammate and could affect team chemistry.

he'll be the backup to the backup PF in the playoffs....

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:20 am

Well, it's plausible he could get a lot more minutes if they need more offense from the frontcourt, or if the things he does better vs. Ben or Andy (ie. his jumper) takes advantage of a favorable matchup.

More depth and flexibility. I'd have traded Wally for him.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:27 am

itssss official

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/200 ... 565800.txt :partyers:

on to the championship
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby Mr. X » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:00 am

osucrazy18 wrote:itssss official

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/200 ... 565800.txt :partyers:

on to the championship

:cheers:
Mr. X

Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Joe smith is not just a backup, minutes eating pf. What he gave this team last year in the playoffs was crucial; he was able to space the floor, rebound well, and hit that 10-15 ft J with consistency. He will keep the opposing big men honest when Z is off the court, and he has shown a good nose for the ball when he plays.

You can easily argue that he was the best big we had during the playoffs.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby onlyindreams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:37 pm

jamesownsdet wrote:
onlyindreams wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:
Chris wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:

3. Joe Smith is neither

No, I think it'll be like last year, he'll be the backup PF and Andy will be the backup C. Or to make it simple, we have 2 backup big men- Andy and Joe.
onlyindreams

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:13 pm

onlyindreams wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:
onlyindreams wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:
Chris wrote:
jamesownsdet wrote:

3. Joe Smith is neither

No, I think it'll be like last year, he'll be the backup PF and Andy will be the backup C. Or to make it simple, we have 2 backup big men- Andy and Joe.

I agree with this take...

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Yup, when Z and JJ go out, Mr. Smiph and SSb will go in.....it's that simple

CANNOT WAIT to see this guy back in uniform
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Hope he gets a big ovation when they call his name. I'm so frickin' pumped for Joe Smith to be back.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Posted this in another thread. Thought I'd put it here. After all is said and done..
Having...
ImageImage

Is like...

ImageImage
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Man, when are they going to announce it officially?

I wanna see his name on that damn roster list already.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Man, when are they going to announce it officially?

They did a few minutes before you posted. Joe Smith is a Cav once more.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/joesm ... 90305.html
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:27 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
Bill the Butcher wrote:Man, when are they going to announce it officially?

They did a few minutes before you posted. Joe Smith is a Cav once more.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/joesm ... 90305.html

Hooray!
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:59 pm

:nanner: :nanner:

Just give us the title now

:yes:
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA