Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Stoudemire to the Cavs?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Stoudemire to the Cavs?

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:47 pm

drewd wrote:
waborat wrote:What I'd like to see before next Thursday night:

1) A nice romantic Valentine's dinner with my wife

2) The stimulus bill fail again

3) Boobie selecting a new uniform number

boobie might get a hole new uniform, he's probably up there with JJ...

Who knows? They're giving all season ticket holders who pay in full by March 27th am authentic signed jersey from Boobie...not to say something as silly as that would keep a guy here, but you think they would definitely have had an "untouchable" picked to be the one signing?

Just received an open letter from Ferry to all ticket holders and I was hoping that there would be some kind of "hint" in there about what may happen in the next week, but it's pretty much standard fare such as, Gilbert is committed to winning, their philosophy is strong, defensive identity, Roker has been outstanding, chemistry & culture of team is very tight and stronger than it's ever been, they are well positioned for the future and will sustain this high level for many years, etc
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 pm

drewd wrote:
StewieG wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3905040

If Paxson leaves the Bulls, does that make it more likely, or less likely that we're the team that gets Stoudamire?

we'll know after the game tomorrow,

Relative to this, you have to think that if the deal is set to go, they'd pull the trigger on Monday, right? Don't wanna muck up All-Star Weekend by having a starting player for the host town being traded straight away, obviously, but it'd be awfully convenient if they did it before everybody left. Let Brown, LeBron and Mo fly back from Phoenix with Amare, give them time to bond with their new teammate. It'd be super. Seems like the field is a small one for Amare's services, so the chances of a weird last minute offer seem low. We play in Toronto on Wednesday, Phoenix has a home n' home on Tues. and Wed. with the Clippers -- if you're trying to adjust to life without Amare, pretty good to start against soft competition like the Clips...

I'm starting to get revved up again re: Amare rumors. I talked myself out of it when I figured Wally's contract could never fetch a bona fide All-Star, talked myself back into it when the rumors of Phoenix rebuilding started, talked myself out of it by convincing myself that Amare wouldn't be a good fit as #2 guy playing on a defensively-oriented team, talked myself back into it from the apparent news that Amare wants to be in Cleveland and sign long-term. Yeesh. Roller coaster.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby drewd » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:38 pm

The New "BIG THREE"

drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Can we jinx it a little more?

But yeah, I'd take that over Boston's trio or LA's Kobe, Gasol, Bynum/Odom.
CharacterIV

Unread postby reppination7 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:54 pm

i dont think amare would take #32 lol thats just me, thats gonna be joe smiths number lol

lol i believe we would hve a big four, Z

and maybe a big 5 in the future depending on how west develops
reppination7

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: quite a few people

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:09 pm

reppination7 wrote:i dont think amare would take #32 lol thats just me, thats gonna be joe smiths number lol

If Amare did take #32, it'd be a heck of a statement. Or at least any other number that wouldn't cause Boobie to move. Sure, Amare has seniority and is the bigger name, so I think Boobie would offer him the number, but Amare could say: "I'm joining a new team, this guy is LeBron's lil' buddy and still a fan favorite for his heroics vs. the Pistons (despite his recent suckage), and I used to wear #32, and the last guy who did that here left a sour taste in Cavs' fans mouths. Let's see if I can wipe that away in my #32." I'd love it.

As for the "big 4/5," Z's showing his age, at least as Center play is concerned. He's shooting better than he ever has from range, but his rebounding and post play has flagged. I don't think Delonte will ever be in the "part of a Big X" category, but I'd still love a "big 3 + an oddball 7'3" guy shooting from downtown and a scrappy hustle-freak who will burn you from range or penetrating if you disrespect him."
CharacterIV

Unread postby drewd » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:14 pm

CharacterIV wrote:
reppination7 wrote:i dont think amare would take #32 lol thats just me, thats gonna be joe smiths number lol

If Amare did take #32, it'd be a heck of a statement. Or at least any other number that wouldn't cause Boobie to move. Sure, Amare has seniority and is the bigger name, so I think Boobie would offer him the number, but Amare could say: "I'm joining a new team, this guy is LeBron's lil' buddy and still a fan favorite for his heroics vs. the Pistons (despite his recent suckage), and I used to wear #32, and the last guy who did that here left a sour taste in Cavs' fans mouths. Let's see if I can wipe that away in my #32." I'd love it.

As for the "big 4/5," Z's showing his age, at least as Center play is concerned. He's shooting better than he ever has from range, but his rebounding and post play has flagged. I don't think Delonte will ever be in the "part of a Big X" category, but I'd still love a "big 3 + an oddball 7'3" guy shooting from downtown and a scrappy hustle-freak who will burn you from range or penetrating if you disrespect him, and will PoStErIzE you"

added a little

:yessss:

drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:18 pm

drewd wrote:
CharacterIV wrote:I don't think Delonte will ever be in the "part of a Big X" category, but I'd still love a "big 3 + an oddball 7'3" guy shooting from downtown and a scrappy hustle-freak who will burn you from range or penetrating if you disrespect him. and will PoStErIzE you"

added a little

Amen. I miss watching Delonte play.

Get healthy, young man!
CharacterIV

Unread postby drewd » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:22 pm

CharacterIV wrote:
drewd wrote:
CharacterIV wrote:I don't think Delonte will ever be in the "part of a Big X" category, but I'd still love a "big 3 + an oddball 7'3" guy shooting from downtown and a scrappy hustle-freak who will burn you from range or penetrating if you disrespect him. and will PoStErIzE you"

added a little

Amen. I miss watching Delonte play.

Get healthy, young man!

I'm telling you Delonte is the one who gets us out of that offensive funk we get into sometimes (I call it "the golden state funk")...
Plus he is the main reason we have such good chemistry this season!
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 pm

Boobie wears #1 not #32.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby drewd » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:39 pm

And Yes this is the idiot who said Marion was going to the Cavs...

Cavs’ bid for Stoudemire falls flat
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

PHOENIX – Believing that Amare Stoudemire could make the difference with winning an NBA title and ultimately keeping LeBron James, the Cleveland Cavaliers made a bid to the Phoenix Suns for the All-Star power forward, two league sources familiar with the offer said Friday.

Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry offered the expiring contract of Wally Szcerbiak, rookie J.J. Hickson and a first-round pick for Stoudemire earlier in the week, sources said. Anderson Varejao was mentioned in a possible scenario too, sources said.

Nevertheless, the proposal has generated little enthusiasm out of Suns GM Steve Kerr.

When asked about the Cavaliers’ interest in Stoudemire on Friday, Ferry texted to Yahoo! Sports, “No discussions at this time.”

Odds are, the Cavaliers and Suns would need to find a third team to get Stoudemire in the frontcourt with James.

As the Cavaliers try to find more size to compete with the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers for a title, league sources say they’re intrigued with Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby. League executives say that the Clippers have been actively trying to unload payroll.

As the Miami Heat left the Stoudemire market with Friday’s trade with the Toronto Raptors, the Cavs are still hoping that the Suns’ inclination is to trade Stoudemire out of the Western Conference.

Chicago is still considered a strong contender in the Eastern Conference, but one source familiar with the team’s discussions says there hasn’t been a lot of back-and-forth with the Suns in the past 48 hours.

League executives still believe Memphis can be a major factor should owner Michael Heisley relent on taking back the money on Stoudemire’s contract. Sacramento has made a series of overtures on Stoudemire – with discussions at the ownership level. Also, the Kings have the intriguing asset of a pick that could turn into the No. 1 selection in the June draft. The Suns are talking with multiple teams, but still haven’t been blown away with any offer for Stoudemire.

The Cavaliers haven’t heard back from the Suns since midweek, sources say. For the Suns, Cleveland’s offer is flawed. Varejao is an excellent defender and rebounder, but struggles to score. His value is much greater on a good team than a rebuilding program. Hickson was the Cavaliers’ first-round pick out of North Carolina State, a talented but raw 20-year-old rookie power forward. He’s still far from an impact player Also, the Cavs’ draft pick will be late in the first round.

What still worries rivals NBA executives about Cleveland’s ability to work a deal for Stoudemire is the close relationship between Ferry and Kerr. They’re extremely tight and alumni of the San Antonio Spurs have a history of doing deals amongst themselves. For now, the Cavaliers seem content to let Phoenix solicit offers between now and Thursday’s trade deadline, and see if somehow they could revisit the Stoudemire derby. Most teams are wondering just how desperate the Suns are to lower payroll and how dramatically that will affect the caliber of talent and salary they’ll bring back for Stoudemire.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Chris » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:05 pm

Sorry but I promised I'd never, ever listen to what Adrian Wojnarowski has to say again.
Chris

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:02 am

So we have some sources (the yahoo at Yahoo!, Windhorst, a source from another poster) saying the deal is unlikely to happen. We have others (ESPiN, Will Purdue on Chicago radio) saying we're among the frontrunners. And then we have a couple posters on the other board (not W&G) saying they have sources who say it's a done deal, Wally/JJ/1st for Amare. Those last posters do not have any track record, so take that with a grain of salt.

So what's the point? The point is, we know absolutely nothing, and likely won't until either the trade breaks, or the deadline passes.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby drewd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 am

StewieG wrote:So we have some sources (the yahoo at Yahoo!, Windhorst, a source from another poster) saying the deal is unlikely to happen. We have others (ESPiN, Will Purdue on Chicago radio) saying we're among the frontrunners. And then we have a couple posters on the other board (not W&G) saying they have sources who say it's a done deal, Wally/JJ/1st for Amare. Those last posters do not have any track record, so take that with a grain of salt.

So what's the point? The point is, we know absolutely nothing, and likely won't until either the trade breaks, or the deadline passes.

19 Action News says were front runners too, and also this

Stoudemire, their supremely athletic young forward, has been the subject of trade rumors for weeks. Chicago, Cleveland, Portland and Memphis are reportedly in pursuit. (Miami also had interest but instead acquired Jermaine O’Neal on Friday, in a trade for the former Sun Shawn Marion.) There are whispers that Phoenix already has a handshake deal but is waiting until after the All-Star Game to make it official.

From http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/14/sport ... ref=sports

Kerr and Ferry are very good Friend remember...
And Sarver need Real Estate help from Gilbert...
and we can trade snow to a third team to get another young player for the Suns
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:00 am

Wine and Gold posted again, just when I thought this was dying down....

It's gaining steam! ZOMG
Chris

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:07 am

Chris wrote:Wine and Gold posted again, just when I thought this was dying down....

It's gaining steam! ZOMG

I was just coming on to post that. Jeez, I really don't know what to think.
StewieG

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:13 am

StewieG wrote:
Chris wrote:Wine and Gold posted again, just when I thought this was dying down....

It's gaining steam! ZOMG

I dunno man. It's insane to even think it's possible yet all signs point to it being very possible.
Chris

Unread postby drewd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:27 am

Chris wrote:
StewieG wrote:

It's gaining steam! ZOMG

I dunno man. It's insane to even think it's possible yet all signs point to it being very possible.

Like something like this

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... eId=dl3zxl
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:36 am

If you get a chance to read through W&G's post, do so. It's intentionally vague, but I think by reading between the lines you can figure out that he thinks the trade is close.

He's even changed plans to fly to Phoenix. Why? To meet with Amare? Probably not. Perhaps JJ has been traded, and he wants to be there when JJ gets to Phoenix? I really don't know. But the fact that he's changing plans and going to Phoenix is...interesting.

He also says that LBJ and Amare have been hanging out a lot. Take that FWIW. That could simply be them saying "wouldn't it be cool if we ended up in Cleveland together".

Also, yet another poster has claimed an inside source with the Hawks organization saying a deal was agreed to in principal, but not totally finalized, and that he (the insider) thinks the deal is with the Cavs.

And this is completely not related to anything, but I thought it was absolutely hilarious and decided to share it with you guys:

i don't think it's a good idea to play the waiting game with danny ferry. the guy will take all your assets, players, and drain your bank account, all the while making you think he's doing you a favor. After realizing how you have been utterly dominated, ferry will call you up to laugh at you while banging your wife.

You dont ****k with danny ferry.
StewieG

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:39 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby drewd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:41 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:Image

I had it earlier too, it's good photoshoping

The New "BIG THREE"

drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:47 am

^^^

Oh, my fault. LOL, I didn't see it.

I still want Bosh 10x more... but I guess I'll just have to settle. :TCF:
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby drewd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:55 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:^^^

Oh, my fault. LOL, I didn't see it.

I still want Bosh 10x more... but I guess I'll just have to settle. :TCF:

Bosh would be better defensively, but damn i watched some Amare youtube videos.... HE's a master of the pick and Roll ~~~!!! He'll dunk on anyone in the circle!!! and lebron loves to feed the pick and roll
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:56 am

So, apparently the Suns aren't biting on the two bids we made to them.

That sucks. I knew it was too good to be true.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby ProgRocker » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:58 am

Can I just say this kind of speculation is a Hell of a lot of fun?

Especially compared to the fustercluck that was the Browns' season last year?

Thanks.

On with the what-ifs! :pop:
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
ProgRocker

Unread postby drewd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:02 am

drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:12 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:So, apparently the Suns aren't biting on the two bids we made to them.

Where'd you hear this? The Wojo-whatever article?
StewieG

Unread postby drewd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:13 am

StewieG wrote:
Bill the Butcher wrote:So, apparently the Suns aren't biting on the two bids we made to them.

Where'd you hear this? The Wojo-whatever article?

ya don't believe that yahoo article guy, he's full of BS most of the time

Rumors Swirling About Stoudemire Coming To Cleveland
Posted: Feb 13, 2009 09:50 PM

Cleveland - Rumors are swirling about the Cavaliers being the frontrunner to land Phoenix Suns all star forward Amar'e Stoudemire.

Packages reportedly would include a combination of expiring contracts, young players, draft picks, and cash.

With the All Star game this weekend, there cannot be any deals made until Monday. The trading deadline is Thursday afternoon.

http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... v=menu68_4
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:24 am

Cool. I'd still rather have Bosh.

(I'm just hoping that if/when the trade goes down... all the articles regarding the potential trade all had typos and meant to type in "Bosh" instead of "Stoudemire" and "Raptors" instead of "Suns". I can hope, right?)

And drewd... I just saw you posted on the Suns board at RealGM.com. Needless to say, I lmao'd.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby drewd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:30 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:Cool. I'd still rather have Bosh.

(I'm just hoping that if/when the trade goes down... all the articles regarding the potential trade all had typos and meant to type in "Bosh" instead of "Stoudemire" and "Raptors" instead of "Suns". I can hope, right?)

And drewd... I just saw you posted on the Suns board at RealGM.com. Needless to say, I lmao'd.

lmao i had to post that picture lol
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:37 am

I'm dumb... what's this Wine & Gold source of Cavs news?
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby CharacterIV » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:16 am

Ziner wrote:Boobie wears #1 not #32.

Stoudemire wears #1, but used to wear #32. He switched after coming back from the knee injury. I saw a bit on it from ESPN, and he said something to the effect of "now I'm all about being #1, and I want everyone to know that." I found it slightly discouraging; it's nice to see the drive to be the absolute best you can be from any player, but the egotism of the statement was fairly obvious.

Edit: can someone post up a link to Wine & Gold's latest? I'm not even entirely sure I recall the name of the site he posts on; I've only gotten his info second-hand from here. Thanks.
CharacterIV

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:20 am

W&G posted developments well after Wojo posted his article.

Sooo yeah. Wojo is a moron.

And Wine and Gold, for the guy who asked, is a reputable Cavaliers insider on RealCavsFan. Normally I dont take internet sources seriously but this guy is legit. Trust me.
Chris

Unread postby drewd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:33 am

Rumors of trade orbiting Suns' star Stoudemire says joining Cavs is one possibility

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports writer
Published on Saturday, Feb 14, 2009

PHOENIX: Trade rumors continue to swirl around the Phoenix Suns' Amare Stoudemire, but the Cavaliers have not been one of the teams most prominently discussed as a possible destination. In fact, they seem a long shot.

But Stoudemire mentioned the Cavs during Friday's interview session for Sunday's NBA All-Star Game and seemed amenable to becoming a teammate of LeBron James.

''I think something might happen. I don't know about Chicago, I don't know about Cleveland, but any team I go to I'd like it to be a contender,'' Stoudemire said.

Reportedly, the Suns want some young stars as part of a package, which might scare off Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry. Stoudemire has not seemed to take a liking to the defense-first mentality of embattled Suns coach Terry Porter, which wouldn't go over well with the Cavs' Mike Brown. Stoudemire put the odds as 60-40 he would remain with the Suns after Thursday's trade deadline.

Asked if he would be a fit in Cleveland, Stoudemire said: ''Why not? Are you kidding me? I play with LeBron with USA Basketball; it's a great combination.''

James didn't seem anxious to talk about Stoudemire on Friday.

''That's definitely for Steve Kerr and the front office in Phoenix to comment on,'' James said of Kerr, the Suns' general manager. ''I think he's a very good player, but I can't comment on whether it would be a devastation for the city or for their franchise. They still have great players in Steve Nash, he's definitely unbelievable, and they have really good players after him, too.''

Making his fourth All-Star appearance in his sixth year in the league, the 6-foot-10 Stoudemire is averaging 21.0 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.0 assists this season. But the Suns are 28-23 and ninth in the Western Conference, one-half game out of the playoffs.

The rumors might be a distraction, but Stoudemire doesn't seem fazed.

''I like it,'' he said. ''Why not? I've got 20 teams, maybe even more, calling my agent every day about acquiring me. It feels good to know teams want me and they appreciate my game. For the Phoenix Suns, if we could stop the rumors it would be good. But it's not going to happen.

''Everybody's trying to figure out whether we're trying to save money or whether we're trying to win a title. From a currency standpoint, they want players with expiring contracts and draft picks. That lets me know they're not trying to make a blockbuster trade.''

What also baffles Stoudemire is why the Suns would want to trade him, while they still have Nash, 35, and Shaquille O'Neal and Grant Hill, both 36.

''That's definitely a question,'' he said. ''I'm 26 years old, one of the young rising stars in the league. I was trying to figure out why they would want to trade me.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/39604792.html
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby CharacterIV » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:43 am

drewd wrote:
Rumors of trade orbiting Suns' star Stoudemire says joining Cavs is one possibility

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports writer
Published on Saturday, Feb 14, 2009

...The rumors might be a distraction, but Stoudemire doesn't seem fazed.

''I like it,'' he said. ''Why not? I've got 20 teams, maybe even more, calling my agent every day about acquiring me. It feels good to know teams want me and they appreciate my game. For the Phoenix Suns, if we could stop the rumors it would be good. But it's not going to happen.

''Everybody's trying to figure out whether we're trying to save money or whether we're trying to win a title. From a currency standpoint, they want players with expiring contracts and draft picks. That lets me know they're not trying to make a blockbuster trade.''

What also baffles Stoudemire is why the Suns would want to trade him, while they still have Nash, 35, and Shaquille O'Neal and Grant Hill, both 36.

''That's definitely a question,'' he said. ''I'm 26 years old, one of the young rising stars in the league. I was trying to figure out why they would want to trade me.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/39604792.html

Ooh. Everything Amar'e says makes me think he's less and less likely to buy into the Cleveland Cavalier team concept. Especially that last bit. I'm just reminding myself: "LeBron says the same kinda stuff, LeBron says the same kinda stuff, LeBron says the same kinda stuff..."
CharacterIV

Unread postby buckeye319 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:50 am

CharacterIV wrote:Edit: can someone post up a link to Wine & Gold's latest? I'm not even entirely sure I recall the name of the site he posts on; I've only gotten his info second-hand from here. Thanks.

The latest from Wine and Gold:

OK ....Got back earlier than I thought, but, I'm crashing early and getting an earlier flight tomorrow and heading out to Phoenix for the weekend. Had some late plans change, and I'll have to handle a few things there.

What a day this is turning out to be ...what a weekend should I say.

I have to be careful here guys ... we have no "handshake deal" right now. ok.

We've obviously been in alot of talks with alot of teams. We have a clear priority established as to how we would like things to go for us, with standing pat always an option that we can ultimately go with, and still be happy moving forward.

Being a big part in JJ's early pro career here, going through this is especially tough for me right now. But, when you get into pro ball, this is the reality of the game. Careers can change on a moments notice, and you have to be prepared for anything, at anytime.

Like I say, no handshake deal has been made, and only Phoenix and Amare know precisely where they stand. But, something looks to be happening out in Phoenix. I've found out that Amare and Lebron have been talking, and I think that when I connect the dots, we may have a real deal want and desire for these two to join forces in Cleveland. This could mean for the foreseeable future.

Amare wouldn't want to come here for another short term stint, and if he didn't get the impression from Lebron that he was going to commit longterm, then you wouldn't have them looking to pair up here.

I've always been looking to find that player that would ultimately have circumstances for them coincide with ours , at the right time, in order to finally find the missing piece that would ultimately pair with Lebron James and provide him with the team needed to bring him the multiple championships.

This could be the prelude to just that..

If Amare would make his wishes known, he would eliminate all the competition basically. No team is going to give up the farm for a one year rental player, that would be unhappy to boot during that tenure.

In a way, if Amare's wishes are what they appear to be, he is going to basically name his destination here. But, the reality is ...if Lebron wants it, it happens, if he doesn't it doesn't.

Lebron wants it. Amare could be on board with that same view of the future potential of their pairing as well.

To make it short and sweet ... it's not a done deal. I don't know for a fact that Lebron and Amare are of like minds ... I don't know that Phoenix might not get another offer that's better ...like say from a team like the Knicks for instance ...and Amare at the last second might have a chance to rejoin D'Antoni in NY and thoughts change at that moment ... those possiblities exist here ...

But, the way I'm reading things right now ...I think we might have a real deal shot at landing him right now. Certain things that I can't really get into specifics about now ..I read as very positive signs that this could ultimately end up getting done.

If it doesn't, then we seem to have some other options available to us as well. I've spelled some of the basics of some of the other type deals that we might be looking for out in some past threads ...everyone if they have been reading what I've been posting knows what type options we are looking at and exploring.

We've had the dream scenarios, all the way down to the smaller ones in the Joe Smith mold, we have the swingman options, and even the status quo.

Just last night at this time I was of the belief that nothing of this caliber looked to be on the horizon, and whaddaya know now I'm heading west and we might be actually in the hunt on this thing.

I still keep falling back on the belief that someone should be able to offer up more than us that has a strong future as well ...but, as I look at the options being mentioned, it clearly looks like we are the most likely option that exists as I type.

Keep your fingers crossed ...don't know if I'll get much sleep tonight, but , the next time you hear from me I will likely be checked in , in Phoenix.

All in all, it sounds to me like we have as much a shot as any other team, but that doesn't mean its likely per se.
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby BooyaCS » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 am

The only thing is if you are reading between the lines there is potentially more there.

He was moved by JJ and the start of his career. So he is going to Phoenix instead of coming back to Cleveland? Why?

Lebron and Amare have been talking but we are also failing to realize that the entire Cavs coaching staff is there as well.

So we have Ferry, Brown, Coaches, W&G all in Phoenix or heading to Phoenix. An awful lot of people there just for the All Star game.
BooyaCS

Unread postby petes999 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:34 am

For those who want Bosh, I agree if its Bosh or Stoudemire, than you take him. However, it's not.

With Bosh, you lose Varejao, Sasha and possible a major player. With Stoudemire, you may still get Bosh. Sounds ridiculous, yet is it?

To get Bosh, we have to stand pat until next year and lose Varejao this year as he has played into a new contract (at times) and possibly renounce Sasha rights to have enough room (him or Z next year). With Stoudemire, we get to do other moves like being the highest payer for Varejao and Sasha and resign Z to a smaller contract. Plus,you have a $14 million exemption in Wallace.

Now, imagine this -- If it take JJ + 1st + Wally (maybe Gibson from someone else on another sight per LA rumors), you still have Sasha and Varejao. Now, you resign Varejao at year end (for $1 to $2 million more than market value to play the bench).

You then go into next year and trade Ben at the deadline plus 1 or 2 firsts plus either Sasha or Varejao and who do you think you can get? Now, let's assume Lebron knows who he wants and says Cleveland is the place to be, who will take that player knowing that he only wants to play in Cleveland? Now, we have the trading chips to get that person as well (maybe not Wade or Bosh) but someone on the 2nd tier.

Now, this wouldn't happen, yet say we add West to Wallace ... what kind of SG can we get? Redd, Wade (probably not as Miami wouldn't do it), someone else??? Or, would Toronto, take West + Wallace plus 2 first round picks knowing they will lose Bosh at next trading deadline? Who would have more to trade for him, if Bosh says he wants to play in Cleveland and not in ________ (proposed trade partner)? It's wishful thinking ... yet not totally impossible.

Imagine Stoud., Lebron, Bosh, Mo + filler at SG (Sasha??? or Wally signed back at mid-level exemption) with Varejao as 6th man. If we resign Z, we can even bring Lebron to SG at times .... no one has the size to stop them all (Lebron, Bosh, Stoudemire, Z).
petes999

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:37 am

Just curious. Where does W&G post?

I'll tell you what. I'm very excited about our chances. Amare obviously brings a lot of interior offense that is much needed. Especially when Z stretches the floor with his 17 foot jumper. Little worried about his D. I know coach and lebron would really stress this. But it seems to me he lacks some basketball IQ on the defensive end.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:39 am

NBA rumors swirl about Cleveland Cavaliers having a chance to get Amar'e Stoudemire
by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter Friday February 13, 2009, 8:40 PM

The rumor mill surrounding the NBA trade market exploded Friday following the first major trade of deadline season with Shawn Marion moving from Miami to Toronto for Jermaine O'Neal.

In its wake, several media outlets, including ESPN, hinted the Cavs have emerged as contenders for the Phoenix Suns' Amar'e Stoudemire.

According to multiple league sources, the Cavs have indeed had talks with the Suns since Stoudemire became available and have discussed various packages that would work, including expiring contracts, draft picks, cash and young players, namely rookie J.J. Hickson.

However, the Cavs still aren't sure they truly want to alter their chemistry and also believe there are other teams offering the Suns more attractive packages. At this point, team officials believe such a deal has a very slim chance of happening for both of these reasons.

Suns GM Steve Kerr has said publicly that the team has not made a firm decision on whether to trade Stoudemire. Because of All-Star Weekend, there will be no transactions permitted until next week.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:55 am

greatgoo wrote:NBA rumors swirl about Cleveland Cavaliers having a chance to get Amar'e Stoudemire

The rumor mill surrounding the NBA trade market exploded Friday following the first major trade of deadline season with Shawn Marion moving from Miami to Toronto for Jermaine O'Neal.

In its wake, several media outlets, including ESPN, hinted the Cavs have emerged as contenders for the Phoenix Suns' Amar'e Stoudemire.

According to multiple league sources, the Cavs have indeed had talks with the Suns since Stoudemire became available and have discussed various packages that would work, including expiring contracts, draft picks, cash and young players, namely rookie J.J. Hickson.

However, the Cavs still aren't sure they truly want to alter their chemistry and also believe there are other teams offering the Suns more attractive packages. At this point, team officials believe such a deal has a very slim chance of happening for both of these reasons.

Suns GM Steve Kerr has said publicly that the team has not made a firm decision on whether to trade Stoudemire. Because of All-Star Weekend, there will be no transactions permitted until next week.

In relation to how fast this news is coming from W&G and other people, that article from Windy is fairly old. The big fish dropped around midnight from W&G.
Chris

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Get it done. You add him, and I firmly believe we are on par with the Lakers and are even money to win it all. Without him, I am unsure still we get past Boston in the EC Finals and even if we do we are toast against the Lakers in 5 or 6 games in the Finals. Someone like Stoudamire or Bosh is what is missing from making this team a Bulls-like dynasty.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:50 pm

Consigliere wrote:Get it done. You add him, and I firmly believe we are on par with the Lakers and are even money to win it all. Without him, I am unsure still we get past Boston in the EC Finals and even if we do we are toast against the Lakers in 5 or 6 games in the Finals. Someone like Stoudamire or Bosh is what is missing from making this team a Bulls-like dynasty.

Sincerely,
Vince Carter and Allen Iverson

Its a gamble. If Amare buys into the Cavs' philosophy, if Amare finds a defensive game, and if we can roll with Ben in a diminished role, then we're all getting ponies for Christmas. For Wally and draft picks, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's chump change. For a package including JJ? I'm less sold on that. JJ has a future in the Association, and risking that future on the chance that Amare finds his inner 'Sheed is something I'd like to have a lot more confidence in than I do right now.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:56 pm

I keep reading this thread and trying to convince myself that it is the right thing to do. If Amare buys into the defensive philosophy it's a no brainer. If Amare wants to sign a long term deal, it's a no brainer. If Amare can handle being the second option (third if Mo is hot) it's a no brainer. Those are 3 big IF's.

I like the flexibility this creates for Roker as far as lineups on the floor. Less reliance on Mo to carry the lineup when LBJ sits. Now you don't have to pray that AV 'feels' it when he has the ball.

I'm now on the side of the fence that says if this can be done, do it
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:06 pm

The biggest weakness of the Lakers is the inability to defend the high pick and roll. Amare+the King would make the Cavs very dangerous to the current favorites.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Get it done. You add him, and I firmly believe we are on par with the Lakers and are even money to win it all. Without him, I am unsure still we get past Boston in the EC Finals and even if we do we are toast against the Lakers in 5 or 6 games in the Finals. Someone like Stoudamire or Bosh is what is missing from making this team a Bulls-like dynasty.

Sincerely,

Its a gamble. If Amare buys into the Cavs' philosophy, if Amare finds a defensive game, and if we can roll with Ben in a diminished role, then we're all getting ponies for Christmas. For Wally and draft picks, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's chump change. For a package including JJ? I'm less sold on that. JJ has a future in the Association, and risking that future on the chance that Amare finds his inner 'Sheed is something I'd like to have a lot more confidence in than I do right now.

You forgot one "if".

"if" JJ has a in future in the Association.
GreatGoo

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Sincerely,

Sincerely,

Rasheed Wallace

Yeah, there are pros and cons at play here for sure. And there have been trades like this in the past which have helped/hurt a team. Depends on the color of your glasses at this time I suppose.

To me, without the addition of a player like Stoudamire or another high level front court player, we're going home in a hard fought seven game series with Boston in the EC Finals or getting thumped handily to the Lakers. We can't sit on the team as is....this is the year and the right situation to do it. If that means giving up JJ, then no problems whatsoever. He's not going to be a stud....maybe a solid starter or role player, but nothing to worry about losing considering his replacement (Stoudamire) is an incredible talent and should be on this roster for years to come.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Chris wrote:
greatgoo wrote:NBA rumors swirl about Cleveland Cavaliers having a chance to get Amar'e Stoudemire

In relation to how fast this news is coming from W&G and other people, that article from Windy is fairly old. The big fish dropped around midnight from W&G.

Someone educate me on this W&G character. He works in the cavs organization and throws out hints to fans?

Most important question. What has he truly predicted before? If i wanted to waste time, i could pretend to be in the cavs organization and make vague claims. Then once the trade doesn't work out i claim something about Ferry not being able to finalize the deal.

Where does W&G post?
GreatGoo

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Reading that RealCavsForum only makes me appreciate TCF more. Yeesh.

And enough with the "I prefer Bosh" nonsense. Yeah, well, I prefer Dwight Howard. But you take what is available.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby RC » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Where does Wine and Gold post please?
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

PreviousNext